General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

S2000??!!!? (REVISED ON 2nd page)

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02blackcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
S2000??!!!? (REVISED ON 2nd page)

ok, well to make a long story short im thinking about selling my vic'

a week ago i was getting a ride home with one of my friends from work, we got pulled over by the cops, he had weed in the car, i didnt know, we both got arrested and so on and so on, im only 17 and a senior at high school, so il probly get probation and mabye some junction or something, i dunno, well my parents arent letting me drive until i go to court and stuff, and that will b lik 2-3 months, so im thinking about selling my car and cancelling my insurance and everything over the winter, cuz there driving me everywhere, well i have a 2002 civic ex coupe, megan racing cat-back exhaust, xenon body kit, intake, blacked out headlights, altezza tails, altezza grill, 17" enkei evo 5 bronze rims, and no-name adjustable springs i have yet to install.
im thinking i can sell my car, cancel my insurance, and save up my money over the winter and get an s2000 in the spring, i need a little faster car, and i still want a honda, the only thing that is wrong with my car is the transmission grinds sometimes into 3rd gear, what are your opinions, keep my car, cancel insurance and stuff and get it repainted si blue and get a carbon fiber hood, and a new rear bumper for my body kit, or sell it and save up for the s2000?

thanks guys

Last edited by 02blackcivic; 12-13-2005 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-11-2005
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
wow you are always in trouble if i remember from past threads. geeze
Old 12-11-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
scansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nice
Save up your money and don't waste it on an s2000 unless mommy and daddy are going to buy it for you. Also, ever think about insurance costs? How much do you think you would get for your car if you did sell it, it being a modified teenagers car with tranny problems.
Old 12-11-2005
Nothing works better than a Chris except a Honda.

CivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of light
Go for it. You're thinking is logical, you can save up money to get a new car quicker if you sell your car sooner. You won't be spending a dime on insurance/gas/modding because you won't have a car for the mean time. I doubt you'll be able to get a S2000, but I guess, if you can afford payments on the insurance, go for it. Remember, for guys under 25, you might as well be a full time employee to pay off the outrageous numbers.
Old 12-11-2005
Registered!!

scansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nice
Also, do you plan on going to college.

Even if you aren't, I think its stupid. If you go to college, you would like to have that extra money for tuition and whatever. If you don't go, you work right out of high school probably making less then $15 an hour making payments on an s2k and insurance which means you still won't have money unless you live with ur parents.
Old 12-11-2005
Nothing works better than a Chris except a Honda.

CivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of light
Yeah, like I was saying too, if you wanted, you could probably go for a RSX or maybe the new Si because the S2000 will get pricey and pricier if you go to college.
Old 12-11-2005
"You leave me in the trenches taking Grenades, John"

Stachmo is an unknown quantity at this point
Even if you had the s2000...when you go to college, you dont wanna bring a car like that with you. I can almost guarantee that it'll get damaged or stolen within a month. Plus, like everyone else said, insurance is going to be absolutely unbelievable.

If you want a little more power, save up for a swap or a turbo...either one isnt going to affect the price of insurance, unless you tell them about it...
Old 12-12-2005
Formerly 2blu

Nick will become famous soon enoughNick will become famous soon enough
If u got the money, and can be comforatble paying insurance, i say go for it.
Old 12-12-2005
YUL
Registered!!

YUL has a spectacular aura aboutYUL has a spectacular aura about
you're 17 and you want to be driving a s2000? You'll need a full time job and a part time to afford that.

It's probably more likely that you'll wind up in trouble again and you'll need money to get yourself out of it.
Old 12-12-2005
Premium Member

kempster will become famous soon enoughkempster will become famous soon enough
the insurance on the s200 isn't bad, atleast not for me. i'm 24 my record is horrible and the insurance only went up 200 a year over my 02 vic. now some of the maintenance thats another story, tires alone will run u 1k, and the rears go on average every 10k maybe a little longer depending on how u drive it. also don't forget about snow tires for the winter if u even think about driving it with any amount of snow.
Old 12-12-2005
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
moving from a Civic to a S2K...... thats quite a move, especially at age 17..... I dont know many 17 year olds driving a S2K.
Old 12-12-2005
Registered!!

fiatdale will become famous soon enoughfiatdale will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by CuRiOuSfIsH
moving from a Civic to a S2K...... thats quite a move, especially at age 17..... I dont know many 17 year olds driving a S2K.
me either. And aside from that, youve really only had 1 year of driving experience. Granted the civic is a perfect for a beginner, but I think you could put yourself at risk of danger to yourself. I mean you are looking for something faster...get some more experience behind the wheel before you do. I know that all 16 and 17 year olds think they are the best drivers, god knows I did but I was very stupid too. Just think very heavily on this decision. Youve got the rest of your life for fast cars, give it some time.
Old 12-12-2005
Registered!!

