General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

SE-R vs. SRT-4

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CvC-v01 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
SE-R vs. SRT-4

i was thinking of trading my civic for either a nissan or dodge.....

but there both four doors and i'am not really a big fan ....

what do you guys think which is better car for my buck??

here's the a link of comparison of both cars.....

http://us.nissan.clientsites.carspec...55759320040322
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	4ser_gal_03_lrg.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	28575  
Old 05-04-2004
Registered!!

or the dodge

Name:	ddddw.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	28576  
Old 05-04-2004
Retired Super Mod and STILL Pimpin' Yo Mama

Blk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to behold
How about posting in the right forum?
Old 05-04-2004
Registered!!

KurupTLX is an unknown quantity at this point
SRT-4 all the way. The two cars aren't even comparable IMO.
Old 05-04-2004
Registered!!

tdub4life is an unknown quantity at this point
Personally like the look of the Sentra more, however, Kurup is right. Go SRT-4. Much more bang for your buck.
Old 05-04-2004
Registered!!

pr4life36 is an unknown quantity at this point
if it was me i go for the nissan, even though it has 40hp less than the dodge, it has 6 speed, u can later spend 3k on a turbo if u want and have way more hp than the dodge. according to the link the nissan also offers more stuff. in my opinion dodge= but thats just my opinion
Old 05-04-2004
Life Begins > 6800rpms
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
The old SE-R is hot compared to the new one. The SRT is the way to go if you are comparing those two.
Old 05-04-2004
I like ruining your threads.

NoFriends is a name known to allNoFriends is a name known to allNoFriends is a name known to allNoFriends is a name known to allNoFriends is a name known to allNoFriends is a name known to allNoFriends is a name known to allNoFriends is a name known to all
Originally posted by KurupTLX
SRT-4 all the way. The two cars aren't even comparable IMO.
Yup. SRT-4 has HUGE potential. Dump 2 grand into the motor and you could be runnin low-mid 12's.
Old 05-04-2004
Post Whore General

Jodster is a jewel in the roughJodster is a jewel in the roughJodster is a jewel in the roughJodster is a jewel in the rough
Originally posted by pr4life36
if it was me i go for the nissan, even though it has 40hp less than the dodge, it has 6 speed, u can later spend 3k on a turbo if u want and have way more hp than the dodge. according to the link the nissan also offers more stuff. in my opinion dodge= but thats just my opinion
Um.......40? Try more like 60. and don't forget the 245 ft tq. The SRT-4 has a bigger motor and its already made for turbo. I have seen the factory motor holding 400whp no problem. SRT-4 all the way. You might think its a Neon, but its a Neon that will kick you *** any day of the week.
Old 05-04-2004
Nothing works better than a Chris except a Honda.

CivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of light
ok... is it going to be a quater mile car or a street car that can occasionally do track runs?

Overall though, I'd chose the SER, because I believe it would be an easier to deal with car on a day to day basis...
Old 05-04-2004
Registered!!

1320Racing is an unknown quantity at this point
Beware of the 2005 SE-R Nissan currently has the engine at 250 hp at the flywheel. And they state they are still working on it.
Go to nissan's off website and look at the future of nissan
For the amount of money you would put into an srt-4 3,000 dollars 400 HP. 3,000 Dollars into a 250 N/A engine @ ehhh 5psi should put you at 400HP soo its really up to you and your taste in the car. But if you boost the SE-R like 12psi hot damn.
Old 05-04-2004
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
personally, I would go for the WRX, but if you are looking to spend less money and want a better car, I would get the SRT-4
Old 05-04-2004
TAQUITOS!!!!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

gh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the rough
i wanted an se-r before i got my civic. so i'm biased.

i agree with CivicsRdBest, i'd take the se-r for a daily driver.
Old 05-04-2004
Registered!!

whitebread is an unknown quantity at this point
I say go with the SE-R. Reliability for everyday driving, 6 speed, excellent potential, lots of torque from an N/A four-banger. Less on insurance too.
Old 05-04-2004
Registered!!

