General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Gas Saving Tips!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eclectic is an unknown quantity at this point
2. if you come to a light you know will last more than a minute, shut off your car. Just know when its your turn to start it back up again.
will this put stress on the starter/plugs?
Old 01-30-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
maybe thats a bad one to put here. just because it uses more gas to start again
Old 01-30-2006
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by gearbox
maybe thats a bad one to put here. just because it uses more gas to start again
i have heard that turning it off if you sit for a minute or more cause it saves gas. idk this about our cars but higher displacement motors i believe.
Old 01-30-2006
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
well yea idle uses alot of gas but i'm not sure it it also uses alot to start the car. then again the hybrid turns off too.
Old 01-31-2006
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
I know it used to be that it took about 5 minutes of gas (at idle) to start the the engine, regardless of diplacement. Frankly I wouldn't do it just because I would get distracted and forget to watch the other lights and be frantically tring to start my engine while other are waiting.
Old 01-31-2006

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
well yea idle uses alot of gas but i'm not sure it it also uses alot to start the car. then again the hybrid turns off too.

Hybrid also have a different starting system than most cars from what I understand. The electrical motors help push the car intially and then simply engage the engines, kind of like jumo starting a car by rolling down a hill and then putting it in gear.
Old 01-31-2006
Registered!!

Tbag is an unknown quantity at this point
It's totally different from the hybrid as far as sitting at a light and turning off. You WILL burn more gas turning it off and starting the engine on again....Leave it running...It's not a hybrid!!
Old 02-01-2006
Banned

spoonJDMlX is an unknown quantity at this point
ya me too i love driving but filling up sucks!

dude you drive a honda, its 4 banger and yet you still bitch about gas

v8....dont be bitching about paying 25-30bux to fill up a 4banger
Old 02-01-2006
Registered!!

wow, 69 bucks just to fill up that tank?
Old 02-01-2006
Registered!!

i've been tricked then, i heard some intakes help save gas
Old 02-01-2006
Premium Member

it depends. some intakes have given me 3mpg or more. i haven't tested with my new one yet cause i hate filling up the tank.
Old 02-01-2006

ncirom2003 will become famous soon enough
hybrids have auto shutoff at lights. and the gas light coming on, I've never had problems for the 3+ years I had the car. There should be at least 1-2 gallons left. Only way damage happens is if you run it til its dry and suck in that last 1% of gas thats low octane.
hybrids have the most intricate and complicated system, you cant compare it.
starting your car every stop sign will cause damage to your engine, at such low rpm's you get knock and it will do other damage, your starter will die sooner than if you started it say 3-4 times a day, compared to maybe a dozen.

why would you say fill up when its cold out? and why would you say the last bit of gas is lower octane rated?

also, rolling down hills putting it in neutral is good.
Old 02-01-2006

Originally Posted by Jrfish007
Hybrid also have a different starting system than most cars from what I understand. The electrical motors help push the car intially and then simply engage the engines, kind of like jumo starting a car by rolling down a hill and then putting it in gear.
theres two main systems toyota synergy (used in fords and lots more, its very complicated. and hondas IMA its more basic and still complicated though)

when you come to a stop the engine cuts out, in split seconds when the car senses your about to move it uses the higher ac voltage of the hybrid system (440volts) to start the car, cranking it at 1000 rpm rather than 250ish with the 12 volt car system. this reduces alot of wear and gas consumption upon startup. also due to the increased friction these engines are built with super smooth and durable metals that ours arent built with, the piston rings are very strong and do a great job.

gearbox i dont wanna be a d*ck but theres lots of people who know nothing about cars on this forum and so they are very impressionable, please research things before you post them just because they sound good in your train of thought. although many ideas are good.
Old 02-01-2006

oh and as far as engine braking or whatever, yes it does work to some extent. In my auto I can let go of the gas and the car will stop eventually. Rpms stay lower in gear than in neutral. So don't shift to neutral if you have a manual.
how do you figure?
if im in fourth strolling at 2grand, and i engine brake by downshifting to second (cus thats what engine braking is) the rpms will shoot up to say....... 3grand.......so how is that lower than if i put it in neutral and it was at 900?
Old 02-01-2006
Premium Member

gas is chemically denser at lower temperatures. its a known fact. so you will get more gas for the same price if you fill up when the ambient temp is lower.

don't know what i was thinking when i said don't shift in neutral with manual. i guess i'm thinking of the auto still. maybe it was a typo cause i meant to say auto.

Last edited by gearbox; 02-01-2006 at 11:31 PM.
Old 02-01-2006

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
gearbox, in an auto, the tranny is never really disconnected from the motor, unless its in neutral or park. the car will stop eventually cause friction exists. engine braking is only possible on manuals. even if you put the car in D only, if you go down hill without stepping on the gas, the **** will go fast.
Old 02-01-2006

