General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Who thinks CIVIC's are overrated?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nycivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Who thinks CIVIC's are overrated?

I am so sick of people saying to me. "oh you have a HONDA, they have great resale and are so reliable, good choice." My present HONDA is a lemon so, I dunno about that. I personally think they are are a bit overrated. there are a lot of cars out there in this class that are just as good i.e. Mazda Protege, Ford Focus, Mercury Cougar, TOYOTA Celica. I have driven all of the above and found them to be as much fun, if not more to drive.

Granted, my present experience with a CIVIC hasn't been a good one. I just think that CIVIC's are a bit overrated, people just don't want to take a chance on something that they don't see as many of on the road.
Old 02-28-2002
Registered!!

2k2civicballer is an unknown quantity at this point
you've got a lot of nerve...you're just a nooB...i'd watch what you say around here kid. watch your mouth, this is a honda driven web-site...i'm sorry but anything derragatory towards honda pisses me off because i love honda. and im white not some korean pride kid either.

[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-puke.gif[/IMG]RICE

just think before you speak
Old 02-28-2002
9K Redline Owns U
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Spider883 will become famous soon enoughSpider883 will become famous soon enough
we are all sorry u got a bad civic but hey **** happens. i love my civic and havent had but 1 thing wrong and it was small. i get great gas mileage and its a safe car. i know bc i got hit 2 weeks ago. so just trade it in for a new one

Old 02-28-2002
Registered!!

97civicex is an unknown quantity at this point

<< I am so sick of people saying to me. "oh you have a HONDA, they have great resale and are so reliable, good choice." My present HONDA is a lemon so, I dunno about that. I personally think they are are a bit overrated. there are a lot of cars out there in this class that are just as good i.e. Mazda Protege, Ford Focus, Mercury Cougar, TOYOTA Celica. I have driven all of the above and found them to be as much fun, if not more to drive.

Granted, my present experience with a CIVIC hasn't been a good one. I just think that CIVIC's are a bit overrated, people just don't want to take a chance on something that they don't see as many of on the road.
>>

if you liked the other cars you listed WHY DID YOU NOT BUY ONE! [IMG]i/expressions/moon.gif[/IMG]

i am sorry for your experence but you should of just bought some thing else. also if you think it is hard to find parts for a 2k1 just try to get stuff for any other car you listed.
Old 02-28-2002
Registered!!

nycivic is an unknown quantity at this point
When did I say it was hard to find parts for a 2K1 civic?

Yes, I have had a bad experience. But I wouldn't tell someone not to buy one. It is just my opinion that they get a little too much credit.
Old 02-28-2002
Registered!!

Vortex is an unknown quantity at this point
Celica is ok, but the others...

The Focus has had, what, seven recalls already? And the Cougar has had terrible reliability also according to Consumer Reports. I actually test drove one of those before I bought my LX, and it was worse than the Hyundai Elantra I drove. And Mazda is owned by Ford now, so I would imagine there's alot of parts swapping. It's a shame about the problems you've had with your Civic, but overall I think they're one of the best cars in the world. I don't think they are overrated. I've only got 3,000 miles on mine though, but I love it so far. Good luck.

Vor
Old 02-28-2002
Registered!!

astr033 is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't think Civics are overrated. I think all the accolades this model gets are justified.
Old 02-28-2002
Registered!!

97civicex is an unknown quantity at this point

<< When did I say it was hard to find parts for a 2K1 civic?

Yes, I have had a bad experience. But I wouldn't tell someone not to buy one. It is just my opinion that they get a little too much credit.
>>

you did not say that but it is a know fact! the civic deserves all of the hype. i have a 97 with 127,000 miles on it and i just installed a turbo and the thing is still kicking running 4lbs of boost.
Old 02-28-2002
Registered!!

UncleB is an unknown quantity at this point
What's up with all these people lately coming on here and saying how much their Civic's and Honda's in general suck? The small percentage that visit this site and the even smaller percentage of people that experience problems is definitely nothing to be worried about. I am sorry to hear that you have had problems with your car, it really is unfortunate, but to say that Hondas in general are not all that great is just plain dumb. Hondas are great cars and they have many years of quality vehicles to back it up. They have their problems like every other car, but in the long run, they come out on top. Don't let your bad experience make you bitter towards the entire company. If your car really is that messed up, you should see about the whole lemon law thing. ok, enough from me. peace.
Old 02-28-2002
Registered!!

KurupTLX is an unknown quantity at this point

<< and im white not some korean pride kid either >>

Honda is a Japanese company...
I love my civic and just because you got a lemon it doesnt mean hondas are overrated. Like 97civicex said... if you like the other cars better then why didnt u buy one of them? Some of the cars that u mentioned are cheaper so it cant be based on money... so WHY?

K-lx
Old 02-28-2002
Registered!!

jamesbbh is an unknown quantity at this point
ford focus sux royally and i like my damn civic
Old 02-28-2002
Registered!!