Kyle23 should not be trustedKyle23 should not be trusted
go grab an integra or type S or somthing that wont rape u as much in insurance and wont cost as much to maintain.
Old 12-12-2005
The Beez Kneez

acidbaby will become famous soon enoughacidbaby will become famous soon enough
17yr old+S2000=waste of money! keep your vic!
Old 12-12-2005

Originally Posted by fiatdale
me either. And aside from that, youve really only had 1 year of driving experience. Granted the civic is a perfect for a beginner, but I think you could put yourself at risk of danger to yourself. I mean you are looking for something faster...get some more experience behind the wheel before you do. I know that all 16 and 17 year olds think they are the best drivers, god knows I did but I was very stupid too. Just think very heavily on this decision. Youve got the rest of your life for fast cars, give it some time.
Im 18 and my dad has an s2000...and on the rare occaision that he lets me drive it, I love it, but would never want one for myself at my age. For one, its got a pretty decent amount of power and even if you say that you would never race it, etc. its always tempting to mash the gas and run it to the redline, something that can be incredibly dangerous if you cant control a rwd convertible.

Also, like I said before, you dont want a convertible at college. Everyone thinks it would be incredibly cool to be driving around campus in an s2000 (including myself), but once you get to college and realize that your car most likely will be vandalized, especially since it has a soft top, its not worth it.

I would spend the money on your civic, or better yet, save most of it for college, things become a lot more expensive then you think (i.e. books, booze, etc.)
Old 12-12-2005
Premium Member

redem2 has a spectacular aura aboutredem2 has a spectacular aura about
payments are the last things you need...espicially while in college. no one is really gonna notice your car unless you go to cruise nights or car shows anyways. my parents bought me the civic and im greatful, but id be happy to drive my dads old truck. i dont really like spending more money on my car than id have too.
Old 12-12-2005
Stolen digital camera = no ninja picture for me

PoorCollegeBoy is a jewel in the roughPoorCollegeBoy is a jewel in the roughPoorCollegeBoy is a jewel in the rough
Your best bet for all of your criteria (keeping a honda, going to college, and getting more power) would be to sell the vic, assuming it is paid off, and buy an old hatch and swap it.

My 03 is paid off, and I figure I can sell it for 13k, buy an old hatch for 6k or less and spend the rest modding it. In the end I end up with a faster car, that is cheaper to insure, and just as practical.
Old 12-12-2005

Originally Posted by PoorCollegeBoy
Your best bet for all of your criteria (keeping a honda, going to college, and getting more power) would be to sell the vic, assuming it is paid off, and buy an old hatch and swap it.

My 03 is paid off, and I figure I can sell it for 13k, buy an old hatch for 6k or less and spend the rest modding it. In the end I end up with a faster car, that is cheaper to insure, and just as practical.
Thats what im contemplating doing, except with an 89-93 240sx hatch... sr20>b whatever
Old 12-12-2005

PoorCollegeBoy is a jewel in the roughPoorCollegeBoy is a jewel in the roughPoorCollegeBoy is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Stachmo
Thats what im contemplating doing, except with an 89-93 240sx hatch... sr20>b whatever
HOWEVER.... sr20 is not greater than a k swap in a hatch. In fact they would be fairly similar in terms of performance, and I am sure the Honda would be more reliable. Furthermore, unless you live in CA (I didnt look at your location), 240 are reaaaaalllly hard to find, especially unmodded, or unraced.

The 240 IS a great choice though if you can find it, and if you can do basic work on it yourself. I know from second hand experience that those cars are starting to have a lot of issues. My friend is on his fourth one all ready.

Check out www.hybrid-racing.com for some sweet videos of k swapped hatches.
Old 12-12-2005
Registered!!

isuzu5000 will become famous soon enoughisuzu5000 will become famous soon enough
you wanna sell some of your parts??
if so; dibs on the grill and rims
haha
Old 12-12-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by PoorCollegeBoy
HOWEVER.... sr20 is not greater than a k swap in a hatch. In fact they would be fairly similar in terms of performance, and I am sure the Honda would be more reliable. Furthermore, unless you live in CA (I didnt look at your location), 240 are reaaaaalllly hard to find, especially unmodded, or unraced.

The 240 IS a great choice though if you can find it, and if you can do basic work on it yourself. I know from second hand experience that those cars are starting to have a lot of issues. My friend is on his fourth one all ready.

Check out www.hybrid-racing.com for some sweet videos of k swapped hatches.
However its all a matter of RWD > FWD. I would much rather have a RWD car then FWD. If only K series were made for RWD...
Old 12-12-2005

Plus, I dont like the look of civic hatches, I'd much have the more coupe-looking 240sx hatchback. Also I think modding the sr20 would give you much greater results with a lot less money (since the engine is already turboed a simple turbo swap would do the trick) But this has nothing to do with the topic...so im done talking about this here
Old 12-12-2005
RESIDENT ROTOR HEAD

nookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of light
I have an 05 S2K and I'm telling you that 17 yr olds have no business with this type of car. It'll end up wrapped around a pole. The car is quite tail happy and if you're not careful it can be very unforgiving.
Old 12-12-2005

Originally Posted by scansel912
However its all a matter of RWD > FWD. I would much rather have a RWD car then FWD. If only K series were made for RWD...
I hate to junk up this thread any more, but I just wanted to say that Honda makes some highly capable FWD cars. Look at comparison tests in magaizines and FWD Hondas keep up with AWD and RWD cars in every measurable handling criteria.

