General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

are civics really the top choice in theft?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gatch is an unknown quantity at this point
are civics really the top choice in theft?

well....i know mine is. for some reason, my 99 VP sedan is a prime target. it's been hit 3 times in less than a year of my purchasing it. okay....it's parked on the streets in san francisco but the last car i had was only hit once in the 3 years of me owning it (4dr chevy). the first 2 times i can kind of live with. they broke the glass and some stuff was stolen. this time they broke the glass along with the center piece that houses the stereo and a/c controls. yup, the bastards tried to take my stereo. what makes my car so special to these *******s? i have no idea since it's stock. it's a freakin stock 99 VP 4dr and i mean STOCK from the floormats to the spare tire and, yes, the stereo. so now, not only do i have to pay $200 to replace the window (rear passenger side), but now i also have to replace the center piece since they smashed the housing for the a/c controls and vents. i have no idea how much one of those costs but installing it can't be cheap. now i'm thinking of replacing the stock stereo with one with a pull-out face but other than that, what's going to keep another idiot from breaking in and can someone recommend a good price/performance stereo. i don't need the high end so count those out. i'm thinking this is going to cost me around $300 and if i could stay well below that, the better.
Old 01-18-2004

player will become famous soon enoughplayer will become famous soon enough
The problem with civic is that the old ones are really really easy to steal, even if you have protection its not that hard to go around it. that isnt the case with 7thgen though. the second thing is that civics are rice cars. making the probebility that it will have a system in it bigger so theifs looks for that. last thing is that they r economy cars. so younger people drive them, and younger people are the ones that keep their glasses, computers cell phones and cds in the car.

You have to live with the fact that u will be targetted, its a fact. just make sure u have a good insurance policy and take the extra precautions in parking it and monitoring it.
Old 01-18-2004
Registered!!

ceddy is an unknown quantity at this point
sorry to here that man, well as long as u still have ur ride then its all good. i did a report on stolen vehicles and found out that the most frequenty stolen cars are the integras and camrys...i know people r like " wut so special about these stock cars...y not go for a porche??" the answer is the value of the parts. even though these card r worht around 15 Gs...the parts theives call sell them for can round up to even more than 15 gs - plus these types of cars are everywhere and theives have a good market to sell them at. i use to had a 91 camry and it got stolen...they just used a device to unhook th elock from the window...my car ws found the next day - abandoned and left by a fire hydren.
Civics r also in the top ten i believe. yeah it sucks that r cars will be popular targets...but at least they wont LIKELY steal the 2k1 models with the microchipped embedded key...but there is always the possibility
i think people shoudl just get an alarm - even somtimes they dont always work
also put the club in ur car or any other noticeable device that will ward off robbers
and also park by well ligthened areas.
i have a 2k3 red coupe - i hope she doesnt get taken away from me =(
Old 01-18-2004
Registered!!

ceddy is an unknown quantity at this point
sorry for the misspelled words =)
Old 01-18-2004
Bone Stock!

dalaw is an unknown quantity at this point
My parent's 91 Camry was broken into like 10 years ago and the thief took our jar of coins and a bag of oranges, stupid hungry thief. Oh btw, the newer Civics have an anti theft device on the stock stereo unit that requires you to enter a secret code if that thing was unplugged.
Old 01-18-2004
Registered!!

speedster is an unknown quantity at this point
I think that's only on the canadian models, the security code on the radio.
Old 01-18-2004
Jspek Inspired

aznstylez254 is an unknown quantity at this point
no thats on the all civics i believe, because when my battery died i had to input a code to get my cd player to work.
Old 01-18-2004
Registered!!

speedster is an unknown quantity at this point
Mine wasn't like that. I disconnected my battery once when I had my original radio in and I didn't have to enter a code. I'm not calling you a liar or anything, but just saying mine wasn't like that.
Old 01-18-2004
Registered!!

honda04civic is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a code on mine, so maybe its like 02+ or 03+ dunno.... but I hope to never get mine broken into .... Need to buy an alarm and a backup battery
Old 01-18-2004
Registered!!

hankscorpio is an unknown quantity at this point
Well I have an 01 and it needs the code, maybe you just didn't disconnect the battery for too long.
Old 01-18-2004
Registered!!

whitebread is an unknown quantity at this point
Yea man. I had to disconnect my battery to install my intake and when i reconnected the wires the stereo required the code.
Old 01-18-2004
Registered!!

hondaciv01 is an unknown quantity at this point
i heard integra's were the most stolen vehicles countrywide, i dunno if thats true though
Old 01-18-2004
Registered!!

INCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
i have an 03 ex and it needed a code also.
Old 01-18-2004
98% of people will die in their lifetime
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

EnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questioned
i think civics and integras are top 2. civics for their parts, integras for their parts and engines.
Old 01-18-2004
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bellz has a spectacular aura aboutBellz has a spectacular aura about
I found this on several websites. Very interesting read.

Most Stolen Vehicles for 2002
* Toyota Camry
* Honda Accord
* Honda Civic
* Oldsmobile Cutlass
* Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee
* Chevrolet Full-SizeC/K pickup
* Toyota Corolla
* Ford Taurus
* Chevrolet Caprice
* Ford F150 pickup

Specific year models:
1989 Toyota Camry
1991 Toyota Camry
1990 Toyota Camry
2000 Honda Civic Si
1994 Honda Accord EX
1994 Chevrolet C1500 4X2
1995 Honda Accord EX
1988 Toyota Camry
1994 Honda Accord LX
1996 Honda Accord LX

The Areas With The Highest Levels Of Car Thefts

Another important factor for car theft numbers is the region in which you live. Thieves tend to target large metropolitan areas that are near ports or borders, in order to easily (illegally) export the car's parts. The NICB's top ten list of U.S. metropolitan areas with the highest vehicle theft rates in 2002 is as follows:
1. Phoenix, AZ
2. Fresno, CA
3. Modesto, CA
4. Stockton-Lodi, CA
5. Las Vegas, NV
6. Miami, FL
7. Sacramento, CA
8. Oakland, CA
9. Seattle, WA
10. Tacoma, WA
Old 01-18-2004
HISPAnIC CAUSIn PAnIC

sadboy916 is an unknown quantity at this point
damn my city is on that list but our cars are easy to steal i have broke into my own car before so...
Old 01-18-2004
I can resist everything except temptation.

ffokuf is a jewel in the roughffokuf is a jewel in the roughffokuf is a jewel in the rough
Its sad that out of all of the **** in the world to worry about, we have to worry about some ***********' stealing our civics. I think every person that breaks into or steals a civic, sould get run over by one. That is the guilty penalty! lol . . .
Old 01-18-2004
Registered!!

kileryoyo is an unknown quantity at this point
I looked up the radio code topic in the manual and it say its Ex models only in the USA, but Lx, Si, and Sir in canada.
Old 01-18-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
I can steal the newer civic center console and radio in under 10 seconds Not hard at all. Stupid Honda has the worst security.
Old 01-18-2004
Registered!!

SilverH is an unknown quantity at this point
All you need is a wire hanger and a screw driver and you can steal anything off the interior of a civic
Old 01-18-2004
Registered!!

Originally posted by gearbox
I can steal the newer civic center console and radio in under 10 seconds Not hard at all. Stupid Honda has the worst security.
i kinda wish the idiots that tried to take my stereo were that good. at least i won't have to pay to replace the entire console. these guys were freakin stupid or something cause they left it in pieces. the 3 ***** for a/c, the 3 buttons for rear defrost, a/c, and that other one, the hazard light switch, they were all in one piece each (3 total) and then the vents were all over the front seat. the stereo, still where it always is. the bastards didn't even have the skill to take it out, much less take it out neatly.

i think there should be a kind of Deathrace2000 (David Carradine, Sly Stallone....i'm sure some of you guys have seen this classic) and just run over all the car thieves.

Last edited by gatch; 01-18-2004 at 11:22 PM.
Old 01-18-2004
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Thieves suck so much. Noone better try and break into my car.

And when I say under 10 seconds to steal the entire center piece with deck inside, I mean unplugging everything neatly. All you need is a common tool and your fingers. I can't believe they ripped apart your dash to get at it. Some of those theives are incredibly stupid.
Old 01-18-2004
Premium Member

There are things you can do from the inside to prevent them from just pulling it out like that.
Old 01-19-2004
Bone Stock!

dalaw is an unknown quantity at this point
If you don't have the flashing red light labeled "anti-theft" on your stock stereo, then you don't have the anti-theft feature.
Old 01-19-2004
Registered!!

berettagtz117 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thats why my insurance is so high because my insurance agent told me that they are one of the top 5 cars stolen in the US. Damn thieves let me catch one of them one day, they will never be able to eat with their mouth again!!!*******
Old 01-19-2004
Registered!!

the red light was blinking....but that's really not going to stop them in the wee-hours of the morning.
Old 01-19-2004
Proud Srt4 owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BoostedCivicZex can only hope to improve
i keep my car garaged and would never park it in the street so i dont have to worry about some co*ksucker trying to steal my car