General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

man, how long is it going to take me to get good at stick?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006
Dain Bramaged.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jester444 is an unknown quantity at this point
Stick with it, man. Yeah, it's hard and you may not like it, but you won't regret it once you learn. It's much more rewarding to drive manual than auto.
Old 05-31-2006
Registered!!

drive_fast_dail has a little shameless behaviour in the past
it can take a while, best thing is just stay driving it, and try to stay away from rush hour if possible, being in traffic just puts more pressure on you learning is much easier away. First time I drove mine alone was in rush hour to work, that was rough.

If you are having trouble finding the clutch point on the pedal the best thing to do really is just go in a parking lot that is flat, and just practice no gas starts in first over and over. If you dont use the gas you gotta be easy with the clutch and this is the best way to get a really good feel for it. Of course once you get better you dont want to be dragging on the clutch a bunch, but this is a great way to learn.

Also one thing that could be a problem, if you are used to an auto you may have gotten into a lazy too far back driving position (I know I was). Make sure you can at least get your foot flat on the fire wall in your seat position, this makes sure that your muscles have good control over the range of the clutch.

It takes time but youll get the feel of the clutch eventually, just give it time a manual transmission is well worth the effort to learn.
Old 05-31-2006
Registered!!

hawkz99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by dalaw
use the handbrake on uphill starts until you become pro at it.
I'll elaborate on this. When you're on an incline, pull the hand brake. Then let go of clutch slowly & apply gas slowly like you usually do. You'll feel the car rev & wanna move forward. Keeping the clutch & gas position the same, slowly let go of clutch & you'll only move forward, not backwards.
Old 05-31-2006
Registered!!

cleancivic 05 should not be trustedcleancivic 05 should not be trustedcleancivic 05 should not be trustedcleancivic 05 should not be trustedcleancivic 05 should not be trustedcleancivic 05 should not be trustedcleancivic 05 should not be trustedcleancivic 05 should not be trustedcleancivic 05 should not be trustedcleancivic 05 should not be trustedcleancivic 05 should not be trusted
keep at it u will get it
Old 05-31-2006
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light
For those that think rev-matching is the hardest part, I think that heel and toe is the hardest part, I've been driving manual for almost a year already and I still havent started. Probably I could get it if I ever praticed it or make it easier by moding the pedals a bit.
Old 05-31-2006
Dain Bramaged.

What exactly is heel and toe, by the way? I've heard people talk about it and read about it in magazines, but I have no idea.
Old 06-01-2006
diamonds she will pretty much have to

ex2k3 is a jewel in the roughex2k3 is a jewel in the roughex2k3 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by drive_fast_dail
If you are having trouble finding the clutch point on the pedal the best thing to do really is just go in a parking lot that is flat, and just practice no gas starts in first over and over. If you dont use the gas you gotta be easy with the clutch and this is the best way to get a really good feel for it. Of course once you get better you dont want to be dragging on the clutch a bunch, but this is a great way to learn.
That's what I said in my post that's how I first learned about my clutch grab point.

heel and toe is a technique that allows you to brake and rev-match in all one smooth motion. It's not necessary for regular street driving that's why no one has really mentioned it being the hardest because most people don't know or even want to try. It's not really hard, it just depends on the pedals placement. Our civics' accelerators are too far back so it's hard to stretch the heel back to it, it just depends on the car. I've found it easier in the civic to do the opposite, put your heel on the brake and blip the gas with your toe, but it might just be me.
Old 06-01-2006
Dain Bramaged.

Hmmm... That's interesting... I think I'm gonn have to learn how to do that. Not for any real purpose, just so I know how. Thanks.
Old 06-01-2006
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light
^^Just learn to drive properly for now, heel and toe comes later.
Old 06-01-2006
Registered!!

slicksivik will become famous soon enoughslicksivik will become famous soon enough
took me 2 hours and i never drove before in my life. was 14. wasn't hard. learned to drive stick and drive in general at the same time. practiced starts and stops in a school parking lot that was empty of course, and then practiced on back roads. just dont get jitters when someones behind you at a light and it turns green. just take your time or you'll screech and mess up.

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...light=heel+toe

read that

Last edited by slicksivik; 06-01-2006 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-01-2006
Dain Bramaged.

DDragon: No worries, dude, I can drive just fine. I just like to pick up on little tricks like that, no matter how useless they appear.
Old 06-01-2006
Registered!!

Actually heel and toe is very useful.
Old 06-02-2006
Dain Bramaged.

All the more reason for me to learn how to do it.
Old 06-02-2006
Registered!!

Chesskid1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hooray! I am now driving around by myself now, and I only stalled about 3 times driving about ~15 miles. I practiced in a secluded parking lot that has a slight hill, i did like 50 stop and gos on the hills. Not bad, don't really see the benefits of manual yet (seems like alot of work to me) but my friend rev'ed the engine up really high (6-7k rpms) and took turns like that, and it was alot of fun!! (and i was in the passenger seat), can't wait till i'm able to do that, confidently.

Last edited by Chesskid1; 06-02-2006 at 10:24 PM.
Old 06-02-2006
Registered!!

ctx66 will become famous soon enoughctx66 will become famous soon enough
the only real benefit of MT vs AT to me is that MT is much more fun to drive. traffic can be a pain in the ***, but its still better than AT overall.

Theres other benefits as well, i think MT is easier to maintain. Fluid changes are easier, drain and fill as opposed to flushing. And theres also less stuff which can break and malfunction in a MT, AT's are probably the most sophisticated part of cars.
Old 06-02-2006
Registered!!

Sypher is a jewel in the roughSypher is a jewel in the roughSypher is a jewel in the roughSypher is a jewel in the rough
I suggest for anyone who is having troubles with driving stick to check out www.standardshift.com . Great community there, and very helpful when it comes to driving a stick.