General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Those who bought and extended warranty.. how much did it cost you?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
flotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to behold
Those who bought and extended warranty.. how much did it cost you?

If you bought an extended warranty from Honda, how much did it cost you? I'm thinking of trading in my Coupe for a Sedan and want an automatic tranny this time so my wife can drive it also. I wont buy and automatic without an extended warranty.

Any replies are appreciated, thanks!
Old 10-15-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03civda is an unknown quantity at this point
Heres what I did. when we bought out car, the finance guy was trying to sell us the warranty for about $1500. we asked him if the warranty could be purchased any time between now and when the vehicle hits 36,000 miles and the original warranty expires. he said yes. so we said ok, we will just buy it laater on. so instead of him risking losing a sale to another dealer and us not buying the extended warranty from him, he said, "ok, I will give it to you for $750," we said "ok" and got it.
Old 10-15-2004
Registered!!

bobbo94 is an unknown quantity at this point
I think mine was right at $1000 but I didn't know you could talk them down on stuff like that.
Old 10-15-2004
Registered!!

03civda is an unknown quantity at this point
neither did i. we really had no intention on buying it that day, but when he offered it to us for such a low price, we took him up on it.
Old 10-15-2004
blah™
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Excal is an unknown quantity at this point
Im not exactly sure what i paid for mine...but I got a 7 year 72,000 warranty on mine. Plus i got the 5 year interior/exterior guard thing whatever. And all together for a 04 lx sedan auto came out to 17,900 after tax/tag/title and the warranty stuff.
Old 10-15-2004
blah™

Oh and plus GAP Insurance. Wouldnt buy any car without it.
Old 10-15-2004
w00t

acurastype01 is an unknown quantity at this point
mine was 750
Old 10-15-2004
Registered!!

jyoung is an unknown quantity at this point
Old 10-15-2004
Registered!!

darklegacy540 is on a distinguished road
Wow, I got the raw end of the deal if you guys picked yours up for $750. My 10 year/100,000 miles warranty was around $1100.
Old 10-15-2004
Banned

CiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond repute
stupid warranty is a waste. u don't need it. they are just trying to make yall pay more. LOL.
Old 10-15-2004
blah™

Originally Posted by CiViCPrAnInG2k1
stupid warranty is a waste. u don't need it. they are just trying to make yall pay more. LOL.
It depends on if you do a lot of stuff to your car to void your warranty then it is. But when you only have to pay $50 for a blown motor is it that much of a waste?

Even if you do put mods on your car it depends on the dealership you go to weather they want to fix whatever is wrong or not. And if you a good talker then you gonna get it fixed. Its like insurance ya most the time insurance is a waste of time but when something happens you are sure happy you had it so you dont have to pay out the money. Id rather give them $700-$1100 extra for a 5-10 year warranty whatever it is. Casue within 5 years if you drive a lot like me. Anything can happen and it only costs me $50 and thats for labor and parts. Where most dealership charge anywhere from $65-$100/hr for labor.
Old 10-15-2004
Registered!!

civic2nr819 is an unknown quantity at this point
I got shafted and they charged me $1500 for a 6 year 60k.(stay away from metro honda in R.I.)I thought it was included with the sticker price and found out later it wasn't.I wouldn't have gotten it because I don't keep cars that long.
Old 10-15-2004
Registered!!

EL-Sport is an unknown quantity at this point
It all depends on how much driving you do and how long you plan to keep your car.

As for buying an extended warranty, remember this is also an area that you can negotiate price as well. Most people don't know that and just pay whatever the dealers says it costs.
Old 10-15-2004
Registered!!

LiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura about
I paid $600 for 6 year / 100,000 mile warranty with HondaCare.

My tranny broke down at 45k and I only paid my deductible of $50 for a brand new transmission and a loaner car until it was fixed.
Just that one time made the whole thing worth it.
And knowing how weak A/T trannys are it'll probably break down again at 90k but it's okay because I'm still covered.

Make sure you get warranty from HONDACARE and not another third party.
HondaCare coverage is like AAA. They offer lockout service, gas, flat tire, towing, and everything else AAA offers.
Old 10-15-2004
blah™

ive never seen a 6 year/100,000 warranty its usally like 5 year/50,000 7 year/70,000 or 10 year 100,000 they also have a 3 year one.

But not all there warrantys are like AAA...usally dealership will add that in but sometime you have to pay for those services. Cause my dealership asked me if i wanted them with my warranty but i already have AAA so it wasnt worth it to me. And i got the good AAA and dont have to pay for it.
Old 10-15-2004
Registered!!

LiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura about
Mine expires on 2007 and I got the car in 2001 so thats 6 years =)

All of HondaCare's service contracts include membership to the Cross Country Motor Club, which is Honda's AAA-like service.
Some dealers may not offer you the contract through HondaCare so you have to make sure you know which company is covering you and what comes with it.
Old 10-15-2004
Registered!!

