General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

*UPDATED AGAIN* SRT-4's Falling apart before 10,000 miles!! *UPDATED*

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003
2003 Nissan Frontier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cryption should not be trusted
Turbos aren't Dodge's niche really. They've always been about Big Block power, take the Hemi, so Turbos are just new to them.
Old 12-04-2003
Registered!!

Elite is an unknown quantity at this point
you know what when I went to fontana speedway in california 2 srt-4's broke down before the 1/4 mile
Old 12-04-2003
2003 Nissan Frontier

cryption should not be trusted
im gonna go watch that Vtec Cobra video ... thats funny ... seems fitting
Old 12-04-2003
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Any one who says the SRT-4 isn’t a Neon is lying to them selves (And buying in to Dodges marketing ploy). It’s a Neon Chassis with a different engine. As far as racing.... Neons surprisingly have a long history in racing, just not in Drag racing. Their street quality is questionable but their road-racing heritage isn’t. Unfortunately with dodge they seem to have veered away from that long Road racing Heritage with the SRT-4 and built a car designed to go fast in a straight line...... I don’t really care much for going fast in a straight line personally. So the SRT-4 doesn’t impress me much.
Old 12-04-2003
Post Whore General

Jodster is a jewel in the roughJodster is a jewel in the roughJodster is a jewel in the roughJodster is a jewel in the rough
Turbos are not new to Dodge. What about the Daytona? And what about the turbo diesels.
Old 12-04-2003
Tell me what you don't like about yourself....

CarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to all
Originally posted by nynezilla
yeah but our cars are not built with turbos, so if we get problems with it it would be our fault. dodge did build theirs with turbo so they should have anticipated and gone the distance to prevent it so soon.that's what i think he meant.

p.s. my car rules.
Yea well what these aren't telling you is how much they increased their boost, other mods, etc to their car. Also, you are paying 20K for a turboed car that can beat the expensive Evo's and Sti's. I don't think I would be sweating the fact that I would have to shell out another $500 for a better clutch.

What is so great about your stock car? You don't have anything original or custom work done. You have such such nice quality american parts like DC Sports on your Japanese engineered car.
Old 12-04-2003
Jam out with your clam out.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
abmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questioned
lol. take that biotch.
Old 12-04-2003
I like ruining your threads.

NoFriends is a name known to allNoFriends is a name known to allNoFriends is a name known to allNoFriends is a name known to allNoFriends is a name known to allNoFriends is a name known to allNoFriends is a name known to allNoFriends is a name known to all
Its cliche' in the auto world but...

Fast & Reliable isn't Cheap <--- Skyline, Z06, Supra, etc....
Fast & Cheap isn't Reliable <--- SRT4
Reliable & Cheap isn't Fast <--- Civic
Old 12-04-2003
n00b

aetobatus is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by NoFriends
Its cliche' in the auto world but...

Fast & Reliable isn't Cheap <--- Skyline, Z06, Supra, etc....
Fast & Cheap isn't Reliable <--- SRT4
Reliable & Cheap isn't Fast <--- Civic
dayuuum right!
Old 12-04-2003
Registered!!

sandgrencivic is an unknown quantity at this point
give it a rest on the Neon. We know it is a piece, so that is that
Old 12-04-2003
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
actually, fast and cheap... WRX wouldnt be bad... neither is Sentra SE-R.... I mean, it does depend on what you feel is "fast", but those arent bad for the price, and those are reliable cars as well
Old 12-04-2003
Banned

HustleLikeMOFO is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by APME123
learn to spell VTEC

i will try to learn
Old 12-04-2003
Registered!!

Silversleeper is an unknown quantity at this point
Im gona have to side with Fly and the rest of the people that think that you guys are just a tad bit jealous. Of only the speed of the cars of course. But dont you all remember the Dodge Omni/Shelby GLHS? That thing was a monster in the 80's. I want to buy one still, cuz I think they are cool cars. Iron block + turbo = . They have one kink, its the clutch, big deal, we have had severall issues with our cars as well. I believe we have come to a time in life where the world and all its mid class automakers have reached a level, where everyone is about even. Dont be afraid to admit it.
Old 12-04-2003
Registered!!

Location: Edwardsburg, Elkhart, Granger, Mishawka, South Bend
Snakey is an unknown quantity at this point
well figure each car for that first 10,000 miles had the **** beat out of it.. and yeah.. a clutch will go bad... one of my neighbor's just picked his up the other day.. i dont talk to him at all.. but once the sf kit arrives at my doorstep and is in the car you can bet your momma's sweet a** i will be talking to him...
Old 12-04-2003
Registered!!

