General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

In Reply to "Mazdaspeed 3" The Ford-Mazda relationship Clarified.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004
RESIDENT ROTOR HEAD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of light
In Reply to "Mazdaspeed 3" The Ford-Mazda relationship Clarified.

Well anyway, since that thread wants to be retarded and keep saying "page cannot be displayed" when I try to reply to it, here it is:

Originally posted by fraga
Where's nookiemonster when you need him...
Here I am buddy...

Well, just to clarify, Ford owns 30% of Mazda, which in Japan is considered the controlling share holder. Ford makes shitty cars yes, but as a international investor is very smart. They know their cars suck, so what do they do? They go out and buy the controlling shares of not only Mazda, but Jaguar, Aston Martin, and Land Rover.

Ford has made it clear that these companies although Ford investments, will operate completely independent of the Parent company. Ford doesn't want to impede on the competition. Their take on it, is that if you can own the competition and make money off of foreign manufacturers, then they don't need to butt in with their own R & D. This my friends is why Mazda, Jaguar, Aston Martin, and Land Rover will remain distinct independent companies, but of course crappy Ford makes money off of them.

Ford does however, take the liberty of using some of their technologies. This is also seen in the Nissan-Renault situation. Why do you think the Focus is such a better car then every car that Ford has come up with in the past? Ford also makes their technology available to the daughter companies under the daughter companies' own discretion. Hence Jaguar borrowing some of the Taurus components.

Keep in mind that Mitsubishi, Toyota, and Subaru have serious alliances with American companies as well. Love Impreza so much? GM owns substantial shares in Subaru stock. Your arguments that Mazdas are Fords holds little ground when you look at where Mazda actually comes from and how it operates. I'd venture to say that my civic is more of an american car than my Mazda. My civic is a coupe afterall...never seen one of those in Japan anyways.

Take a look at Mazda. Their cars are manufactured AND ASSEMBLED (can't say that much for my civic) in Hofu/Hiroshima Japan. Very few Japanese manufacturers still practice this. Mazda takes alot of pride in its cars, and in building them in their home country. Mazda is also the only country to win the 24 Hour Le Mans Endurance Championship.

Basically what Ford is doing is trying to build an international Monopoly by owning a piece of every market. If you had the money to do it, you would too. Imagine having a piece of the European, Japanese, and Domestic market. Serious money to be made off of companies who already know what they're doing. So Ford is just there from an investment standpoint. Which is a VERY GOOD thing. It's Ford's money which is helping Mazda to R&D the amazing cars that they are currently turning out.

www.astonmartin.com

www.landrover.com

www.mazdausa.com
Old 01-18-2004
Wicked Moderatuh
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

fraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of light
Bout damn time brotha...
Old 01-18-2004
RESIDENT ROTOR HEAD

nookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of light
Yeah I dunno what the hell is going on with the POS thread I was trying to reply to. Keeps giving me http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/newreply.php

Sorry I woke up kinda late today too...
Old 01-18-2004
Wicked Moderatuh
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

fraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of light
Well, since you've been able to post in the thread, no use for this one.