General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

$30,000 Cash *Update!*

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xDCx will become famous soon enoughxDCx will become famous soon enough
Supra
Old 02-17-2005
The Woman Who Gave Birth to Rabbits. As seen on TV by QBoi.

Kadenx is a jewel in the roughKadenx is a jewel in the roughKadenx is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by CivicRidaz1
oh btw, maybe i will book a vacation to Vegas.
I'll make sure to bring my friends eclipse we
put together for under $7k.
I'll show what "ill" education and mechanical skills
can do for that price
Yeah, thats not tooting your own friggen horn! But, congratulations on doing well in school and making something of yourself! I And just to clear things up...I graduated with 3.98 magna *** laude

so sorry man im gettin paid to go to engineering school because i worked hard and performed well throughout high school, not because im some disabled vet.
Just remeber that without "some disabled vet" and the distinguished service men and women, you wouldnt have the freedom to go to engineering school because you worked hard and performed well throughout high school.

Something to think about.
Old 02-17-2005
RESIDENT ROTOR HEAD

nookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of light
btw nookiemonster, u have some good points on the rx-8, i looked some info/specs up on it and i respect the car much more than before. based on the time when i drove my friends rx-8, it did not perform to my expectations thats all.
No big deal...some people just aren't familiar wit the way a rotary behaves. BTW don't diss disabled vets. I graduated 3rd in my graduating class and received a full scholarship to UNLV. So I know what it's like to work hard in school, however, I also know what combat is like. I'm a decorated Marine combat vet, and I'll tell you right now, that what they go through to get that title is much harder than graduating from ANY school.
Old 02-17-2005

Kadenx is a jewel in the roughKadenx is a jewel in the roughKadenx is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by nookiemonster
No big deal...some people just aren't familiar wit the way a rotary behaves. BTW don't diss disabled vets. I graduated 3rd in my graduating class and received a full scholarship to UNLV. So I know what it's like to work hard in school, however, I also know what combat is like. I'm a decorated Marine combat vet, and I'll tell you right now, that what they go through to get that title is much harder than graduating from ANY school.
+1 ....
Old 02-17-2005
Registered!!

ok i understand, im not downing disable vets its jus its different matter from receiving financial aid from that and academic. my uncle was in vietnam and so was my father. i kinda said "some disabled vets" out of ignorance and anger. hope u all understand where im comin from and what my argument was in the first place.
Old 02-17-2005

Its cool, your post just sounded like you being a bit arrogant. Its all good. I shouldnt stepped in tho. My bad
Old 02-17-2005
My penis is just like all my posts, very very short
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

zachgeyer has a spectacular aura aboutzachgeyer has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ThroughMyEyes9
Mitsu Evolution All The Way!
my thoughts
Old 02-17-2005
Registered!!

fearedfxmichael has a little shameless behaviour in the past
srt-4, r32, type S,
Old 02-17-2005
Registered!!

Danman114 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by fearedfxmichael
srt-4, r32, type S,
All the new VW R32s are sold out. I want one so bad, but I don't got 30 G's to blow.
Old 02-17-2005
nor cal 7thgens

allmotor can only hope to improve
imo i would get a 92 cx hatch (even though he wants a new car) drop a fully built b18c5 mtr then slap on a full-race turbo kit tuned etc. I am sure you can do that with less than 20 and your friend wouldnt be disapointed lol
Old 02-17-2005
Registered!!

PennyKnotOff is just really nicePennyKnotOff is just really nicePennyKnotOff is just really nicePennyKnotOff is just really nicePennyKnotOff is just really nice
Exclamation Update!

Alright here's what it comes down to...
The top three choices so far:

Acura RSX Type-S
Mazda RX-8
WRX STI

Now here's the situation;

RSX Type-S: $23,000

The price is good and still leaves alot of money left over for mods plus it's a really nice car. Has great potential.

Mazda RX-8: $24,000

Nice car, fast for a 1.3 but i've heard bad things about the engine. Also leaves money for mods.

WRX STI: $33,000

Very nice car but goes over limit and according to dealer will have a high insurance rate. But fast as hell.

Now the STI is great but goes over limit and insurance is gonna be expensive. The RSX is nice doesn't go over and leaves money for mods. The RX-8 is nice leaves money for mods but not sure about the whole rotor engine thing. So what do you guys think keeping all this in mind? I personally am leaning towards the RSX cause w/ the left over money many things can be done .
Old 02-17-2005
Registered!!

hustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the rough
for 30gs i would go with a new acura CL type s
Old 02-17-2005
RESIDENT ROTOR HEAD

nookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of light
Okay, the rotary has gotten a bad rap recently because of the finicky rat nest setup on the 13B-REW. It had cooling and apex seal issues. Fast as hell, but not very reliable. Sadly, the issues were addressed in 99 which was after it left our shores.

