General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

any undecisive car shoppers out there

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003
The Woman Who Gave Birth to Rabbits. As seen on TV by QBoi.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kadenx is a jewel in the roughKadenx is a jewel in the roughKadenx is a jewel in the rough
any undecisive car shoppers out there

well, I think that I have been bouncin back and forth on my next purchse and there really isnt
anything that is an obvious choice. Im looking in the under $35,000 and there are so many to choose from. From the rx-8 to the tsx.....they all have their high's and low's. I know that the tsx and rx-8 are completly diff target markets but Im looking in every market. I want a car that has it all.....reliability, performance, comfort, luxury, styling and more that I cant think of...
I got to have a 4 seat (not necassarily a 4 door) otherwise the s2000 would have been my choice. Ive driven the wrx and not impressed but then theres a wrx-sti thats supposed to be awesome but not that comfortable....the tsx is luxury and comfort (with small defects and rattles) but lacks in the performance tho not by much....the g35 has it all but in all actuality, it ends up being in like the "closer to 40's" range. The rsx and rx-8 are nice but small and I wouldnt trust my son in an srt4. It seems that I am driving my wife nuts with my indecisiveness.... I want a nice car but I have to modify it to make it different.....(I dont like having a car that looks like everyone elses) Do I need a shrink more than a car or is anyone else experiencing this dilemma..... maybe I should just get a late 90's hatchback and put a couple of g's under the hood and hope to be happy.....My wife wants me to get an entry-luxury but expects me to keep it stock.
Old 11-10-2003
Banned

HustleLikeMOFO is an unknown quantity at this point
What about the new Acura TL? I think they are around 33k and it has eveything you'r looking for. My sister has a 2002 TL Type S (last years model) and that car is fast as hell, you would be surprised.... (Plus IMO it looks hot as hell)

Lexus IS300 is also around 30k and that car.... well there isnt much to say about it.

If I had 30-35K to blow on a car I would definatly be chekcing out those 2 candidates.
Old 11-10-2003
Registered!!

INCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
have you ruled out v8's?
Old 11-10-2003

Kadenx is a jewel in the roughKadenx is a jewel in the roughKadenx is a jewel in the rough
yeah, ive looked into the is 300 which are nice cars and have most of what the others have, however, something doesnt sit right with me about it. Ive done the v8 think and those days are over.....v8 firebird, impala, caprice.....The TL is a nice car but the six spd nav puts it over into the 37 range and 35 is my cutoff but yeah its hella nice and roomy
Old 11-10-2003
No Title

maxsin is an unknown quantity at this point
nissan 350z, nice cars. are they just a two seater?
Old 11-10-2003
Banned

HustleLikeMOFO is an unknown quantity at this point
hmmm, do you want to buy a 2004?
Old 11-10-2003

i would like to purchase an 04 for a full warranty.....
Old 11-10-2003
PJG
Registered!!

PJG is an unknown quantity at this point
Nissan Maxima, Altima, IS300, TSX, TL, G35 are all great picks!

Pat
Old 11-10-2003
Bodacious Member

jwalker87 is an unknown quantity at this point
if I had $35,000 for a new car, I would get the rx-8. Hands down. I love rotary. 9,000 RPM redline, and it gets there very willingly. mmmmmm. Can't wait till I graduate from high school so that I can graduate from college, get a job, and buy an rx-8. Then turbo it .
Old 11-10-2003

Originally posted by jwalker87
if I had $35,000 for a new car, I would get the rx-8. Hands down. I love rotary. 9,000 RPM redline, and it gets there very willingly. mmmmmm. Can't wait till I graduate from high school so that I can graduate from college, get a job, and buy an rx-8. Then turbo it .
i was looking at the rx-8 for a short time and came to the conclusion that the backseat may not be big enough for a child seat.....right now I have a solara which is a fairly large cpe and has ample room for the car seat....like to try to stick with that size... and yes the 350, maxima, altima, etc are all good cars which make my decision so hard....
Old 11-10-2003
Registered!!

slicksivik will become famous soon enoughslicksivik will become famous soon enough
solara, new one with that hotbody kit that it has in the commercial, that red car at night time, man, i want that car hahahaha
Old 11-10-2003
Hail to the king baby

kjgracing will become famous soon enoughkjgracing will become famous soon enough
I think I am going to go American Muscle in November 2004.
The new supercharged 400HP Mustang with new design will be out.
According to the whispers it will be around 33K!!
Old 11-10-2003
Bodacious Member

mustangs suck

just my $0.02
Old 11-10-2003
Registered!!

