General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Buy Evo tomorrow? HELP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eightball will become famous soon enoughEightball will become famous soon enough
Buy Evo tomorrow? HELP!!!!!

So I went looking at cars the other day. I looked at evo, 350Z, and RX8. I told the guy at mitsu to call me if he got any used evos in and he called me a few days later and said he got one. I kinda like the 350Z better, but performance wise I like the evo. So I went and checked out the evo. Its an 03 VIII 23K miles, just under $26,000. Stock except no wing and looks like a diff intake and a boost and temp gauge added. They said they'd give me $9,000 trade in on my vic. I applied and they came up with $486 a month, for 5 years. Don't know if they'll go any cheaper, i didn't try. Im supposed to call them and let them know by 11:00am tomorrow if I want it. i only make $28,000 a year, but hey its an evo!!! If i don't get the evo i'm gonna get a 350Z. What do you guys think?

OK UPDATE for everyone to clear some things up. I don't pay rent right now. I'm moving out within a year. I will have roomates, rent wont be alot. I don't have my vic paid off. i still owe just under $8000. INSURANCE QUOTE....$5.00 MORE THAN MY VIC. (between $500-600 every 6 months) If i go on my own policy they quoted me $621 every 6 months on Evo. The car doesnt have a wing cuz whoever owned it swaped trunks cuz the trunk vin# doesn't match. I pay $320 monthly on vic. Evo would be $171 more a month including insurance. And I haven't even started trying to talk them down on price at all. I know its pricey for my income but I am really good w/ money. If i don't get a new car I'm gettin a bike, so either way I'll be spending more monthly. Life's been kickin me in the *** for the last year and I just want to have some fun. I love my vic but its way too slow for me plus its an auto. I probably won't buy this Evo unless I can get it for $420 monthly. If the payments are too much in the future, I can always get a different car. If I don't get this evo i'll probably shop around for a while and get a 350Z. (Number of calls from Mitsu salesman today 4) Wonder when I'll give him an answer, lol

Last edited by eightball_469; 04-29-2005 at 11:18 PM.
Old 04-29-2005
Ace Ventura

my05civic24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Get the freakin evo man.. There is a video of an EVO whooping the sh-t out of a V8 Cobra, that should tell you something. I always wanted an EVO, I would get the EVO.
Old 04-29-2005
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

bamb00 is a glorious beacon of lightbamb00 is a glorious beacon of lightbamb00 is a glorious beacon of lightbamb00 is a glorious beacon of lightbamb00 is a glorious beacon of lightbamb00 is a glorious beacon of light
i'd say save your money for other future investments.
Old 04-29-2005
Registered!!

pimpc is an unknown quantity at this point
Screw both of those cars...get an STI
Old 04-29-2005
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all
honestly its not worth it, if you only make 28k a yr.

The cost of insurance will probably be as much as your car payments. If you round to 1k thats like almost 12k a yr just for a car.

Thats about 30% if your income and thats pre tax.

After federal and state taxes you probably have about 15-17k in disposable income. Now subtract 12k from that and now you have 2k-5k left for rent, gas, going out...blahblahblah. Your probably going to be eating cup'o'noodles every nite just so you can afford gas to your 26k investment thats depreciating as you eat your noodles.

I rounded kinda high on my numbers but you get the point. The EVO's an awesome car, but don't become a slave to it. Just wait till you make a little more income and you can buy a EVO X or something and it'll be better and faster then the EVO you passed on.
Old 04-29-2005
Registered!!

goodtimes is on a distinguished road
yeah think about the long run
Old 04-29-2005
Registered!!

Kizuel is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree, your Civic probably runs fine and if you get that EVO you're gonna be a slave to your car.
Old 04-29-2005
RESIDENT ROTOR HEAD

nookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of light
Yes, the payments sound a bit high to me. Especially the fact that you only make 28K a year. Take it from me, your first priority should be to buy a house. Cars depreciate, houses (for the most part, depending on your area) appreciate. Make it a point to buy and sell land, and make other investments, and in a couple of years you'll be able to buy all the EVO's you want. But for only 28,000 per year, you should live within your means.

Don't get me wrong, I love my car as much as the next guy, and it's priced similarly to the cars you're looking at. However, after a while, the "specialness" wears off and you feel the same way you did when you had your civic, and you still look for ways to make the car better. There's always going to be better cars out there, but you only live once, and why live to pay for your car?
Old 04-29-2005
Registered!!

LiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura about
DON"T BUY THE CAR.
Listen to what everyone else to telling you and save up for better future investments.

You can have a little bit of easy puzzy now or wait a little bit and have so much puzzy your unit has to work overtime.

If you do buy the car, you should avoid buying the car based on low payments, it could cost you in the end.
Old 04-29-2005
Registered!!

HorrorSkopes is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow, 486 a month aint bad. Thou, 28k a year ain't a happy ending either. Ive seen guys make alot worse than that and still have there evo w/ mods! If you feel you can make the payments, GO FOR IT. Don't forget insurance.
Old 04-29-2005
jdmtytedoridori

Al Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by nookiemonster
Yes, the payments sound a bit high to me. Especially the fact that you only make 28K a year. Take it from me, your first priority should be to buy a house. Cars depreciate, houses (for the most part, depending on your area) appreciate. Make it a point to buy and sell land, and make other investments, and in a couple of years you'll be able to buy all the EVO's you want. But for only 28,000 per year, you should live within your means.

Don't get me wrong, I love my car as much as the next guy, and it's priced similarly to the cars you're looking at. However, after a while, the "specialness" wears off and you feel the same way you did when you had your civic, and you still look for ways to make the car better. There's always going to be better cars out there, but you only live once, and why live to pay for your car?

^^what he said, exactly
Old 04-29-2005
rocking the dx w/ vtec

jayrck81 is an unknown quantity at this point
you should keep the vic, buy a house, fix it up and flip it. then you could buy whatever car you wanted with cash straight up.
Old 04-29-2005
Diamond Member

Boggie1688 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yea man...if you can't afford it don't push yourself to get it. You'll never survive financially, you be struggling...then sooner or later you'll have to give the evo away and you will lose all your money. Be happy with your civic now, then when you have money buy the evo. I suggest creating a investment account and reading up on how to invest. Not only will it help you get your evo, it will help you in your financial future.

Don't make a investment on the EVO, that is going to hurt you financially and going to depreciate in value.
Old 04-29-2005
I like ruining your threads.

NoFriends is a name known to allNoFriends is a name known to allNoFriends is a name known to allNoFriends is a name known to allNoFriends is a name known to allNoFriends is a name known to allNoFriends is a name known to allNoFriends is a name known to all
Ive been saying this a lot, but its damn true.

Go pick up a used WRX for 15-17k, drop 1k into Turbo back exhaust and ECU reflash, and you will be hanging with stock STI's and EVO's.

Your car payments will be around the same of a civic (they are for me at least), and if you can afford the difference in insurance then you should be alright.
Old 04-29-2005
Ashho-san 7thgen Ninja

Ashhole will become famous soon enoughAshhole will become famous soon enough
Evo sucks. Get an STi. Friend of mine got one brand new, 2004, for what they are gonna charge you for a used Evo.
Old 04-29-2005
Premium Member

7gencivicboi is an unknown quantity at this point
wow looks like we got alot of wise members here in this forum, its up to you to decide if you want to buy the car or not. Also think about insurance and gas cause the evo use more gas than our vic and insurance is more expensive than our vic. Everyone in this forum want to drive a better car but u need to know and live with what u have. I want to drive an wrx but it dosent look like I could finacially, it would be about six or seven years to reach my goal.
Old 04-29-2005
Diamond Member

Boggie1688 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey 7gencivicboi...I love your avatar...BOA ROCKS!!! WOOOHOO!!!! Tap that anyday...
Old 04-29-2005

HyaBoosta will become famous soon enough
insurance will own your @$$ on top of that car paymet for just as much. don;t do it.
Old 04-29-2005
Ashho-san 7thgen Ninja

Ashhole will become famous soon enoughAshhole will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by HyaBoosta
insurance will own your @$$ on top of that car paymet for just as much. don;t do it.
Yeah your insurance will be at least your car payment, with a clean record. Tickets or accidents, and your lookin at more than your car payment
Old 04-29-2005
Registered!!

exturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant future
evo,evo,evo,evo,evo,evo,evo,evo,evo
Old 04-29-2005
Registered!!

HorrorSkopes is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Ashhole
Evo sucks. Get an STi. Friend of mine got one brand new, 2004, for what they are gonna charge you for a used Evo.
^^^ , you could have not just reply.

