General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

when you drive

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
when you drive

when i drive, i space out. i mean literally space out. i don't drive with thinking. its usually instictive.
idk why. anyone else? what do you think about? do you think about turning and braking and **** or is it reflex cause you do it everyday?
Old 01-04-2006
Registered!!

Zeppelin8778 is an unknown quantity at this point
absolutely a reflex. thats why i have crashed 3 times and ive only been driving a little over 2 years... not such a good ratio. but ever since i started driving stick it keeps me paying attention a little more. i may never drive an automatic again... cept maybe when im 70+
Old 01-04-2006
The blackbeauty ES1.

jhonsok is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah..i space out all the time..everything is instinct for me i guess..i mean, i somehow know where all the cars are around me..my car is auto, but even when driving stick..after a while..i dont even think when shifting..it just all comes natural..
Old 01-04-2006
Registered!!

noooorb is an unknown quantity at this point
Yea sometimes I tune out and then realize after a while that I did and I'm like wtf what if something happened. Then I realize nothing did and continue to happily and attentively cruise, untill it happens again...
Old 01-04-2006
Registered!!

AlienX will become famous soon enough
you guys need to cut down on the green
Old 01-04-2006
Registered!!

Matulin407 is an unknown quantity at this point
lol i was thinkin the same thing the other night. This happens to me EVERYDAY mostly at night, or when i have people in my car i will even forget i am driving period and say stuff like umm shouldnt u be braking now!! lol

Then im like oh.. im drivin!

one night i ran a red light and i was like WTF is wrong with me. I think theres a medical term for it, I "THINK" its road hypnosis.

that was the first time i ran a red light in 3 years i will never do it again, it was 1am thank god there were no cars. I slammed on the brakes midway into the intersection and reversed back to the light lol.... really was not funny when i thought of what i just did. skared the shiet outta me.
Old 01-04-2006
Red Hot Chili Peppers....bitch

RHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond repute
now that i think about it, its definatley an instinct, i dont pay attention at all when im driving, i havent been in an accident yet and ive been driving for over 3 years and i live in NY so i think thats good(knock on wood) i drive an auto too so i always think about other things than where im going and how im driving...yup
Old 01-04-2006
Registered!!

hotdogpilot is an unknown quantity at this point
sometimes after work, i converse on the phone while driving and before i even realize it, i'm already home.
Old 01-04-2006
Registered!!

Curiouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really nice
when i go somewhere and drive, im just listening to music or the sound of my exhaust and intake and next thing you know im there without noticing it.
Old 01-04-2006
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light
I usually pay attention to the road, but once in a while I would go thru a light and forget what color I just went thru, but good thing its always green when I look in the rearview mirror.
Old 01-04-2006
Registered!!

bOoStEd042dr will become famous soon enoughbOoStEd042dr will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by AlienX
you guys need to cut down on the green

i definately agree...not while your driving
Old 01-04-2006
7thgens official a$$hole

ajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to behold
only time I think about actually driving the car is when im trying to take somethign and push the limits and I think about rev matching and heal toe and where my boost level is. but mostly instinct.
Old 01-04-2006
<---- I am really this short in person!

fullgrown is an unknown quantity at this point
i also drive mostly on instinct. but...
basically isn't driving on instinct is basically driving somewhat buzzed from alcohol? if you are driving back home, you know all the roads, curves, everything. so when you are driving after few drinks, i think you're also driving on your instincts. so i think it's really bad if you just space out and just drive... but oh well, everyone here does it, including me... i'm writing cause i'm at work right now, but i'm still hung over from last night's drinking...and when i drove this morning to come to work, i just drove, thinking about nothing, and walaa!! i'm alreading parking and getting out of my car...
Old 01-04-2006
Registered!!

four twenty is an unknown quantity at this point
its definetly all that bomb cheebah you guys have been smoking, oh wait my name is four twenty that must be me hahah
Old 01-04-2006
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
I used to just "cruise" and space out, then I had to incorporate some thinking or rather, planning, b/c here in NYC, we have some of the most dangerous drivers around.
Old 01-04-2006
If Your Reading This Your Dee Dee Dee

Bad_Civc is an unknown quantity at this point
when i drive i space out big time... im listening to the cd player rather loud , not paying attention to the speed or rpms , just shifting ( i got a 5spd ) off the sound of the motor ...

i deliver pizza in my 7thgen and i dont ever really pay attention to the speed ...

hell last night i was cruising around with my friends .. well i spaced out and just was cruising down the highway about 115 ..i looked back and my pal ryan wasnt next to me anymore .. well he called me and told me to slow down.. i looked down i was crusing 115 where his cavalier only goes to 107 ( HAHA GM POS ) ...well i slowed down to about 100-105 and cruise controlled the rest of the way ..

i love my 7thgen .. its a nice smooth ride, quite at 5500 rpm and its always fun to drive..

