General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

My 8th Gen review. PICS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005
up-up-down-down-left-right-left-right-b-a-b-a-start

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of light
My 8th Gen review. PICS!!!

Ok... well I was bored today (no work) so I decided I'd go down to my local Honda dealership and take one out to see for myself.
My good buddies a sales rep at my local Honda dealership so I got to give the car a good run.

First things first... I got to choose which model I wanted to drive. I opted for a Coupe only because I'd be getting a Coupe if I were to trade my current ride in. And considering they don't have the any Si's available in Canada yet, we hop'd in a LX Coupe (DX, LX, and EX all have the same motor so I didn't care).

So we get in the car and he hands me the key... I look at and right away I thought.... "COOL!!" It's an all in 1 unit.

So anyways, I close the door and immediatly the car sounds super solid. You know that deep thud that you get when you close an expensive car door??... that's what it sounded like lol.
I adjust my seat and look at the dash... pretty cool. The steering wheel is now tilt and telescopic

Here's what it looks like on (I'm sure you've all seen this)

The dash is pretty nice... very user friendly. Except for the fact that it'll be a nightmare to put in an aftermarket deck

Oh and yes... I took out a 5speed Manual.
Anyways, so I start the car and I throw it in gear... holy **** the throws were long. Maybe I'm used to driving cars with short throw shifters but this felt really long... but it was pretty smooth.

So we're driving along in the city when it starts to drizzle a bit. I turn on the wipers and whoa..... it's like my parents old minivan. The wipers wipe from inside out. Not a big deal just thought I'd share with you guys lol
Crappy pic but you get the idea.

Anyways, once I got to a more deserted road... I ripped the car a bit. Feels a bit faster then ours and pretty solid. The new 1.8 has i-Vtec but I never really noticed/felt the kick.
Overall... I really liked the car. Car feels solid... power is sufficient, although I'd probably get an Si or nothing at all.

Seats were ok... felt a bit more supportive then 7thgen stockies but nothing to brag about. The Si seats might be more supportive then the LX model I test drove.
DX and LX gets the Grey interior (both different patterns)
EX and Si get black interior (both with different patterns)

Here are some tidbits I learned that I thought I'd share:

The car has 8 airbags... yes 8! Steering wheel, passenger dash, both A pillars, both doors and 2 in the rear C pillar for rear passengers.

A Pillar

C Pillar

Here's a pic of the armrest/storage.

Closed

Open

Cup holders open and closed

The gauge cluster not only indicates the odometer, trip A and B, but also shows you oil life and outside temp (forgot to take a pic of temp).

Here's a pic of the engine bay. Now when you guys were talking about the cat... I didn't know exactly what you meant. After taking a look first hand I noticed what you meant... THERE'S NO EXHAUST MANIFOLD (header)!!!

Last pic... I pulled it up beside my car and snapped a pic.

Oh and this was infront of my building when I ran in to drop some stuff of.

Old 10-12-2005
Registered!!

MR. CIVIC has a little shameless behaviour in the past
nice review
Old 10-12-2005
I Queef > You

sKwiD is on a distinguished road
Sweet, thanks for the tour. Seems like the new Vics are more luxerious (oil life gauge, European car style keys, digital gauges...) I really really feel that us 7thgens got ripped off. This car is so much more of a jump from the past decade of Civics, which have pretty much been the same.
Old 10-12-2005
I survived that B*tch Katrina !!!

boombazokajoe91 is an unknown quantity at this point
im getting one
Old 10-12-2005
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
There is no frickin header, the struts are buried underneath the glass, they make it pretty much impossible to work on without a lift, the intake is in a very weird position, and the engine bay is tiny as crap. I like the new design and the style, but it is way more expensive than my civic. I paid 15,600 for mine, and now they are over 18k for the same style.
Old 10-12-2005
Wicked Moderatuh

fraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of light
Nice review...
Old 10-12-2005
Registered!!

JP375 is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice pics and review. That seat fabric looks like cheap fuzzy crap, is it? I've seen so much nicer cloth seats in the latest GM vehicles, what up Honda?
Old 10-12-2005
Registered!!

juzthewy will become famous soon enoughjuzthewy will become famous soon enough
yea nice review. it looks like you could fit a single din hu into near where the shifter is
Old 10-12-2005
Registered!!

Taffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant future
Great Review!

I guess Honda is trying to deter aftermarket companies fromcoming up with products for the new Civics. That engine bay doesn't look too "tuner friendly", the factory HU doesn't look too "installer friendly" not to mention if you ever wanted to add an amplifer having to route power wire around airbags in the pillars

In all I think Honda just wants you to buy the new civic and keep it the way it is, but I am sure we're not gonna accept that.
Old 10-12-2005
Premium Member

kirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to behold
+1 nice write up
Old 10-12-2005
Registered!!