NaHoOnEyYa is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Sickboy
My money will never go to a Dodge.
i dunno...i thought the same before...until my dad got the HEMI....gosh..i love driving his truck!

YEAH ITS GOTTA HEMI
Old 12-04-2003
Registered!!

BigFrank is an unknown quantity at this point
all this bashing of the neon did anyone care to take the time maybe its not always the cars fault as much as the drivers. i had 2 friends one with a prelude sh adn one with a eclipse rs. stpe on there cars all the time adn anyone with vtec knows vtec just demolishes oil. they both forgot to change or atleast refill oil and there motors blew. eclipse dont have vtec but was still drivers fault. what im trying to say is.....are we sure its the neon....and not just a bunch of bad drivers?
Old 12-05-2003
Registered!!

sandgrencivic is an unknown quantity at this point
It is the neon, however people are making it worse than it is. They just need a beefed up clutch and would be fine.
Old 12-05-2003
Premium Member

CivicHX01 is an unknown quantity at this point
clutches wear out... big deal... and yes i am jealous of the SRT-4 guys because they are faster... but oh well, i don't go to the track everyday....

what i do, however, is a lot of daily driving which is why i love getting 40mpg on my HX
Old 12-05-2003

kingj07 is an unknown quantity at this point
most of you guys are really cracking me up (an srt-4 owner/driver).
first thing of all ive driven 100s of neons (as a dodge employee) and the srt-4 is not one.
second thing is that i would never buy a slow car and try to make it fast or even worse, try to make it LOOK fast... seeya in the rear view. good night.
Old 12-05-2003
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
^^^ Noob

I'm not flaming or anything.... but like the SRT-4...... I would consider the Lancer Evo as..... a LANCER with a hyped up engine. But the thing is, Evo has a few more things that distinguish it as Evo and not just a Lancer besides sheer power and looks. But the SRT-4..... is just (in my opinion), a powerful NEON.....

Last edited by CuRiOuSfIsH; 12-05-2003 at 09:00 AM.
Old 12-05-2003
Registered!!

idriveansrt-4 is an unknown quantity at this point
I love reading threads like this, it just makes me even prouder of owning an srt-4, maybe is just the level of maturity.. Ok now to back to the topic I have 12,980 miles on my srt-4 have lots of mods still have the stock clutch and have yet to have any problems.
Any car can have problem it does not matter what it is...

13.6 @ 109 MPH

psi-fi piggyback, agp wastegate, turbo xs mbc, turbo xs rfl bov, 180 degree thermostat, ipp cold air intake, 3 bar map sensor, ipp carbon fiber hood, ipp m3 style mirrors, hks type 1 turbo timer, afx strut bar, afx tourqe arm, screaming demond coilpack, crane 8.5 mm fire wires, booger bushings, stage 1 upgrade,mopar short throw shifter.
Old 12-05-2003
x-factor

prototype is on a distinguished road
ITS A DODGE...WHAT DO U EXPECT
Old 12-05-2003
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by idriveansrt-4
I love reading threads like this, it just makes me even prouder of owning an srt-4, maybe is just the level of maturity.. Ok now to back to the topic I have 12,980 miles on my srt-4 have lots of mods still have the stock clutch and have yet to have any problems.
Any car can have problem it does not matter what it is...

13.6 @ 109 MPH

psi-fi piggyback, agp wastegate, turbo xs mbc, turbo xs rfl bov, 180 degree thermostat, ipp cold air intake, 3 bar map sensor, ipp carbon fiber hood, ipp m3 style mirrors, hks type 1 turbo timer, afx strut bar, afx tourqe arm, screaming demond coilpack, crane 8.5 mm fire wires, booger bushings, stage 1 upgrade,mopar short throw shifter.

Good for you, I'm not sure what level of maturity you're talking about (all of the SRT-4 owners I've met have been Teenaged Punks), but i'm sure you're happy with what you have. Personally I don't see whats all the big deal with the SRT-4. So you can do the 1/4 mile in 13.6, woo hoo. I have yet to be beaten by any of the SRT-4s that have come racing with me. the closest one was half a second slower... and I'm driveing a "Slow" 127 HP civc. Do I Race in a straight line, No. I do autocross, Ya know where you have to konw how to use the steering wheel rather then just the gas pedal. I feel that Dodge missed the boat with the Neon SRT-4. They had a good race chassis with the Neon ACR, but abandoned it to sell neons to the Teen street racer market.
Old 12-05-2003
Premium Member

CivicHX01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Zzyzx
Good for you, I'm not sure what level of maturity you're talking about (all of the SRT-4 owners I've met have been Teenaged Punks), but i'm sure you're happy with what you have. Personally I don't see whats all the big deal with the SRT-4. So you can do the 1/4 mile in 13.6, woo hoo. I have yet to be beaten by any of the SRT-4s that have come racing with me. the closest one was half a second slower... and I'm driveing a "Slow" 127 HP civc. Do I Race in a straight line, No. I do autocross, Ya know where you have to konw how to use the steering wheel rather then just the gas pedal. I feel that Dodge missed the boat with the Neon SRT-4. They had a good race chassis with the Neon ACR, but abandoned it to sell neons to the Teen street racer market.
well put...

i myself like to use the steering wheel as well... its just more fun and interesting...

my friend's TT MKIV supra wouldn't be able to keep up with me in the canyons... however, it is a beast when it comes to the straight line/highway...

