General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

*UPDATED AGAIN* SRT-4's Falling apart before 10,000 miles!! *UPDATED*

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
APME123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
DAMN, I think I Started a little flame war!!! (Laughing with an EVIL Grin on my face)

damn this Thread has a lot of views!!
Old 12-05-2003
Registered!!

philliesblunt420 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Khryz
Oh **** man, you are funny!

First off, I am glad some of the SRT-4 guys chimmed in to give some civilized facts about the SRT-4 that maybe most of the members of the forum weren't aware of. I completely understand that. However, the way you bashed the car without knowing the full story was wrong, and you know that. I mean, a powerful, turbocharged 1st year car, having clutch wear problems. What else is new? Mopar Stage 1 encourages power-shifting, and since this car is rather cheap, and easy to be attained by inexperienced teenagers, they might not be familiar with 5-speed and cause the problems, just like ANY car if pushed. Prove me wrong?

In all honesty, go the SRTForums, and off the top of my head, I don't remember seeing a thread dedicated to bashing a particular car. And if there was one, I can guarantee the regulars put them in their place for that.

I'm sure this entire board is filled with true car enthusiasts deep down. Be proud of your car! I own a Neon. Yup. Did I studder? I like the way it drives, I like the way it looks, and I don't care what people say. I am proud I have a Neon.

- Chris.
I'm not hatin on you I just think dodge made a big mistake putting the srt-4 into production under the dated/dying neon bodystyle. I personally, have never cared for neons and probably never will, again…my opinion. I’m glad you like your car and hope it works out for the best.

Last edited by CarbonFly; 12-05-2003 at 05:48 PM.
Old 12-05-2003
Registered!!

Khryz is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by philliesblunt420
I'm not hatin on you I just think dodge made a big mistake putting the srt-4 into production under the dated/dying neon bodystyle. I personally, have never cared for neons and probably never will, again…my opinion. I’m glad you like your car and hope it works out for the best.
How was it a big mistake? Not like nobody bought it.

Also, I respect your opinion, just like I have mine. Btw, how 'bout that Yankee trade? Lol.
Old 12-05-2003
Banned

HustleLikeMOFO is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by philliesblunt420
bwahahaha
isn't that ironic? maybe you should take your own advice....
be quiet and accept that you paid 20k for a peice of ****
bwahahaha
^^^ funniest freakin thing i ever heard
Old 12-05-2003
Registered!!

Elite is an unknown quantity at this point
All I care about is that I paid 15k for my car because its reliable I'll pay another 3500 for sf turbo kit and smoke an srt-4 anyday, and my car will be reliable, and will not break down in the 1/4 mile like I saw in fontana speedway, and I'll still be spending less than you and have some money in my pocket
Old 12-05-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

CivicHX01 is an unknown quantity at this point
since when was a Civic $20k?
Old 12-05-2003
Registered!!

^ what he said
Old 12-05-2003
Registered!!

philliesblunt420 is an unknown quantity at this point
uhhh....fly?
why was my last post edited?
Old 12-05-2003
Registered!!

NickDaMans02Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
HAHA a neon with a turbo LOL yeah thats just asking for problems but yeah Honda isn't too worried about a turbo, they make lots off the civic as it is now.
Old 12-05-2003
Premium Member

CivicHX01 is an unknown quantity at this point
"I love my Honda like I love my ganja"

i dunno why... but this thread makes me think of that song... lolz
Old 12-05-2003
O RLY

S2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by Khryz
How was it a big mistake? Not like nobody bought it.

Also, I respect your opinion, just like I have mine. Btw, how 'bout that Yankee trade? Lol.
Just adding to the post you quoted.

I think that it was a big mistake of dodge to make the neon their new turbo coupe.

It's an old, long outlived, fading bodystyle. And no offense but neons were never exactly known for being quick or "sporty". And also probably looked at as more of a chick car.

It's simply not a respected car by many in the sport compact car world. Albeit, it did well in auto-x, it didn't gain enough popular face time there to be taken seriously.

I think dodge would have been far better off introducing it on a new platform. Are they selling SRT4's? Yes. But is the car all that it could have been? No. There would be better acceptance among the sport compact crowd had the car been a new platform.
Old 12-06-2003
Registered!!

Alex1 has a spectacular aura aboutAlex1 has a spectacular aura aboutAlex1 has a spectacular aura about
You know the EVO's have the same problem with their clutches going out early too. You see what happens when an American company is put together with a Japanese company, they bring the Japanese company down with them lol.
Old 12-06-2003
Registered!!

