General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

tint windows

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
joefufu419 is an unknown quantity at this point
tint windows

i want to tint my windows, but dunno if they are legal or not. I know if you tint your rear window, its ok. But i want to know if i can tint the drive and the passeger window as well.
Old 01-06-2002
Registered!!

EvilTwin is an unknown quantity at this point
I know that in California it is illegal to have any tinting on the drivers/passengers side, but anything behind it is okay. Most likely it will be the same in Calgary? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-06-2002
Su Mo

RSXtypeIvtec is on a distinguished road
you have to check with your state laws, to see what is considered legal or not legal, every state varies...
Old 01-06-2002
Registered!!

h2k1ex is on a distinguished road
When you tint yout windows does the film go on the inside, the outside or both????[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-06-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
On the inside. The laws vary from state to state. Check out this site: Auto Window Tinting Every state allows tinting, the only thing that varies from state to state is how dark the tint can be. In MA, the legal limit is 35% for all sides of the car except the front windshield. The front windshield can only have the top 6 inches tinted to any darkness (at least that's the way I read the lawm this part isn't that clear). If you have a note from the doctor saying that you have sensitive eyes, then you can tint your car as dark as you want. If you have blue eyes, then you automatically have light sensitive eyes (people with blue eyes tend to have their pupils open wider all the time).

Oh yeah, search next time guys. I swear, all you need to do is type in the keyword "tint" and select all forums. Then read through the posts that are there and you'll have more responses than this thread will ever generate.
Old 01-06-2002
Registered!!

autobots is an unknown quantity at this point
go to links at the top of this site then go to the bottom of the page and there is a file with all states and what u can have
Old 01-06-2002
Registered!!

LexBoy is an unknown quantity at this point
they will never know if you have your windows down

but.............

dont drive your car when is raining
Old 01-06-2002
www.ImportFactor.Com

WhosYoDadday85 should not be trustedWhosYoDadday85 should not be trusted
Hey Grey..thanks for the tip dude! I wear contacts, and my eyes are fairly sensitive and sometimes even sunglasses. Maybe I can get a note from the doctor so I can legally have tint all around my car in California? I mean I don't want nothing outragous maybe 20-30% tint but I also don't want to get pulled over. It seems that every fixed out car here in Cali. has tint around the whole car, but if you live in a small city, they seem to be "biatchy" about things like that (I live in a small city).

What am I tellin the doctor? Sometimes I have hard times seeing while I drive due to the sun? Everything goes too bright, and I can't see clearly...stuff like that? Should I straight up ask him about a note so I can have tint all around on my car? I think the doc would be cool with that..one way to find out![IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG]

EDIT: I love it when cops pull you over, and you know what it's about..and before he even talks, you just shove the note in his face, and tell him to f**k off. Like for clear corners, I got pulled over once, and the cop was like "You need to have yellow turn signals up front sir." I was like "AWWW HELL NAW! Don't make me pull a Jackie Chan on yo azz" Anyways, I just went to my trunk, and pulled out the vehicle code book, and showed him where I had the page makred for clear corners, and the article that states you can have "Amber OR White" turn signals[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG] and he gracefully walked away haha![IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-06-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
WhosYoDadday85: Sweet dude, I love that story! Yeah, I'de straight up ask your doctor just like you said. I'm sure he'll give you a note to show the po po's if they ever bug you.
Old 01-06-2002
Registered!!

djlunatic is an unknown quantity at this point
in illinois its the same as california no tint in the front sides , but the back sides and the rear can be sprapanted black for that matter. what you can do to get away with tinted windows is take a picture of your car bearing the clear window first. if and when you get a ticket, go to the court date and show the judge the picture of the cleat windows in the front and make sure your plate is in the picture also. you'll walk out a freeman. i did it four times in two different counties. this should by you the time until you can get a doctor's aproval. "highly sensitive retina condition to pass as we sppek[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-13-2002
Registered!!

windowtint is an unknown quantity at this point
uhhhhhh......guys? tint in CA. IS LEGAL ON THE FRONT DOORS!

70% light transmission.. It aint much, but it's tint and it's legal.
Old 03-14-2002
Registered!!

QCKSILVR is an unknown quantity at this point

New York's limit is 30%. That is, there must be a light transmittance of 70%. I do not enforce window tinting at work, but the officers that do always let 35% tints slide. These regulations apply to the driver and passenger side windows, while the rear windows do not have any requirements. Certain states, such as Pennsylvania prohibit tinting, however, a New Yorker operating a car with New York registration would be exempt from this law while driving in Pennsylvania....

So it varies by state...
Old 03-14-2002
Registered!!

CivNoir is an unknown quantity at this point
you can also ask around in your area. i got 17% on both sides and rear, which is illegal here. i asked the shop and around here they apparently dont harass you about it. i've been pulled over 3 times since i've had the tint and never had a problem. i do always make sure my window is down before the cop gets up to my car. i love the look. i dont regret it one bit. so a lot of it depends on where you live i guess some places really clamp down on that kind of stuff.