General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Fuel Economy Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blackpearl is an unknown quantity at this point
Fuel Economy Gauge

I wondering if anybody have instaled some fuel economy gauge (e.g. ScanGuage etc.) on Civic's or other cars and if this improve your MPG.
I checked the forum but I dont find to much information .
There are other devices commercialy available which can show the actual MPG?
Any commment are welcome.

Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

bamb00 is a glorious beacon of lightbamb00 is a glorious beacon of lightbamb00 is a glorious beacon of lightbamb00 is a glorious beacon of lightbamb00 is a glorious beacon of lightbamb00 is a glorious beacon of light
HUH?

i get 40MPG without a gauge
Old 09-21-2005
Words on a User Title

ramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond repute
You mean like the gauges on BMW's, right? (at least the 3-series had it... dunno which else)
Old 09-21-2005
Registered!!

wonderz is on a distinguished road
yea, those fuel gauges on the 3-series are cool.

and i am only getting 30mph and not 40 :*(
Old 09-21-2005
Registered!!

I don't know how the BMW look like. I just found one at http://www.scangauge.com/
3-series guages? What is it? Probably is to high thec for me.
Old 09-21-2005
Registered!!

lxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the rough
im happy with my 34 since since it was 27 before the exhaust....wonder what an intake would do.
Old 09-21-2005
Registered!!

40? Hmmm! Any secret?
Realy I cant calculate exactly the MPG because I dont know how much I have in the tank.
After making a full refil I drive until the red light comes up. I filed up and se that I put 13.8 G on it, without owertoping, and the technical specs indicate the tank as 13.2 (if I remember correctly).
I askt the honda dealer/technicians and thei can't say how much is left in the tank when the red light comes up. Strange.
Old 09-21-2005
EK Hatch

Ser1N is an unknown quantity at this point
40? I never heard of 40mpg to our car, max i get is like 32~
Old 09-21-2005
Registered!!

redex04 is an unknown quantity at this point
to figure yput mpg fill up hit ur odometer drive till the gas light comes on or till ur close to emp then fill ur car up till it stops pumping divide how many gallons it took to fill ur car by the miles on ur odometer and u have accurate reading of mpg
Old 09-21-2005
Sweetest Dude on 7th Gen

xX03EXx will become famous soon enoughxX03EXx will become famous soon enough
It is a cool gadget, however you can be sure you are getting good mileage if you keep the revs under 3k
Old 09-21-2005
Registered!!

ferio is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah i think he's talking about the ones from the bmw's. they have a guage that looks like your gas/temp guage.. and the needle points to a number as to what mpg you are in depending on how fast you accelerate and how high your rpm is. it's pretty cool!
Old 09-21-2005
Registered!!

mrchowmein has a spectacular aura aboutmrchowmein has a spectacular aura aboutmrchowmein has a spectacular aura about
i too get 40mpg easily now. no secret really. just feather the gas pedal and avoid braking. ppl say make your car lighter and dont use ac and on and on. well i use AC and load up the trunk, and i STILL get 40mpg, others do too. its really in how you use that gas pedal and brake pedal. the civic is front heavy so stuff in the trunk help balance the car out a bit so the rear end wont bounce up which cuases a problem with maintaining speed.

but anyways, im kinda interested in seeing mpg gauge in a civic. not sure if its worth the buy tho.

Last edited by mrchowmein; 09-21-2005 at 05:13 AM.
Old 09-21-2005
Registered!!

zadscmc has a spectacular aura aboutzadscmc has a spectacular aura aboutzadscmc has a spectacular aura about
The Fuel Consumption Display (FCD) is standard on the Civic Hybrid, and some believe that giving this instant feedback of fuel consumption make drivers aware of their driving habits and the relation of those habits to fuel economy. I tend to agree with this philosophy, but have no empirical evidence to prove it.

I can muster 60+ mpg, in good weather, on my HCH regularly. My range on my model HCH with the 13.gallon tank, is well over 700 miles. I was able to weather this recent gas price spike by the range of the car and only had to buy one tank when the price was over $3.00.

As for the low fuel warning light, there have been many different discussions about how much fuel is left at that point. On my car, the light will go on once, and then go out with the fuel gauge moving between two bars and three bars.

Once the light has gone on a second time, it ususally means business. I can get about 35 miles on the car when the light is on and ALL the bars on the gauge are out.

Greenhybrid.com, another forum I am a member of, has tips on improving mileage. There are discussions on the Scan Gauge. 7thgen is referenced frequently on that site. You may be able to get some more information searching there.

Good luck!
Old 09-21-2005
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
I observed the 3-series fuel ecomony guage and I find it a bit useless b/c unless youre cruising, there is no need. When youre doing city driving, the gas pedal is constantly on and off and at diffrent positions
Old 09-21-2005
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
my gf's 99 GTP has a "xxx miles left" gauge. its gay. its never accurate. it tells average mileage too but its also inaccurate. so anyway, if you drive stick, keep the rpms 3k 3.5k most before shifting and you will get 40 mpg like me. there are threads on here that talk about it. search around and good luck.
Old 09-21-2005
Registered!!

