General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.
View Poll Results: My Civic is...
Automatic
29.20%
Manual
70.80%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Manual or Auto

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anteater is an unknown quantity at this point
Manual or Auto

Is your Civic manual or automatic?
And which do you prefer overall?
Old 03-01-2006
Registered!!

CharlieLink is an unknown quantity at this point
Low on torque

I ordered a manual Civic LX Coupe after test driving the automatic. The 128 lb-ft of torque (at a whopping 4300 rpm) makes it unacceptable for driving any kind of city hills like we have in Omaha. With a manual transmission, this is certainly more manageable. Couple that with an additional $800 for the automatic - I like the stick a whole lot better (even if my wife can't drive it).
Old 03-01-2006
Registered!!

imported_TunerX is an unknown quantity at this point
I bought the car when I was still amrried and my wife used it too and she doesn't know how to drive stick so i got stuck with the auto. I've been lookin in to swapping the tranny and installing a manual trans
Old 03-01-2006
Registered!!

92blk(ivi( is an unknown quantity at this point
I really wanted a manual civic but I was in desperate need of a car so I got stuck w/ an auto also....given the chance I would swap a manual tranny into it in a heart beat.....I have heard from several people that it's not too terribly hard to do...
Old 03-01-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 92blk(ivi(
I really wanted a manual civic but I was in desperate need of a car so I got stuck w/ an auto also....given the chance I would swap a manual tranny into it in a heart beat.....I have heard from several people that it's not too terribly hard to do...
I've gotten qoutes of like $1500 to $1800 to swap a manual tranny into my car, that's with the install the tranny and the pedal assembly. I thought those were pretty good prices considering if something ever went wrong with the trans I had now Honda would probably charge me double that just to put another automatc in.
Old 03-01-2006
Registered!!

Darth is an unknown quantity at this point
I cant drive auto's... Im always looking for the clutch
Plus it feels really slow.

How is the auto transmission in a civic? Its very sluggish in some cars.
Old 03-01-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Darth
I cant drive auto's... Im always looking for the clutch
Plus it feels really slow.

How is the auto transmission in a civic? Its very sluggish in some cars.
I can't stand my F...in trans, every day I wish I had a stick, the auto takes forever to change gears.
Old 03-01-2006
Registered!!

imported_Tricky is an unknown quantity at this point
Yep, especially as they get older. The lag in 2nd and 3rd gear, or cruise in 4th when they should be in 3rd going up a hill.

Sell it and get a manual
Old 03-01-2006
Registered!!

GoneIn60 is an unknown quantity at this point
i agree i love my manual there is no feeling in the world like downshifting or double clutching its gets my heart pumpin
Old 03-02-2006
Registered!!

I cant double clutch
How did you learn how to do it?
Old 03-02-2006
Registered!!

when id come home from work it would be late at night with no cars around so id just get the feel for it then once you have that its cake
Old 03-02-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GoneIn60
when id come home from work it would be late at night with no cars around so id just get the feel for it then once you have that its cake
Seriously ,what the hell kind of explaination is that. That didn't explain how you double clutch at all. Would you care to elaborate? I'm sort of curious myself
Old 03-02-2006
Registered!!

imported_Tricky is an unknown quantity at this point
Same here lol
I think he means he just practices when no one is around.
Thats fine, but how do you actually do it?
Old 03-02-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by anteater
I cant double clutch
How did you learn how to do it?
Im hoping you have a reading comprehension level above the 4th grade because he asked me how i learned to do it not how to do it there Tuner.

Anyway all you do is when u go to shift clutch and put it into neutral then clutch again and put it into gear with proper acceleration. It cuts down on the tranny wear and smoothes the transition from gear to gear, doesnt have that jerking motion
Old 03-02-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GoneIn60
Im hoping you have a reading comprehension level above the 4th grade because he asked me how i learned to do it not how to do it there Tuner.

Anyway all you do is when u go to shift clutch and put it into neutral then clutch again and put it into gear with proper acceleration. It cuts down on the tranny wear and smoothes the transition from gear to gear, doesnt have that jerking motion
Doesn't it take longer to shift that way though? By the way you don't have to get your panties in a bunch, so i read it wrong , ****ing sue me.Why is everybody always trying to start **** on this forum. Gooddamn, mother****er,son of a bitch **********, ****eater ***** licker(That wasn't towards you, I just did it to see how many words they would actually censor HAHA)
Old 03-02-2006
Registered!!