03CivicEX03 should not be trusted03CivicEX03 should not be trusted
Wow nice... It look like it hard to to put in aftermarket head unit.
Old 10-12-2005
Registered!!

civic-king is an unknown quantity at this point
i liked em untill i saw the pic of the 8th next to the 7th. that 7th gen looks so much sporter and all around better. the windshield DOES look like a minivan. i don't think ill be buying one now....i keep my 7th gen.
Old 10-12-2005
Registered!!

aoar is an unknown quantity at this point
is that how they were able to get 40mpg highway with the minivan windsheld...
Old 10-12-2005
ThE CoRRupToR

dru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nice
i dont care what you guys think but for me, by lookin at the motor i dont like it at all. Its just all looks
Old 10-12-2005
Registered!!

chrisvdm is an unknown quantity at this point
Your Honda dealership seems a little weird. They have an Atomic Blue DX which according to Hondacars.com doesn't exist and EX wheels on an LX.
Old 10-12-2005
Dear Mr. Toilet, I'm The S.H.I.T.

IrockCivics is a name known to allIrockCivics is a name known to allIrockCivics is a name known to allIrockCivics is a name known to allIrockCivics is a name known to allIrockCivics is a name known to allIrockCivics is a name known to all
I'll take the honda key lol.
Old 10-12-2005
up-up-down-down-left-right-left-right-b-a-b-a-start

R1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by JP375
Nice pics and review. That seat fabric looks like cheap fuzzy crap, is it? I've seen so much nicer cloth seats in the latest GM vehicles, what up Honda?
The fabric is actually not all that bad. Kinda feels like suede....
Honestly, the fabric in my car is the worst (03-05)... **** picks up everything!

Originally Posted by chrisvdm
Your Honda dealership seems a little weird. They have an Atomic Blue DX which according to Hondacars.com doesn't exist and EX wheels on an LX.
This might clear things up for you. I took some pics of the brouchure. Atomic blue is not a colour option. The one you see in that pic is Neutron Blue.

Old 10-12-2005
Registered!!

Mike04Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
maaan,...the more of the new civic i see,...the less i like it,.....
Old 10-12-2005
Registered!!

HondCivc91 is an unknown quantity at this point
nice review .. i wonder if those 8th gen keys can be swapped to 7th gens.
Old 10-12-2005
Chicks dig my scent

civicskater is an unknown quantity at this point
I like them at first....especially the electronic speedometer etc.

but when i see them beside a 7thgen...i like the 7th better
Old 10-13-2005
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all
yeah for the tuners it looks like its SI or nothing. THen again for the price of a SI, i would rather get a new wrx. Suburu has been offering 1.9 and 3.9% financing for there vehicles to help there sales. With interest rates that low, its almost cheaper just to get a new wrx then a new SI.
Old 10-13-2005
Registered!!

orion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really nice
they really got to put leather in that thing!!

why no leather? why!?
Old 10-13-2005
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by orion_squall
they really got to put leather in that thing!!

why no leather? why!?

To keep people with rsx seats in the 7th gens more unique
Old 10-13-2005
jdmtytedoridori

Al Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by chrisvdm
i was gonna say that too, but he lives in canada though. honda's canadian and US trim levels have always been slightly different.

good review btw r1
Old 10-13-2005
Words on a User Title

ramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by WildRice
In all I think Honda just wants you to buy the new civic and keep it the way it is, but I am sure we're not gonna accept that.
I think Honda's saying "Don't buy the crappy-looking DX, LX or EX models, buy an Si!"

Bad thing.
If I couldn't afford a 7thgen LX, I can't even THINK of affording an Si...
Old 10-13-2005
The blackbeauty ES1.

jhonsok is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, great review..Even though that car is not mod-user-friendly, it'll still sell like hotcakes..i mean, Hondas just going for the general public..and everyone else seems to love the 8thgens..Although i could see a lot of Rice within next summer done to the 8thgens..but..what can you do.. ?
Old 10-13-2005
Registered!!

kasimmmmm has a spectacular aura aboutkasimmmmm has a spectacular aura aboutkasimmmmm has a spectacular aura about
hahahaha you're very observent, can't believe you even picked up how the wipers work.

Anyway, i test drove the car a week ago too and i didn't like it at all.. its just not aggressive feeling at all and the steering wheel looks WIERD! It felt like my girlfriend's corolla S. I'd take my 7th gen over the 8th anyday. And even if i were to buy another honda, it would definately not be the civic.

The 8th gen isn't that bad but it didn't impress me much either. Just makes me love my car even more!
Old 10-13-2005
Registered!!

crazyasian will become famous soon enoughcrazyasian will become famous soon enough
man i wish i could test drive the new 8th gen civics. i went to the dealership earlier todai and asked to see if i could take a test drive but the guys said no....i dont see why they wouldnt let us(my friend was with me too) even tho we are both 19years of age but i guess it was more of "If you buy the car we let you test drive it if u are just here for the hell of it we wont let you." i guess im gonna have to go to the other dealership to test drive cause i noe the other ones are more customer service friendly persay
Old 10-13-2005
Registered!!

mrchowmein has a spectacular aura aboutmrchowmein has a spectacular aura aboutmrchowmein has a spectacular aura about
you were wondering about the vtec kick, there is not vtec kick in the ivtec system. ivtec is basically honda's term for a continuous variable valve timing system. gives you a broader torque band unlike traditional vtec systems.
Old 10-13-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
did anyone notice the hybrid comes with clear headlights?

Quick Reply: My 8th Gen review. PICS!!!