General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

why it is good to redline/push your car every so often

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
ya well I do too. May want to get a tranny cooler if you do alot of that kind of driving.
Old 04-18-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
exturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by PICHY2G
http://funnyjunk.com/pages/insanity_test.htm

here is ur redline..................

hahahahahahahahhaa

lmfao...hahahahhah.. that its too funny.
Old 04-18-2005
Registered!!

skratch_munkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by gearbox
ya well I do too. May want to get a tranny cooler if you do alot of that kind of driving.

how much do those run for?
Old 04-19-2005
Registered!!

benya7thmix is an unknown quantity at this point
if you develop carbon deposits if you don't burn them out every once in a while, then why don't more auto-trans have this problem? i don't think redlining is as common in automatics.
Old 04-19-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
oh yes it is, for me anyways Just change your fluid every 15k and get a cooler. I paid $50 for mine and installed myself. Very simple, cause remember heat kills 95% of transmissions that fail.

And fyi, I had alot of carbon buildup in my auto after 20k miles, especially on the pistons. I drove normally mostly, not really going above 4k very often. I open it up more now.
Old 04-19-2005
Balut Eating Champ

pnoyster2k1cvic is on a distinguished road
you guys are killing me AutoX ones a month and some of that greased lightning would clean some of that carbon off
Old 04-19-2005
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by pnoyster2k1cvic
you guys are killing me AutoX ones a month and some of that greased lightning would clean some of that carbon off

Ya gotta start autocrossing first....
Old 04-19-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
This is much more common in old cars (i.e. carburated cars) and high displacment engines. Not that it doesn't happen in Honda's, but Honda's just run way leaner than most, so this sin't really a problem.
Old 04-19-2005
Registered!!

aznsensation18 is just really niceaznsensation18 is just really niceaznsensation18 is just really niceaznsensation18 is just really niceaznsensation18 is just really nice
hahaha.....this is hilarious....there are gonna b a bunch of 7thgens in shops or junkyards.....just keep in mind.....D17=slow...hahah ur still not going to beat that WRX or EVO that you always wanted to
Old 04-19-2005

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by aznsensation18
hahaha.....this is hilarious....there are gonna b a bunch of 7thgens in shops or junkyards.....just keep in mind.....D17=slow...hahah ur still not going to beat that WRX or EVO that you always wanted to

More spare parts
Old 04-26-2005
Registered!!

Keet will become famous soon enough
remember when they used to have leaded fuel? ...I don't... but that's probably the era this sort of " redline eliminates carbon buildup" advice comes from I'll bet.
Old 04-27-2005

Originally Posted by Keet
remember when they used to have leaded fuel? ...I don't... but that's probably the era this sort of " redline eliminates carbon buildup" advice comes from I'll bet.
I had a car that needed leaded fuel...

But yes, older car tend to make more carbon, but todays car make carbon too, just not as much, hence it is not needed to "burn the carbon" out as often.
Old 06-19-2005
Registered!!

Paul_BB_Guy is an unknown quantity at this point
s2000man01 - Please understand that I'm not saying this to be confrontational but to keep people from damaging their engines and coming back to you. I think it's irresponsible to suggest to everyone here that redlining on a regular basis is good for the engine. For a very high revving engine like in an S2000, I think it's clear that running low RPM's will eventually build up carbon or whatever but D17's redline at around 6800 (at least my tach says so) so carbon buildup may not be as evident in lower RPM engines.

While I agree that occaisionally giving the engine a good rev now and then is good for it, I don't agree that it's something you should do all the time.

On the subject of shift points, the amount of load placed on an engine in 1st gear is not the same as the amount of load placed on an engine in 3rd or 4th. Basing shiftpoints would be best determined using torque/power curves rather than on strict gear ratio vs. a single torque/power curve.

Torque/power curves are not indentical irrespective of gear. Engines behave differently under different loads.

Last edited by Paul_BB_Guy; 06-19-2005 at 02:31 AM.
Old 06-19-2005

AzNTiG3R is an unknown quantity at this point
Honda's originally made motorcycles didn't they? So essentially, redlining shouldn't be a problem, even for non-VTEC engines so as long as u don't do it on a constant basis rite? I mean, Honda's can take it way better than Ford's anyway.
Old 06-19-2005
Why is my vagina bleeding?

nindoo has a spectacular aura aboutnindoo has a spectacular aura about
Any additives you guys use?

I was thiking of putting fuel injector cleaner next time I fill up. I got about 22k miles.
Old 06-19-2005
Premium Member

fp60 from lubecontrol.com is the only additive I would use now.
Old 06-19-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
flotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to behold
Its common practice to "blow out" your carbon deposits especially for those who deal with alot of traffic(idling) or short trips(like to the store, dropping off kids, etc). Idling and short trips where the engine, intake/exhaust systems never get up to full operating temp or build up enough heat to clear out any condensation in the exhaust is really bad over time. Its good to every once in awhile to get it warmed up to operating temp and take it on the highway and run it hard for a few passes. For instance my wife's minivan is primarily used for a grocery getter/school bus and rarely see's any highway time during the week. I make it a point to take it on the highway on the weekend and punch it a few times to clear out the build up. You dont have to redline it, but take give it a good romping so it drops into passing gear and hold it for few seconds. For my 5-speed EX, once a week during my commute I run it up to a high rpm in either 4th or 5th gear after everything is stabilized.
Old 06-19-2005
O RLY

S2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Paul_BB_Guy
s2000man01 - Please understand that I'm not saying this to be confrontational but to keep people from damaging their engines and coming back to you. I think it's irresponsible to suggest to everyone here that redlining on a regular basis is good for the engine. For a very high revving engine like in an S2000, I think it's clear that running low RPM's will eventually build up carbon or whatever but D17's redline at around 6800 (at least my tach says so) so carbon buildup may not be as evident in lower RPM engines.