Originally Posted by ragingSPAM
sorry guys to burst your bubble about the keeping the car near empty ALL the time is very very bad for your car...not neccessarily the engine but your fuel pump will burn up much much faster and can malfunction prematurely...
i HAVE studied this in my autotech classes and it is in my automotive technology book
in the gas tank the fuel pump is used to deliver fuel to the engine but doing so whenever the car is on makes the fuel pump very very hot...even though it gets very hot it does not igniite the gasoline on fire...the gasoline as a liquid actually keeps the fuel pump and the fuelpump pickup cool and regulates the temperature...since liquid gasoline without oxegen is impossible to light up (vapors are what is flamable)...so if u constantly keep you car on empty where the fuel never covers the fuel pump it will cause it to burn out quickly due to excessive heat damage so it will cost you more in the long run...also how do you know when u dont need your spare...a flat could happen anytime so a spare tire is there for emergencies not to be taken out "when you think you dont need it"...lol just my factoids about the gas and 2 cents about the spare...heh if you dont beleive me ask any ASE certified master technitian...yes a master tech because any idiot can get 1-2 certs...but all 8-9 is very very hard...or research it online...you could also lookin the book called "automotive technology" 4th edition
ONE HUNDRED PERCENT CORRECT!
gearbox the fuel pump design has to be the way it is, and with the gas that low its isnt covering it more than maybe a quarter of an inch (at the light). the only thing helping would be sloshing from corners.

oh and as for the flat....
so if i get a nail in my tire...... rather than swapping for the spare and spendign ten bucks to get it plugged (yes this is safe so dont start) you think i should spend buttloads on a towtruck then leave it someplace overnight to waiit for it? or you think i should use fix-a-flat which renders the tire useless and you NEED to get a new tire afterwards??
seriously........come on.
Old 02-01-2006

gas is chemically denser at lower temperatures. its a known fact. so you will get more gas for the same price if you fill up when the ambient temp is lower.

don't know what i was thinking when i said don't shift in neutral with manual. i guess i'm thinking of the auto still. maybe it was a typo cause i meant to say auto.
so you think that a maybe 15-20 degree difference will honestly get you more gas, thats worth practicing this idea?
we are talking thousandths of fractions of a gallon most likely (im sure one of our nice engineers can clear this up)
Old 02-01-2006

i agree with gearbox, colder=denser. more bang for the buck. its IS true. in the daytime in a summer, it would be 90 here in ga. at night it would be 50. then were talkin
Old 02-01-2006

well temps are diff for us, it is true i agree but.....its a bit too extreme for me and really its just overkill.

oh and for anyone complaining about bad mpg.....lol i found out why i was getting 23-27 city..... mice were living in my stock intake resonator box and so they had built a nice home with a nest up against the air filter covering it with 1-1.5 inches of padding of fibers and such. there was a small uncovered part about 2 inches wide in diameter(a circle) thats all i had been sucking air through for a while......now i cleaned it out and its def. more responsive and fallin on its face less. as for mpg i just filled up and im hoping for a 29-32 range.

edit: so why do you say the last bit of gas is lower rated octane?

Last edited by ncirom2003; 02-02-2006 at 12:06 AM.
Old 02-02-2006
Premium Member

how much will the fuel pump be covered at 1/2 full? thats where i usually keep mine at. when the gas light comes on, i have 3 gallons left so i figure about 8 gallons in there at 1/2 which is more than half the tank. well 4 years later the pump is fine so idk.

spare tire, no need for me anyway. i have free towing from my warranty. i call and have it towed to my apt. the town is only maybe 10 miles long. in other words i can have it towed from anywhere in the city. now if i go long distance then yea i'll throw the spare in the back seat.
Old 02-02-2006

yea at half full im sure its more than fine, as long as its not at the light 24/7 it will overheat.

thats fine about the spare tire for you, but obviously not everyone else is in this situation, so its NOT a good idea for them to take out the spare.
Old 02-02-2006
Premium Member

oh yea don't get fix-a-flat and stick it in your trunk! it might explode and then you're screwed in more ways than one. also tire people hate that stuff.
Old 02-02-2006
Registered!!

it depends. some intakes have given me 3mpg or more. i haven't tested with my new one yet cause i hate filling up the tank.
list please!
Old 02-02-2006
Premium Member

well aem sri but that intake was a pos and prolly all the power loss gave better mileage. i haven't really tested the others but i've gotten my highest ever highway miles (42mpg) with the typhoon intake.
Old 02-02-2006

The whole thing about it being different temps won't do much because (well around here any way) the gas is stored underground... about 15-20 feet if a I remember correctly, and once you get below about 5 feet under ground, the temp is pretty much the same all day and only changes a little. For us here in Ohio, it's around 55F all year around. So really the only gas this applies to is the gas that has been setting in the pump above ground for a few minutes, which is going to change anything.
Old 02-02-2006

yea but if a tanker comes in the summer with a gas delivery, how much hotter do you think it will be? its ALOT. i know cause i work at a gas station
Old 02-02-2006

Originally Posted by MajinB
yea but if a tanker comes in the summer with a gas delivery, how much hotter do you think it will be? its ALOT. i know cause i work at a gas station
I d=try not to get gas if I see the tanker there.... but yeah, you have a point.
Old 02-02-2006
Premium Member

yea i just turn around and go someplace else.
Old 02-03-2006
Registered!!

well aem sri but that intake was a pos and prolly all the power loss gave better mileage. i haven't really tested the others but i've gotten my highest ever highway miles (42mpg) with the typhoon intake.
K&N offers typhoon in cold air and short ram versions right? i'm assuming you are talking about typhoon sri?

thanks man

Quick Reply: Gas Saving Tips!!!!!!!!!!!!!