JayFReaZy will become famous soon enough
lol, those guys at the SRT forums are really getting mad we started a thread about this. I think its pretty funny. All they are basically saying is "my car is faster than yours" and "0wned" lol. Personally, I could careless if their car is faster than mine, I know my car is slow...its a civic. But, I rather have a better looking car thats slow, than a car that looks nasty thats fast. Oh, plus the tranny doesnt **** up before 10,000 miles . Plus, we ALLLL know our cars will last longer than theirs. Just look on the road, how many 91+ vics do you see? I see a ton everyday, more than 7 gens. Then, look around and see how many older neons there are out there, not too many...
Old 12-06-2003
207 Mod is 10-8

kyle4583 is just really nicekyle4583 is just really nicekyle4583 is just really nicekyle4583 is just really nice
its still a neon

Last edited by kyle4583; 12-06-2003 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-06-2003
Registered!!

they just appreciating that they can go fast but nothing else. end of story, it is true you dont see any 91 neons out there lol I dont think i've seen 96 or lower
Old 12-06-2003
Registered!!

idriveansrt-4 is an unknown quantity at this point
thats because they were made from 95-99.... and the 2nd gen 2000 and up

Last edited by idriveansrt-4; 12-06-2003 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-06-2003
Pimp Juice Distributor

Location: Dallas, Tx but now Virginia Beach, VA 'cause of job...
SeCosCiV is an unknown quantity at this point
Ehhh...Dodge, dodge dodge

Honda, honda, honda...

You know what it all comes down to? YOU!!! I am happy with MY civic just like I'm sure SRT owners are happy with their cars. I dont race at all but I dont knock those that do. All cars have problems, what is the big deal? Threads that try to make our car seem better than everyone elses doesnt make them look stupid, it makes us look stupid. And I are not much very stupid so lets just concentrate on our cars and stop these "my car is better because" threads.
Old 12-06-2003
Registered!!

well said
Old 12-06-2003
Banned

e_mcdiddy is an unknown quantity at this point
srt-4 clutch problem

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/sho...?threadid=14078

Didn't I say that these cars are just shitty neons!!

it seems the only bad thing about the srt-4 is the clutch, so go spend like $200 on a better clutch and the problem is solved - it doesn't mean the SRT-4 sucks. And all cars have problems in their first year of release - I mean look at the new Civic SI - it looks like a minivan, and it's way too slow for the price you pay - I'd rather pay $20k for 215hp in a neon than pay $20k for an ugly minivan with 160hp. There's no point in trash-talking the srt-4, because for the price you pay, you get a MUCH better car. Granted I still love my accord, but I'm not so closed-minded to know that the SRT-4 is probably the best bang for the buck under $25k. anyway - that's my $.02
Old 12-06-2003
Registered!!

were basically the same in both ways, were slow they are not, we have depedability they dont, its also a neon, slap a sf turbo on my car and lets see whos talking
Old 12-06-2003
207 Mod is 10-8

kyle4583 is just really nicekyle4583 is just really nicekyle4583 is just really nicekyle4583 is just really nice
link doesnt work
Old 12-06-2003
Registered!!

apparently there seem to be some true car enthuthiasts on this site therefore i will remove the image i attached earlier, that is not the type of person iam. iam actually in the performance parts industries. ( in charge of marketing) for a certain company that i would not mention who. i however love any car that some one put their time and effort and enjoy driving. i have no problems with hondas nissan or whatever. i do have many friends in my area that drive hondas and other imports. not evryone has the same opinions about 1 particular car.. to the guy that posted the picture of the wrecked srt-4, very clever, just think about the person that may have gotten hurt or even killed in that car...
Old 12-06-2003
O RLY

S2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to behold
i'm thus far glad that the neon owners who have posted here have shown an ability to withold flaming. it is nice to see members outside of what seems to be the majority over at srtforums.com, which is snot nosed punks who seem to think thier **** dont stink. the members that have posted here though, have been decent thus far.

unfortunately I cannot say the same for some civic owners here. Let's keep the argument to the point and avoid the name calling and personal shots. there is no point in saying "well my car is faster". "well my car is good looking". etc, etc.
Old 12-06-2003
Registered!!

smoger is an unknown quantity at this point
hey everyone,.. I'm from srtforums. I wasn't going to respond on here because I realize some people are just close minded and arent going to change their minds no matter how much reason is thrown at them, but some of the comments made here are just uncalled for. To the car enthusiasts who have posted, this is not directed at you. To the Honda fan-boys.. read on..

#1. Comparing your Civics to our SRT-4's is like comparing an SUV to a top fuel dragster. They have different purposes for being, and they are not competition for each other. The SRT-4 is a performance vehicle. The Civic is a commuter car. So of course the SRT-4 is going to be faster.

#2. If you take a look at our forums, dependability with the SRT-4 is no worse than the majority of cars on the road. There have been very few major problems, and Dodge has been more than helpful in getting those people back on the road.

The clutch problem spoken of was attributed to a manufacturing defect in a run of the clutches. Dodge has replaced those clutches with the new unit and the problem is fixed completely in 04 as far as I've heard.

#3. A few people keep saying "its just a neon". Ok,.. and a WRX STI is JUST an Impreza and an EVO is JUST a LANCER. Whats your point? Furthermore, the Neon has had a huge background in AutoX and road racing since is release in '95.. so whats so humiliating about that? Not bad for a grocery getter I say..