1973 is an unknown quantity at this point
hey, i wanted to beat on nycivic too, but you guys said it all, civics kick ***, never has there been a car that's more fun, reliable and tunable, all at the same time, there's no other car out on the market for this kind of money that you can drive like a maniac and not worry about in terms of reliability, my boss has a ford contour SVT that he loves to drive like a maniac, now there's an overated piece of sh*t, i thought SVT had something to do with performance, his ford's already burning oil and it's got 60k on it, that's not an isolated case....if your gonna bitch about the odd civic with problems, and it's relatively rare, then go talk to owners of other brands, just make sure you bring some tissues, and pls, sell your civic to someone who will appreciate it, then go by a focus and get in the re-call line......
Old 02-28-2002
Registered!!

avenger is an unknown quantity at this point
sure, my civics not the fastest but it has a charm! It sounds sweet with exhaust and intake and sound system, it rides nice, it looks awesome, its my baby. so it can't smoke everyone. I can rely on it, and i get a nice ride to my destination

[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-puke.gif[/IMG] nycivic
Old 02-28-2002
Registered!!

LexBoy is an unknown quantity at this point
ok kid i havent written in the forums in a long azz time

but this comment or opinion you have...what ever you would like to call it....is completely idiotic especially in a civic site you f*cking moron

Old 02-28-2002
BOOST JUNKY

SpdRcrChk is an unknown quantity at this point
I think you guys are coming down a little hard on the poor guy. I mean if you had a bad experience with YOUR civic, you would do one of two things....complain about and begrudge Honda forever. OR just shrug your shoulders and go get a new one with a smile on your face! Obviously he's not the latter.

If he had a bad experience then you can't blame him for being a little p.o.'d. Know what I mean? It's a known fact that Honda's aren't only great, reliable, and affordable cars, they also DO hold their value pretty well! And you know what? There's always a mistake here and there. I'm just glad that in this case, one rotten apple didn't ruin the whole bunch...and you shouldnt let NYCIVIC upset you either [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]

For the record, only problem I have with my Civic is that...I think my boyfriend is jealous of him! [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 02-28-2002
Retired - SoCal FI Mod

iamboo is on a distinguished road
so you basically join a civic forum to dog them... that's just cold dawg.... derek didn't make this awesome site for haters like you... go chill in a focus forum er something...
Old 02-28-2002
Registered!!

crazyjetskier is an unknown quantity at this point
hahahahahaha ford focus!! haha dude you have no idea what your talking about listing some ford car in there... i manage a detail shop and i drive all sorts of cars from piece of Sh*it fords to lexus's to corvettes and they are all good and it matters what your taste is now if your taste is in bad reliabilty fords then go right ahead....
Old 02-28-2002
Registered!!

trevor is an unknown quantity at this point
ha, that sucks,,,,,this guys gettin torn a new one[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
but anywho, Ive only heard about 2 people complain about their new civ's on this page and go get new ones......but that's not much at all.........just thank[IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG]that nothings wrong w/ my ride......knock on wood[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/IMG]
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 02-28-2002
Registered!!

lemoncivic is an unknown quantity at this point
So you mean to tell me that Derek put this site up for everybody to act like a silly fanboy and praise the CIVIC all day? I think a kiss-*** fest would get boring real quick. Be honest about your car is all he's saying. Responding with "f--you" and phrases of the like really don't help your argument. it is a fact that this model HONDA (2001) has received more complaints than any in the past.

And for the guy who told him to go get a FOCUS and get on the recall line....

...I don't need to get on a FOCUS recall line, I've been getting on the CIVIC recall line since last year.

BTW - already 4 known CIVIC recalls

seat rocking,
fuel line,
stalling problem.
paint defect.

Sounds real reliable to me. I really should just step off!!!!

See you at the HONDA Service Department with you're foot in your mouth. It's only a matter of time.!

Rock on NYCIVIC I got your back!

Old 02-28-2002
Registered!!

SoNiCcIvIc is an unknown quantity at this point
I think Civics are overrated...

Yeah right!

It's just his opinion guys... if he likes driving crappy cars then that's just him. If he likes being like us and driving a Civic, then hey, he's got as much sense as we all have. (And is above average!)

Look at the background of the Civic. Don't jusr judge it by it's 7th generation model. Seriously, take a look at some Honda history and see what made the 4th, 5th, and 6th gen Civics kick *** cars. The 7th generation is totally a NEW Civic that in a sense, stands by itself (right now) when compared to it's past generations but it's still a Civic. Get to know that machine you're riding it... before you judge it.
Old 02-28-2002
Registered!!

