General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Big problem after window tint

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Big problem after window tint

I just got windows tinted, rolled down the windows tonight (48 hrs later) and the front ones roll down at 1/4 the speed. The rears hardly roll at all and took me a minute to go back up. Those rubber things are getting stuck on the tint. Is it normal cause it sounded like the motor was breaking. I wouldn't have gotten tint if I can't use the windows anymore.... any help?
Old 03-20-2005
ThE CoRRupToR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nice
hmmm.......that happened to me before. Just use like a pick tool and pick the rubber back up.
Old 03-20-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
I did, but it's still going really slow, and the rubber gets pulled under again sometimes. It's not working.
Old 03-20-2005
I like you! do you like me?

Farage is on a distinguished road
well you are supposed to wait at least 4-5 days until rolling the windows down.
Old 03-20-2005
ThE CoRRupToR

dru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nice
hmmmmm...... spay some 10wd40 on the rubber piece??
Old 03-20-2005
Registered!!

PennyKnotOff is just really nicePennyKnotOff is just really nicePennyKnotOff is just really nicePennyKnotOff is just really nicePennyKnotOff is just really nice
i would think 10wd40 would take the tint off or cause bubbles. just take it back to the shop and tell them to fix it.
Old 03-20-2005
Premium Member

dru that's a terrible idea man! You're only supposed to use water on tint, and then I'm gonna have oil streaks all over. I don't know, the tint guy said wait 48 hours and that's on the long end. He said usually a day and it's fine. The tint isn't peeling, it's getting stuck on the rubber pieces.
Old 03-20-2005
I like you! do you like me?

Farage is on a distinguished road
my advice is let it rest a few more days and then try again.
Old 03-20-2005
Registered!!

civic21 is an unknown quantity at this point
take it back to them and ask what to do?
Old 03-20-2005
ThE CoRRupToR

ahhaha!! Dam just trying to help i didnt know
Old 03-20-2005

ncirom2003 will become famous soon enough
what about silicone spray?
Old 03-20-2005
Registered!!

BigGeorge is an unknown quantity at this point
When I got my windows done they never flipped back the rubber and I had the same problem. Take it back and have them flip the rubber pieces back up, = problem solved.
Old 03-20-2005
Premium Member

Thank you. I just got back and the front windows I had to use a pen to flip a hidden rubber under the top one. For the back, I had to remove both door panels to get it out. I also cleaner the window film with water and it's smoother. One of the rear windows is still having trouble rolling up, but I have a feeling that's from the accident. Thanks everyone!
Old 03-20-2005

so what happens to tint if you use conventional all purpose window cleaner foaming spray or whatnot?
Old 03-20-2005
Registered!!

Da1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura aboutDa1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura about
Gearbox, i dont know man. tinted windows are cool and stuff, but we live in IL and i just got busted for tints and have to go to court but anyways, when i got my windows tinted, the guy told me to use pledge to clean the windows and it actually works well. just wipe the excess off with a cloth or it'll streak.
Old 03-20-2005
Premium Member

um there are special sprays that are ammonia free that are supposed to be safe, but water you're guaranteed not to ruin it. Those cleaners can cause the film to be ruined with bubbles or fading. And water got em very clean anyway.
Old 03-20-2005
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Da1lyDr1ver
Gearbox, i dont know man. tinted windows are cool and stuff, but we live in IL and i just got busted for tints and have to go to court but anyways, when i got my windows tinted, the guy told me to use pledge to clean the windows and it actually works well. just wipe the excess off with a cloth or it'll streak.
Oh man that sucks dude. Cops just came by when I was fixing the rubber, then they saw my nevada plates and said carry on
Old 03-20-2005

dam sucks about your laws. my jeep i had b4 my vic had the cheap purple do it yourself tint on some of the windows lol. anyways it had stuff coming off of it that was light and sparkly like glitter or something whats that?
Old 03-20-2005
Premium Member

shmik1 has disabled reputation
Originally Posted by gearbox
Oh man that sucks dude. Cops just came by when I was fixing the rubber, then they saw my nevada plates and said carry on
said carry on? they were gonna write u a ticket if u didnt have out of state plates?
Old 03-20-2005
Nothing works better than a Chris except a Honda.

CivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of light
^^ If he's not from around there, he wouldn't have to obey local laws because they differ from state to state. So, yeah, basically.
Old 03-20-2005
Premium Member

Yeah dude he pulled up while I was fixing the rubbers (real cop car), and I told him I was fixing the tint. He said oh you're not supposed to tint the front ones, and he pulled out a pad. I was thinking crap...then he looks at the plates and says oh nevada hey more power to you or something and I say bye.
Old 03-20-2005

cops there must be strict d!cks if they stop and question you just cus youre doin a lil somthing with your door panel.
Old 03-20-2005
Registered!!

Kizuel is an unknown quantity at this point
48 hours is pretty short, when I got mine tinted the guy told me at least 72 hours but it can take up to a week for it to fully dry.
Old 03-20-2005
Registered!!

CivicStudEx is an unknown quantity at this point
damn....my tint guy told me to wait 5-7 days before rolling down the windows and he had to do it first, otherwise my lifetime guarantee would be no good. But my tint is bubble free and works perfect with the power windows
Old 03-20-2005
Registered!!

PennyKnotOff is just really nicePennyKnotOff is just really nicePennyKnotOff is just really nicePennyKnotOff is just really nicePennyKnotOff is just really nice
Yeah i was told to leave it for about 4-5 days, maybe 3 if i parked in the sun a lot
Old 03-20-2005
Proud to be a civic owner

es2k2 is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah when i did my tint, the guy told me 5 days...
but i see glare at night in the rear winshield... anyone has that problem?

i also got a ticket for tinting this morning too.. it sucks
anyone know what will happen if i pull over again for the tint and they find out i don't fix it from the first ticket??
Old 03-20-2005
Registered!!

CivicStudEx is an unknown quantity at this point
here in jersey, i think they'll be plenty happy if I keep paying the 50 dollar ticket. But thats fine by me, cause it would've cost me 65 to redo the front windows. its not a moving violation, so i don't think they'll do anything except keep fining you.
Old 03-20-2005
Registered!!

damn $50. anybody know what the cost is in cali?
Old 03-20-2005
Premium Member

ya well mine is fine I got it done friday morning and rolled em down tonight (sunday). I mean they look dry and didn't move even with the rubbers squeezing it. They don't really need alot of time just enough for the liquid to evaporate. Prolly one day in the hot sun would do it. As for the back, yeah I have glare too because of the defroster lines. I'm afraid to use the defogger now tho cause I've heard it heats up the tint and makes it bubble.
Old 03-20-2005
The Wierdest and Funniest Mofo 7th Gen Has Ever Seen As Voted

_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of
yo gear you have to lube all of the rubber mouldings around the windows..with silicone spray...lube the rubber that the window sits in it should help a ton...

What is happening is that they used alot of soapy water and it gums everything up after..Use silicone spray in the track...

PM me if you need details

Quick Reply: Big problem after window tint