4Saris is an unknown quantity at this point
DON'T finance a warranty, It's federal law that you can buy one until the original one runs out. If you trade the car in before then, you just lost the money you bought the service contract for. Usually they are cheaper from your insurance company. When I was a finance manager, I could make $1000 on just a service contract. GAP is not a necessity either. Here is some good information from my Car Buying post on Back End Products:

PART 3- BACK END PRODUCTS, ARE THEY WORTH IT?

The following are backend products and what their purpose is. If you don’t see the backend product on here, it is probably not anything you should consider. Backend products increase a dealer’s profitability almost by double of what they make on the sale of a car, so carefully consider anything other than the car that you buy.

SERVICE CONTRACT OR WARRANTY

Description- Allows you to have protection if the car breaks down, but their will be a deductible.

Price: $500-$2000

Yes or No?- Usually never needed on a new car because you have a factory warranty giving you a minimum of 36 mos/36k miles. If you want a longer one, wait until your factory warranty expires. It’s a federal law that you are allowed to purchase one from a dealership before the original one expires, no need to finance it. Also, there are independent companies that send you solicitations around the 3 year mark via direct mail.

Refundable from Bank or Company- Yes, generally you can receive a value from the bank or warranty company. Some are even transferable with the car when it is traded. Never believe that a bank “requires” a service contract to be sold to the customer.

GAP OR DEFICIENCY PROTECTION
Description- If the car is ever a total loss, this pays for the difference of the value deemed by the insurance and what you owe to the bank.

Price- $100-500

Yes or No?- If you have a car that generally does not hold its value (Kia, Mitsubishi, Daewoo, most domestic cars that are not sports cars) or your credit is not that great, GAP is a good idea. Deficiencies in the first year can be in excess of $6000 on some cars and the extra $200 can save you thousands.

Refundable from Bank or Company- Yes, generally you can receive a value from the bank or GAP company. Some are even transferable with the car when it is traded.

CREDIT LIFE OR DISIABILITY
Description- If at any time you die (LIFE) or are injured (DISABILITY), you will receive a payment from the insurance company to help pay for the car and your injury

Price- I’ve seen people pay from $150 all the way up to $4000.

Yes or No?- NO! These products are actually used at a low %. This is a good way to get upside down in a car or increase the dealerships profit exponentially. If you insist on this product, go to your local State Farm or Allstate agent and they will generally sell the same thing to you for 1/3 of the price.

Refundable from Bank or Company- Yes, generally you can receive a value from the bank or insurance Company.

TIRE WARRANTY, PAINT PROTECTION, SCOTCH GUARDING, VIN ETCHING
Description- These are pretty self descriptive.

Price-$50 to however much they get someone for

Yes or No?- No. All of the products above are not generally considered to be valuable backend products and require the dealer to add these in as part of the sales price. Tire warranties sometimes cost more than a replacement set of tires. Paint protection and Scotch Guarding is generally done at the factories. Cars sold with those two items most of the time have nothing more than the rest of the cars on the lot. The consumer can do VIN etching, there are websites that sell it for $10. It doesn’t add any value, most cars already have the VIN all over the car.

Refundable from Bank or Company- Not Likely and you don’t receive any credit from it when trading or selling.
Old 10-15-2004
Registered!!

jloos will become famous soon enoughjloos will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LiKEaFeRiO
Mine expires on 2007 and I got the car in 2001 so thats 6 years =)

All of HondaCare's service contracts include membership to the Cross Country Motor Club, which is Honda's AAA-like service.
Some dealers may not offer you the contract through HondaCare so you have to make sure you know which company is covering you and what comes with it.
Make sure - ie in writing - that the warranty they will honor the extended warranty. Many times they will tell you they will fix it but you have to pay them and file a claim with this 3rd party insurance co - which will **** you around. Also make sure you know what the deductible is. If you are just buying it for your tranny - see how much of it they will actually pay to replace your tranny - usually they have a deductible between $100-$500.

If you plan on spending the $750+ on the warranty and you have a $500 deductible it is VERY unlikely the warranty will do much good for you. Just like any insurance or extended warranty it is a gamble, one which has the odds very much in their favor. Don't plan on ever using it, you probably won't. But if piece of mind is what you're looking to pay for then it may be a good idea. Other than that it is a huge rip-off IMO.

BTW I've represented insurance companies that offer these warranties - some companies are good like the one mentioned above - but most are very shady and deny just about everything and will only pay once you get a lawyer.
Old 10-15-2004
Registered!!

HondaSales is a glorious beacon of lightHondaSales is a glorious beacon of lightHondaSales is a glorious beacon of lightHondaSales is a glorious beacon of lightHondaSales is a glorious beacon of light
if you buy an enhanced warranty, make sure you get the Honda Care! the most you should pay for a 7yr/100k is 1,300. dealer cost is right around 600. and yes, they come in 4 or 5yr/60k, 5yr/75k, 5yr/100k, 6yr/75k, 6yr/100k, 7yr/75k, and 7yr/100k.
Old 10-16-2004
Registered!!

mrchowmein has a spectacular aura aboutmrchowmein has a spectacular aura aboutmrchowmein has a spectacular aura about
i got 7 year hondacare warranty for free (kinda). the dealership adjusted and lowered the price of my civic after we settled our final price. so they subtracted $400 off the price i was gonna pay and added in the warranty for $400. i bought the car in may of 2002. i guess the economy was bad so they wanted to sell. Reading the previous post, the $400 might be the cost of the warranty for the dealer.