GabberHead is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh I should just keep my opinion to myself... oh no wait, I can't.... um... last time I checked, a Civic is a point A to point B ECONOMY car!!! I give props to you kids out there that try to make your first car a nice one by personalizing it but good lord, it's not the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Later,
Old 02-28-2002
Registered!!

uicmedruss is an unknown quantity at this point
Gee...whataya think the chances are that NYCivic and Lemoncivic are the same people? Let's see...they are both from the bronx, they are booth noobs (lemoncivic joining this month, no less) and they both have the same annoying attitude. Hmmmmm! I think I'll go out on a limb here and say that even if they ARE two different people, they are both equally ignorant.

My advice? Your civic has great resale value, so get rid of it, go get yourself a POS Focus and enjoy...

Oh...here's some sites you might actually enjoy...go on now, make yourself some new friends!

MyFordFocus.com
FocusFrenzy.com
FocalJet.com
Club-Focus.net
Old 02-28-2002
Registered!!

R3DF0G is an unknown quantity at this point
Go get a focus so i can kill you
Old 02-28-2002
Registered!!

<< BTW - already 4 known CIVIC recalls

seat rocking,
fuel line,
stalling problem.
paint defect.

See you at the HONDA Service Department with you're foot in your mouth. It's only a matter of time.!

>>

Who here has known a car that has never had a recall? Anyone stupid enough to say yes? No one's saying Honda is perfect, but the Focus doesn't even come closer to Honda's reliability.

Okay, but after you're done driving your Focus for about a year, you're already gonna need a new car for your complaints about it's hold-up... which it has none.... blehhh... go back to the Civic... it'll run circles around a Focus anyway. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]
Old 02-28-2002
Registered!!

kori is an unknown quantity at this point
if you got a lemon, shame on you for for not throwing a tantrum to your dealer about it. if you have and nothing's been done, shame on you for not taking it to higher authorities and throwing lemon-laws in their faces. i'm sorry you got a bad one, but do you think toyota has never made a lemon? cars are machines, and machines fail us. ALL THE TIME. why? because machines are built by people, and people are imperfect and fallable themselves. i love my civic. it's a $14,000 car, seriously, i am very pleased with it for what it's worth, i don't fell it's overrated at all. you asked why people don't have as many "Mazda Protege, Ford Focus, Mercury Cougar, TOYOTA Celica" well don't even include the focus it sucks. a cougar is a few thousand more, a celica is a few thousand more.... when our civic looks better than both of them. just plain better looking car. celicas are cute, i love their body style, but a 2k1 civic is both sporty AND classy looking.
Old 03-01-2002
Registered!!

Preach on, Kori!
Old 03-01-2002
FLY
Registered!!

FLY is an unknown quantity at this point
lol this is awsome lol some peoples kids lol[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][
Old 03-01-2002
Registered!!

Player1 is an unknown quantity at this point
I AGREE that the Civic is overrated but that's part of the appeal as well. As a result, huge aftermarket market which leads to more hype and you've got a loop there. And as a bonus, it's an affordable car meaning I can have a car that rocks. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

You can do so much with Civics it's crazy. And it looks really nice. I had trouble finding a nice looking new, affordable coupe except for the Civic. Most are sedans are hatchbacks (hatchbacks are cool too). I prefer 2 doors (makes it look sportier) so I went for it. I was considering the Mazda Protege5 and the Nissan SE-R Spec V (ugly thing) as well. Personally I am biased against all American car companies but I believe I have good reason to be. And I know a lot of you out there are too. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] Example: Ford sux.

BUT here's the thing. If I had more money, I wouldn't be buying a Civic. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] I like the S2000 and the Nissan 350Z coming out this year (for 2003). I just can't afford either of them.
Old 03-01-2002
BOOST JUNKY

SpdRcrChk is an unknown quantity at this point

<< So you mean to tell me that Derek put this site up for everybody to act like a silly fanboy and praise the CIVIC all day? I think a kiss-*** fest would get boring real quick. Be honest about your car is all he's saying. Responding with "f--you" and phrases of the like really don't help your argument. it is a fact that this model HONDA (2001) has received more complaints than any in the past.

And for the guy who told him to go get a FOCUS and get on the recall line....

...I don't need to get on a FOCUS recall line, I've been getting on the CIVIC recall line since last year.

BTW - already 4 known CIVIC recalls

seat rocking,
fuel line,
stalling problem.
paint defect.

>>

Um, you need to calm your [IMG]i/expressions/moon.gif[/IMG] down. I mean it sux that everyone jumped on you, but what did you expect? Your complaints...FIRST OF ALL should have been posted in the Vehicle Issues/Problems Section. And we're not sayin that we don't understand WHY you're upset. Hell I think we all would be if that happened to us. But one experience doesn't overshadow the rest of them. Overall, these are GOOD cars. I (crossing my fingers) haven't had a prob. with my Civic as of yet! I think with any new model / car there are always going to be little things that need to be worked out. Sorry bout your experience, but its not like its not fixable!
Old 03-01-2002
Registered!!

SOHCScreamer is an unknown quantity at this point
if you dont own a 7thgen civic. then GTF out here. go somewhere else and b!tch.

Quick Reply: Who thinks CIVIC's are overrated?