General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Prelude or Nissan 240sx/300zx

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
faultyscrew is an unknown quantity at this point
Prelude or Nissan 240sx/300zx

Hey - I'm in the used car market now (was going to get another Vic but I already owned 2) and looking at the ludes. I'm pretty much set on prelude but I was wondering what people thought about the Nissan 240sx and 300zx. I don't know anyone that owns them so I have no clue how they ride and their reliability and such. They're both basically in the same $$ range as the lude so I wanted to keep my options open. The closest I can come to these cars is my father's 350z but that doesn't give me much to work with. If anyone knows anything more that they could tell me about these cars please post. Thanks!
Old 04-21-2004
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,171 Likes on 815 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
personally, i'd get a 240sx and drop an sr20det in there... thas just me tho...
Old 04-21-2004
My Baby Daddy

PlasmaGT is on a distinguished road
What year 240 are you considering? I've owned a few s13's('89-'94)
Old 04-21-2004
Registered!!

I was looking into a 96-98 240sx - I dont want something too old
Old 04-21-2004
Smuggling bananas and mexicans all for one low price...

TheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond repute
240's all the way. I want to buy one but dont have the funds. If you dropped the SR in there and you spent a couple thou more, it would be reaaaalllll mean
Old 04-21-2004
Registered!!

Hmmmm - now the sides seem split - I still think I need to get hold of one to test drive
Old 04-21-2004
Smuggling bananas and mexicans all for one low price...

TheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond repute
prod! You red my mind! LOL Except that engine cost like 30 g's
Old 04-21-2004
Registered!!

30gs is not really near my $$ range at all lol. I wish though. i have just enough to pay for the car, insurance, and a new stereo since music is an even great passion of mine.
Old 04-21-2004
Registered!!

Hmmm - still outta my budget for now - but if i do get the 240 it'll always stay in my mind as an option for the future when I have some expendable $$
Old 04-21-2004
VtecViXen

NO!!!! Get the 300ZX.......that car literally gives me an orgasm.... :P
for real there so sick!!
Old 04-21-2004
Registered!!

dre2600 is an unknown quantity at this point
Every time someone puts up a comparison between some car and a 240SX everyone jumps in and says to throw in an SR or RB block, its great. You know, the original KA24 wasn't a bad block and there is a nice Greddy turbo kit out for it that can put out some mean numbers.

Just thought I'd let you know, JDM swap isn't the only way to get good numbers out of a 240.
Old 04-21-2004
I sure wish my car was newer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
white2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of light
300ZX, oh how I love thee.
Old 04-21-2004
Registered!!

300ZX maintenance >> 240 SX maintenance > Prelude maintenance
Old 04-21-2004
Registered!!

1320Racing is an unknown quantity at this point
Get a 240 (s14) and do an RB26dett swap!

YES!!!!!!!!!!

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-21-2004
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,171 Likes on 815 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
i say get the s14 and do an s15 front clip swap.. that'd be sick
Old 04-21-2004
Ass BANNED-IT

CIVICSSUCK is an unknown quantity at this point
300zx twin turbo all the way is the bast choice hell yeah
Old 04-21-2004
Registered!!

Wow! I'm surprised by the overwhelming support for the 240 - I think I'll have to agree with dre on the maintenance issue though. I don't know about the 240 and 300zx particularly but I've owned some nissans in the family and we've had to bring them in more often for service even though they were newer than our Accord 86'. I guess I just have to find one close to me and drive it. The closest I found was around 50 miles away and it was a 1990' - I'm looking for a 95'-98' so maintenance won't be a nightmare. The 300zx is nowhere to be found near me - the Prelude on the other hand has some promising offerings that I've found. It's kind of a toss up now.
Old 04-21-2004
Newbie Member

thomusvoo is on a distinguished road
ill get the newer prelude
Old 04-21-2004
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
Actually, maintaining a 240 isnt too expensive. That car shares parts with the Altima, Maxima, and I think J30 as well. Now, slapping a RB26 is entirely nuts! It's not a bolt on! You wil probably end up cutting up the chassis and stuff... RB25 is a different story.... but both engines and trans are so damn heavy that it will throw off the balance of the car entirely.
Old 04-21-2004
Registered!!

NaHoOnEyYa is an unknown quantity at this point
unless you are gonna swap (240) or would like to have a car thats always gonna need to be fixed (300)...then get the lude....the H22 are bulletproof....
Old 04-21-2004
Registered!!