MrFresh is an unknown quantity at this point
Go with the SE-R...what good is being fast if your car is constantly in the shop? Neons are weak as hell, turbo or no turbo.
Old 05-04-2004
Registered!!

faultyscrew is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree with the majority in this forum. When I was deciding between a couple of cars a couple of weeks ago the SE-R and SRT-4 were in the running - After about a week I ruled out the SRT-4 since I plan on keeping the car for many years. In the end I decided on a used Honda Prelude with under 50,000 miles or so, though I'm still looking for it. Anyway - The SE-R was in the new car category for me - between the Civic and Mazada3. All these cars don't really compare to the SRT-4 in terms of speed but for me speed wasen't the biggest factor. If you need a good, reliable, fast car then I would go with the SE-R. If your're looking to race and take it to the track often and sell after a couple of years then I would go for the SRT-4. If you're looking into more of a day-to-day car though I would say SE-R all the way - were you thinking of the SE-R SPEC-V? If you're leaning towards the SE-R I would also take a look at the Mazda - good bang for your buck as well - and very nice looks and interior - look just for comparisons sake
Old 05-04-2004
Registered!!

aZnVoYCe has a spectacular aura aboutaZnVoYCe has a spectacular aura about
Why not consider a DC5-S?
Old 05-04-2004
Registered!!

pr4life36 is an unknown quantity at this point
Go with the SE-R...what good is being fast if your car is constantly in the shop? Neons are weak as hell, turbo or no turbo.
I to that
Old 05-04-2004
Bone Stock!

dalaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by 1320Racing
Beware of the 2005 SE-R Nissan currently has the engine at 250 hp at the flywheel. And they state they are still working on it.
Go to nissan's off website and look at the future of nissan
For the amount of money you would put into an srt-4 3,000 dollars 400 HP. 3,000 Dollars into a 250 N/A engine @ ehhh 5psi should put you at 400HP soo its really up to you and your taste in the car. But if you boost the SE-R like 12psi hot damn.
That's the Altima SE-R though.
Old 05-04-2004
Registered!!

hondaciv01 is an unknown quantity at this point
i know a few people that own the srt-4 and love it, and i don't know many that own the se-r........so i'm sayin srt-4
Old 05-04-2004
Registered!!

hustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the rough
If you don't care about reliability and the value of the car plunging every year then go with the SRT4 cuz that is one fast azz car for the money.
Old 05-04-2004
Pro Skater

blue03civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Srt-4..ive seen so much reviews and performance articles about how much potential and how fast you can make those things. That car is also freakin cheap as hell for that amount of power. The SE-R is nice tho too but i would go for the srt-4...come on man..Stock TURBO..and its not that bad looking.. go pick up any car mag and youll see how nice and fast u can make those things...
Old 05-04-2004
Freedom costs a Buck o'Five

88AccordDX has a reputation beyond repute88AccordDX has a reputation beyond repute88AccordDX has a reputation beyond repute88AccordDX has a reputation beyond repute88AccordDX has a reputation beyond repute88AccordDX has a reputation beyond repute88AccordDX has a reputation beyond repute88AccordDX has a reputation beyond repute88AccordDX has a reputation beyond repute88AccordDX has a reputation beyond repute88AccordDX has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by NoFriends
Yup. SRT-4 has HUGE potential. Dump 2 grand into the motor and you could be runnin low-mid 12's.
But it's dodge quality. The tranny will go out faster if you run it hard like that

Sorry, but I have a friend who's brother's Dodge Neon SXT's tranny is going out after 20k miles. It's sad.
Old 05-04-2004
Registered!!

04civicex is an unknown quantity at this point
SE-R Spec-V all the way!!!
Old 05-05-2004
Registered!!

ALL VW's HAVE STOCK TURBO'S....i don't know why you guys make a big deal out of stock turbos....

Name:	sssdeed.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	28632  
Old 05-05-2004
RESIDENT ROTOR HEAD

nookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of light
^^^WTF are you kidding me? Jettas, Golfs, Bugs, ****...every VW car has a trim that is non turbo...Gimme some of what you're smoking.
Old 05-05-2004
Registered!!

^^^^^ i mean 1.8t's not stock
Old 05-05-2004
That is not an ordinary rabbit tis the most foul cruel beast

WhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of light
^Nissan all the way!!!!
I seen some modded Nissans, i am talking lightly modded blow STI WRX's out of the way.
Turbo a Nissan Spec V SER and watch yourself run with evo 8's stick 350z, s2000, older cobras.
Old 05-05-2004
Registered!!

