General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Adding an S2K to the stable...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005
RESIDENT ROTOR HEAD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of light
Adding an S2K to the stable...

This is probably more a question for S2000man but...

Okay so my g/f is getting ready to graduate from college in May. She's getting a pretty high paying job in the medical field, and as a gift her father is paying for half of whatever car she wants to get (within reason.) They're a pretty well off kinda family I guess you could say, and she deserves it since she's been driving the same old Honda Accord (1992) since she was in Highschool.

Anyways, when she grads, we're gonna get a house. So this car will be at my disposal at all times.

She's talking about an S2K. However, she wants brand new, but I want the 02-03 model. I don't like the idea of the stroked 2.2 and it's lower redline, and overlooked gearing. I liked the high strung motor that it was before. I haven't driven the '05, but has anyone driven both? From what I understand it's a more civilized engine. Meaning, an engine more friendly to the masses I'd assume.

Is the '05 really that bad in comparison? If she buys new? If not, how can I convince her to buy a used car????

Are there any years and quirks that I should watch out for? What should I test for when looking at these cars. In my experience with my civics, Hondas are very bulletproof, so I'd assume the same with these cars. What kind of maintenance schedule should I expect as well?

Last edited by nookiemonster; 01-23-2005 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-23-2005
O RLY
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

S2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to behold
maintenance schedule is the same as a civic.

as for reasons you could give her for getting a used one over new, it'd save her and her parents maybe 10 grand. I'd get an 03 if you can. 04-05 is the newer lower redline. I've driven the car and i don't like it anywhere near as much.

I love my 9k redline, and i love not having to shift to 3rd just to do a 0-60 sprint. you get a little more torque down low, but the 00-03 models have plenty of torque down low for daily driving. it's a misconception that the car has no power before 6000rpm. the reason for this is simple. above 6000rpm it has a staggering amount of power and pulls like no 4 cylinder should. that in contrast to the more 'civil' power below 6000rpm makes the car feel weak. when it really isn't.

don't get anything less than an 02. you should be able to get an 03 for around 22k. that's 10 grand off the price of a brand new one, and chances are you can find one with low miles and honda certified which would extend the factory warranty to 48k, and the powertrain warranty to 100k.

also, the new 04-05, honda went soft on the suspension. IMO, the car does NOT handle as good as the previous 00-03 models. i think auto-x has kinda proven this too, but zzyzx could affirm that i'd think.

FWIW, tell her that getting a new one could be a bad idea since it's somewhat a change in the model line up, and there could be bugs/issues not yet worked out since this variation of the S2k is so new. this isn't true, but it makes sense if you tell her that the way i explained it. lol
Old 01-23-2005
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
Man, nookie, you have gone through more cars....You get new cars like you get new boxers
Old 01-23-2005
RESIDENT ROTOR HEAD

nookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of light
Hahaha, well this is her car, not mine, but I certainly plan on taking it while she's asleep.

Thanks for the info S2kman...I'm gonna point all of this out to her. She wants to get into autocrossing too which is kinda cool. The thing that bugs me though, is she chose the car because it's "pretty." She thinks the newer S2k's are prettier than the old ones...go figure.

I'll try and convince her to get an 03. Hopefully we can find one with low miles...

This purchase wouldn't be until May anyways, but I want to have all of the research done. I like the idea of an S2K in my garage, but I'm afraid she might go with that god awful Z....she's talked about that one too.

Last edited by nookiemonster; 01-23-2005 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-23-2005
O RLY

S2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to behold
she'd probably hate the 350Z for auto x. not that it's bad, but to me it corners like a fat kid chasing a cupcake. of course i'm spoiled by the go-kart type flinging i can do with my S2k in the corners.

if she wants to get into auto x her best car is an 02-03 S2k. the 04-05 went soft on the suspension, and the Z (as great a car as it is) simply can't compare to the tossability of the S2k. plus the S2k is faster straightline than it's Z counter-part.
Old 01-23-2005
Nothing works better than a Chris except a Honda.

CivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of light
I like the 2.2 L engines. They're more "driveable" as people put it. But yeah, if it were for racing the older models seem to be more hard core. Theres also that supercharger kit available... woot!
Old 01-23-2005
RESIDENT ROTOR HEAD

Oh I don't think that we'd be putting a sc on an S2K she'd be driving any time in the near future. I just want her to be able to drive it well stock.

She's a little bit afraid of the RWD...I told her it has traction control, but I don't know...