Yeah - despite all the rants and raves to get the 240, thought still an option, I'm leaning more towards the newer lude. If I make a swap at all it won't be for a while. I just need a stock car that will give me decent performance without modification. I also know the lude will serve me years without problems. I think they way everyone talks about the 240 it seems like a decent project car since you can buy a 240 cheap now and get some great parts for it. If I had the time and money to invest into a 240 it would be one powerful machine, but the truth is I don't have that kind of time or money - no one has really commented on how the 240 runs with a stock set-up without a swap ao that type of opinion is the one to sway my judgment. I have to compare stock vs. stock b/c both cars will remain stock for a looong time lol!
Old 04-21-2004
VtecViXen

I STILL SAY 300!!!!!
Old 04-21-2004
Premium Member

2k2redcivic has a spectacular aura about2k2redcivic has a spectacular aura about
Id def go with the 300 TT. my friend has a 91 hasnt had mutch maintenance to do. he just did a clutch and water pump. it has 110,000 miles and now runs 13.0. for your choices its a no brainer in my book
300 mad potential even for cheap
240 potential but expensive (swap/turbo)
lude a def fav of mine but its still a 4 cly n/a

If you wanna do some real research on the 300 zx TT check out
www.twinturbo.net
Old 04-21-2004
Registered!!

phatcyclist is an unknown quantity at this point
300zx = land yacht, through the roof maintenence, lots of money to make fast

240sx = handles like crap (without massive suspension upgrades), SR20 swap doesnt pass emmision laws, so you wont be able to drive it after your next inspection (and yes ALL authorities know about people swapping engines into them, so dont even get started on the topic), stock engine BLOWS for power, and without just tons of money has no real power potential.

Prelude = indefinate aftermarket support, cheap upgrades for decent all motor power, its a Honda (in every since of the word)

I have a friend with a 98 240sx, and another with a 300zx, both of those cars are PITA to find affordable parts that do anything for them, and they both have some serious mechanical & build quality issues... Get the prelude
Old 04-22-2004
Euro-Spec

tripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nice
the 300ZX TT should be as fast as your dad's 350, and has quite a bit of potential, but I would stick with honda and get the Prelude. That one also has mad potential
Old 04-22-2004
Registered!!

Um...phatcyclist, the 240SX stock handles pretty well, at least the ones I've driven in and yes, those do still have the stock KA24 powerplant. They don't have shitty engines either, they're nice and torquey, sure they're slightly mismatched to the car, but I wouldn't go so far as to call them bad.

Also, build quality on the 240 isn't that bad. The 300 is a different story as turbo cars tend to be more maintenance. But you shouldn't hate on the 240 so much, even stock its a good car.

The Lude is decent, but you'll get raped on insurance, and its not exactly the lightest car out there. Not to mention, functionally, theres no back seat, and its still FWD.
Old 04-22-2004
Rota C10 Coming Soon.

mphole is an unknown quantity at this point
actually, i now officially own a lude myself after my civic was totalled. since i'm not really too into things of modification (just a tad little but nothing major) i thought lude was the better choice based on my preference.

what color are ya getting if u getting the lude?
Old 04-22-2004
Registered!!

invasian is an unknown quantity at this point
screw the prelude the 240 and the 300. get a 91 mr2 and just upgrade the turbo. we have two in our household, and so far no one has been able to smoke them. they are the best bang for your bucks.
Old 04-22-2004
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
Hmm... should have mentioned running stock or bolt on haha... if thats the case and youre not planning to race often, get the Lude. Dont need much modifications to go fast. A 240, I have driven 1 with an intake exhaust and the usual strut tower bars. In terms of power, well, it's a Pathfinder engine, power falls off pretty fast after about 5500 RPM. But for a daily driver with not much time at the high ends, this car is fine b/c of that truck engine providing all that low end power. Now... someone mentioned the H22 being bulletproof... it is, but it isnt. The KA24 was an iron block if i'm not mistaken... with lower compression pistons which is way more boost friendly. But in your case, Prelude is good, and it's more refined in and out. But either motor is good. Mmm... and someone metioned back seat... any type of coupe coming out from Japan is going to have no backseat space. The only ones I can think of are touring type cars, Solara, SC400/300, M30.... those types of cars.

Last edited by CuRiOuSfIsH; 04-22-2004 at 08:25 AM.
Old 04-22-2004
The Woman Who Gave Birth to Rabbits. As seen on TV by QBoi.

Kadenx is a jewel in the roughKadenx is a jewel in the roughKadenx is a jewel in the rough
anything thats rear drive!!!!
j/k, just get whatever you like more. The prelude might be hefty but as long as you are 21 or older you should be straight.

Quick Reply: Prelude or Nissan 240sx/300zx