General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

why so many LX's?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wishihadavtec is an unknown quantity at this point
why so many LX's?

i too have a LX, and i love it, but i was wondering why so many people have them instead of HX's. whats the reason for it? HX's have the vtec but the LX doesnt yet everyone has a LX and few have HX
Old 01-27-2002
www.ImportFactor.Com

WhosYoDadday85 should not be trustedWhosYoDadday85 should not be trusted
HX = hard to find parts for

I dont know if the HX also has power stuff like windows and doors[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]

Plus when turbos come out, the LX can handle a higher boost because it has a lower compression ratio[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-27-2002
Giggity Giggity

Dakker is an unknown quantity at this point
I heard they produce far less HX's than Lx/Ex
Old 01-28-2002
Registered!!

PlatnumBomb is an unknown quantity at this point
doesn't the LX have power windows while the HX doesn't...

I think that's why I went for the LX...but i forget
Old 01-28-2002
RESIDENT ROTOR HEAD

nookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of light
Generally, LX's are popular, since alot of people "plan" on getting turbos. Normally, the EX engine has a higher compression ratio, and turbo would be a very touchy setup. Turbo would increase the compression ratio, which would cause more pressure than what the engine could handle. LX's are an easier platform for turbo.
Old 01-28-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
I was considering either the HX or LX, but the HX had no A/C. The option of adding A/C to the HX brought up the cost to something like $25 over that of an LX and you still don't get the power windows. Two things which I really wanted. Then there was the lack of velour for the seat covers. I think the 2001 HX had less than the 2002 HX. I don't quite remember though? If they didn't have the alloy wheels on the HX and added the power windows instead, then I would have gotten it. Just add in the option of the A/C and you have almost an EX equivalent for $25 more than an LX since you also have the VTEC and the rear stabilizer bar.
Old 01-28-2002
Registered!!

mykel115 is an unknown quantity at this point

<< HX's have the vtec but the LX doesnt yet everyone has a LX and few have HX >>

HX uses VTEC-E means economy Vtec. Means when normal driving it uses only 3 valve per cylinder to save gas. But when the Vtec kick in its the only time it uses all four valve. Well LX has no Vtec but its 16 valve it uses all four valve per cylinder thru out the rpm
Old 01-28-2002
Registered!!

NeoMagus is an unknown quantity at this point
The EX has the same VTEC-E thats in the HX.

Also the prototype Turbo from HKS is on an EX
Old 01-28-2002
Registered!!

Jandree22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Neo, not that i'm disagreeing with ya, just wondering tho... If the HX and EX have the same engine and same type of VTEC, how comes the HX gets 44 MPG and the EX get's more torque/HP? It kinda just seems to me that they'd be built a lil dif[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG] I dunno, just curious
Old 01-28-2002
Life Begins > 6800rpms
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
neo's right, the HKS project is a coupe EX[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-28-2002
Registered!!

HX has a diff type of transmission and VTEC-E(HX's is referred to as "Lean Burn") which is geared for better gas mileage.

VTEC-E in the 2k1 is for Economy, as stated by the E. Straight from the brochure:

Old 01-28-2002
Registered!!

FiresVTEC is an unknown quantity at this point
jandree, neo is right. both the EX and the HX are VTEC-E engines, but the EX is tuned a little differently to get a little more HP/torque, and the expense of that is less mpg.
Old 01-28-2002
Registered!!

astr033 is an unknown quantity at this point
I think the reason we don't see more HX owners is because no one seems to know anything about them. Just from reading the previous posts in this thread (and other threads that discuss the HX) I can see that half of you have your facts completely wrong about the HX. Thankfully people like NeoMagus have done some reading and know what they're talking about.

Being an HX owner and someone who researched the pros/cons to the DX, LX, HX, and EX, here is my take on it:

- Pricewise, an HX with AC installed is about the same price as an LX that already has AC.

- LX and HX both have power locks. LX has power windows. HX does not.

- HX comes standard with alloy wheels. DX, LX, EX do not.

- HX has a VTEC-E engine which is the same as the EX. The difference is that the HX has a Lean Burn system which results in a higher air-to-fuel ratio at low RPM's (generally below 2500rpm). Do a web search for "lean burn" and perhaps you'll find a better description of how this works.

- According to other posts in this thread you apparently can't add a turbo to the HX because of the higher compression ratio. I can't confirm it but it makes sense to me. So if you want to add a turbocharger, go for the LX. Also, it appears from other posts that other mods are easier for an LX than an HX (or that it is easier to find parts for an LX). However, if you're interested in modding an HX then email me and I'll put you in touch with some people who have successfully modified HX's.

In summary, get an LX if you want any of the following:
power windows, ability to add a turbocharger, ease of finding parts

Get an HX if you want any of the following:
higher gas mileage, alloy wheels, VTEC-E engine, uniqueness (because let's face it, HX owners are few and far between). And if you want to be super cool [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG] you can go for the CVT on the HX (I just had to throw that in).