Member #1 - Spacing Out While Driving At High Speeds
Old 01-04-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
The worst experience I had was on a weekend. I PLANNED to go to the mall, but I woke up after I turned off the Car in my usual parking space AT WORK, on sunday

Man that was eerie. TOTAL Autopilot. Driving sound asleep and accident free over 20 years.... must be working.
Old 01-04-2006
let the devil out

eye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant future
for that 8 seconds or less i'm free.. no just kidding I get into a zone when driving.. its instinct and reflex to drive aggresive because its really the only way you can avoid common accidents in texas the rest is just enjoying the ride
Old 01-04-2006
In love with Diana...te amo

boricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond repute
Well, I try not to space out, because when I usually do it, there's an old lady smashing the brakes with no cars in front of her and I have to lower gear plus brake, or there's a punk making an extreme cut with a crappy motorcycle, things like that .
Old 01-04-2006
Registered!!

fiatdale will become famous soon enoughfiatdale will become famous soon enough
I sometimes space out on long straight trips, but Im usually very aware as I drive thru towns cause kids run out into streets, or animals. Not to mention, winter time up here, if you space out, youre going to die lol.
Old 01-04-2006
Registered!!

jackburton will become famous soon enoughjackburton will become famous soon enough
WTF? Are you guys crazy? Even when I am blazed as hell I would never space out. Even as a passenger I find it hard to space out and not pay attention to what is going on. I like to be in tune with what is going on. I like to be one with the car, I like to feel the tires on the road at all times and know what is around me at all times both subconciously and consciously. I get in the zone paying attention in a relaxed way and use my gut as well, and knowing where things are with out looking, but I try to look as well. I still talk on the phone, roll blunts and eat while driving but I am still know what is going on, always looking for the boys in blue and that kid in the road who should be home doing HW.

I used to close my eyes for like 5 seconds at a time when I was really high, but in between i was still paying attention. I stoppped doing that awhile ago though.
Old 01-04-2006
7thGen's Loudest Civic...4,000 watts and climbing...

usafcushman is on a distinguished road
how the hell are you going to start a post like this:
Originally Posted by jackburton
WTF? Are you guys crazy? Even when I am blazed as hell I would never space out.
and end like this:

Originally Posted by jackburton
I used to close my eyes for like 5 seconds at a time when I was really high, but in between i was still paying attention.

funny
Old 01-04-2006
Registered!!

jackburton will become famous soon enoughjackburton will become famous soon enough
I was trying to explain that even though I used to rest my eyes while driving I would still be paying attention as soon as I opened back up my eyes. I remember each and everytime I did this. I would go "unconcsious" for a few seconds, but it sounds like people here are almost driving totally subconsciously. I would never not remember driving is what I am trying to say no matter what or space out like I do sometimes when I am a passenger. I just think it is crazy to not really remember driving.

Yeah I am crazy too or have been is what I was trying to say as well.

Last edited by jackburton; 01-04-2006 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-04-2006
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all
I try to shift, talk in the phone, drink a Coke, and watch the DVD player all at the same time. Sometimes I watch for pedestrians.
Old 01-04-2006
I just burnt my tongue

ragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really nice
that only happens to me when im driving for over 45 mins...like when i go from where i live to an outlet mall an hour or so away i zone out and drive on instincts...but here in LA when driving u cant let your concentration slip for a second...that second it does your in an accident
Old 01-04-2006
Registered!!

Yeah I went to NYC a little over a year ago and you gotta be on your toes. The first time I was a little nervous but by the time I left I was havin a real hoot!
Old 01-04-2006
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
i have not been high in over 1.5 years. it is all relfexes for me. and sometimes intuition. i like to see when cars are going to turn and where and how. yea its not drugs.
Old 01-05-2006
Registered!!

It just sounded like you do not know what is going when you drive.
Old 01-05-2006
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
wow i always pay attention. and if there is nothing to think about i try and come up with situations like hmm that retard looks like he might drift in front of me and that sort of thing. wow i can't believe i've been driving for 10 yrs. seems alot wow. and i've been in one major accident that i even saw coming but could not avoid. it was either sit there and take it, accelerate and change lanes where cars were coming, or try and turn but then oncoming cars are coming. alot of people really suck at driving. you should hear what goes through my head as i'm driving. pft look at that idiot going too slow, look at that guy going 20+ the speed limit, look at that can't even stay in the road line, no signal, can't press gas, ricer, polluter, etc. oh yea and if you try and make me do something while in the car, driving stops. this is why i only drive and nothing else. you can talk but i won't hear a word you say. i have the radio on but alot of times i've found that a song i liked is already over when i start paying attention again at a light. my only problem is i get tired easy now that i'm old. i can't drive more than an hour before starting to fall asleep but if that happens i just pull over and take a nap.
Old 01-05-2006
I log in from time to time

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold
to the people who have posted saying that you drive purely on instinct and reflexes, i have to call BS. if you're not even remotely paying attention to the road, then you would have crashed your car.

now that i've said that, when i shift, i look to my left. always to my left. i don't know why, but i'm always looking to the left on a gear shift. on downshifts i look straight. weird, huh?

Quick Reply: when you drive