I dont think drivetrain is a huge consideration for day to day driving, or even moderate track driving.

ANYWAY, you should definitely get rid of the car, or at least cancel insurance for the winter
Old 12-13-2005
The Beez Kneez

acidbaby will become famous soon enoughacidbaby will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by nookiemonster
I have an 05 S2K and I'm telling you that 17 yr olds have no business with this type of car. It'll end up wrapped around a pole. The car is quite tail happy and if you're not careful it can be very unforgiving.
ROFL exactly..
Old 12-13-2005
Registered!!

LiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura about
Why spend so much money on DEPRECIATING property?

If you have to "scrape up" for something as unneccessary as a car (at this point in your life) you really need to think twice about where your money is going to.

I know some people like to live by the moment but can you really picture yourself living paycheck to paycheck AND being a college student?

I used to blow ALL my hard earned money on car parts, going out, and other silly things I could have done without.
If I had saved all that money instead of spending it, I would have enough to invest into something that APPRECIATES and I'd be over a hundred times richer now.

If you have rich parents who are willing to pay for the car then it would be a different story.
Old 12-13-2005
Registered!!

Eeeeeeh is an unknown quantity at this point
I traded in my 03 Ex cpe m/t back in september for a 05 s2k. The civic was on a lease (as well as the s2k) and had 34k. It was weird because they looked at it for about 5 minutes and told me it was worth $11,000. It sidemarkers along with the rs grill and megan header and cat.

Anyways, We got as low as $28k for the s2000 and my payments are in the $200, but it's still on a lease

In comparison to daily driving between the two, it does have pros and cons. Being in the s2k is like being in a cockpit. One thing I do hate is that the windshield is perfectly designed to block street lights. The clutch feels just the same except for you do have to shift gears with more umph. I find myself missing 1-2 from time to time. People will claim of having to take the car to high revs but I find myself shifting under 3k around town and I'm in 6th gear by 45mph. On the highway I realize that you have to accelerate through turns or the car just seems to sit and lose speed. One thing you do feel on the highway is wind resistience from 18 wheelers, especially a few ft. in front of them. Gas mileage is good but I've never gotten 300 from a full tank but I do vtec it once or twice.

The car just seems keep a smile on your face as it cuts through the twisties so easily. You can keep gaining speed into a corner and then you feel the car literally pivot and shift balance. While driving spirited every shift feels so silky and redlining just grows to become more intoxicating. After installing the testpipe you can feel vibrations while in engagment. At 6200 Honda greets you with the harmonic tunes of the VTEC engine. The great thing about it is that you can feel transition in every gear. I've tested 5th gear at around 95mph and 6th at 120 you can still feel the umph. I've gone 120 with top down and 135 top up and still had lots more to give.

I have been to the drags only twice but have beaten modded 99-up Mustang GTs, Srt-4, Saturn Redline, Preludes, Type S, Integras, but I did get beat by a fully built 99 Si. The car won't give you the umph you feel from the Z or low end tq cars, its just started cookin while they're gasping for breathe at redline, but in return gives us much delight from total driver control over its incredibly tossable and silky smooth nature

Last edited by Eeeeeeh; 12-13-2005 at 02:23 AM.
Old 12-13-2005
Premium Member

04hemiboy is just really nice04hemiboy is just really nice04hemiboy is just really nice04hemiboy is just really nice
Come where i live all the 16 and 17 year olds are driving Hummers,Escalades,and Corvettes
Old 12-13-2005
Registered!!

genexrocket has a spectacular aura aboutgenexrocket has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by CuRiOuSfIsH
i know a 16 year old who drives one
n yea, i was thinking for the longest time of getting one too; but the more i think of it, the more i think that i don't need one in this point of my life...

Last edited by genexrocket; 12-13-2005 at 02:01 AM.
Old 12-13-2005
Registered!!

mrchowmein has a spectacular aura aboutmrchowmein has a spectacular aura aboutmrchowmein has a spectacular aura about
if you really want to show off in college, the s2k is nothing when you see the rich kids rolling around in their 911s, m3s and sl amgs. i really dont see the relevance of your post in getting arrested. you couldve not told us that, but now youre just giving us fuel to feed the fire regarding your maturity and behavior.

Last edited by mrchowmein; 12-13-2005 at 02:08 AM.

Quick Reply: S2000??!!!? (REVISED ON 2nd page)