General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

8th gen Coupe = Slow...7th gen rocks!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MSPRO is an unknown quantity at this point
8th gen Coupe = Slow...7th gen rocks!!!!

Today Mugenman and I took yet another random drive to the Honda dealership and we came upon a Taffeta White 8th gen coupe. It was all wrapped in plastic still and fresh off the truck. I walked around it to see that it was a 5spd Yay!! Major score points in my book, Autos aren't bad ,just not my style, I like to be in control of all aspects of my car. I noticed the tan interior which didn't really spike my interest at first but once the door was open and I sat down on the soft velvety seats it was ok. I got in and adjusted the seat so that my head wasn't running into the sunroof, then it came time to adjust the tilt and telescoping steering wheel. Wow that was a lot of fun, I swear I spent like a whole min just playing with it, pulling it in and out and moving it up and down. Hmm if you just read that line in this review you might be thinking of something else lol. Ok back on topic. Coming from my MSP the clutch felt soft and buttery, the grabbing point was smooth and the soft rubbery motor mounts made the idle very quiet and calm. I am used to a stage 3 clutch with solid front and rear motor mounts. My whole car vibrates like it has a broken mount or something, but its just the engine doesn't move so it passes the vibrations on to the chasis. As I gave it some gas and let out the clutch it took off smoothly and I was in heaven, ok not really haha. Mugenman and I went to go give the dealer guy our info and he gave us a plate and said "I'm just gonna let you go, see you in a little while" Both of us were smiling and thinkin ,hmmm time to go see what it can do.

One we got out of the parking lot of the dealership it was time to see what this little white beauty had in her. Unfortunatly it wasn't all that much to be honest. I had high hopes for this car that got shot down the second I put the pedal to the floor and it didn't go anywhere. Ok so maybe its b.c I'm used to my car which has around 205-210whp, and maybe its b.c I had forgotten what it was like to drive my old 6th gen ex coupe. I looked at Mugenman and was like guess what, I have this thing floored lol and we both just kinda laughed. At the next light I let it rev up a little and chirped first gear, although I'm still amazed how that was possible. Oh yeah it was followed by the slight hint of burnt clutch lol. Once again I remind you I'm used to a stage 3 clutch, thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it. After driving around normal somewhat busy city streets for a couple mins we decided to head to a parking lot to check things out a little better. This is where I ripped all the stupid plastic stuff off the seats and pillers in the car. It was flapping around in the wind and driving me nuts, I just had to do it. Mugenman took the wheel in the parking lot and seemed to have a good time driving it. He did pretty well for not driving a 5spd that much. I got antsy and made him switch back b.c I wanted to drive some more haha. We then took it on an exit ramp that I usually hit 70 on, but I was to much of a weenie to do it in the 8th gen at that speed. Then it was time to get off at the next exit and head to my friends house where I proceeded to tell them I bought a new car. Haha they are Mazda peeps and they walked out and said "Wow I like it" I let my friend Kristi drive it around the block and she really liked it. When I went to get out of the passengers seat I slammed my head into the roof of the car right next to the " oh **** handle" it reminded me of the crazy sloping roof line and was not pleasent lol . Kristi had to think a couple mins if she liked it better than her new Mazda 3. The final answer on that one was "NOPE" lol We all decided that the dash is pretty crazy but the guages grow on you very quickly and they are easy to read. I found about 30 second of ADHD enjoyment in the little button that switchs the speedo from MPH to KPH and then again to the temp/mileage button.

So after almost an hour long test drive we decided to take it back to the dealership. I would have kept it longer but I didn't want the guy to think I stole it or something. Mugenman and I talked to the dealer guy and told him that it was a very nice car but lacked the power I was looking for. Then we asked a few questions about the Si and told him we would definantly be back for a test drive with that. We BS'd a bit about my car, and how much I drive , 82K miles in 2 years on the Mazda.

Ok so yeah I know it wasn't an Si coupe but still, I was expecting more. After we got done with Mugenmans 7g Sedan tonight I took it out for a drive and I liked driving that a lot more. It felt faster and its even an auto. I know he loved hearing that I liked his car better. Afterall who doesn't love an all black, hot looking 7g sedan right.

