General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

numbers stamped on tint?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
floorida is an unknown quantity at this point
numbers stamped on tint?!

Well I've searched the forum for close to an hour now, so its time I asked everyone...

I just had my '05 tinted last saturday by a local shop using Llumar Platinum Plus 35% all the way around. After leaving the shop I noticed that on all four windows and the back windshield there seems to be a stamp of some kind.

The stamps are each on at different angles and in differnet spots on each window. They all say the same thing:

EC 1753237
800 522 2774

Now I'm pretty damn sure these were not there before the tinting. I've tried to rub them off from both sides of the glass with my just my finger and they don't seem to be coming off at all. The tint's too fresh for me to want to try a glass cleaner of any kind.

So the question is -- Is this normal for Llumar Platinum Plus?!? Will these stamps come off with some good cleaning? I would find it very hard to believe that Llumar's film just does this... it looks tacky as hell.

I hope this is a dumb question and has a simple answer.
Old 04-06-2006
Formerly efil on evol on

Cptn. Slow has a spectacular aura aboutCptn. Slow has a spectacular aura aboutCptn. Slow has a spectacular aura about
sounds like it is a product code
Old 04-06-2006
Civicforums Junkie

FALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of light
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=VIN+etching
Old 04-06-2006
Registered!!

Thanks for the info...
VIN etching would be cool.... but I don't think thats the explanation. I bought the car new from the dealership last year and there was no mention of the vehicle being vin-etched, and I'm sure they would've talked that up alot.

But mainly I don't think thats the case cuz the number on the glass is not the VIN number

Anybody else out there get Llumar Platinum Plus? Can you tell me if you had any numbers like the ones ^^above stamped on the glass?? any help is much appreciated
Old 04-07-2006

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
xproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nice
haha... i called the number 1-800 thing on the bottom and it went to this thing were a lady says something like this.. kinda hard to make the beginning out but

"conversate with people who share your interests... call *********...." lol

i think someone was trying to advertise something
Old 04-07-2006
Registered!!

hotdogpilot is an unknown quantity at this point
go back to that shop and tell em wassup
Old 04-07-2006
Registered!!

free_refil will become famous soon enoughfree_refil will become famous soon enough
I have a code similiar to that on my civic. When I purchased the car used the owner had this etching thing in the windows. They all have the same code near the other writing on the windows near the corners. I have a pamphlet with the code on it and other info about the car such as VIN and engine serial etc... I keep it inside and it helps to ID the car if it's stolen
Old 04-07-2006
Registered!!

OMFG

I'll be damed. I got the 800 number wrong when I copied it down last night. Its actually 800 521 2774 -- which is the number for Automotive Administrators. After talking with them I learned that the numbers ARE in fact a version of VIN etching. Its not the VIN number, but a number the dealership etched on for the same reasons ppl do VIN etching. Mystery solved.

If only the damn dealership put the things on a little nicer. The lower corner of the window would be better, or at least on straight. Mine are all crooked and slapped on there randomly

I also called Llumar about it and was told that the reflective tint will cause the etching to become more apparent. oh well. Big thanks for all the input guys.
Old 04-07-2006
A big, hairy Kentucky boy
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

stinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to all
Originally Posted by floorida
OMFG
I'll be damed. I got the 800 number wrong when I copied it down last night. Its actually 800 521 2774 -- which is the number for Automotive Administrators. After talking with them I learned that the numbers ARE in fact a version of VIN etching. Its not the VIN number, but a number the dealership etched on for the same reasons ppl do VIN etching. Mystery solved.

We etch every used car we get in. For some reason they don't do the new cars.
Old 04-07-2006
Registered!!

car was brand new with 20 something miles on it

your guys are just lazy
Old 04-07-2006
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
ya i am pretty sure its etched into the glass. its a security feature some dealers use.
Old 04-07-2006
I brake for hairy Hawaiian midgets

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
manahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond repute
it's probably to help them keep track of what cars they've done (in case you need to go back to them, they will know that it WAS your car that they did)

so it's probably their own code, and the tint percentage, things like that.

A VIN for your TINT.
Old 04-08-2006
Registered!!

no no manahoonie, the etching was done by the dealership long before I had the tint done. The Llumar Platinum Plus just made it visible to the naked eye. I'm guessing any mirror tint would make any glass etch visible. Heads up for anyone whos done enough searching in these threads before getting there tint on -- if your glass has been etched, stay away from mirror tint.
Old 04-08-2006
Tomotor

xHoteKx has a spectacular aura aboutxHoteKx has a spectacular aura about
yup, it is a security measure incase your car gets stolen. i used to work as a porter at nissan, and i had to etch it on each window.

its done with this pink wax paper like strip that you stick on the window, then rub this cream on top of it and burns the number on.
Old 04-08-2006
Crayons taste like purple...

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
I've got mirror tint from llumar; it's the ****...dunno the % though...and I dun see any of the etches you're talking about...I still have the window sticker and no mention of etching on my '01.....guess it wasn't meant to be for my 1st year 7th gen...oh well...
Old 04-08-2006
Premium Member

04hemiboy is just really nice04hemiboy is just really nice04hemiboy is just really nice04hemiboy is just really nice
We have the same here in Canada.If you buy your car new or used with Vin etching and it gets stolen.You get $5000.00 towards a new or used car at the dealer you boght the first one.It costs $299.99 but that includes other dealer fees too.
Old 04-08-2006
7thGen's Loudest Civic...4,000 watts and climbing...

usafcushman is on a distinguished road
i read this because i have Llumar Platinum Plus tint on all of my vehicles, and i was gonna throw my $.02 in, but it looks like the question has already been answered, so i'll say this instead: 04hemiboy has a fvckin hilarious avatar... i may have pointed that out before, but times like this (i.e. when i'm slightly hung over and i just woke up) i laugh my *** off when i see it... awesome...
Old 04-08-2006
Premium Member

04hemiboy is just really nice04hemiboy is just really nice04hemiboy is just really nice04hemiboy is just really nice
Originally Posted by usafcushman
i read this because i have Llumar Platinum Plus tint on all of my vehicles, and i was gonna throw my $.02 in, but it looks like the question has already been answered, so i'll say this instead: 04hemiboy has a fvckin hilarious avatar... i may have pointed that out before, but times like this (i.e. when i'm slightly hung over and i just woke up) i laugh my *** off when i see it... awesome...
Don't forget it