Does it have some sort of TCS system?
Old 01-23-2005
Registered!!

JP375 is an unknown quantity at this point
It sounds like you should ask yourself if this is the car she wants or if its the car you want. You must have one amazing GF if she is the type that would drive a two seat sports car with a small trunk, RWD, manual transmission, cramped cabin, and the ability to be overshadowed by almost every vehicle on the road. This is the exact opposite of what most girls go for. Are you sure she wouldn't be happier with an RSX or something a little more practical? If she really does want the s2000, I would go with the new one. Remember, this is a daily driver, not a race car.
Old 01-23-2005
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
I hang out with a bunch of S2000 Drivers every wedensda night.... Several of them autocross heavily and Do Open track events heavily. This is the lowdown info I've gotten from them regarding the 04+ S2000. Honda "Detuned/Retuned" the 04+ S2000, in order to make it more sellable to the masses. Because, lets fase it, an S2000 is a bit of a status symbol. meaning people other then Enthusiasts are going to want to own one. These are people that typically have no intrest in lerning how to deal with a fairly Tail happy car. And lets face it, the S2000 is probably one of the most tail happy stock cars ever made. So making the suspension a bit more idiot proof was probably the best thing Honda could have done in order to sell more Units. This is probably the same reason they changed the engine and made the torque curve a bit more City friendly.... rather then Laguna Seca friendly.

now none of the above means that the older S2000 is unsafe. But rather, the older S2000 is more of a "Sports" Sports car, and the new one is more of a "City" Sports car.

So if this is going to be a dayly driver she may be better off with the 04.... If she's the kind of woman that likes to run the crap outta her car then she's probbaly better off with the older one, especially if she wants to get in to autocross.

BTW, nookiemonster.. I hang out with a bunch of S2000 and IS300 owners every wedensday night, ushually around 7:30 ushually at the Buffalo Wild wings on South Eastern (By the Hospital) Your welcome to come by and hang out if you'd like. They are a great group of guys/gals. You should see my friends DSP preped IS300... its one fast sedan. Probably the most comfortable "Race Car" i've ever sat in.
Old 01-23-2005
RESIDENT ROTOR HEAD

Originally Posted by JP375
It sounds like you should ask yourself if this is the car she wants or if its the car you want. You must have one amazing GF if she is the type that would drive a two seat sports car with a small trunk, RWD, manual transmission, cramped cabin, and the ability to be overshadowed by almost every vehicle on the road. This is the exact opposite of what most girls go for. Are you sure she wouldn't be happier with an RSX or something a little more practical? If she really does want the s2000, I would go with the new one. Remember, this is a daily driver, not a race car.

Hahaha, I know I know, she definitely wants either the S2K or the Z. I'm leaning her to the S2K, and she's leaning toward the S2K herself...but yeah she wants a sports car.
Old 01-23-2005
RESIDENT ROTOR HEAD

Originally Posted by Zzyzx
BTW, nookiemonster.. I hang out with a bunch of S2000 and IS300 owners every wedensday night, ushually around 7:30 ushually at the Buffalo Wild wings on South Eastern (By the Hospital) Your welcome to come by and hang out if you'd like. They are a great group of guys/gals. You should see my friends DSP preped IS300... its one fast sedan. Probably the most comfortable "Race Car" i've ever sat in.
That sounds great...I feel bad because every time I've tried to schedule a time to meet up with you, work comes up, or some other situation. I'll probably try and meet up with you guys, and bring a couple of Mazda guys along too if you guys don't mind.

I haven't run an autocross event since I had my MSP, so I think this year I'd like to get the 8 going regularly.

As far as the woman's S2k, this will be her first sporty car like I said...so maybe you're right in that the '04 may be a better choice for her, but I'd certainly like to get the 03 model haha.
Old 01-23-2005
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by nookiemonster
That sounds great...I feel bad because every time I've tried to schedule a time to meet up with you, work comes up, or some other situation. I'll probably try and meet up with you guys, and bring a couple of Mazda guys along too if you guys don't mind.

I haven't run an autocross event since I had my MSP, so I think this year I'd like to get the 8 going regularly.

Sure, Bring'em out. We allready have a guy with a Mazdaspeed miata that shows up. the when and where ushually gets posted here http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showforum=116 .

For autocross... I'm acutally in charge of that locally now. so far I'm trying to get 15-18 events for the year.. nothing is solid yet though.

First event looks to be late Feb.

