General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

i think im !@#$ed

Old 08-21-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
drunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of light
i think im !@#$ed

well if anything bad can happen- it can happen to me.

so i was on the way to the allignment shop yesterday when i heard a loud pop. the car continued to run but the battery light came on. i drive on and when i get out the alternator belt has come off. no big deal right. well i continue to drive on and suddenly the whole car starts bucking , backfires a few times and dies. i pull over and turn it bacxk on and it ideals fine and will drive for like a second and then bucks and kills itself.
so its at the shop right now and they think i fried the ECU. they said the tensioner broke and went into the alternator and the alternator grounded itself out and in return burned the ECU up. they are going to fix the tensioner and put it all back together and see what it does.
before i took it over there the ecu was making a clicking noise. does this mean it is screwed? anyone have a simular experiance with this? if so let me know so i can tell the shop before they go crazy pullin **** apart and running up a huge bill on my ***.
Old 08-21-2007
Registered!!

WilmncChris is a glorious beacon of lightWilmncChris is a glorious beacon of lightWilmncChris is a glorious beacon of lightWilmncChris is a glorious beacon of lightWilmncChris is a glorious beacon of lightWilmncChris is a glorious beacon of light
Re: i think im ****ed

Replacing our ecu is abit of a bitch. What check engine codes are you throwing?
Old 08-21-2007
Premium Member

drunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of light

dont know, ill try and find out.
what code do i need to worry about?
Old 08-21-2007
Premium Member

what about the Emanage? if it killed the OEM ECU, would it kill the Emanage too?
Old 08-21-2007
Registered!!

WilmncChris is a glorious beacon of lightWilmncChris is a glorious beacon of lightWilmncChris is a glorious beacon of lightWilmncChris is a glorious beacon of lightWilmncChris is a glorious beacon of lightWilmncChris is a glorious beacon of light

look for PCM codes....can you data record on the emange? if so the greddy box is fine
Old 08-21-2007
Premium Member

PCM codes? not sure about data logging on it, my tuner has all the software so i will have to give him a call if i cant get it worked out.

since the car will carnk and run a second before killing itself again, would this mean that the ECU may be OK? the idel did jump up and down though while it was sitting still.
is it in Limp mode maybe?
Old 08-21-2007
This is Myspace

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold

why would u continually try to drive the car..and restart it. u couldve saved urself a bit.
Old 08-21-2007
Premium Member

i was on the interstate. i only restarted it to see if it would restart and to limp to the shop.
Old 08-21-2007
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of

WOW thats a sad story
Old 08-21-2007
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)

skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all

the power circuit for the alternator is protected by an 80 amp fuse. i accidentally grounded out my alternator just 3-4 days ago and it just blew the fuse. It's there specifically for shorts at the alternator, i think your shop is giving you a crock.
Old 08-21-2007
Premium Member

so your saying that the amp grounding out, and possible sending a olt through the car, is protected by a fuse. what fuse is it so i can check when i go by there tomorrow?
Old 08-21-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

LT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to all

oh my.... dude that sucks... i think imma check all my belts now..
Old 08-21-2007
Premium Member

oh and would a bad ECU allow the car to start and idel or even move under its own power?
Old 08-21-2007
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)

skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all

yes and no, it would depend on what circuit/circuits where damaged.
Old 08-21-2007
Premium Member

well it would run for literrally 10-15 seconds just fine and then start backfiring and trying to kill itself.
i want to pull it out and look at it but i am not with the car. isn't it behind the glove box?
Old 08-21-2007
Ricky Bobby style, IWGF

02civic21 is a jewel in the rough02civic21 is a jewel in the rough02civic21 is a jewel in the rough

yup behind the glove box
Old 08-21-2007
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah there is no way its not fused lol the car could catch on fire. just turn to ON position and see what the codes are. and the clicking may have just been the relay breaking. check the ecu board for any burn marks
Old 08-21-2007
Premium Member

i heard the clicking was an arc.i will check for codes tomorrow when i see the car again.
KEEP THE INPUT COMING! +1 for your help!
Old 08-21-2007
Premium Member

damn i gotta spread rep around b4 re-repping
Old 08-21-2007
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

just dont pay them anything lol. sounds like they know less than you do. but it seems like something easy. just fix the alternator belt and fuse, everything goes back to normal.
Old 08-21-2007
Registered!!

rick1574 will become famous soon enough

time for k-pro...
Old 08-21-2007
Registered!!

bullet02ex will become famous soon enoughbullet02ex will become famous soon enough

i would take a look at it yourself before they start messing with it..... prob save yourself some money that way!
Old 08-22-2007
Premium Member

yeah i would try to fix it myself but the car broke down so far away from the house and i didnt have a trailor to tow it with. i always try to fix it myself before taking it somewhere but this time i had no choice.
from what most of you have said it just sounds like a bad grounding problem. i pray to god thats all it is! i will find out this afternoon when i go by there.
Old 08-22-2007
I Hunt Goats, Rams, And Mustangs.

TransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of light

question when you were driving did your gauges die on you as well?

My alternator went out *same concept as throwing the belt* and all i could do is drive on the battery to get my car home. Well when the battery started to die, my car would start bucking, and doing all kind of weird un natural things, such that you are describing.
Old 08-22-2007
Premium Member

yeah i expected all of the gauges to die but strangly only the water temp gauge died. i thought that was odd b/c last time i ran the battery down all of them went out and only came back after 5 min of driving and the volts getting up to about 12.5.
Old 08-22-2007
Registered!!

exturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant future

hit it with a hammer...lmao

j/k....hope ur car gets fixed up. k pro her.
Old 08-22-2007
Premium Member

i LOL'd when i saw you posted in my thread before i even opened it!
i knew you where going to say something about a hammer!!!

K-pro will be bought in a few months i hope.
Old 08-22-2007
Registered!!

exturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant future

lol, good times man!

how is the car coming along?
Old 08-22-2007
I Hunt Goats, Rams, And Mustangs.

TransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of light

I would check your alt and everything else first before i assume that its the ecu.. Im pretty sure its in a dead limp mode, not enough power to run the car. Try hooking it up to a battery charger see if it does the same thing.
Old 08-22-2007
Premium Member

we put a new battery in and it crunk right up and ran fine for less than 30 seconds but then went nuts and tried to kill itself again. idel was a little jumpy too.

Search this Thread