Dodge certainly accomplished what they wanted to... "sell neons to the Teen street racer market."
Old 12-05-2003
Registered!!

drizze99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow, I'm amazed at some of the ignorance on this board. Some of you guys talk like your driving a damn Ferrari.

Yes some of the 03's are having clutch problems. Some of the problems are stemming from a bad batch of cars coming off the assembly line and some of the problems are from people power shifting at the track. Any first year car is going to have some issues and I don't even care who makes it. Yes, that's right, your precious littles Honda's have had problems in the past as well.

For some of you (haters), your posts reek of jealousy. TRUE car entusiasts love all cars and understand that there is ALWAYS going to be something faster made. And some of you need to do some homework before you do your car bashing, because you sound like idiots. Turbo's new to Dodge?? I don't think so. There were PLENTY of turbo Dodges in the 80's. Honda doesn't make turbo's??? You don't see them in the US, but Japan has plenty of "off the assembly line turbo's." Just because you don't see them, doesn't mean they don't exist. Yes, the SRT-4 is a neon and that is not a bad thing. Look at the neon auto-x history and then tell me it's bad.... I don't think you will. The car shares many characteristics of the neon, but the the important stuff (engine, drivetrain & suspension) have ALL been re-engineered. The motor alone can hold a soild 20psi with stock internals if properly tuned right. The was an article in SCC that completely broke down the engine and they were overly impressed with because it is over engineered. I'm not trying to change anyone's opinions, I'm just trying to educate you a little so you don't sound stupid when you are spouting your hatered.

Oh and Nick (dude from pg. 1), it would be real mature of you to come to our forum and bash our cars.
Old 12-05-2003
Autocross Junky

There is no doubt that the Neon has had a long history in racing, which climaxed with the ACR. Dodge seems to have pulled a 180 and gone form Road racing to Drag racing with the SRT-4. I dont care much for drag racing so the SRT-4 dosnt impress me. now if the SRT-4 had all the Go fast parts as the ACR, then that would have impresed me. But it dosn't.

For those who dont konw what the ACR had:
it weighed a whole 2320 LBS, had 14X6 inch wheels (Wide is good)
it came with Koni adjustible shocks Stock, had Adjustible Camber on the front Stock! Basically it was built for road racing and it was very good at it.
Old 12-05-2003
Registered!!

MoparSponsoRed is an unknown quantity at this point
First off, I'm not coming here to bash, just set things straight. I'd be willing to be 99% of the people bashing the SRT-4 haven't driven or had a ride in one. You'd feel much different if you did.

Secondly, it's not just a more powerful neon. Engine is different, transmission is different, suspension is different styling is different, etc.

Third, if there are any real Car Enthusiasts in this forum you would know of a little race called the One Lap of America. Why don't you look up the results of the 2003 events. Then come back and tell me that the SRT-4 can't handle.

Saying you don't like it, I can understand that. But saying you don't like it and not giving a good reason, that's just garbage. It's a piece of crap compared to your Civic's because of what? Interior? The name Neon? Not sure if you realize this, but you guys drive Civic's. Not much better than the lowly Neon as you say.
Old 12-05-2003
JDM-Jonathan David Martin- I own everybody

topnotch7gen is on a distinguished road
It's funny how you have an srt-4 and its got all of these "HUGE MOD'S "done and it only runs a 13.6!!!haha My friends is stock and it ran a 13.8 at the track!!! Oh yeah I forgot its lowered!
Old 12-05-2003
Registered!!

idriveansrt-4 is an unknown quantity at this point
look you idiot, did you notice my trap speed.. do you know anything about drag racing,, gee there is something out there called too much power and no traction. drag radials will fix that
Old 12-05-2003
JDM-Jonathan David Martin- I own everybody

topnotch7gen is on a distinguished road
I'm not hating on srt-4's because I think they are really great cars but "ihaveansrt-4" thinks his is badass becuase he ran a 13.6 with mods!

Quick Reply: *UPDATED AGAIN* SRT-4's Falling apart before 10,000 miles!! *UPDATED*