BTW... Wednesday nights are 60¢ leg nights at Buffalo Wild Wings..

Last edited by Zzyzx; 01-23-2005 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-23-2005
O RLY

what are you talking about? your post made no sense.....

cramped cabin, yes if you're fat or over 6'2" (the tallest S2k owners are 6'4").

ability to be overshadowed by almost every vehicle on the road..... i've never heard a more ignorant statement.

An S2000 is plenty capable as a daily driver. I drive mine year round, can fit 2 golf clubs in the trunk, have fun with it in winter, and have enough room for me and my GF's suitcases, etc when we travel. i dont think they'd even consider an S2k if they were looking for trunk space, and some grocery getter practical car.

Last edited by S2000man01; 01-23-2005 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-23-2005
Registered!!

I think its awesome that his girl wants an S, its just that some girls do go by looks alone and may not realize there are compromises with a sports car. S2000man you need to be realistic, yes a 2000 has a small interior compared to other cars, yes the trunk is smaller, and yes it is quite a bit smaller than most other vehicles on the road which makes many people feel uncomfortable. Obviously she is aware of this stuff, and still wants the car. Stop thinking the S2000 is the greatest car ever made. Its a frickin sports car designed for performance, there is inherent tradeoffs that go with this. Just because you are perfectly happy with the S2000 and think its great, doesn't mean everyone will be. I was merely suggesting that all aspects of the car should be considered. It looks like they have thought this through very well, and I hope they are happy with whatever they get.
Old 01-23-2005
O RLY

I wasn't referring to that. What i was referring mostly to was the whole "S2000 being shadowed by almost every car on the road" comment.

Sure there are compromises with the car. Everything you posted about that is correct. It's a sports car in the purest sense. It entails handling over comfort, sporty refinement over practicality, etc. Which is why your comment about it being overshadowed by everything on the road made no sense to me.
Old 01-23-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by S2000man01
I wasn't referring to that. What i was referring mostly to was the whole "S2000 being shadowed by almost every car on the road" comment.

Sure there are compromises with the car. Everything you posted about that is correct. It's a sports car in the purest sense. It entails handling over comfort, sporty refinement over practicality, etc. Which is why your comment about it being overshadowed by everything on the road made no sense to me.
I meant in regards to physical size. It was not worded the best. Its quite a small car, which makes some people nervous when you have suburbans and explorers looming over you.
Old 01-23-2005
RESIDENT ROTOR HEAD

Guys, guys, guys relax...

She knows the drawbacks and perks of the car. One of her good friends has one (stripper chick) in suzuka blue. She rides with her quite often, but this girl does not know anything about her own car. She likes my 8 better than her S2K...what does that tell you?

I love my car as much as the next guy, but sometimes I like the S2K better than my car...that's a whole different convo though..
Old 01-23-2005
O RLY

I meant in regards to physical size. It was not worded the best. Its quite a small car, which makes some people nervous when you have suburbans and explorers looming over you.
lol ok that makes sense. i was like.... eh?
Old 01-24-2005
End Bringer

Voiceofid is an unknown quantity at this point
why don't you and her go test drive the new one and the old one?

like the others, i feel that you seem to want her to buy the s2k for the sake of driving it yourself in references to the want of the more rpm less tamed motor. i've never driven or ride in a s2k, but from what i've read so far, the newer more tamed model seems to be a better choice for her as a daily driver.

i don't know about her personality or how she treats cars. it is my believe that even if she does later choose to go autocross, i am pretty sure she will still enjoy the sport in a "detuned" model. i doubt she is trying to win autocross championships, i would be more concerned about city manners than weekend warriorability (which i doubt the new s2k lacks)

so in conclusion, it is my humble opinion that she should get a less aggressive s2000 for the sake of daily drivability and road manners.

and as for the tail happy comment, i think the mk2 mr2 have that crown, snap steering and tail spins are common daily storys on mr2oc.com and "i spun out and wrecked, parting out car" threads are not uncommon either.

and the rwd comment, i was worried about rwd when i first started driving the mr2, since i have not driven a rwd car before that, and after 4 months of ownership, i have to say that the rwd configuration acts in the same manner as a fwd car in city speeds. the world does change once you start going above 50 and/or in the rain, then again, it's such a bad idea to go fast in a sports car in the rain anyway.. i am just talking to myself, i'll stop now
Old 01-24-2005
My penis is just like all my posts, very very short

zachgeyer has a spectacular aura aboutzachgeyer has a spectacular aura about
sweet