Cliff Notes : Test drove an 8g ex coupe 5spd, liked Mugenman's 7g auto sedan better

The End

Last edited by MSPRO; 09-29-2005 at 12:56 AM.
Old 09-29-2005
Registered!!

fuzzylogic426 is an unknown quantity at this point
wait, are you the chick who let jon drive your car, and he accidentally ripped off the shiftknob?
hi, im Greg!
Old 09-29-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by fuzzylogic426
wait, are you the chick who let jon drive your car, and he accidentally ripped off the shiftknob?
hi, im Greg!
That would be me lol He isn't the first one to do that, its a long story but the shift **** wont stay on if you are rough with it b.c I need to get a new one. Momo's dont last forever haha..
Old 09-29-2005
"mmmBAHHHH" - vtec y0

mugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond repute
lol yeah i had fun driving it. i didnt stall it yay lol
Old 09-29-2005
Registered!!

Hypnotized is an unknown quantity at this point
Great story. Too bad you felt it was underestimated...
Old 09-29-2005
Registered!!

jw, which MSP do you have? the 2003 or the 2003.5 (heheh, i just started "studying" up on the MSP today. how lame huh?).
Old 09-29-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Hypnotized
Great story. Too bad you felt it was underestimated...
Dont get me wrong it was a very nice car. I guess its just b.c I'm used to the feel of a turbo car with a little bit more torque thats all. I am actually very interested in getting an Si when they come out.
Old 09-29-2005
Registered!!

jw, which MSP do you have? the 2003 or the 2003.5 (heheh, i just started "studying" up on the MSP today. how lame huh?).

I have an 03.5 but the only difference really is the lip kit, spoiler, muffler, and the seats. Everything mechanical is the same for the 03 and 03.5.
Old 09-29-2005
Registered!!

i read that "The 3.5's got a thermal wrapping on the compressor outlet, and a stiffer clutch." i dunno, you own one i just read that somewhere else
Old 09-29-2005
Registered!!

i read that "The 3.5's got a thermal wrapping on the compressor outlet, and a stiffer clutch." i dunno, you own one i just read that somewhere else
haha yeah i have a little silver sleeve on the outlet if you want to call that thermal wrapping lol .. I dont remember what a stock clutch is like anymore but I know a stage 3 is stiffer than the stock stage 1 lol
Old 09-29-2005
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

bamb00 is a glorious beacon of lightbamb00 is a glorious beacon of lightbamb00 is a glorious beacon of lightbamb00 is a glorious beacon of lightbamb00 is a glorious beacon of lightbamb00 is a glorious beacon of light
nice story, it was fun reading it!
Old 09-29-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by bamb00
nice story, it was fun reading it!
thank you ...i figured if i had fun telling it people might enjoy reading it lol. i know i dont like to read boring stuff so I added things to keep it spiced up right at the point where someone might start to get bored lol..
Old 09-29-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
i drove the auto sedan and wasn't impressed at all. My 7thgen auto is way faster than that dbw crap.
Old 09-29-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
i drove the auto sedan and wasn't impressed at all. My 7thgen auto is way faster than that dbw crap.
We drove an LX sedan last week and it was totally different then the coupe, but still had the same overall appeal. But as stated I'm still attracted to the Si and want to drive one in December
Old 09-29-2005
Registered!!

honda860 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I think Im good with my 7th gen 2005 Civic EX SE.

But when the SI comes out its gonna be a lil hard to resist haha
Old 09-29-2005
Registered!!

ritalin has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Get an si that way you'll have 200hp and be tqless instead of 100 and tqless.
Old 09-29-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ritalin
Get an si that way you'll have 200hp and be tqless instead of 100 and tqless.

nice first post Matt lol
Old 09-29-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
I'm not necessarily surprised you say its slow, it gained 250 lbs and 10 HP... that doesn't help the power/weight
Old 09-29-2005
Words on a User Title

ramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MSPRO
...and head to my friends house where I proceeded to tell them I bought a new car.

I slammed my head into the roof of the car right next to the " oh **** handle"

I found about 30 second of ADHD enjoyment in the little button that switchs the speedo from MPH to KPH and then again to the temp/mileage button.