Did I miss anything?
Old 01-28-2002
Registered!!

Diznavis is an unknown quantity at this point
if they made a coupe with gas mileage of an HX and the features of an EX, i would have bought it[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-28-2002
Registered!!

Jimmy24 is an unknown quantity at this point
EX has the highesty compression ratio of all with the hx 9.9:1, then lx and dx 9.5:1. HX is just a fuel saving car. no a/c, less weight, different trans, lean burn.
Old 01-28-2002
Registered!!

ILLWILL is an unknown quantity at this point
first off why do people say the lx is not vtech

you can gods damm hear the vtechs cry when u floor it and on top of that thers a vtech controler right next to the throttle
and if u dont belive me whyyyyyy do the make a vtech controller for the lx andddddddd the ex
man guys gett ur reserch straight
Old 01-28-2002
Registered!!

FURY is an unknown quantity at this point
Old 01-28-2002
Registered!!

racinginindy is an unknown quantity at this point
HX's use that CVT transmission as well. (Constant Velocity Tranny) like on four wheelers. It kinda blows for power and performance.
Old 01-28-2002
Registered!!

SilverCivSedan is an unknown quantity at this point
The only Ex's on the lot when i got my 01 LX were coupes and coupes insurance is too high for me. I do wish I had silver mirrors and door handles though.[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-28-2002
Registered!!

ill first off its VTEC.

Second, LX and DX covers say HONDA. EX and HX say HONDA
VTEC.

And they dont make a VTEC controller for the LX or the EX your right there. They make it for the B16/D16 engine.

Which you dont have in a 2k1 LX or EX (therefore it dont work anyway)

FURY, you put it the best man....what an idiot.

and racing, CVT stands for Continusuly Variable Transmission. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-28-2002
Registered!!

Diznavis is an unknown quantity at this point
well said fury[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-28-2002
www.ImportFactor.Com

WhosYoDadday85 should not be trustedWhosYoDadday85 should not be trusted

<< first off why do people say the lx is not vtech

you can gods damm hear the vtechs cry when u floor it and on top of that thers a vtech controler right next to the throttle
and if u dont belive me whyyyyyy do the make a vtech controller for the lx andddddddd the ex
man guys gett ur reserch straight
>>

After seeing that post, I'm gonna start a little thing that has the funniest things that I have ever read on this board. Starting with that post... [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-28-2002
Registered!!

if ya want more just look for his other posts....I think we got another lowPRO.... [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-29-2002
Registered!!

I think he better do a research in the Honda website.
But hey, It's always good to laugh once in a while!!!!![IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

An Fury-----you're cruel man but that was the funniest!!!!![IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-29-2002
Registered!!

<< EX has the highesty compression ratio of all, then the hx, then lx and dx. HX is just a fuel saving car. no a/c, less weight, different trans, lean burn. >>

The HX and EX have the same compression ratio (9.9:1). The DX and LX have a compression ratio of 9.5:1.

Check this link to confirm what I'm saying:
http://www.hondacars.com/models/civi.../features.html
Old 01-29-2002
Registered!!

<< HX's use that CVT transmission as well. (Constant Velocity Tranny) like on four wheelers. It kinda blows for power and performance. >>

First, CVT stands for "continuously variable transmission" (NeoMagus already corrected that). There are some variations on what it stands for, but "constant velocity" certainly doesn't make much sense.

Second, the HX does quite well for performance and power. It doesn't have the power of an EX and I don't know firsthand how it compares to a DX or LX but I do know that my CVT loves hills and it accelerates quick enough to make me happy. It would be nice to have the chance to compare (i.e. possibly race) the HX CVT against other Civics sometime so that I have firsthand knowledge of the difference in acceleration.

There's one thing I'm not sure about with the HX. I originally thought the difference between the HX and EX VTEC-E engine was that the HX just had the Lean Burn system. Now I know that the two engines have different engine codes. I hear that they are tuned differently but I have no reliable source to confirm this. Can someone help me out with this?

Thanks!
Old 01-29-2002
Registered!!

Yes you are right---ex and hx = 9.9:1
Old 01-29-2002
Registered!!

I don't really know but I am sure is got to be something with the fuel flow and the vtec engagement point
Old 01-30-2002
AC
Registered!!

AC is an unknown quantity at this point
The reason i think there are more LX then everything esl is this. DX engines are two samll and the have stock almost everything with no power windoews or sides, The EX/HX cost more moeny then the others but they have more power and power iwndows. LX is in the middle it has power windows and engine is somewhat good i wish i had a LX [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-30-2002
Registered!!

Jandree22 is an unknown quantity at this point
DX = base engine, base everything

LX = base engine, some upgrade convenience features (power windows, A/C, etc.)

HX = VTEC-E Lean Burn, in between DX and LX as far as convenience features (good on gas)

EX = VTEC-E, top of the line, power everything, (performance Civic)

there ya have it