General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

are smoked taillights legal in ca?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TuffVietta should not be trusted
are smoked taillights legal in ca?!?!

i've seen alot of smoked taillights lately in ca(for example, just today, i saw a 4runner and a prelude with smoked taillights) . damn...they look so dope. i was just wondering if they are legal or not. i looked up the rules concerning taillights and it says that taillights must be red, must emit a light visible from 300 ft. in all weather conditions. although the second test easily passes, must it be red? i know clear taillights are illegal for reasons that i do not know, but ive heard nothing about black taillights. i even painted my stock taillights black with black transparent paint (not the real paint used), and it looks dope cuz it looks like i have no taillights at all cuz i have a black coupe. however, after my mom found out a week later, she made me take them off cuz she felt they were unsafe or whatever. so now, i'm back to my altezzas, but i'd prefer the black tailights... the only reason why smoked taillights arent legal is because (at least i dont think so) you are unable to see the reflector. but if this is the case, then why are clear taillights illegal? even if u have red bulbs in, its still considered illegal. what's that all about? thats just like the altezzas then minus the red reflectors

sorry for going on and on about other stuff, but what i really wanna know is whether or not smoked taillights are legal. if they are not legal, then is it just a fix it ticket or like a big fine? thanks for all your help guys

check this link out.

Smoked Taillights on Accord
Old 02-07-2002
Registered!!

Pedrito is an unknown quantity at this point
those tailights look freaking sweet man...i have no clue bout any of this tailight crap all i kno is i dont like my altezza's...i have seen like mustangs and stuff here in illinois w/ black covers over their tail lenses and they are legal here i think so i dont know...i dont live in CA so i dunno bout their
Old 02-07-2002
Registered!!

pimpdakota is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry the car was kinda dirty! but this is what i did!

Old 02-07-2002
www.ImportFactor.Com

WhosYoDadday85 should not be trustedWhosYoDadday85 should not be trusted
That's sweet Dakota. I have a white car, and my color sceme is white/red so I think that smoked stuff on my car would look kinda wierd

When you smoke your stuff, does it still get full brightness when they actually light up? Or does it a little bit lighter...?

Is it possible to "smoke" something white by any chance [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 02-07-2002
Registered!!

when i painted my taillights black (not with the paint that ur sposed to smoke it with, but transparent paint bought from pepboys), it was kinda hard to see during the day. thats why my mom made me take them off =(, but i've seen other cars with smoked taillights that look just as bright. i dunno if u can smoke ur taillights white, but that'd be the same thing as getting clear taillights which is illegal, so i dunno...

does anyone know if smoked taillights are legal in ca?
Old 02-07-2002
Registered!!

pimpdakota is an unknown quantity at this point
actually if you go out to your car right now and turn your lights on, youll see that it doesnt restrict any light! I dont know about smoking white but green is cool to smoke! But you could do the same pattern in white!Dakota
Old 02-08-2002
Registered!!

SoNiCcIvIc is an unknown quantity at this point

<< does anyone know if smoked taillights are legal in ca? >>

I don't see why it would be illegal if it doesn't prevent the cars behind you from seeing the lights AND how they reflect. So I think it's legal if you ask me. It just kinda looks like you put different looking tailights on it as you can do with headlights (i.e. black projectors). I say go for it unless pimpdakota can tell us that some cop gave his a fixing ticket for REdecorating the part of the taillights that have nothing to do with how the lights work. See what I mean?
Old 02-08-2002
Registered!!

&lt;&lt;I don't see why it would be illegal if it doesn't prevent the cars behind you from seeing the lights AND how they reflect. &gt;&gt;

nah, i'm not talking about smoking my taillights like pimpdakota. i'm talking about smoking it all black, as if there are not taillights. not just part of it like pimpdakota did. therefore, it would prevent cars behind u seeing the reflectors at night if ur taillights arent on. thats the only reason why this wouldnt be legal, but im just curious as to know why or why not its not legal...
Old 02-08-2002
Registered!!

<< &lt;&lt;I don't see why it would be illegal if it doesn't prevent the cars behind you from seeing the lights AND how they reflect. &gt;&gt;

nah, i'm not talking about smoking my taillights like pimpdakota. i'm talking about smoking it all black, as if there are not taillights. not just part of it like pimpdakota did. therefore, it would prevent cars behind u seeing the reflectors at night if ur taillights arent on. thats the only reason why this wouldnt be legal, but im just curious as to know why or why not its not legal...
>>

Go fot it, but illegal.

Simply because the colors of the taillights are under law. If they are changed to smoke, you'll be slapped with a fixing ticket... easily if the brake lights aren't red, and the signal white-amber (I doubt a cop would catch you going in reverse from behind but I'm sure he could walk around the car and see no white reflector after getting pulled over. Sounds like a citation. It's just like you said in your first post.
Old 02-09-2002
Registered!!

Becky is an unknown quantity at this point
has long as they reflect red from behind when another car's lights hit it then they are legal. get the "carbon fiber" casing if you want the "smoked" look. the bulbs still have a red reflector over them.....red bulbs are not legal
Old 02-09-2002
Registered!!

Yup... no other colored bulbs, too. I've see blue taillights on an ORANGE (bleh) Integra. Not a pretty match.
Old 02-14-2002
Registered!!

eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point
i wanna do what pimpdakota did.. on a silver civic... tell me how..
Old 02-14-2002
spoiledsteph

yeah me too...pimp tell me how also
Old 02-14-2002
Registered!!

my2k1vic is an unknown quantity at this point
smoked taillights are NOT legal in CA. however, it depends on the cops in your area. if cops around your area inforce all laws strictly, then you will most likly get a ticket. if not, then you should be fine.
Old 08-25-2010
Registered!!

xJONx is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: are smoked taillights legal in ca?!?!

i had em and i got a fix ticket. I had them on my acura and had to take them off. I'm not going to lie those bad boys looks bomb! I was really mad but what can i do. suks =/ here some pics

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5335280...in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53352805@N02/4928416986/
Old 08-25-2010
Registered!!

L3IX is an unknown quantity at this point

I kno in wisconsin you can get pulled ova for it but the main thing is if some one rear ends you and you hav the smoked tail lights they can say it was all your falt cuz they couldnt see your tail lights light up.. i hav thm on my civic and dont plan on ever removing them!

Thats my 96 ek hatch project
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6408.jpg
Views:	772
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	79155  
Old 08-25-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

and the winner for the oldest thread revival goes to xJONx congratulations.