While I agree that occaisionally giving the engine a good rev now and then is good for it, I don't agree that it's something you should do all the time.

On the subject of shift points, the amount of load placed on an engine in 1st gear is not the same as the amount of load placed on an engine in 3rd or 4th. Basing shiftpoints would be best determined using torque/power curves rather than on strict gear ratio vs. a single torque/power curve.

Torque/power curves are not indentical irrespective of gear. Engines behave differently under different loads.
I think you are misinterpreting my posts.

As I already said, the shift points were calculated for MAXIMUM ACCELERATION. IE, racing, drag strip, etc. Obviously you don't redline every damn time you drive the car. lol

Secondly, yes carbon buildup occurs on ANY engine. A healthy dose of some spirited acceleration CAN help knock loose some of the carbon deposits, which you'd then see burned out the exhaust in a puff of black smoke.

And even if it DOESNT knock the carbon loose or out, it's not hurting anything anyways. There is nothing wrong with accelerating briskly or even all out every once in a while.

this is not research I've done myself, but merely passing on words from those who knows more about honda engines than probably all of us combined.
Old 06-19-2005
Banned

bgoetz is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by nindoo
Any additives you guys use?

I was thiking of putting fuel injector cleaner next time I fill up. I got about 22k miles.
use Seafoam that will clean out carbon deposits. Don't do it though if your neighbors are the type that would call the fire dept. if there is ALOT of smoke LOL.
Old 06-19-2005
Registered!!

joelwastaken is an unknown quantity at this point
i like how people dont realize the redline is there because that is the brinking point of doing damage to your engine, and they dont realize hitting it isnt bad. I mean if it was bad for the engine, dont you think the car manufacturer would make the redline lower so not to damage the engine?
Old 06-19-2005
Registered!!

Mike04Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
i dont have a tach,..but im sure if i did i would redline every so often,..atleast 3-4 times a week
Old 06-19-2005
Registered!!

White05EXSE is an unknown quantity at this point
So you're telling me that driving my car fast is not going to "rag it out" any quicker??? yes or no?

it's an auto, so i can't redline.
Old 06-20-2005
O RLY

S2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to behold
if you beat the snot out of it all the time, yeah that's going to do more wear and tear than babying it. that goes for any car, any engine, any manufacturer.

but that doesn't mean you can drive a little spiritedly and have a little fun now and then.
Old 06-21-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by White05EXSE
it's an auto, so i can't redline.
Yes ofcourse, that's absolutely impossible. The automatic transmission simply won't let you even come close to redline, ever, under any condition and without exceptions.
It would take an absolute mechanical miracle for that to occur.
Now where on Earth is my sarcasm smiley?
Old 06-21-2005
Premium Member

rofl, i've been to redline a few times in my auto, and I was not even flooring it. Seems like it would've kept going too if I didn't let off. By redline I assume you mean the red part on the cluster
Old 06-21-2005
OMNES AD UNUM

jttegx has a spectacular aura aboutjttegx has a spectacular aura about
the automatics can hit redline, but rarely. once it hits that 6900rpm mark, it shifts itself. i doubt it'll never go past 6900rpm unless you have it modded to.
Old 06-22-2005
Banned

bgoetz is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by joelwastaken
i like how people dont realize the redline is there because that is the brinking point of doing damage to your engine, and they dont realize hitting it isnt bad. I mean if it was bad for the engine, dont you think the car manufacturer would make the redline lower so not to damage the engine?
it is the same philosophy as the two asprin dose. Most people can take 20 before they are in danger of dying, but a few who drink, smoke, and are just old will be in danger after 3 or 4. Alot of people run their cars to super high rpms daily (**cough cough** me) and will never have a problem, but some who use shitty oil, have old *** cars and don't take good care maintanance wise will blow thier engines at 7k rpms. And that is why civics have a rev limiter at 6,900 rpms so even jackasses who don't know d!ck about cars can have fun.
Old 06-28-2005
Registered!!

Talking vrooooom

Originally Posted by jttegx
the automatics can hit redline, but rarely. once it hits that 6900rpm mark, it shifts itself. i doubt it'll never go past 6900rpm unless you have it modded to.
...or if you put in in Neutral. Am I the only idiot that does this? Is this not "true redline" unless the drive is engaged? I mean the engine is still whirring away like crazy, even if it's not pushing torque.

Okay, i hardly ever do this, but I'll admit once or twice... I heard somewhere it's good for the engine
Old 06-29-2005
O RLY

revving the engine way up to redline while the car is in neutral is bad for the engine since there is no load.
Old 06-29-2005
Premium Member

revving in neutral is very bad for the engine.

Quick Reply: why it is good to redline/push your car every so often