The Renesis makes nearly as much horsepower as the old FD (238 vs 255) without twin turbos. Mazda has eliminated blowby with the relocation of exhaust ports from the side to the peripheral of the rotor housing. NA rotaries have lasted over 200,000 miles without a rebuild, FI usually need a rebuild every 75,000. The rotary also has only 3 moving parts. No valve train, no belts, no cam. 2 rotors, and an eccentric shaft. Very low maintenance. Just understand that by design, the rotors need to be lubed, and oil is actually injected into the combustion chamber. So you burn about a quart every 3000 miles. Big deal...oil is at most, 5 bucks a gallon.

Don't forget, Mazda originally listed them as having 248 hp. Dropped due to EPA wanting extended cat life. For 400 bucks, you can buy a canzoomer ECU upgrade, that puts the car back to spec, and can even exceed it with proper tuning. Some have seen some pretty amazing results with tuning.

Gas mileage is not so great though...you gotta pay to play. I average about 18 in the city and 22 on the highway...but I do drive pretty spiritedly.

They are by no means BAD engines. Just very very misunderstood. Don't forget, it's one of the only engines built entirely by hand.

Watch this:
mms://sswmt1.smartstream.ne.jp/mazda/rx-8/rotary_500k.wmv
copy and paste into your browser.

They are great cars, but they're not for everyone. BTW that 24,000 price point is for the base model auto. Only 198 hp. If you want the good stuff, (I got the 6 speed 238 hp with sport package), expect to pay at least 27 grand. I recommend getting at least the sports package mainly for HID, DCS, TCS, Carbon Fiber driveshaft, sport tuned suspension, 18's, and LSD. Touring adds bose and a sunroof...not good if you like to autocross though, brings the roofline too low. GT adds heated leather. Nav is a seperate 2000 dollar option...

If you want money left for mods, look for a good used 6 spd with all the options you want.

Last edited by nookiemonster; 02-17-2005 at 10:35 PM.
Old 02-17-2005
Registered!!

PennyKnotOff is just really nicePennyKnotOff is just really nicePennyKnotOff is just really nicePennyKnotOff is just really nicePennyKnotOff is just really nice
All the cars i've listed are 6-speeds and all the prices and what the dealers are sticking w/ so really no room to negotiate........
Old 02-17-2005
RESIDENT ROTOR HEAD

http://www.rx8club.com/showthread.php?t=52232

That looks promising. Greddy's kit on 5 psi with a small turbo makes exceptional gains. 250-260 whp on 5 psi.

These are just the first two kits to come out. Just wait until Blitz and Mazdaspeed release their superchargers. Expect big things.
Old 02-17-2005
Registered!!

ciVictoria will become famous soon enoughciVictoria will become famous soon enough
STi, Evo, Supra or an RX-7 ;]
Old 02-17-2005
RESIDENT ROTOR HEAD

Originally Posted by PennyKnotOff
All the cars i've listed are 6-speeds and all the prices and what the dealers are sticking w/ so really no room to negotiate........
Wow if you can pick up a 6 speed RX-8 for 24 grand, you're probably looking at a base without the sports package, but regardless, that's an awesome deal.
Old 02-17-2005
Registered!!

INCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
rx-8 = slow
miata = girlie

INCivic owned me...
now how do i throw some points the man's way

Old 02-18-2005
Registered!!

ACURAwerx is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by PennyKnotOff
Alright here's what it comes down to...
The top three choices so far:

Acura RSX Type-S
Mazda RX-8
WRX STI

Now here's the situation;

RSX Type-S: $23,000

The price is good and still leaves alot of money left over for mods plus it's a really nice car. Has great potential.

Mazda RX-8: $24,000

Nice car, fast for a 1.3 but i've heard bad things about the engine. Also leaves money for mods.

WRX STI: $33,000

Very nice car but goes over limit and according to dealer will have a high insurance rate. But fast as hell.

Now the STI is great but goes over limit and insurance is gonna be expensive. The RSX is nice doesn't go over and leaves money for mods. The RX-8 is nice leaves money for mods but not sure about the whole rotor engine thing. So what do you guys think keeping all this in mind? I personally am leaning towards the RSX cause w/ the left over money many things can be done .

my friend was going to buy a STI, hes 21, and he got the insurance rates from his insurance.. he got rates on the cobra, sti, and s2000. He has to own a HX civic coupe.. the cobra would increase it $2000 a year, and the sti and s2000 were $1000 extra a year. I've heard a lot of people (Even the dealership) say the s2000 would sky rocket his insurance, but its not THAT bad actually. Go with the STI ... ull have a fast car with a warranty, if he gets a type S or something he'll probably want to turbo, and that might cause problems and will void the warranty! plus the STI will handle better and be faster then the type S! It depends what he wants though...
Old 02-18-2005
Registered!!

