General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

The First Real World Turbo RX-8 (VIDEO)...UPDATED MORE VIDS

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005
RESIDENT ROTOR HEAD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of light
The First Real World Turbo RX-8 (VIDEO)...UPDATED MORE VIDS

http://www.rx8club.com/showthread.php?t=49150

http://www.mazdatrix.com/8turbo.htm

Vid on page 31. For the lazy: http://tyrannical.org/philodox2.wmv

302 HP at the CRANK per Greddy at the SEMA show...

Other turbo kits are in the works, but this one is the darling right now.

I'm waiting to see the effects of the superchargers due to come out from Hymee, Blitz, Pettit, and possibly Mazdaspeed.

I know alot of you die hard Honda guys could care less, but this is BIG BIG news in the rotary community.

Last edited by nookiemonster; 01-20-2005 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-14-2005
Sometimes, I can see right through myself ...
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

taz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud of
Oh no. I actually care. The little Wankel that could. It's amazing to get so much horsepower out of such a small engine. The twin-turbo FD3S was such a sick car. That 13B-REW really puts out some nice numbers. Too bad it wasn't as reliable as one could have hoped, espically when you started turning up the boost. Damned apex seals.

I'd actually like to find an FC in half-way decent shape. Espically a turbo one. I'd probably got Initial D on it.
Old 01-14-2005
Registered!!

xtreme26 has a spectacular aura aboutxtreme26 has a spectacular aura aboutxtreme26 has a spectacular aura about
snap, thats like a 70 hp increase over stock and its only at 5 psi and like taz sed its amazing to see show much power out of that 1.3L
Old 01-14-2005
Slow and Sexy

KwikSilver04 will become famous soon enoughKwikSilver04 will become famous soon enough
i love the rotary engines..........but i love my sohc non-vtec more lol!
Old 01-14-2005
RESIDENT ROTOR HEAD

nookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of light
Nice to see you guys appreciate rotaries. I'm curious to see what the limits of the Renesis are...how much boost is possible and how much power it makes before they blow the Apex/Side seals...I really wanna see someone test the boundaries..
Old 01-14-2005
Jam out with your clam out.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
abmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questioned
damn thats awesome. you can do so much with a rotary engine cause they are so damn small and you have all the engine bay room in the world to work with.
Old 01-14-2005
Registered!!

jfan is an unknown quantity at this point
Didn't Modified feature like a 900hp RX-8? There have been a lot of turbo RX-8s at shows already. I'm kinda lost...
Old 01-14-2005
RESIDENT ROTOR HEAD

Yes, but that was a 20B-REW sequential twin turbo motor from a Mazda Eunos Cosmo. This is the first boosted REAL LIFE RENESIS.

There were two turbo RX-8's at SEMA that I can remember, but I'm not talking show cars here, I'm talking a real life Ordinary Joe that put this on his RX-8.
Old 01-14-2005
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
too bad people who turbo a 1.3 rotary pushing over 400 horses will see below 10 mpg. Only real flaw of the rotary. They are so smooth and simple in design. It can be super efficient stock but turbo'ed smaller rotaries take too much gas. Also you would be replacing seals like crazy since stock they recommend new ones ever ?30,000 miles?.
that is awesome news though, especially since people were asking about it a year ago. 12 months is a long wait!!!
Old 01-14-2005
RESIDENT ROTOR HEAD

Apex seals on the 13B-REW were replaced every 60-75K miles on hard driving. Although I have heard of some boosted rotaries blow seals much earlier, but as with an FI application, there will be a few time bombs. Properly maintained the seals can last over 100K. Gas mileage on my father's RX-7 is around 15 mpg in the city with twin turbos. According to reviews, the turbo RX-8 should still receive 17/25 under normal conditions, as long as you're not in boost all day long.
Old 01-14-2005
Registered!!

chrisleecool has a spectacular aura aboutchrisleecool has a spectacular aura about
I like rx8 better than honda s2000
hopefully someday i'll own one of them
Old 01-14-2005
Registered!!

ricergribbs is an unknown quantity at this point
ill take an s2000 over and rx-8 any day. now if it were a '93+ rx-7, id have to take that.
Old 01-14-2005
RESIDENT ROTOR HEAD

I love S2K's as well...but they don't have enough cargo or passenger space for me and what I do. The RX-8 has a very similar driving experience, with everything I need...but I'm seriously plotting to get this turbo kit.
Old 01-14-2005
Registered!!

CiViCLiZeD714 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow. That was one of the most boring vids ever. It's nice to see so much power coming out of that car though.
Old 01-14-2005
You gotta be as blind as Anne Frank not to see that

ddevil0013 is on a distinguished road
i test drove a blue rx8 a couple weeks ago while my vic was (and still is) in the shop and those things rev like no other. before i knew it i was 20mph over the speed limit and the dealership guy told me to settle down lol..i was only in 3rd gear. it's such a smooth machine, gotta love em
Old 01-14-2005
nor cal 7thgens

allmotor can only hope to improve
looked pretty quick to me
Old 01-14-2005
my civic has no boost

hotrodcivic2004 should not be trusted
rotary engines are sweet..no cylinders....its......chambers....gotta love it
Old 01-14-2005
Registered!!

HorrorSkopes is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation

320crank...?

so with mazda tremendous drivetrain loss, where talking about 260-270whp? Nice, but IMO it needs more power. I was watching my BMV: Factory Fighters last night, and the mazdaspeed rx8, came 2nd to last place... last was the type-R.

Originally Posted by CiViCLiZeD714
Wow. That was one of the most boring vids ever. It's nice to see so much power coming out of that car though.

