General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

(It's ALIVE) 12,000 RPM + Turkey = Died Engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005
Why is my vagina bleeding?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nindoo has a spectacular aura aboutnindoo has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by usafstud
it went right in

Fudge I got to be careful when I shift. i figued if it slips in without resistance it's gotta be right and if there is resistance its not the right way. Now I'm freaked out, cause all the sporty cars ahve really short throws making it even tougher to distiniguish if your shifting right.

You autoX with the vic?
Old 11-25-2005
Prince of Persia

Yoshiemaster will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by nindoo
Fudge I got to be careful when I shift. i figued if it slips in without resistance it's gotta be right and if there is resistance its not the right way. Now I'm freaked out, cause all the sporty cars ahve really short throws making it even tougher to distiniguish if your shifting right.

You autoX with the vic?
don't worry about it too much. u know what ur doin
Old 11-25-2005
Registered!!

usafstud will become famous soon enoughusafstud will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by nindoo

You autoX with the vic?
autoXed about 5 times

i did open a lot of open tracks last year, the civic got about 2k miles of open track

20k miles of canyon running
Old 11-25-2005
Registered!!

thegent is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by NoSpleeny
no way... 4th gear at 190 will not go 9000... i want some crack too
well when you come from a town called Etobicoke, I can understand
Old 11-25-2005
Registered!!

autoXed about 5 times

i did open a lot of open tracks last year, the civic got about 2k miles of open track

20k miles of canyon running

Dude, did you actually enjoy your track days in the civic? Didn't you stop having fun after a few laps?

How much more fun is riding a bike, compared to tracking a civic?
Old 11-25-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by thegent
Dude, did you actually enjoy your track days in the civic? Didn't you stop having fun after a few laps?

How much more fun is riding a bike, compared to tracking a civic?
the bikes are crazy fun on the track. ur having so much fun and scaried going around turns up to 130 mph.

the civic was fun at the beginner level and intermediate level cause i was able to pass almost any car(best was a ferarri 360). at the advance level, it sucked since everyone is good at driving and they all had faster cars
Old 11-25-2005
Registered!!

update!!!!

just rode my bike 70 miles round trip to get my car towed in the rain

so far i spent $198 for the tow

the timing belt is off or snap according to the tow guy. won't be able to work on it for about 2 weeks due to work

looks like i'm going to have to ride my bike in the rainy season here in central coast cali
Old 11-25-2005
Prince of Persia

dam, tough break.
Old 11-25-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Yoshiemaster
dam, tough break.
**** happens
Old 11-25-2005
Prince of Persia

**** happens
was it worth it?
Old 11-25-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Yoshiemaster
was it worth it?
no

but my friend from cosworth was wondering how much longer my engine would last, at its 52k miles do to driver error
Old 11-25-2005
Prince of Persia

no

but my friend from cosworth was wondering how much longer my engine would last, at its 52k miles do to driver error
i guess you learned a lesson, but at a pretty big price. next time you see a corvette, just **** on it instead of racing.
Old 11-25-2005
Registered!!

dre2600 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by ragingSPAM
sux man...i've only seen few cars hit 12k rpms without a problem...like my homies DC2 type R with a spoon built swap it goes up to 15k rpms and has 450 hp... all natural....anyways good luck with the holidays man
Don't mean to thread jack, but your friend Type R goes to 15k rpm? I'm going to call BS on that, half the sport bikes on the road don't go to 15k rpm and their engines are pretty smal compared to a DC2, even the new Yamaha R6 only goes to 17.5k out of a -600- block.
Old 11-25-2005
jdmtytedoridori
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Al Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of light
damn, that sucks
Old 11-25-2005
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Jrfish007
In order for the RPM's to almost double that means the gear ratio of 5 gear would almost have to be double that of fourth, and it's not even close, if you're at 5.5k in 5th and go down to 4th, you'll jump to 7-7.5k. YOur RPM has a linear reasponse to your gear ratio, take look at the gear ratio's HERE

You'll notice that going form 5th gear to 2nd gear you go from 0.757 to 1.870 (for an EX anywya). That is almost double the gearing, hence the RPM's will almost double when going from 5th gear to 2nd gear. To hit 12k RPM, he had to of missed 4th and hit 2nd gear.
my whole point was i didn't think he hit 4th. sorry for the misunderstanding.
EDIT: do you still have a warranty? think they will cover it? i mean its supposed to stop you from shifting too low. idk

Last edited by MajinB; 11-25-2005 at 11:51 PM.
Old 11-26-2005
Registered!!

NoSpleeny is an unknown quantity at this point
well when you come from a town called Etobicoke, I can understand
You know where Etobicoke is...

Besides... @ 9000 rpm.. there's no way you'd only be at 190...
If our cars do roughly 84 km/h at 3000 rpm in 4th... 9000 would mean we should be going over 240... no?
Old 11-26-2005
jdmtytedoridori

Al Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of light

If our cars do roughly 84 km/h at 3000 rpm in 4th... 9000 would mean we should be going over 240... no?
i dont think its linear, its exponential
Old 11-26-2005
Registered!!

