General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

(TEST) Road & Track - 2oo6 Eclipse GT

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HorrorSkopes is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation (TEST) Road & Track - 2oo6 Eclipse GT

lol @ all the people who called it a boat and couldn't do 14's. I can't believe a few you said, "it's a 15sec car because it's weight".

Quick Stats:

0-60: 5.8 seconds!
1/4 mile: 14.4 @ 101mph!

Just to compare, the G35 coupe 0-60 in 5.9 and 1/4 mile in 14.4 @100.6, 350Z 5.6 and 14.1 @ 101.8.

The R&T staff is divided on their feeling about the current Mitsubishi Eclipse. There are those who genuinely like the car, no doubt because of its ultra smooth 205-bhp V6, easy to live with personality and comfortable yet capable handling. They dont give a hoot about it being stereotyped as a "chick car." But others dont feel the current car fills our needs as proper sport-ing device the way the much loved first and second generation cars (especially the all wheel drive turbo models) did.

Mitsubishi must have been thinking the same thing, because ever since the Concept E show car (upon which the 4th gen car that graces these pages is based) made its appearance at the 2004 Detroit auto show, they've been hinting about returning the Eclipse to its roots to "take the nameplate's legendary status among import sport enthusiasts to new heights."

There is no denying the influence of the 1995-1999 second generation car (arguably the best looking of the eclipses), most notably the way the roof tapers back into large rear fenders. Its also quite impressive how closly the production car's styling mimics the Concept- E; the shape of the new car is markedly more dynamic then the 2005 model, and we're sepecially happy to be rid of those cheese grater doors.

Several exterior details make this car stand out, such as the "chrome under glass" rear spoiler, chrome laced clear lens covered head and taillamps, LED brake lights and shapely exterior door handles. These elements give the car some flash without being over the top. If there is an area where Mitsu's designers missed the mark, its the front end, which bears a striking likeness to Pontiac Sunfire-not a good thing.

The eclipse is not just a swoopy new body thrown on the old architecture; it rides on a new platform, called PS, that first saw duty under the Endeavor SUV and then the new Galant. All three vehicles are built at the normal, Illinois, plant. With the increased size of the PS, the eclipse has grown by 2.3, width by 3.3, height by 2.2 and front and rear tracks by 2.4. Interior volume is up as well, for instance, head room inceasing by an inch.

Mitsubishi claims it has shifted the focus of the eclipse back toward the sporting end of the spectrum (less creampuff), and as such the structure is now signifacntly stiffer. Bending rigidity is up 119 precent while torsional rigidity is up by 11.

Unfortunately, this larger, stiffer platform (plus a bigger V6, more on that later) has made the Eclipse into quite the portly fellow; the last third genetation car we tested in November 2001 had a curb weight of 3190lb. The new one weighs in at 3570! Suddenly we're not liking Mitsubishi's new math. But aside from the weight issue and the fantastic new shape, the biggest news for the Eclipse is the new engine that powers the GT model: its a cast iron block, aluminum head 3.8 liter SOHC V6 that delivers 263bhp at 5750 rpm along with 260 lb.-ft. of front tire shredding torque at 4500 rpm.

It features MIVEC (mitsubishi Innovative Variable timing and lift Electronic Control) to optimize the powerband at both low and high RPM running. It works. MIVEC plus the increased capacity give this 3.8 power to spare at all times, with extra kick at higher rpm. The outgoing 3.0 liter defined the term "buttery smooth." The new one should be classified as "buttery smooth, but with some serious rip."

Despite the weight handicap, the new Eclipse absolutely trounces the old car in acceleration, no doubt helped by the new 6-speed manual transmission ( a 5 speed automatic with sportronic manual shifting is available) that has relatively short throws, with just a touch or rubberiness. Zero to 60 mph takes a mere 5.8 seconds (smack dab in Nissan 350Z territory), with the quarter mile flying by in 14.4 sec. At 101.0 mph. The 2001 Eclipse with the 5 speed manualhit 60 mph in 7.2 sec., respectable but not thrilling.

The eclipse uses MacPherson strut front and multilink rear suspension that, like the outgoing car, is calibrated on the soft side, and for 2006 suspension travel has been increased. Similarly, the optional P235/45R-18 Goodyear Eagle RS-A all season tires (part of premium Sport package) aren't particulary sticky, but they deliver a nice ride while transmitting barely any road noise. Those same tires adversely affected our panic braking distances of 127 ft. from 60 mph and 224 from 80. Those numbers are far from spectacular, but understandable considering the tires and the weight of the car.

The brakes themselves 11.6 in. rotors up front and 11.2 at the rear (both vented) help up well on the run up and down a local mountian road, with nary a trace of fade and little smoke, though the pedal could be a bit firmer.

So how does it drive? Like a GT car... meaning we enjoyed taking it up the mountain road, but it wouldnt be our weapon of choice for that battle. It shines in more normal everyday spirited driving, the kind you would do on the way to work, running errands and taking weekend trips on highways or winding two lanes; track days are out. For sure, the new Eclipse is one of the most comfortable sports couples on the market, delivering a remarkably smooth ride, a quiet cockpit and superb front seats.