Last edited by mrchowmein; 10-16-2004 at 12:05 AM.
Old 10-16-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by jloos
Make sure - ie in writing - that the warranty they will honor the extended warranty. Many times they will tell you they will fix it but you have to pay them and file a claim with this 3rd party insurance co - which will **** you around. Also make sure you know what the deductible is. If you are just buying it for your tranny - see how much of it they will actually pay to replace your tranny - usually they have a deductible between $100-$500.

If you plan on spending the $750+ on the warranty and you have a $500 deductible it is VERY unlikely the warranty will do much good for you. Just like any insurance or extended warranty it is a gamble, one which has the odds very much in their favor. Don't plan on ever using it, you probably won't. But if piece of mind is what you're looking to pay for then it may be a good idea. Other than that it is a huge rip-off IMO.

BTW I've represented insurance companies that offer these warranties - some companies are good like the one mentioned above - but most are very shady and deny just about everything and will only pay once you get a lawyer.
Originally Posted by LiKEaFeRiO
I paid $600 for 6 year / 100,000 mile warranty with HondaCare.

My tranny broke down at 45k and I only paid my deductible of $50 for a brand new transmission and a loaner car until it was fixed.
Just that one time made the whole thing worth it.
And knowing how weak A/T trannys are it'll probably break down again at 90k but it's okay because I'm still covered.

Make sure you get warranty from HONDACARE and not another third party.
HondaCare coverage is like AAA. They offer lockout service, gas, flat tire, towing, and everything else AAA offers.
My post on the first page answered it all. Thanks for the extra info though
Old 02-15-2005
Registered!!

mattnyc is an unknown quantity at this point
hope this thread isnt too old to revive. but if my lease ends in October 2005, i can buy Honda Care as late as September 2005? I obviously wouldnt wait that long, but i am trying to see how this works. Also Can i buy Honda Care from any dealer in the country? or do i have to go back to my stealership?
Old 02-16-2005
My penis is just like all my posts, very very short

zachgeyer has a spectacular aura aboutzachgeyer has a spectacular aura about
just piad that all
Old 02-16-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
I added an extended warranty when I bought my car brand new from honda and the warranty included coverage on everything on the car. Brakes, electrical, suspension, radio, everything up to 100k miles. It was I think $1200. Only bad thing is I have a $100 deductable. I hate that. My stupid mom did that when we got the warranty. With no deductable, I think it would have been $1500.
Old 02-16-2005
Registered!!

pr0vidence is an unknown quantity at this point
I just bought my car in December, paid $1,200 for my 7/100 upgrade bumper-to-bumper from the standard 3/36
Old 02-16-2005
Registered!!

Ok so can i buy the 7/100 now? i bought the car october 2002. 3/36 is still valid.

Can i shop dealerships for the best deal?
Old 02-16-2005
Registered!!

xwarp is an unknown quantity at this point
i have an extended warranty through a company called "warrantybynet". if i remember correctly, i paid 1100 plus an additional 100 to not have a deductible, otherwise, it would have been 50 a pop. this is a 6/72k warranty. this warranty is on a 2000 chevy malibu we purchased in june 2002 with 15000 miles. below are examples of work we have had done. by this time, the factory warranty had expired.
1. at 27k, the water pump went out. all repair costs were covered.
2. at 27,500 miles, the lower intake gasket started leaking. (if we had not caught that when we did, we would have been buying a new motor.) $800 repair at no cost to me.
3. ignition switch went bad, and engine started "surging" at 45 mph. $400 dollar repair job. again, no cost to me.

now, had i known malibus sucked *** to begin with, i would have avoided it all together. but, i thought i'd share my experience.

if you don't want the factory warranty, you can shop around for alternatives. if you do, i would recommend finding out who the insurance company is that backs the warranty. i've also learned to avoid the warranties that specifically state what they cover. go with the ones that tell you what they don't cover. most have payment plans while the warranty is effective so your covered. i don't know if their prices are negotiable or not, but i know the dealers warranties are.

i also understand that the dealers don't make a whole lot of money on warranty repairs which is another reason to get the most bang for your buck.

here is a link to their site!;

http://www.warrantybynet.com/coverage.asp

Last edited by xwarp; 02-16-2005 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-16-2005
Registered!!

UTICivic will become famous soon enoughUTICivic will become famous soon enough
I bought the 7y, 100K mile one for 1390 with no deductible. I saw that I didnt need it. I went back to my dealer and returned it almost 3 years later. Honda Financial sent me a check for 1285.**(some change) So basically you can return it. They just prorate it.
Old 02-16-2005
Registered!!

Where is the cheapest honda dealer i can get the Honda Care warranty, 7/100k no deductible?
Old 02-16-2005
Registered!!

SmiteSwift is an unknown quantity at this point
$1200 - 7 year\100,000 miles no deductable.

Quick Reply: Those who bought and extended warranty.. how much did it cost you?