Last edited by HorrorSkopes; 01-14-2005 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-14-2005

diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by nookiemonster
Apex seals on the 13B-REW were replaced every 60-75K miles on hard driving. Although I have heard of some boosted rotaries blow seals much earlier, but as with an FI application, there will be a few time bombs. Properly maintained the seals can last over 100K. Gas mileage on my father's RX-7 is around 15 mpg in the city with twin turbos. According to reviews, the turbo RX-8 should still receive 17/25 under normal conditions, as long as you're not in boost all day long.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek! us econobox drivers are so spoiled! I almost died knowing that low gas mileage!
As for seals since you are more up on this how much do they cost to replace? also most piston engines last 100-150K miles. what about rotaries? more, less, or about the same? obviously they can build one for 1,000,000 miles but cost effectiveness plauges reliability.
Old 01-14-2005

Originally Posted by HorrorSkopes
320crank...?

so with mazda tremendous drivetrain loss, where talking about 260-270whp? Nice, but IMO it needs more power. I was watching my BMV: Factory Fighters last night, and the mazdaspeed rx8, came 2nd to last place... last was the type-R.
i understand what you are saying but those numbers are under minimal amounts of boost. 5psi is like the starting point for almost any FI setup. Thats where you start. 5psi really isnt much. plus you are talking about roughly 231 hp/L
Old 01-15-2005
RESIDENT ROTOR HEAD

Originally Posted by diskreet
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek! us econobox drivers are so spoiled! I almost died knowing that low gas mileage!
As for seals since you are more up on this how much do they cost to replace? also most piston engines last 100-150K miles. what about rotaries? more, less, or about the same? obviously they can build one for 1,000,000 miles but cost effectiveness plauges reliability.
Seals are relatively cheap, and if you know what you're doing, you can take these motors apart and replace the seals on your coffee table. It's seriously like putting a sandwich together. On the other hand, if you don't know what you're doing, it's pretty pricey as good rotary mechs are few and far inbetween.

Horrorscopes...keep in mind that when the car was released, EPA announced that all 2004 cars would have to be equipped with cats that would last at least 100K miles. The quick and easy fix was a reflash that advanced timing and richend the A/F mixture. The result was a serious loss in power and fuel economy not as great as originally hoped for. At the time, Mazda marketing had already released the information on the car being 248 HP (even down before from roughly 280...thank emissions) so a massive recall was made, and the car was re-tested at 238 hp. Mazda has since released a series of ECU flashes, and they haven't gotten it perfect, but they get better as they come. A canzoomer unit (basically E-manage specifically for the RX-8) easily puts the car back on par, and some have seen as much as 20 hp out of the tuning unit.

Sorry to go off topic, but diskreet I think you might like this vid. It shows how the Renesis and other rotaries are assembled. By hand in the Ujima plant. Enjoy:

mms://sswmt1.smartstream.ne.jp/mazda/rx-8/rotary_500k.wmv

You'll need to copy and paste into your address window.

Oh btw, NA rotaries have been known to last well over 200K miles. My father had an FC before he bought his current car, and sold it to a friend who still drives it in CA. Only three moving parts in the entire engine make for a very low maintenance schedule...

Last edited by nookiemonster; 01-15-2005 at 12:53 AM.
Old 01-15-2005
Registered!!

aZnVoYCe has a spectacular aura aboutaZnVoYCe has a spectacular aura about
Much props.
Old 01-15-2005
RESIDENT ROTOR HEAD

Here's another assembly video for you diskreet...hope that helps.
http://www.step-hen.com/rx8/files/renesis1.wmv
Old 01-15-2005
Registered!!

jackal903 is an unknown quantity at this point
i just like Rx-7 better than Rx-8..looks better
Old 01-15-2005

thanks for the vids...but i learned the most from howstuffworks.com on rataries. very nice design. I never realized how simple they were to be put together. And being made by hand definatly makes me feel alot better about the car. Good vids,
As far as the RX-7 looking better, I think the RX-7 is a beautiful car. all it needs is rims and its nice. The RX-8's, though, have the small-car-large-wheel look from the factory that makes it look like an import fan's dream. The body flows nicely and I love everything about the car except the rear doors. I don't hate them but I dont know if i like them yet. Havent had the chance to use the doors so I cant say if i like them or not.
Old 01-15-2005
RESIDENT ROTOR HEAD

Yes, well for me I needed the rear doors and back seats. If it were a strictly 2 seater, I wouldn't have been able to get the car for various reasons.

As far as the RX-7 looking better, yeah sure. They costed 40,000 dollars in 1995. Adjust for inflation, and that's 50,000 dollars in today's market. It damn well better look good for that kind of price.

I just don't understand everytime I bring up some kind of new development people keep going off topic about the RX-7. Okay we know it was a better car. It's only been mentioned a million times, but can we discuss the turbo please?
Old 01-15-2005
My penis is just like all my posts, very very short

zachgeyer has a spectacular aura aboutzachgeyer has a spectacular aura about
wow nice
Old 01-15-2005
2k1civic.com O. G.

AzNmiKex215 will become famous soon enoughAzNmiKex215 will become famous soon enough
why did it take so long for someone to develope a turbo kit? Was there any custom or shop turbo kits available?
Old 01-15-2005
awd pwnz j00

import2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, I have been on rx8club watching this unviel.. from when he ordered it through the installs... makes me want a rx8 LoL

nice cars, i just cannot afford one.
Old 01-15-2005
RESIDENT ROTOR HEAD

I bet you could now...they're clearing out the 04's for cheeeeaaaap...

Quick Reply: The First Real World Turbo RX-8 (VIDEO)...UPDATED MORE VIDS