So is this the second coming of the Eclipse? In a word, no. I'm no physics major, but all that weight distributed 61 percent front/39 percent rear along with front wheel drive, soft springs, too much body roll and all season tires (that start squealing in protest long before they should) do not a sports car make. Understeer is the rule of the day entering low speed corners, while torque steer and wildly spinning inside front tire ( a limited slip differential is not available) make themselves evident on the way out.

All that said the car responds pretty well to both drop throttle and left foot braking to dial out the understeer (throttle and brake can be overlapped, as the car does not have a stability system that cuts power). The Eclipse responds even better as speeds increase, eating up high speed sweepers, with driver induced oversteer tendencies available if called upon. And what's important here is that the new Eclipse handles better then our previous test car: 0.83g versus 0.74g around the skidpad, and 64.1mph versus 63.0 navigating the slalom.

In contrast to the boy racer exterior, the interior of the eclipse is, well, kind of normal, but still sporting where it needs to be. And we like it that way. All controls are easy to use immediatly, and chrome rings around the insturments add some pizazz, as do the flip cellphone inspired interior door openers. The optional 650 watt Rockford Fosgate audio system with a trunk mounted subwoofer cranks out the tunes and the Ice blue interior lighting is...cool.

Pricing is also an Eclipse strong point, as you get quite a lot of a car for the money. The base 4 cylinder will start around $20,000 when the car goes on sale mid year. The V6 GT should begin at about $23,000, with a well loaded example like our test car hovering at near $27,000. Okay, so the new Eclipse isnt the sports car we hoped it would be. But dispite a few shortcomings, its definitely better then the car it replaces and a step in the right direction. Yes, we wanted an all out performance car, but Mitsubishi already offers one of those, its called a Lancer Evolution. The Eclipse is for those who want the striking good looks of a sports coupe, but dont want to put up with the harsh rides and boomy interiors of, say, the Evo and 350Z. Its for someone considering an Acura RSX, But who actually wants some power. Did we mention the Eclipse engine?

My Take:Good article, the car is capable of running 13.9-14.1 with better rubber. Why/How you ask? Well, the GT is equipped with Eagle RS-A, the same dam tires on the lancer ralliart... and they are garbage, im still running these stockies myself. MT ran a 14.9 in stock ralliart w/ bf goodrich tires. Reason why mitsu goes with the RS-A is because they are really cheap (price wise) and also they are all season, I really wish they would have gone with some summer rubber. Also, MIVEC is also re-tunned for more HP in the higher RPM's. I still wouldn't buy one, because... eclipse is just not my taste, but it's a good start for mitsu upcomming line up.
Old 05-01-2005
New Mod on the Block

Rennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond repute
too lazy to read...
Old 05-01-2005
Nothing works better than a Chris except a Honda.

CivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of light
Wow. Interesting stuff.

My biggest complaint is though that they didn't work out that powertrain AWD hybrid crap that they were showing off when the showed the concept E. I mean, that would have brought the weight up no doubt, but they could have done better than 61/39 especially if it had AWD like the concept. Yes, the price would have been higher, but that would also mean the could take it up to G35 pricing, which would be another canidate for people looking for a sporty coupe.

Step in the right direction, yes, for sure. Are we there yet? No.
Old 05-01-2005
O RLY
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

S2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to behold
sorry but it's not gonna break 13's stock. 3570 pounds and 260hp is gonna keep it in 14's. better rubber isn't going to knock a half second off. i'd guess 14.2 with the BEST drivers and some much better street tires.

I'm actually a bit disappointed at mitsubishi.... they are going the route of the 1/4 mile mentality. i'm willing to bet the car handles like a fat kid chasing a cupcake.

and i'm unsure why they keep mentioning the 350Z..... the 350Z has way much more to offer than the eclipse. they aren't even in the same class.

and 5.8 0-60 in 350Z territory? lol sure. then the 350Z must be in Z06 territory.
Old 05-01-2005
Registered!!

Wolfgang5884 has a spectacular aura aboutWolfgang5884 has a spectacular aura aboutWolfgang5884 has a spectacular aura about
sorry it's still an Eclipse
Old 05-01-2005
I went to prison a boy and came out a man with a sore ass!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
QBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of light
weaksauce.
Old 05-01-2005
Registered!!

HorrorSkopes is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation

Originally Posted by S2000man01
sorry but it's not gonna break 13's stock. 3570 pounds and 260hp is gonna keep it in 14's. better rubber isn't going to knock a half second off. i'd guess 14.2 with the BEST drivers and some much better street tires.