Anyways, to maintain a evo on a monthly bases, you need to atleast make 1k a month. My friend use to work @ carl's jr and bought a BBY o3 evo (when they came out). He pulled about 1200k a month working there and he worked craaaazy hours there to maintain his evo, but he did and had ish load of mods too. Now he is an electrician. So if you could pull 1k a month... than your good to go.

Also, who ever said evo depreciate quickly... your wrong.
KBB Link
^^^ that's an o3 with 20k miles on it with 'good condition'. Evo's hold there value more than you think, you must have got it mixed up w/ the srt4
Old 04-29-2005
Registered!!

exturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant future
^^ r u crazy. my boys got a 450hpevo. brand new. started with 0 miles, now hes got 7500. hes had it since nov. hes got agressive cams, intake, upgraded iIC piping, full helix 3 inch exhuast. reflash boost controller set at 25psi on race gas. 22 on 94. hasnt been to the shop ones to get fixed. runs very good. had no one problem. so a G a month to fix what? if he got it when it first came out then thats his fault. its been out for a while now. i think things have changed.
Old 04-29-2005
Registered!!

BassKadett is a name known to allBassKadett is a name known to allBassKadett is a name known to allBassKadett is a name known to allBassKadett is a name known to allBassKadett is a name known to allBassKadett is a name known to all
Rule #1 - Never buy a car that is worth more than you make in a year.

Unless you live out of it, or with your parents, there's no way you'll be able to afford it and everything else you currently afford. I'm sure its a very tough situation because I want an EVO real bad too, but the price seems a bit high for its age and mileage. Even if they keep their value well, you can get a new one for like 2 grand more.

Good luck and make sure you think it over real hard before making any decisions. Get an insurance quote too.
Old 04-29-2005
Shinier than yours, meatbag

Hurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by HorrorSkopes.
So if you could pull 1k a month... than your good to go.
I take home 4 grand a month and I could never afford those payments, $1000 a month minus payment insurance and then gas $488+150+200= $162 dollars left over to pay rent, party, go on trips to mexico or europe, put a downpayment on a house, have nice clothes, plasma screen tv....etc. let alone get some rims for it.....
Old 04-29-2005
Registered!!

ACURAwerx is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bamb00
i'd say save your money for other future investments.
yea.. a car isn't everything. If you can't afford it it sucks to get stuck with payments.
Old 04-29-2005
Shinier than yours, meatbag

Hurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ACURAwerx
yea.. a car isn't everything. If you can't afford it it sucks to get stuck with payments.
or even worse a friend of mines best friend coudln't afford to pay for his CRV and he wound up having to give back the car, but he still had to make payments!.......how fun would it be to just be paying the "drive of the lot depreciation" and not have any car to drive
Old 04-29-2005
Registered!!

Colombian4Lyf is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
honestly its not worth it, if you only make 28k a yr.

The cost of insurance will probably be as much as your car payments. If you round to 1k thats like almost 12k a yr just for a car.

Thats about 30% if your income and thats pre tax.

After federal and state taxes you probably have about 15-17k in disposable income. Now subtract 12k from that and now you have 2k-5k left for rent, gas, going out...blahblahblah. Your probably going to be eating cup'o'noodles every nite just so you can afford gas to your 26k investment thats depreciating as you eat your noodles.

I rounded kinda high on my numbers but you get the point. The EVO's an awesome car, but don't become a slave to it. Just wait till you make a little more income and you can buy a EVO X or something and it'll be better and faster then the EVO you passed on.
Im with him. I would invest wisely, you will be happy at the begining but down the line you will be kicking your self in the Azz!!! Think about it....
Old 04-29-2005
Nothing works better than a Chris except a Honda.

CivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of light
I don't know man, those cars are notorious for not being backed up by stealerships if they are used like advertised. You better be willing to pay ala luxo car prices for stuff if any problems occur.

Like mentioned, you could end up paying a lot... if I were paying those prices, I'd probably sleep in my car.
Old 04-29-2005
I wish I was asian

cambo has a spectacular aura aboutcambo has a spectacular aura about
wow. only make 28k a year and your thinking about getting a EVO. Honestly, with that income, you SHOULD be driving a civic.

something's wrong when your income is less than the price of a new car.
Old 04-29-2005
Registered!!

R3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to all
it would be a mistake to buy it with your current income.

Quick Reply: Buy Evo tomorrow? HELP!!!!!