General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Buying a 2004 Civic EX

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
zen_master is on a distinguished road
Question Buying a 2004 Civic EX

Hi guys!

I'm currently putting my eyes on this super mint 2004 Civic EX Sedan located in my local dealer. luckily, it's not honda dealer, hehehe.

the car itself is SSM (silver) in color and has only 97XX miles on it! yes, 9700 miles.

the car has super clean carfax report and it only shows 1 owner in the past 2 years-2months period. it's also locally owned only in my local area. the car itself is in super mint condition as i checked the whole thing few days ago...

Now, the asking price right now is $14,897.

KBB retail price is $17,XXX...
KBB Private party value is $15,925

do you guys think it's a good buy for me? of coarse, $14,897 is NOT the price that i'm going to pay....i'll still have a talk with the manager to bring the price down....

what $ do you guys think reasonable and considered as good deal for this car?

thanks for your help!!

ps. is there any other place to get used car value other than KBB and edmunds?
Old 07-15-2006
Words on a User Title

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond repute
It's not a bad offer for the quantity of miles it has. Does the dealership know why the owner sold it back?
Old 07-15-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
why do you want to upgrade to the same car? almost nothing is different except its newer.
Old 07-15-2006
Registered!!

yes sir....and so many less problems compared to my car right now...

56K versus 9.7K......
7th gen versus 7.5 gen...

hmm............................

^the dealer told me that the previous owner traded it in for something new....
a Toyota i assumed, since the car is in a toyota dealer....

maybe...it's better for me to put my hand on this near-new condition car without having to experience the great-first-year-depreciation of buying a new car?
Old 07-16-2006
Words on a User Title

ramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by zen_master
without having to experience the great-first-year-depreciation of buying a new car?
I did not understand a word of this.
Old 07-16-2006
420 Member

BlackKnight008 has a spectacular aura aboutBlackKnight008 has a spectacular aura aboutBlackKnight008 has a spectacular aura about
I think I got it I think he was saying that he just wants to save money because he is buying the car after the initial high loss of value due to it being considered used, iono about the price though, mine only had 25k on it and had a few extra goodies on it and I paid a lot less then 15-17k. 15k kind of feels steep
Old 07-16-2006
Type-Race

doctor will become famous soon enoughdoctor will become famous soon enough
I still dont understand why you would trade your civic for another one? How much do you owe currently on your car? IMO, if I was going to spend money on another car, it would have to be a step up. Anyways, any depreciation for a honda is minor at best especially for the new models. If you have to do a trade for another civic, plz just get the new gen.
Old 07-16-2006
PWIT

CenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond repute
yeah im with the rest, why go from a 03 EX sedan to a 04 EX sedan? i would understand sedan to coupe or coupe to sedan. if its for the look, its prolly cheaper to just change out the front end. since everything else on the 03 is the same as the 04.
Old 07-16-2006
YUL
Registered!!

YUL has a spectacular aura aboutYUL has a spectacular aura about
I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to buy another civic if you're happy with the one you have right now.

But, if you car has problems right now, there's no guarantee that another more recent civic won't have the same problems or annoyances you have with your current civic.

Since you're looking at a Toyota dealer, did you consider looking for a used TC? keep your options open if you want to get a good price.
Old 07-16-2006
Registered!!

thanx guys for all the ideas/opinions!

well, my car is currently having a problem that i really don't want to spend $1G fixing...some of you probably know, my car is having a problem with the input shaft bearing inside the transmission....it's not very noticable right now. however, sooner or later, it'll get noisier and ends up with failing transmission...

i also have to perform brake maintenance on my car....something that i really don't want to do cos' i just spent quite amount of $ for my old 2002 Coupe's brakes, damn! lol.

ALSO...i really hate to say this....but.....WHY AM I KEEP GETTING ELECTRONIC PROBLEM WITH MY CARRR!! ARGH!
i posted the battery indicator blinking problem few days ago....it's not the problem with the alternator...it's just that my car is draining battery after its turned off...a short maybe?
all i know is that im gonna spend some $ again to fix this problem...

maybe i should've just bought something really new rather than switching from my 2002 Coupe to 2003 Sedan

it's really proven that going from 44K miles to 54K miles can cause more headache, LOL

as for why not going with the newest one, i really have to say that the only reason is money. i really don't have that much to spend right now of coarse, my dream is to own a new Si....but i have to wait at least 4 more years before that, lol!

oh, btw, "great-first-year-depreciation" = "the initial high loss of value", i guess...lol

i guess if im to have the 8thgen, i'll definitely get the 07 or 08 model, i think...

guys, i hope you won't bash me on this discussion...i myself is trying to get rid of this idea of trading with another civic from my head...lol

more opinion/ideas will be very appreciated!

Last edited by zen_master; 07-16-2006 at 05:29 PM.