General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

4wd civic del sol?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jbmetalcore is an unknown quantity at this point
Question 4wd civic del sol?

i've been wondering if the diff. from a 1985-87 4wd civic wagon would bolt up to a 1995 civic del sol. anybody have any info?
Old 11-03-2005
Registered!!

sweeteli99 will become famous soon enoughsweeteli99 will become famous soon enough
nice, first post. and i bet 98% of the people on this site will not know the answer to that question.
Old 11-03-2005
Touch it... He won't bite, He'll just come at you pretty quick.

Blahman240 is on a distinguished road
I'm sure you can do it. It would take alot of cutting and welding. And sweeteli99.... speak for yourself.
Old 11-03-2005
Registered!!

jbmetalcore is an unknown quantity at this point
i think it would be worth the trouble, you?
Old 11-03-2005
Registered!!

sweeteli99 will become famous soon enoughsweeteli99 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Blahman240
I'm sure you can do it. It would take alot of cutting and welding. And sweeteli99.... speak for yourself.
my point exactly. i said 98% won't know the answer, you don't know the answer, you're assuming it'll work.
Old 11-03-2005
I dont know what im talking about

Supermanrider is an unknown quantity at this point
money can do anything u want
Old 11-03-2005
Touch it... He won't bite, He'll just come at you pretty quick.

Blahman240 is on a distinguished road
I'm not assuming it would work... I know it wouldn't work easily. I know there is much needed for it to work. Like body reinforcement, a way to mount the rear diff., also a clear opening for the drive shaft. With that being said, take into consideration the placement of out exhausts. It wouldn't work.

Also, the drive shafts on the d17 come from the tranny. So for this to work you would need to prob do a complete engine swap.
Old 11-04-2005
"mmmBAHHHH" - vtec y0

mugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond repute
it would most lilkly work but like mentioned above there are a lot of little things u will need to do 2 make it fit. good luck with it and i hope ur pockets are deep
Old 11-04-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Blahman240
I'm not assuming it would work... I know it wouldn't work easily. I know there is much needed for it to work. Like body reinforcement, a way to mount the rear diff., also a clear opening for the drive shaft. With that being said, take into consideration the placement of out exhausts. It wouldn't work.

Also, the drive shafts on the d17 come from the tranny. So for this to work you would need to prob do a complete engine swap.
he doesn't want to do it on a 7thgencivic, he doesnt even own one (i dont think).

he owns a 95 del sol. thats what he wants to put awd on..

to the OP, if you have deep pockets, and a lot of time for trial/error. go for it!
Old 11-04-2005
Registered!!

bOoStEd042dr will become famous soon enoughbOoStEd042dr will become famous soon enough
i think honda tuning did somthing similiar to that with a integra. not sure what drivetrain though
Old 11-04-2005
Registered!!

Alex1 has a spectacular aura aboutAlex1 has a spectacular aura aboutAlex1 has a spectacular aura about
I remember something similar i saw in the past. It was a white AWD del sol, it had two engines. One in the front and one in the back. Try searching for that article I'm sure it's laying around somewhere.
Old 11-04-2005
Nothing works better than a Chris except a Honda.

CivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by 042dr
i think honda tuning did somthing similiar to that with a integra. not sure what drivetrain though
But there actually was an AWD version of the Integra in production so everything fit with modifications. They took it around the track as a RWD car just to see how it would handle. I might still have that issue, or prolly not.

Del Sol's won't match up 100% with old school AWD Civics. There is a lot to think about becuase it is such a tiny car in the first place and you want to cram everything under it to work. I'm thinking it is possible, but you'll be modding a lot of the back of a Del Sol.
Old 11-04-2005
Registered!!

pimpc is an unknown quantity at this point
Instead of bothering with all that crap why not just put a gsr in it and turbo it? Much easier and you will be able to smoke all kinds of people assuming you take the time to do everything right.
Old 11-04-2005
I just burnt my tongue

ragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really nice
u can do anything as long as u have either money or fabrication skills/abilities...but i doubt its a direct bolt up
Old 11-04-2005
Shinier than yours, meatbag

Hurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud of
This topic of making various fwd cars awd has been talked about to death, it can be done, but when ron's parts here in BC did it to a VW gti it cost well into the hundred thousand price range to fabricate and engineer the car......there is really no reason to do this unless its for show or business purpose......but if you wanna have a "what if" conversation then lets do a in a k24 swap from a crv and put it in a 7th gen with tubular sub frame.
Old 11-04-2005
BOOSTED DOHC i-VTEC

stl01civic is an unknown quantity at this point
everything is possbile w/ money. just take about 50k and let the shop do the work.
Old 11-04-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
It's not that bad, far less than 50k.

