General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

redline....

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
supsoop is an unknown quantity at this point
redline....

sorry if this has already been asked but i did a search and couldnt find it. i have a 2k1 coupe dx manual, i just wanted to know what the redline in mph are for my car (cause i dont have a tach).

1st: ?
2nd: ?
3rd: ?
4th: ?
5th: ?

i was just wondering cause it always sounds like im redlining when im going:

1st: 15
2nd: 25
3rd: 39
4th: 55-60

i havnt really gone passed thos cause it sounds like the engines gonna blow, thats y i thing im redlining, any suggestions?

btw, everythings stock cause i just got it last week
Old 01-27-2002
Registered!!

mikalem is on a distinguished road
I'd suggest going and getting a tach if you are really worried about it..... there's a DIY around here to wire up an aftermarket tach and there's been a few threads posted about switching out the gauge cluster to a lx/ex cluster (Sorry I didn't pay that much attention to it, I drive an EX [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG] )
Old 01-27-2002
Registered!!

Sparty is an unknown quantity at this point
I've never really payed attention but I can tell you this much.

Take the number of the gear you're in, and add a zero to the end.

When you're going that speed, you're at 2500 RPMS.

Example:
3rd Gear
30 MPH
2500 RPMS

Add 10 to the original speed and you're at 3000 RPMS. I get bored a lot in the car, and start to pick out little things like this [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG] Oh, and by the way...this is all on an EX. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-27-2002
Registered!!

insan is an unknown quantity at this point
just rev it up till u hit the limiter
Old 01-27-2002
Giggity Giggity

Dakker is an unknown quantity at this point
I guess that would work! hehehe
Old 01-27-2002
Registered!!

Slammed2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
I was just going to say hit the rev-limiter.
Chris
Old 01-27-2002
spoiledsteph

i think just follow the sounds of your engine...thats what i did with my first car since it didn't have a tach...then i got my civic, and found out that when i would listen to the engine and change gears, the average rpm was about 3000. i think that for the different gears, the speeds are:

1st: 10-15
2nd: 20-25
3rd: 30-35
4th: 40-50
5TH: 50-UP

thats the scale that i use usually...hope that helps.

Old 01-27-2002
Registered!!

nbpEMCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
yo dude...there's no way ur redlining at those speeds...the egines get pretty loud..even in stock fourm...my advice..get and aftermarket tach
Old 01-27-2002
Registered!!

mykel115 is an unknown quantity at this point
Listening to a engine ehh Well that's not a good way to drive a manual. Well if you really doesn't have the Tach and care about how your car will accelerate as fast as you can you must feel your car torque. You must know your car peak torque and when to shift to stay you on the peak band. You will learn it by experience specially if you do a lot of drag racing or stop light drag racing. Or whatever
Old 01-27-2002
Registered!!

Dmitri is an unknown quantity at this point
red line for my LX (same engine as DX).. I can remember first and third..

First: 30-32
Third: 80-85

Fourth and fifth, you'll hit the speed limiter before you hit the rev limiter.

Try experimenting by hopping on the freeway to find second. Start watching when the engine gets really loud and listen and feel for when the fuel shuts off momentarily. There will be your redline. Civics shut off at 6800 which is redline.
Old 01-27-2002
Registered!!

Waldo is an unknown quantity at this point
i know in every import car your redline in 2nd is around 60-63 mph and what you think your redlinin at your not i know your not ive accidently downshifteed from redlining at third into 2nd once and all it did was busted a altenator belt
Old 01-27-2002
Registered!!

Hwoody77 can only hope to improve
You must be sick man.

Not every import redlines in second at about 60 MPHs. Most performace cars do, not imports.

Old 01-27-2002
Registered!!

I've always wondered what would happen if i did that.. [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

guess that's why I make it a point to know the redline speeds.
Old 01-27-2002
Registered!!

I think it's close to 60.. somewhere around 50 to 55.
Old 01-28-2002
Registered!!

supsoop is an unknown quantity at this point
its cause i dont want to over rev the engine to much cause the lifespan will drop dramatically [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/IMG] but i wanted to know the redline to for when im racing
Old 01-28-2002
Registered!!

ecliptiCz is an unknown quantity at this point
Just pick up a simple tachometer anywhere that sells automotive parts. Not that hard to install. Just drive sane for now, until you know what RPMs you're hitting. ... THEN go all out.

Old 01-28-2002
Registered!!

SoNiCcIvIc is an unknown quantity at this point

<< its cause i dont want to over rev the engine to much cause the lifespan will drop dramatically [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/IMG] but i wanted to know the redline to for when im racing >>

Ah... revving too long in a gear can damage the tranny, yeah. The engine? Uh, it's a racing bred VTEC. I say rev it up like the booklet says. Anyways, I got an EX... and I've redlined maybe twice or three times in 2nd gear. It's not good. The gas will stop pumping at 7,000 RPMs (not 6,800 though it looks like it doesn't it?) The engine can handle being revved, that's why the transmission is a manual. You can stay in a gear for a while... not too long when revving it.

At any rate this is how fast I can go in each gear... don't think I drive like this all the time. I don't. It gets boring eventually but I love to rev first gear.

1st gear: 31MPH
2nd gear: 56MPH (may be a bit more, too)
3rd gear: 85MPH (not sure... I don't like using 3rd gear for long but it's probably close to 90)
4th gear: 112MPH
5th gear: Never done it... everyone says the governor kicks in at 127 on a EX. Easy to remember since it's the amount of horses the car has. The fastest I've been in 5th was 120 and then I just slowed down cuz I didn't want to get caught on the San Mateo bridge... even though it was like 3am.

No engine mods on my Civic yet either. I'm waiting for better performance mods to come out later.
Old 01-28-2002
Registered!!

Getting it up to the limiter isn't going to hurt the car. That's why the put the limiters on is to make sure you don't ruin the car. The life won't be dramatically reduced... You just may want to get more frequent oil changes if you want to continually run at high revs.
Old 01-28-2002
Registered!!

STYLIN2K2 is an unknown quantity at this point

<< i think just follow the sounds of your engine...thats what i did with my first car since it didn't have a tach...then i got my civic, and found out that when i would listen to the engine and change gears, the average rpm was about 3000. i think that for the different gears, the speeds are:

1st: 10-15
2nd: 20-25
3rd: 30-35
4th: 40-50
5TH: 50-UP

thats the scale that i use usually...hope that helps.
>>

thats how I do it also
Old 01-28-2002
Registered!!

ILLWILL is an unknown quantity at this point
i think but im not sure

1 gear should red lines at 30
2 gear red lines at 55
3 gear red lines at 85-90
4 is 115
and u know we got our governors and 5 gear is a sad story
Old 01-29-2002
Registered!!

SoNiCcIvIc is an unknown quantity at this point

<< Getting it up to the limiter isn't going to hurt the car. That's why the put the limiters on is to make sure you don't ruin the car. The life won't be dramatically reduced... You just may want to get more frequent oil changes if you want to continually run at high revs. >>

That's why I needed an oil change at 5k miles. [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG] My car started to slow down and it took a while for the tach needle to rise. (I still raced my car and won.) After the oil change... felt like I could kiss the sky. Grey knew how I felt. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]

REV THAT SUCKA, and get a tachometer so you can see how cool your car sounds when you rev it to the max! But don't... don't redline. Fire can come outta your exhaust from pushing the engine too hard and Civics aren't batmoblies. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]

I wanted to do this on a Prelude Type SH but the car didn't have enough gas and I was test driving it. The engine's so quieter in there... guess that's just cuz the engine is closer to us in our Civics.