NoSpleeny is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't think our gears are exponential...
Old 11-26-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by mandangalo
i dont think its linear, its exponential

Linear.... the CVT tranny is exponential... kind of.... I think.... That tranny really screws with my head, I really don't understand the CVT.

But it may look linear because most 4 cylinders devlope more power as you get higher in the RPM range, so it looks like as you go it is climbing faster, but really the gearing ratios and what not are linear.
Old 11-26-2005

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all

I don't know about actual speed because that will depend on your tires and final gear ratio, the speed to RPM is not really linear because for speed you have to acount for final drive ratio and tire size, which makes things far more complicated. Hence the reason I stuck with RPM, final drive doesn't matter in the RPM case. But, I don't think at 9000 RPM in 4th gear you would be going 240 km/h (~150 MPH), but maybe, I'm not real sure to be honest. I just know a mechanical engineer told me the gear ratio and RPM are linear, maybe speed is too.
Old 11-26-2005

Originally Posted by MajinB
my whole point was i didn't think he hit 4th. sorry for the misunderstanding.
EDIT: do you still have a warranty? think they will cover it? i mean its supposed to stop you from shifting too low. idk

Oh, sorry about that
Old 11-26-2005

update!!!!

just rode my bike 70 miles round trip to get my car towed in the rain

so far i spent $198 for the tow

the timing belt is off or snap according to the tow guy. won't be able to work on it for about 2 weeks due to work

looks like i'm going to have to ride my bike in the rainy season here in central coast cali

see that makes sence... if the timing belt came off, that means the cam sensor and crank sensor are in desagreement which means you tachometer is going to go nuts and your fuel system probebly went crazy too. In otherwords, your tach was way off becuase it was confused by a bunch of different voltages.

In the end you may have hit 4th just find, but if the timing belt snapped, your tach just went crazy because of different readings and your ECU did know WTF was going on and sent weird messages everywhere.
Old 11-26-2005

ncirom2003 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by dre2600
Don't mean to thread jack, but your friend Type R goes to 15k rpm? I'm going to call BS on that, half the sport bikes on the road don't go to 15k rpm and their engines are pretty smal compared to a DC2, even the new Yamaha R6 only goes to 17.5k out of a -600- block.
you know engine size doesnt really matter much when your talking about redline???
im pretty sure that spoon itr engines redline at 10k though......heres a pic of a spoon sports itr cluster i forgot if it does but it might show redline.

yep, doesnt go past 10,500 so i hightly doubt they just ignore 4500 more rpm's

hey that really sux to hear about ur car man, hopefully youll be alright on your bike in the rain for so long. i wish i could figure out where to find out about open track days, sounds fun.
Old 11-26-2005

Originally Posted by ncirom2003

yup.... that's the guage cluster I need notce no speedo, you simply go as fast as you can, I like it.

But you are right, size matters not for RPM. Also remember RPM means nothing, piston velocity is what kills your engine, not RPM's. You could have a supper small stroke (like a bike) a huge bore and hit HUGE RPM's. I believe there is a company in England that makes costum V8's that hit 12,000 RPM's, I forget the name, otherwise I post a link. But I remember their engines have a super small stroke, huge bore and weigh almost nothing (for a V8).
Old 11-26-2005
Registered!!

But uhm.. if two engines with different strokes, otherwise identical, are dynoed, won't the engine with less stroke have less torque ?
Old 11-28-2005

But uhm.. if two engines with different strokes, otherwise identical, are dynoed, won't the engine with less stroke have less torque ?

Yes, a longer stroke will make more torque. The the smaller stroke engine could (if properly made) hit higher RPM's and make more hp before mechanical failure. So it's a trade off as to what the engine is going to do. In my truck, I want torque for towing, so it has a super long stroke. My GS-R on the other hand is almost all top end (although it has decent toque for a Honda engine), and ironically they have almost the same bore size, just huge differences in stroke, and the truck has twice the number of cylinders
Old 11-28-2005
Registered!!

avenger is an unknown quantity at this point
the stupidity is strong with this thread
Old 11-28-2005

Originally Posted by avenger
the stupidity is strong with this thread

well then, share your thoughts....
Old 11-28-2005
MAVS FAN 4EVER

jknudsen is a jewel in the roughjknudsen is a jewel in the roughjknudsen is a jewel in the roughjknudsen is a jewel in the rough
Anybody catch the part where he says he is going to report it stolen? Dood, you were being stupid when you zinged your engine, and you should be responsible for it, not lie and make your insurance pay....anyone agree with me on this??
Old 11-28-2005
Registered!!

AlienX will become famous soon enough
did u catch the part that he said he got it towed, there is a lot of stupidity in this thread.. ppl should just stop and drop it, its dead already

Quick Reply: (It's ALIVE) 12,000 RPM + Turkey = Died Engine