General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

2006 Civic Si Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
veloz is an unknown quantity at this point
2006 Civic Si Test Drive

So I'm out ripping around town on my day off, a couple of days ago. I happen to stop in the Honda shop and I end up test driving a new Si. Unlike most of the people on this site, I haven't driven many cars with VTEC....only an 02 accord with a K24 VTEC (160hp). The two hondas I've owned both have 1.7L non vtec engines.

So I pull out of the dealership parking lot, and when I'm just out of sight, I open it up in third gear....I'm thinking, this thing sounds wicked. Then I pass 5800 or 5900 on the tach, and the intake lets out a bark and the car puts me back in my seat. So I slow down and do this in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, amazed every time.

After driving this car, I have to admit I didn't expect the iVTEC engagement to be that noticeable. Is the RSX-S the same way? Does anyone else have opinions on the new Si?
Old 04-13-2006
The blackbeauty ES1.

jhonsok is an unknown quantity at this point
I think its the way the intake is set up as well. It was made for consumers to hear the crossover. Its almost like an oem cold air.
You cant really notice it on the type S unless you had an intake. Before my friend installed his injen, you couldnt really hear it..and now as soon as you hit the crossover..oh man, its just like a totally different car.
I'm glad you had fun with the car. The new Si what the 7thgen Si should have been. (Not really cosmetic wise because i'm a big fan of CTRs, but peformance wise).
Old 04-13-2006
Owned By Slo Rex

Day_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questioned
I dunno i'm not a big fan of the first gear on that car... it seems like it takes forever in first gear
Old 04-13-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Day_Tripper
I dunno i'm not a big fan of the first gear on that car... it seems like it takes forever in first gear
I think I know what you mean......first seems kinda tall, but after that, its like the car is in fast forward.
Old 04-13-2006
Registered!!

shaka-de-virgo is an unknown quantity at this point
hondas are always the best.
Old 04-13-2006
MAVS FAN 4EVER

jknudsen is a jewel in the roughjknudsen is a jewel in the roughjknudsen is a jewel in the roughjknudsen is a jewel in the rough
my friend has a rxs-s with headers, stock exhaust, and a short ram.....its loud but when v-tec engages its like you hear a small "pop" as the intake sound increases by like 50%....the thing pulled hard so i didnt really notice any difference....my friend told me that i-vtec is supposed to feel smooth, and that is why you really can't hear it unless you have an aftermarket intake....i couldnt really feel it pull any harder tho...
Old 04-13-2006
jdmtytedoridori
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Al Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of light
yeah, i enjoyed my Si test drive as well. too bad they were asking $24522 for a non nav with nothing extra. bastards.
Old 04-13-2006
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
the first gear is really tall? ... it's the exact same as the 05+ rsx-s's ... it goes to 40 mph like most sports cars ...

in fact, if the d17's 1st gear is even longer than the 06 Si's ... being 36 mph at 8000 rpms, instead of 40 mph
Old 04-17-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by aznboysrfr
the first gear is really tall? ... it's the exact same as the 05+ rsx-s's ... it goes to 40 mph like most sports cars ...

in fact, if the d17's 1st gear is even longer than the 06 Si's ... being 36 mph at 8000 rpms, instead of 40 mph
maybe it just seemed tall because i was going like 5mph when i put the pedal down.......what a tranny though.

aznboysrfr, just wondering, how high does your K20A rev?
Old 04-17-2006
up-up-down-down-left-right-left-right-b-a-b-a-start

R1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by mandangalo
yeah, i enjoyed my Si test drive as well. too bad they were asking $24522 for a non nav with nothing extra. bastards.
That's how much they're asking at my dealer... in CDN funds!!!!
Old 04-17-2006
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by veloz
maybe it just seemed tall because i was going like 5mph when i put the pedal down.......what a tranny though.

aznboysrfr, just wondering, how high does your K20A rev?
currently, 8800 rpms
Old 04-17-2006
RESIDENT ROTOR HEAD

nookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by shaka-de-virgo
hondas are always the best.
Looks like we've got the next generation fanboy
Old 04-17-2006
jdmtytedoridori

Al Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by nookiemonster
that post you quoted reminded me of MajinB

Last edited by mandangalo; 04-17-2006 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-09-2007
Registered!!

shaka-de-virgo is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Yeah!

Originally Posted by nookiemonster
Hey honda Civic are my favorite cars. im a Civic Fanboy-Fact.
Old 02-09-2007
Type-Race

doctor will become famous soon enoughdoctor will become famous soon enough
I have yet to drive the new Si but I have a R and I too, previous to owning the R, hadnt the experience of vtec crossover. Thanks to all the ricers out there that described the "kick" vtec gives, I thought you would literally feel the car jump. So I thought my R was "broken" when I first pushed it lol. How did the drive by wire feel? Was there any feel of lag?