#4. Shitty Interior? Whats so great about the interior in a Civic? I'm confused? I'll take this point further by saying that having a fancy interior is important in LUXURY cars, not performance oriented ones. Hell, STI's don't even come standard with a radio..

And to the user "Elite": whats a sf turbo? I'm intrigued to know what will add over 140whp and what,.. 160ft lb's of torque to a 1.6(?)l engine in order for it to be close to keeping up with the srt-4. And it does all that for $3500 bucks I think you said? Damn good deal. Don't forget you're going to need to beef up your fuel system and transmission, get wider wheels and performance tires, and upgrade your suspension so you can use that power and keep it on the ground.

Anyway, I hope I didn't offend anyone.. just trying to throw some facts out there.

Oh and don't mind the immature post from "dymondboy" he's just a youngin' who was lucky enough to have an SRT-4 given to him.(sorry to call you out like that dymond but you make us all look bad when you say things like that)
Old 12-06-2003
Registered!!

sf turbo is a stafford fabrications turbo a guy named catalyst has gotten 13.6 stage 1 I believe and he now has stage 2 turbo on his car, with some headwork he is running 12's dh-racing built a 700+ hp b16 all motor its 160hp, supposedly catalyst took out a c5 vette on 5 psi, and with his stage 1 turbo he took out a wrx on 5 psi and our stock internals can handle up to 9 on ex's by far this is the best turbo out for our cars on my opinion
Old 12-06-2003
Registered!!

im just saying both our cars suck without FI
oh here's the thread
http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...ght=time+slips

Originaly Posted by Catalyst
I took out an WRX on 5 psi. There were 3 SRT-4's at the track today, and they were running 14.6 1/4 miles. I was a full second faster than them.

Last edited by Elite; 12-06-2003 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-06-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by S2000man01
Just adding to the post you quoted.

I think that it was a big mistake of dodge to make the neon their new turbo coupe.

there hasnt been a neon coupe made in the past 4 model years

It's an old, long outlived, fading bodystyle.
4 model years isnt all that old i'd say..

And no offense but neons were never exactly known for being quick or "sporty". And also probably looked at as more of a chick car.

It's simply not a respected car by many in the sport compact car world. Albeit, it did well in auto-x, it didn't gain enough popular face time there to be taken seriously.
i'd like to remind you that you guys are comparing the srt-4 to a CIVIC[like i said in my other post thats dumb anyway] ..BUT LETS compare the neon to the civic for a moment.. if the neon is not sporty, neither is the civic. the neon offers 130hp in base trim.. civic offers.. 120(??) . neon r/t = 150hp and I'm sure it can keep up with a civic si. and a Neon ACR will hand any civic it's *** on a road course or autocross.

I think dodge would have been far better off introducing it on a new platform. Are they selling SRT4's? Yes. But is the car all that it could have been? No. There would be better acceptance among the sport compact crowd had the car been a new platform.
the point is that it doesnt matter if the car gets acceptance or not. we drive it because its fun. Domestic car guys dont like us because our car doesnt have enough cylinders, and import guys dont like us because its a Domestic,.. so where do we stand? We're kinda out here in limbo.. oh well. ..besides im not sure if you are entirely right about the srt not being accepted.. it DID get the sport compact car of the year award afterall..

furthermore the SRT-4 is limited production(I'm not sure if you are aware of that) and will most likely be discontinued after 2005 when the neon is changed[rumor has it that the next neon will be based on the lancer platform] so whats the point of waiting?
Old 12-06-2003
Registered!!

oh btw that 13.6 is uncorrected time his corrected time would have been 13.215 @ 104.94 MPH
Old 12-06-2003
Registered!!

wow 200ft lbs of torque is crazy for a honda.. very uncommon as far as ive seen. that looks like a quality peice but as for reliability, that guy was having all kinds of problems, and its HIS peice. also, the last post was made 3 months ago so what happened? and does the kit include that FMIC? doubt it for 3500..
Old 12-06-2003
I wish I was asian

cambo has a spectacular aura aboutcambo has a spectacular aura about
SF Turbo Kit

Stage 1:
It includes the following parts.....

equal length manifold
intercooler
intercooler piping (powdercoated to any color you like)
downpipe
Garrett T3 turbo
oil lines
oil fittings
MAP sensor isolation valve
Fuel system
couplers/clamps/misc. parts
BOV

The EX kit makes 183 whp and 189 ft/lbs at 8 psi

then there is stage 2 and soon to be stage 3 i believe.

Alcohol Injection is an upgrade to allow up to 12 PSI of boost.
Cost for alcohol injection is $100.

so yes...its very affordable and so far, VERY reliable. Catylst works for SF turbo and his car is the guinea pig for everything they do, so yes..his car isnt as reliable as the kits they make for everyone else.

Last edited by cambo; 12-06-2003 at 01:25 PM.

Quick Reply: *UPDATED AGAIN* SRT-4's Falling apart before 10,000 miles!! *UPDATED*