HI.
Thank you for advise.
I usualy tray to use low rpm. I shift the gear when I reach 2500. And I tray to use the 5 gear most of the time when is possible but I not exceed 3000 at any time.
Did you mean that is better to keep the rpm at 3000 or 3500? Is this range a more ecomonic one?
Old 09-21-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
secret for better mileage? Check my sig. fp60 alone raised me from 38 to 42mpg.
Old 09-21-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
secret for better mileage? Check my sig. fp60 alone raised me from 38 to 42mpg.
Hmm . Is not like any "Fuel injector cleaner" or is octane buster?
Old 09-21-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
its cleaner and also increases potential energy of the fuel for better performance
Old 09-21-2005
Registered!!

Dark_Pyro7 is an unknown quantity at this point
I get around 40 mpg when oil is new, but when its getting time for an oil change it goes down around 30-35 mpg.
Old 09-21-2005
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
Originally Posted by Blackpearl
HI.
Thank you for advise.
I usualy tray to use low rpm. I shift the gear when I reach 2500. And I tray to use the 5 gear most of the time when is possible but I not exceed 3000 at any time.
Did you mean that is better to keep the rpm at 3000 or 3500? Is this range a more ecomonic one?
well, generally, the owners manual to get best performance and still get good gas milleage, shift at 3000 when normal driving, and 2000 for easy driving..... but even if you shift at those engine speeds but you constantly have to go past half throttle to keep up with traffic it's still using more fuel.
Old 09-21-2005
Ed
Registered!!

Ed will become famous soon enoughEd will become famous soon enough
the best i've gotten is 45 mpg, i usually get about 39.
Old 09-21-2005
Registered!!

slicksivik will become famous soon enoughslicksivik will become famous soon enough
30 mpg when im going fast like 80+, 35 mpg when im driving granny and like no more then 60
Old 09-22-2005
Registered!!

I so at www.autocrossing.com/civic/trips/trip13 that people used the ScanGuage to check out what is the relation between MPG and MPH. As the graph shows http://www.autocrossing.com/civic/tr...13/mpg-mph.gif
the best fueleconomy is around 40 MPH and geting almost 60MPG. Is like a hybrid. I don't know how to trust this data, becouse this depend on so many factors. Most related to driving behaviour, type of fuel used, type of oil used ......).
I wondering what type of oil you guys are using and do you see correlatio between oil type and MPG?
Old 09-22-2005

bamb00 is a glorious beacon of lightbamb00 is a glorious beacon of lightbamb00 is a glorious beacon of lightbamb00 is a glorious beacon of lightbamb00 is a glorious beacon of lightbamb00 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Ser1N
40? I never heard of 40mpg to our car, max i get is like 32~
well now you have. search and you will see them a lot more.
Old 09-22-2005
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Blackpearl
I so at www.autocrossing.com/civic/trips/trip13 that people used the ScanGuage to check out what is the relation between MPG and MPH. As the graph shows http://www.autocrossing.com/civic/tr...13/mpg-mph.gif
the best fueleconomy is around 40 MPH and geting almost 60MPG. Is like a hybrid. I don't know how to trust this data, becouse this depend on so many factors. Most related to driving behaviour, type of fuel used, type of oil used ......).
I wondering what type of oil you guys are using and do you see correlatio between oil type and MPG?
i see the correlation but some of it is false. i cruise at 80 and still get 40 mpg. but i have iridium plugs. i believe that helps. i also change my oil every 3-4k. if you only drive 20 miles a day and warm up your car once then you would get worse than someone who drives a little more. gettin your rpms going faster also uses up more gas. i use valvoline oil-5-20. thicker oil means less mileage. mods also are a factor. intake/exhaust can make it better or worse depending on the driver. i get 40 unless i feel like having a lead foot. 60 is normal with a hybrid civic and insight and prius. so yeah. hope that helps
Old 09-27-2005
Registered!!

zadscmc has a spectacular aura aboutzadscmc has a spectacular aura aboutzadscmc has a spectacular aura about
The biggest factor of better mileage performance is driving habits. If you jackrabbit the car to 80 mph (3000+ rpm) you'll get lousy mileage. If you push it to 80 in a more leisurely manner (2000-3000 rpm), you'll get decent mileage. Hard accelerations and hard braking can reduce your mileage by about 30 percent or more, depending on the model and driving conditions.

I believe the CNN Money did an article on this recently.

Here is that article: http://money.cnn.com/2005/09/01/Auto...test/index.htm
Old 09-27-2005
For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you.

blackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant future
On my moms Town and Country, up where the temp. is dispayed it has the mpg also and other stuff to go through.
Old 09-27-2005

ncirom2003 will become famous soon enough
small amounts of acetone poured into your tank can increas mpg!
Old 09-27-2005
Registered!!

AggressiveAdam will become famous soon enoughAggressiveAdam will become famous soon enough
The Civic Hybrid shows you right on the cluster.

Quick Reply: Fuel Economy Gauge