1. Take the JDM drive train from an AWD EG civic (or a a CRV drivetrain).
2. Put car on rack, cut center out for driveshaft tunnel, weld drive shaft mounts at approiate point in tunnel (sourced from JDM civic or CRV.
3. convert rear suspension from to that from the AWD JDM civic or CRV, better change the front too; you are carring added weight and need the higher ground clearance.
4. take out inner fenders and apply sludge hammer to lower center of fire wall to make room for transfer case (might be easier and prettier to cut it out while you are making the drive shaft tunnel).
5. drop the engine, tranny and transfer case in
6. weld rear motor mount to custom support
7. hook up rear axles and drive shaft.
8. wait for snow and show a few 4x4 trucks how to go through that crap.
Old 11-04-2005
Registered!!

joelwastaken is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Hurts2bStock
This topic of making various fwd cars awd has been talked about to death, it can be done, but when ron's parts here in BC did it to a VW gti it cost well into the hundred thousand price range to fabricate and engineer the car......there is really no reason to do this unless its for show or business purpose......but if you wanna have a "what if" conversation then lets do a in a k24 swap from a crv and put it in a 7th gen with tubular sub frame.
Uhh...

Someone on here already has a k24 in a 7th gen...
Old 11-04-2005

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Oh yeah, I forgot you will have to reroute your fuel and brake lines.
Old 11-04-2005
Nothing works better than a Chris except a Honda.

CivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Hurts2bStock
......but if you wanna have a "what if" conversation then lets do a in a k24 swap from a crv and put it in a 7th gen with tubular sub frame.
Why stop there? How about a MR Civic with an NSX motor, or even an AWD Civic with both a regular Civic engine up front for normal driving and an NSX engine in the rear. Or even an Accord V6 Hybrid motor up front to carry all that extra weight and so the car could get great gas-mileage.
Old 11-04-2005
I need TP for my bunghole

PunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud of
drop in a 4wd k24 crv motor.
get a transfer case from a 4wd crv
cut then weld in a drive shaft tunnel section
Then the rear and rear diff.
Get a custom/Balenced drive shaft made.

Time and money = possibility

Hey they made a rear wheel drive del sol why not create a 4wd one too.
Old 11-04-2005
Still in the game...

scatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to behold
i bet this guy went on a ton of honda forums posting this question hoping to get an answer
Old 11-04-2005
I need TP for my bunghole

PunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud of
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...artsSearch.jsp
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...sr20_g0401.gif

here is the under belly of a 95 del sol.
you'll have to sqeeze the exhaustr and the drive shaft down the center or somthing.
and also get a aftermarket gas tank.

Old 11-04-2005
Shinier than yours, meatbag

Hurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by joelwastaken
Uhh...

Someone on here already has a k24 in a 7th gen...
uh....really?.....gee I'm a stupid n00b so i dont know that hondaluver had that swap done like 4 months ago....

If you didn't notice we are talking about awd.....I asumed most would know I meant the whole drivetrain from the crv.......thanks for commin out and keep those super duper posts a comming
Old 11-05-2005
Registered!!

hondacivicfreak is an unknown quantity at this point
all you need is welder, duct tape, and a cut off wheel. orrrr you could just get a 4th gen 4wd 4door hatch..... convert to multi port and turbo it.
Old 11-05-2005
"mmmBAHHHH" - vtec y0

mugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 042dr
i believe they used a crv rear end
Old 11-05-2005

Originally Posted by mugenman
i believe they used a crv rear end

You can use that, or a Ford 9inch rear end comes very close to bolting up, only a few holes to drill, but I know people use that when making their cars RWD. Figuring out the correct gearing would be a pain if the front was Honda and the rear Ford
Old 11-05-2005
Crayons taste like purple...

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Jrfish007
You can use that, or a Ford 9inch rear end comes very close to bolting up, only a few holes to drill, but I know people use that when making their cars RWD. Figuring out the correct gearing would be a pain if the front was Honda and the rear Ford
Fyck that Fonda...is all you'd see on here anymore haha
Old 11-06-2005
Registered!!

Jeff B has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Originally Posted by jbmetalcore
i've been wondering if the diff. from a 1985-87 4wd civic wagon would bolt up to a 1995 civic del sol. anybody have any info?
lol you might wanna check out www.honda-tech.com . I bet there are some tech grues who could answer that question on honda tech. There was a guy on there doing a h22(prelude motor) swap into the back of an integra. anything is possable but the amount of money and time involved is the X factor.
Old 11-07-2005

Originally Posted by Shroomster
Fyck that Fonda...is all you'd see on here anymore haha

Quick Reply: 4wd civic del sol?