HondaBrad01 is an unknown quantity at this point
SRT-4:
Pros-
1)Uh, DUH! Turbo.
2)The motor was built tough to withstand tons of abuse. The 04 models now have LSD too. Go Dodge!!
3)Mopar makes upgrades already that make the car even deadlier than it already is. Factory support is a GOOD thing.
4)Theres a huge aftermarket for them already. www.modernperformance.com
5)This is just my own opinion, but since the SRT-4 doesnt use mufflers....its got a very unique growl to it. It sounds dope!

Cons- 1)Dodge reliability. I dont mean this to say that they dont try to fix their mistakes, because they have one of the better warrantys. BUT, Im not concerned with the motor/turbo. Its everything else that usually goes wrong. Tranny, heating, cooling, etc.
2)You would have to....and I repeat HAVE TO get some springs or coilovers for that bad boy, because Dodge cant get it through their thick sculls that this isnt the 1980's and it ISNT COOL TO HAVE YOUR CAR JACKED UP IN THE BACK. Are you reading this, Joe Dirt from the R&D department?? Thanks.
3)This is just my own opinion, so just take it for that. But theres just something about everyone and their cousin having this car because its fast right off the factory floor. It makes it less appealing to me.
4)Its more expensive than the Spec-V.

SpecV:
Pros-
1)2.5L of technology. Nissan did their homework with this engine. Im impressed with it. I know it pissed the Nissan fans off when they ditched the SR20, but I like the QR25. Variable timing, variable intake, etc. Tons of NA torque=good for those short races between lights. (hehe)
2)Its Japaneese. LOL ITS GONNA LAST LONGER! Sorry, but Im biased. Obviously most of us here would agree since we own Hondas. I had a 98 Nissan 240SX before my Honda (I had a kid so I had to ditch the 2door.) And that car was still as good as the day it was bought. I loved that car. If I could have afforded a new Spec-V, I wouldnt be on this message board!
3)Nissan FINALLY, has Nismo back up and running for full factory support, and its SO much easier for us Americans to get our hands on it! If I had a Spec-V right now, it would wear nothing but factory Nissan and Nismo parts. Quality and fitment is nothing short of perfect. Increases of performance on the Sentras are very positive too.
4)It doesnt draw TOO much attention. SRT-4s are quickly becoming the hunted whether they win or lose. Im sorry, but I wouldnt like being rev'd at, at every stoplight. Everybody wants a piece of the fast guy. The Spec-V is pretty dang quick, but subtle at the same time. Get some go fast goodies on it, and you've got a sleeper.
5)Optional Brembo brakes from the factory. Dialed........

Cons-
1)Ive heard some people dont like the shifter "feel" in the V. Its kinda crunchy feeling. I havent heard too much about tranny problems though. Its got LSD, so again...thumbs up.
2)Rear seats are kinda cramped for a 4door. But again, if this doesnt really bother you.....then good.
3)Styling is something that needs some MINOR attention. It doesnt look aggressive enough for their little "rocket". I liked the older front fascia better, myself.
4)Im not sure if the 04's are fixed, but the previous year(s) V's had an oil frothing problem. I cant remember quite what caused it, but it lead to people having to constantly fill their cars with oil etc. Plus frothing is just a bad thing in general anyway.

Anyway, those are just my observations. So in the end, which one would I choose....right now????? I would have to say the Sentra, but thats just because I still have Nissan blood running through my veins! haha. Id buy that baby in a hearbeat and pack it front to back with Nismo parts. *drools* (Catback Exhaust, Header w/o Cat, Cams, CAI, Front Strut Bar, Lower Tie Bar, Front/Rear Sway Bar, Shock/Spring Kit, 17" Bronze Wheels by Rays, and of course the Carbon Shift **** =) )

Last edited by HondaBrad01; 05-05-2004 at 03:08 AM.
Old 05-05-2004
Freedom costs a Buck o'Five

88AccordDX has a reputation beyond repute88AccordDX has a reputation beyond repute88AccordDX has a reputation beyond repute88AccordDX has a reputation beyond repute88AccordDX has a reputation beyond repute88AccordDX has a reputation beyond repute88AccordDX has a reputation beyond repute88AccordDX has a reputation beyond repute88AccordDX has a reputation beyond repute88AccordDX has a reputation beyond repute88AccordDX has a reputation beyond repute
^^ Very good post. I got a friend who's got an '02 Spec V and the only thing he wears down the fastest is his tires

He likes to go drifting aka: *** Dragging alot.

Quick Reply: SE-R vs. SRT-4