General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

B.A.R Honda Rollout...Fingers Crossed!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004
Bobaganoosh!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud of
Thumbs up B.A.R Honda Rollout...Fingers Crossed!

Some really nice improvements this year to the engine and gear box (gear box was a huge need for them). They also went to Michelin which was pretty smart in my opinion. Here's hoping Honda makes a some noise this year on the world stage! Can't wait for Montreal!

2/1/2004

British American Racing believes it can provide a credible challenge to the top three teams in Formula One this season. Team boss David Richards says the new BAR-Honda 006 will see the team fighting for a podium finish regularly in 2004.

After years of splashy, hyped unveilings, the team opted for a more subdued affair, with reporters and photographers gathering outside a garage in Barcelona as Button took the new car for a spin before being invited inside for a closer look.

"As we enter the third year of my tenure at B.A.R, a great deal of the groundwork is behind us and we are now in a position to provide a consistent challenge to the top three teams," said Richards.

"The whole operation is moving forward relentlessly and as each week goes by I see our team taking another methodical step towards our long-term goal of front line competitiveness."

Richards has already pronounced Jenson Button a future champion behind the wheel of the BAR-Honda and this year he'll be joined by former test driver Takuma Sato, who replaced Villeneuve at last year's season ending Japanese Grand Prix. Button is entering his fifth season in Formula One and there is already speculation that he will not be back with the team for season number six.

"Our driver line-up of Jenson Button and Takuma Sato provides us with an exciting combination of youth, experience and ambition, which has dramatically boosted the team's motivation to succeed," said Richards

"The car is a major step forward and I feel very confident that the team isn't overstating its expectations for this year when we say we can fight with the top three teams," said Button, whose best finish to date at BAR-Honda is a pair of fourth place showings.

"I think Taku and I will work very well together and hopefully we can look forward to the same kind of results we achieved in Japan. I think this year will definitely bring us podium finishes and, who knows, perhaps my first win as well."

The car, the first to be introduced without Canadian Jacques Villeneuve behind the wheel, is being described as a "significant evolution" of last year's model, 005, combining a step forward in design and build quality and the product of a more challenging and innovative approach.

"Our main objective in 2003 was to establish a credible engineering base, and 2004 proides us with the opportunity to use that credibility and be innovative in design," said technical director Geoffrey Willis. "We now have the extra resource of Honda engineers recruited into the B.A.R design team, and we are beginning to see the benefits of an integrated, stable engineering base."

The new chassis is stiffer and has a lower centre of gravity and, just like the Renault car, features a smaller fuel tank to reflect the revised qualifying rules and raised pit lane speeds.

The biggest single development is the new gearbox. It features a full carbon-composite maincase, together with narrow, lightweight gear ratios which afford a very substantial weight reduction at the rear of the car.

Honda are back with a new engine, designed to meet the challenge of the single-engine rule this season. After identifying the problems which plagued the 2003 unit, the RA004E is a completely revised design, with much smaller dimensions, reduced weight and a lower centre of gravity.

"We have extended our engine's life, while making it smaller and lighter with a lower center of gravity," said F1 Project Leader for Honda Racing Takeo Kiuchi. "As for power, I am confident we will exceed our Suzuka level by the time we get to Melbourne. I am also very pleased to see that our chassis engineers are really beginning to have a positive impact on the car's development and are supporting Geoff's team well."

The aerodynamic package of the 006 has been optimized. B.A.R used the results of track testing last year to identify a new strategy for aerodynamic development, and the new car has been developed in the wind tunnel using these new techniques. Although the change of aerodynamic regulations has slowed down the pace of improvement, the new car shows clear performance advantages in the tunnel over its predecessor.

One other siginificant change from last season is BAR-Honda's switch from Bridgestone to Michelin tires. They now join a crowded stable of contenders which includes McLaren, BMW-Williams and Renault while leaving Ferrari as the lone contender for Bridgestone to concentrate its efforts.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	bar.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	19812  
Old 02-01-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the rough
i've been telling my friend that BAR is gonna be the team to watch in 04. Their new motor has been really quick so far.
Old 02-01-2004

player will become famous soon enoughplayer will become famous soon enough
whos driving it ?
Old 02-01-2004
Bobaganoosh!

Pharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud of
Originally posted by player
whos driving it ?
READ!!

Richards has already pronounced Jenson Button a future champion behind the wheel of the BAR-Honda and this year he'll be joined by former test driver Takuma Sato , who replaced Villeneuve at last year's season ending Japanese Grand Prix. Button is entering his fifth season in Formula One and there is already speculation that he will not be back with the team for season number six.
Old 02-01-2004
Registered!!

Majarvis should not be trustedMajarvis should not be trustedMajarvis should not be trustedMajarvis should not be trusted
Originally posted by Hawk
i've been telling my friend that BAR is gonna be the team to watch in 04. Their new motor has been really quick so far.
Quick yes, reliable no. Honda just can't get a solid grip on reliability in F1, which is surprising when looking at their motorsports past, and roadcar reputation. It will be even more important this year now that the one engine per weekend rule is in effect, putting even more emphasis on reliabilty. They've already had 2 blow-ups in testing so far, so hopefully they'll get a handle on whatever is giving them problems. Thus far in testing, their main rival Toyota looks to have the upper hand, not only in reliability, but power too, hopefully Honda will get this all sorted out before Melbourne. Also, I hate to say it, but maybe without Jacques Villeneuve constantly bitching and moaning, and not having to spend so much to keep him under contract, they will have more funding towards R&D.

Last edited by Majarvis; 02-01-2004 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-01-2004
Registered!!

Civictuner04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah hopefully honda will get back to the level they had in the late 80's early 90's when they were winning championsihp after championship. I cant wait till they come to Indy. Its gonna be so sweet!