Cliff Notes : Test drove an 8g ex coupe 5spd, liked Mugenman's 7g auto sedan better

The End

Nice commenting girl! You have what it takes to write comics
I dunno... I just found these lines WAY too funny!

BTW, thanks for confirming what I was thinking about...

Ah, the "oh **** handle"... why is it there? I don't need it when I'm driving my car Only time I've been on the passenger's seat I bonked my head so hard I don't wanna be a passenger again. Hit myself right about... here, this area. See? Even my eye got damaged.

If a 127bhp engine feels like it can outrun a 140+...
Honda must be sick.

Last edited by ramcosca; 09-29-2005 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Add content
Old 09-29-2005
Registered!!

Valdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to all
what u couldnt spice it up any more than that. JK it was a good story. Its too bad than the 8th gen doesnt get up and go but oh well. stickin with my 7th gen.
Old 09-29-2005
jdmtytedoridori

Al Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Boilermaker1
I'm not necessarily surprised you say its slow, it gained 250 lbs and 10 HP... that doesn't help the power/weight
but its got the IV-tack, yo!!!!!!!

i have nothing.
Old 09-29-2005
Fuzzy Boy

FuzzBeC00L is an unknown quantity at this point
Cliff Notes hahaha

honda860 u need to lower that thing
Old 09-29-2005
Registered!!

ritalin has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Originally Posted by MSPRO
nice first post Matt lol
Did you expect anything less?
Old 09-29-2005
Registered!!

genexrocket has a spectacular aura aboutgenexrocket has a spectacular aura about
nice, jus one more reason to love my 7thgen even more
Old 09-29-2005
Registered!!

Lol glad you guys liked it. I tell ya every time Mugenman and I go test drive something it becomes a whole new adventure haha . It's my b-day so I'm thinking about going an test driving an 06 WRX/STI today for fun yay!!
Old 09-29-2005
aki
Registered!!

aki is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't get it--you're comparing a stock econocar with 140HP with your 200HP car with Stage 3 clutch--and you were expecting the Civic to be better? Of course the civic will feel slow, that's not even a remotely fair comparison. Not understanding how people can expect non-Si trim cars to be quick. They're not meant to be. They're supposed to be cars with good fuel economy that go from point A to point B without any hitches.

Plus, 15 HP and increased displacement does much more than an increase of 200lbs. By employing such simplistic "lighter is better" logic, that should mean a 05 Civic LX would then beat out a Scion Tc (160hp, 2900lbs). If you think such is the case, I'd highly suggest you floor a Tc and see how it will rip the pants off of the lighter 2005 Civic LX. Just because a car gets heavier doesn't mean it gets slower.
Old 09-29-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by aki
I don't get it--you're comparing a stock econocar with 140HP with your 200HP car with Stage 3 clutch--and you were expecting the Civic to be better? Of course the civic will feel slow, that's not even a remotely fair comparison. Not understanding how people can expect non-Si trim cars to be quick. They're not meant to be. They're supposed to be cars with good fuel economy that go from point A to point B without any hitches.

Plus, 15 HP and increased displacement does much more than an increase of 200lbs. By employing such simplistic "lighter is better" logic, that should mean a 05 Civic LX would then beat out a Scion Tc (160hp, 2900lbs). If you think such is the case, I'd highly suggest you floor a Tc and see how it will rip the pants off of the lighter 2005 Civic LX. Just because a car gets heavier doesn't mean it gets slower.

Actually I'm compairing it to Mugenmans 03 auto ex sedan. I know it isn't in the same category as my car but I just made general refrences to my car in the post.
Old 09-29-2005
Registered!!

ciVictoria will become famous soon enoughciVictoria will become famous soon enough
Pretty good review, I have to test drive it.
Old 09-29-2005
Registered!!

Valdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to all
happy b-day girl have fun.
Old 09-29-2005
Registered!!

nooboob is on a distinguished road
i think the reason behind why most of us think that the 8th Gen sucks is because...

were jealous.

Quick Reply: 8th gen Coupe = Slow...7th gen rocks!!!!