It does but as i said it cuts down the jerking motion of shifting and reduces tranny wear. So i wouldnt reccomend it when ur street racing but casually driving id do it all the time.
Old 03-02-2006
Registered!!

Double clutching

With regard to the double clutching, I have one big question:
WHY?

With the fully synchromeshed transmissions available these days (try to find one without it), the tranny does all the matching for you - there is never any need to match your engine speed to the next gear transmission speed.
Old 03-03-2006
Registered!!

The one big advantage is that if your you have any gears that grind occasionaly when in high rpm's double clutching will take care of that
Old 03-05-2006
Registered!!

Except if you mis-time the gear change when you double clutch.. i've tried it a few times and that has happened - i don't quite time slipping the gear in at the same time i press the clutch in.

I guess I just cant double clutch properly..
Old 03-08-2006
Registered!!

Dead_Pedal is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds like a couple people have watched The Fast and The Furious once too many times, I don't know how anybody that knows their way around a manual transmission should ever grind their gears at any RPM, Synchro's exist for a reason. I've owned several vehicles that I have raced at the local drag strip and never had a problem yet. In fact the gravel crusher in my camaro, which is way more of a bear to shift than my honda, is still fast enough shifting that I don't even need to take my foot off the gas. A little hard on the engine I know, but it's good for about 3 tenths in the quarter mile, and the engine only winds up about 250 RPM in the time that it takes to shift.

If you are having trouble grinding at a High RPM it sounds like you are pulling on the shifter before you have the clutch fully down, that or you could try running a lighter transmission fluid so your synchros cut the fluid easier.
Old 03-08-2006
Registered!!

Actually there Dead Pedal i went through this gear grinding excursion not because i watch too much fast and furious or i don't know anything about my transmission but when it came time to change my tranny fluid the process of trying different oils and such, you know trying to save a couple bucks on the expensive OEM brand but it comes down to buying the oem fluid from Honda that works the best. I've tried 10w 30 as it says in the manual, lighter and even gear oil and it comes down to the Honda manual transmission fluid that works the best.
Old 03-13-2006
Registered!!

My son will learn

I'm still waiting for my 2006 Civic LX Manual. My son finally agreed to learn to drive the stick. He has been reluctant, but it's good that he will learn, even if the Civic is less than an ideal platform for instruction. I would prefer teaching him on my daughter's '74 Vette 350 with tons of torque - very forgiving. But for real, he owns a 2006 Scion tC Automatic, so the transition should be more comparable.
Old 03-13-2006
Registered!!

imported_Sam is an unknown quantity at this point
He'll love driving manual. So much more control and easier to get up hills etc when you can control those gears yourself.

He wont regret it
Old 03-14-2006
Registered!!

Wadely is an unknown quantity at this point
manual for sure

gotta have a stick shift for sure, i get a better sense of control with the manual tranny, i mean with an auto you can kinna let off and reaply to get the car to shift when you want but your never gonna peak your hp and torque with an auto, not to mention sure you can neutral drop an auto but thats way more abusive than a little clutch dumpin
Old 03-21-2006
Registered!!

TypeR is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Wadely
gotta have a stick shift for sure, i get a better sense of control with the manual tranny, i mean with an auto you can kinna let off and reaply to get the car to shift when you want but your never gonna peak your hp and torque with an auto, not to mention sure you can neutral drop an auto but thats way more abusive than a little clutch dumpin

well said
if i ever drive auto, i dont even touch the gears at all, I dont see the point in it.
its funny when auto drivers try and change gears in the auto as though its a manual
Old 04-05-2006
Registered!!

Smooth is an unknown quantity at this point
I have an auto in my civic and didn't have a choice weather to choose AT or MT since the car was just given to me as a hand me down car. I've never driven MT but I would want to learn.
Old 04-05-2006
Registered!!

MeerKat is an unknown quantity at this point
you should learn then you can drive both cars.
Learn in an auto and you are restricted only to automatics forever.
Old 04-14-2006
dgd
Registered!!

dgd is an unknown quantity at this point
My car is a manual. It is the only way to go. Charlie has to drop a gear and let that engine rev. ( it was designed for it ). With my car I can hit 70 km/h ( 43 mph ) in first, 117 km/h ( 73 mph ) in second, and 185 km/h ( 115 mph in third.
Old 04-14-2006
Registered!!

Are those close to redline?
Old 04-14-2006
dgd
Registered!!

dgd is an unknown quantity at this point
That's at 7700 rpm, where the Rev. limiter is set.

Quick Reply: Manual or Auto