I'm actually a bit disappointed at mitsubishi.... they are going the route of the 1/4 mile mentality. i'm willing to bet the car handles like a fat kid chasing a cupcake.

and i'm unsure why they keep mentioning the 350Z..... the 350Z has way much more to offer than the eclipse. they aren't even in the same class.

and 5.8 0-60 in 350Z territory? lol sure. then the 350Z must be in Z06 territory.
It will break 13's w/ new rubber, high 13's... 13.9, it's possible, but it can do it. I know the tires, I let 00celicatgts6spd drive my car and here is what he said:
Originally Posted by 00celicagts6spd
I also found out tha this tires blow hardcore. he'd be able to launch much better with some real tires. balding all seasons don't make for good drag tires.
Beyond that fact, alot of you guys (not you) said it couldnt break low 15's or even high 14's or even mid 14's because it's weight, and well it did. Put it like this... 350z, s2k, srt4, g35 are low 14sec cars, but w/ the right driver they can break 13's, same goes for the new eclipse, it's possible.
Old 05-01-2005
jdmtytedoridori

Al Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of light
i dont really like the way it looks. kinda like the srt, sure, its fast, but i dont like the way it looks. and it isn't gonna last very long.
Old 05-01-2005
Registered!!

K20EQUIPPED is an unknown quantity at this point
not my cup of tea...
Old 05-01-2005
O RLY

S2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by HorrorSkopes
It will break 13's w/ new rubber, high 13's... 13.9, it's possible, but it can do it. I know the tires, I let 00celicatgts6spd drive my car and here is what he said:

Beyond that fact, alot of you guys (not you) said it couldnt break low 15's or even high 14's or even mid 14's because it's weight, and well it did. Put it like this... 350z, s2k, srt4, g35 are low 14sec cars, but w/ the right driver they can break 13's, same goes for the new eclipse, it's possible.
I guess if you look comparably at other cars within that power spectrum, and then look at the weight. I think 14.4 is about one of the best times you'll ever see for this car stock. Better tires, again maybe 14.2 at best. 13's is with a strong *** following wind and jesus pushing you off the line. Now this is my opinion, and of course you're entitled to yours, but I don't think 13's is realistic stock. The stock SRT4 has like 30 less horsepower but weighs like 600 pounds less and can BARELY run a 13.8. I honestly think 14.4 is among the best times you'll see for this car stock.
Old 05-01-2005
Registered!!

skarteez is an unknown quantity at this point
remember, 14.4 and 13.99 is a big difference in the 400m. as S2kMan said, its the weight. even if better street tires were mounted on the wheels, the launch is still going to be one of the weakpoints simply because.... of weight. hard to drag that heavy of a body off the line regardless of the torque outputs or the powerband.

we'll shutup once its proven []
Old 05-01-2005
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
I would love this car if I could shed about 1000 pounds. It would take alot to strip that much but the car as it is in a 2600 pound form would be amazing. actually taking it anywhere under 3000 pounds would be nice. too bad im not gunna get one anyway.
Old 05-01-2005
Registered!!

kasimmmmm has a spectacular aura aboutkasimmmmm has a spectacular aura aboutkasimmmmm has a spectacular aura about
the fact that the '06 eclipse is so god damn ooooooogly makes me not care how quick it i s...
Old 05-01-2005
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all
they should just bring back the 99 GSX eclipse. Just build up the turbo so its 250hp and change the headlights to projectors and boom you got something probably faster then the 3rd and 4th gen eclipse and looks a hell of a lot better. NO R&D cost and everyone would like it.
Old 05-01-2005
Registered!!

VTECTypeR is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by S2000man01
I guess if you look comparably at other cars within that power spectrum, and then look at the weight. I think 14.4 is about one of the best times you'll ever see for this car stock. Better tires, again maybe 14.2 at best. 13's is with a strong *** following wind and jesus pushing you off the line. Now this is my opinion, and of course you're entitled to yours, but I don't think 13's is realistic stock. The stock SRT4 has like 30 less horsepower but weighs like 600 pounds less and can BARELY run a 13.8. I honestly think 14.4 is among the best times you'll see for this car stock.

Hahahaha so true
Old 05-02-2005
RESIDENT ROTOR HEAD

nookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by HorrorSkopes
My Take:Good article, the car is capable of running 13.9-14.1 with better rubber. Why/How you ask? Well, the GT is equipped with Eagle RS-A, the same dam tires on the lancer ralliart... and they are garbage, im still running these stockies myself. MT ran a 14.9 in stock ralliart w/ bf goodrich tires. Reason why mitsu goes with the RS-A is because they are really cheap (price wise) and also they are all season, I really wish they would have gone with some summer rubber. Also, MIVEC is also re-tunned for more HP in the higher RPM's. I still wouldn't buy one, because... eclipse is just not my taste, but it's a good start for mitsu upcomming line up.
You need to realize that most car companies put sh!tty rubber on their cars from the factory. Not only that, but you're talking about a half a second improvement from better rubber?? I really hope you're talking about drag slicks and small super light weight wheels, because unless you live in never-never land, that's never going to happen.
Old 05-02-2005
Touch it... He won't bite, He'll just come at you pretty quick.

Blahman240 is on a distinguished road
14's stock? Think about what 20 psi could do. :-D
Old 05-02-2005
I went to prison a boy and came out a man with a sore ass!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
QBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of light
13's is with a strong *** following wind and jesus pushing you off the line
Maybe with Jesus driving the car downhill lol.
Old 05-02-2005
Registered!!

watermelonman is an unknown quantity at this point
I guess it may appeal to serious FWD drag racers and complete posers.