2k1civic01 is just really nice2k1civic01 is just really nice2k1civic01 is just really nice2k1civic01 is just really nice
[QUOTE=CivicRidaz1]a honda integra type r, i believe they have backseats, and u can take the type r badges off and imitate an rsx...Sleeper!

PUAHAHAHAHAHAHA.......noob...they don't sell the type r here in the US dooode...LOL....and with $30gs i'll get my *** a TT Supra 6 speed...
Old 02-18-2005
Registered!!

dre2600 is an unknown quantity at this point
[QUOTE=2k1civic01]
a honda integra type r, i believe they have backseats, and u can take the type r badges off and imitate an rsx...Sleeper!

PUAHAHAHAHAHAHA.......noob...they don't sell the type r here in the US dooode...LOL....and with $30gs i'll get my *** a TT Supra 6 speed...
Um....you have 18 posts, whos the noob here?

I think he meant to import a Type R from overseas, they're a few RHD ITRs over here too, but they don't exactly sell those on US shores now do they?
Old 02-18-2005
Registered!!

sweeteli99 will become famous soon enoughsweeteli99 will become famous soon enough
i pick rx8 cuz they sexy
Old 02-18-2005
Registered!!

wonderz is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ACURAwerx
my friend was going to buy a STI, hes 21, and he got the insurance rates from his insurance.. he got rates on the cobra, sti, and s2000. He has to own a HX civic coupe.. the cobra would increase it $2000 a year, and the sti and s2000 were $1000 extra a year. I've heard a lot of people (Even the dealership) say the s2000 would sky rocket his insurance, but its not THAT bad actually. Go with the STI ... ull have a fast car with a warranty, if he gets a type S or something he'll probably want to turbo, and that might cause problems and will void the warranty! plus the STI will handle better and be faster then the type S! It depends what he wants though...
i think the insurance rate the RSX is not that cheap either. Also I am not sure about a STI outhandling a RSX 'cause i heard it understeers a lot at least compare to an EVO. the RX8 would be the best handling car out of your choices. I would go with the RX8, but i am worry about the reliability issue too since it would be super expensive to repair if it breaks down. Maybe just go with a used RSX and get a Greddy Turbo for it. That's probably what i would do.

If i can pick my own, i would most likely go with a IS300 since the reliability on that car is awesome and has potential for modding.
Old 02-18-2005
Registered!!

[QUOTE=2k1civic01]
a honda integra type r, i believe they have backseats, and u can take the type r badges off and imitate an rsx...Sleeper!

your face is a noob

PUAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 02-18-2005
Registered!!

TurboDieselDrew is an unknown quantity at this point
Here would be my lists

Used:
Audi S4
Mercedes-Benz C43 AMG (if you dont mind something older.. only made between 1998 and 2000 in very limited numbers)
BMW 540i
BMW M3
2003 Cobra
TT Supra

New:
WRX STi
EVO
Pontiac GTO

I own a 1999 C43 AMG and I must say it is one hell of a car. It has a nicely underrated 302hp that just rips on the mid-high revs. Feels quite a bit faster from a roll than my LT1 Camaro Z28 did when it was modded. It has done great in snow, its super comfortable, and gets pretty good fuel mileage. Having 4 doors is pretty nice for me after owning so many 2 door vehicles.

Last edited by TurboDieselDrew; 02-18-2005 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-18-2005
Registered!!

1320Racing is an unknown quantity at this point
My list
S2000
STI
Supra
RX-7
IS 300 (2jz BOOOOOSTED)Sleeper supra that looks just as SICK
350Z
Good luck with your pick
Old 02-19-2005
jdmtytedoridori
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Al Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by dre2600
Um....you have 18 posts, whos the noob here?

I think he meant to import a Type R from overseas, they're a few RHD ITRs over here too, but they don't exactly sell those on US shores now do they?
pwn3d
Old 02-19-2005
Riceburners Bitch

blkdak99rt is an unknown quantity at this point
if it was me i would be looking for a used porsche but thats just because i love the luxury super sport car
Old 02-20-2005
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all
sasfd

Last edited by TemjinX2; 02-20-2005 at 10:48 PM.
Old 02-20-2005
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all
i would say overall if you count looks, interior, performance: A IS300 with all the supra swaps is the best bet.

If your going for straight performance i think the EVO is the best. There a few articles comparing the sti and the evo in track tests and the EVO has come out on top on most of them. I think the evo understeers less on track then the sti thats why it has a slighty better track time.

Insurance for those cars are probably going to be the same. If you search the forums most people who upgrade from civic to a rsx only paid $20 more a month in insurance. I know AAA insurance considers all 2dr cars as sports cars so i'm paying a grip just to drive my 2dr civic. It also depends on your age, record and etc. Being a Male, in his early 20's, i'm getting screwed in up the **** in insurance.

if your going straight luxury, 3 series Bimmer is the best way to go, but would get owned by any EVO or STi.

Quick Reply: $30,000 Cash *Update!*