General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Advice on a bad paint job...WARNING: LONG

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XMorriganX is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Advice on a bad paint job...WARNING: LONG

Ok, so here's the story...

6 days after I got my car, I backed into my stepdad's truck and his bumper slid down the side of my right door and quarter panel Well my mom told me not to get the insurance involved because she thought the rate would go up...sooo, her and I split the cost of repairs, which was $1300. This included replacing the door, quarter panel and rear bumper. I chose to go to, what I thought, was a reputable body shop who has been in my town for like 80 years. They're supposed to be the best at working on imports as well. I dropped it off, they fixed it. I get it back. A couple of weeks later, I go to get something out of the trunk and my trunk was soaked. I take it to Honda thinking it's a leaky light and they water test it and say it's ok. A coule of days later, still leaking. I take it back to Honda. They send it to the body shop I took it to (it happend to be their on-site body shop) because it turns out, the body works people didn't put the back window back in right and it's leaking all up in the trunk because of it. I get it back and I noticed a nice, down-to-the-metal scratch about an inch long right smack in the middle of the quarter panel that was replaced. They offered to "professionally touch it up", but I demanded a repaint. Drop it off, pick it up again. I did a quick inspection of the scratch and leave. That same afternoon, I get to work, get out and happen to glance down the side of the car...my gas cap is scratch to hell and back! On the total opposite side they were working on!There were about 5 deep metal scratches that would have to be sanded down all the way to remove. Pissed, I call them up and get my Mom in it too because they think I'm a stupid girl who doesn't know anything. They had the nerve to hang up on me after saying that I am too picky and refuse to paint it again. So, I fixed the scratches by eventually getting a carbon gas lid. But that's not the issue anymore. The more I washed my car, the more I noticed this faint overspray look all over the right side...it sort of looks like somone tried to clearcoat it with clear fingernail polish. And the paint seems so thin on that side, like a blade of grass would scratch it...I shrugged it off thinking I could buff it out myself, but to no success. My now trusted car guy pointed out, without me even saying anything, that the line where they welded the quarter panel on, was started to show through the paint. You can look at my car and see a perfect line under the paint where they didn't sand it down enough for it to blend...So I go back (keep in mind this is about 2 1/2 years after the accident) and they inspect it and agree to redo it (surprised the hell outta me)..But I don't want them to redo it! They'll just screw something else up! I only trust my car guy now and I want him to do it! Should I call my insurance company and get some advice on maybe getting someone to pay for my guy to do the job the right way?? I'm so frustrated...and scared more than anything because now all my body kit stuff is on. They're too careless and I know all those scratches are from their stupid belts with all their little tools going screeeeeeeeeeeeech all up on my nighthawk paint...I would really appreciate some advice....I knew I should have filed a claim with the BBB

Thanks in advance
Old 05-25-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Wow. That's rediculous. Don't ever go back there. You could always claim it on the insurance if your deductible isn't too high. But then rates might go up. You need to have it done properly or else the car will start rusting. From what you say, it really sounds bad. Those guys must be so careless to scratch up everything like that.
Old 05-26-2004
nor cal 7thgens

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
allmotor can only hope to improve
nice post but i stopped readin after the two lines too long jk but that does suk and is rediculous