00celicagts6spd is an unknown quantity at this point
what about an evo or STI or something along those lines. Or even a supped up regular wrx?
Old 11-10-2003
Bodacious Member

mmmm, sti. those things are crazy. And they're sedans too. 300hp 4-banger is crazy for being from the factory. Handles like a charm too. I just read the review of it in Consumer Reports, and it was one of the 2 they reccommended.
Old 11-10-2003

hmm.....i mentioned it before but im not sure how comfortable they would be....guess the only way to find out would be to test drive one...
Old 11-10-2003
Bodacious Member

oh, and i forgot my favorite. This one, for me, is on par with the rx8. You could import a j-spec nissan skyline gtr r32. They run $30k to $35k, and they have copious amounts of power stock, and even more ready to be unleashed.
Old 11-10-2003
2003 Nissan Frontier

cryption should not be trusted
i like the mazda 6
Old 11-10-2003

Originally posted by jwalker87
oh, and i forgot my favorite. This one, for me, is on par with the rx8. You could import a j-spec nissan skyline gtr r32. They run $30k to $35k, and they have copious amounts of power stock, and even more ready to be unleashed.
If I could get an r33 for 35,000 or less....id be all over it!
so i guess im looking, ever so slightly, at the obvious choice......a regular wrx and just upgrade the turbo and crank the boost up later
Old 11-10-2003
Registered!!

InanimateCarbonRod will become famous soon enoughInanimateCarbonRod will become famous soon enough
G35 coupe or sedan? I think the sedan's are a bit less expensive than the coupe.
Old 11-10-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Out of curiousity... why only Japanese?
325i, A4... both look just incredible when pimped out. Its a totally different "style" but hell... they're both a blast to drive, I'd pick the Bimmer over the Audi, but then you gotta throw that into the mix with your other crap. I seriously wouldn't buy a low 30K sport sedan without driving a 3 series first... its the benchmark, and its with good reason.
It just sounds like you've got lots of sorting out to do.
Oh yeah... the new TLs are just awesome. My buddy's parent's just bought one. 270 HP moves that sucker pretty good. Just delete the Navi... use mapquest.com and a good ol' paper one instead.
Old 11-10-2003
Registered!!

Yukonart will become famous soon enough
Seriously, you need to try the STi. The ride is a bit more firm, but the seats are quite comfortable. Be warned, though. . . it's basically a street-legal rally car.

Add your own stereo, forget about the sunroof (can't get one on it) but you get SO MUCH for the money.

300 HP and 300 ft/lb torque . . . STOCK
AWD
HUGE Brembo brakes, front and rear
4 doors and a real trunk
Subarus are actually very reliable cars
Safe as hell
Insurance is very reasonable
Bulletproof tranny

The regular WRXs are also fine cars. . . more body styles, more options, just less power and fewer performance goodies come with it. I'm starting to love the wagons. . . . and I'll likely end up with a MY06 Legacy STi sedan or wagon (whichever they export to the USDM)

Many of the cars you listed were ones I considered and test drove before buying my STi. Hands-down, it's the most bang for the buck. It's fun to drive, very practical, and with only 3200 units coming to the US every year, it's guaranteed to turn heads from its limited production.
Old 11-10-2003
Registered!!

4Saris is an unknown quantity at this point
I like the G35 sedans as well.
As for car buying, I've have started a DIY that I will be updating nightly for the next week or so. The link is below.

Car Buying DIY- Best Practices
Old 11-10-2003
that little dude
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

slick will become famous soon enoughslick will become famous soon enough
G35 AWD starts at $32000 with leather, they should be nicely equiped at that price, there is no reason that the G35 should be closer to $40k.
thats the car i would go for if i had the money (the coupe actually, but the sedan is great to, and the AWD makes it more desireable).
Old 11-10-2003
Registered!!

devilvtec is an unknown quantity at this point
what about an evo?
Old 11-10-2003
PJG
Registered!!

PJG is an unknown quantity at this point
The RX-8 would actually be a piece of cake to put a child seat into, since it has the suicide doors, and for adult room back there: I did a Mazda ride and drive over the summer for the RX-8 and trust me, there is enough room in the rear seat. I am 6 foot 2 inches tall, and it was NOT AN ISSUE at all!!!! I was truly and honestly surprised!

Best of luck,
Pat
Old 11-10-2003
Bodacious Member

also try a used bmw m3. I have read several reviews that essentially say that this is the best car these guys have ever driven. New for likr $50k, so a used should be $35 easy.
Old 11-10-2003

well, for the bmw 3's and the a4's...ive heard that reliability is not all that great with them.....the evo's i heard are rusting pretty heavily and the awd g35 is one that completely slipped my mind. I would love to own an m3 but i need the warranty aspect. I guess if the m3 had little miles then it might have the warranty....the sti sounds great...Yukon: did you just go to the dealer and they let you take one out...they were telling me that only "the more serious buyers" get to drive it, like Im not a serious buyer.....I guess it was because i dont plan to purchase for another couple of months
Old 11-10-2003

PJG, i guess i really havnt given the rx8 a fair shot......maybe ill take one out for a spin this week.....thank you all for the info......
Old 11-10-2003
Registered!!

Yukonart will become famous soon enough
Your timeframe might come into play with the lackage of test driving. Here's something I would consider doing if I were in your shoes:

www.imprezawrxsti.com

There are locals to your area with STis whom I'm sure would love to take you for a ride (which for almost everyone who buys one is more than enough to convince them of the purchase). Get on the site and ask around.

I was in the rare position to actually test drive one that was fully broken-in at my local dealership. It was traded for a brand new one when a service attendant damamged a customer's car taking it into the service bay. The dealership is very cool with taking car of their customers like that. Anyway, it was all cosmetic damage, so I was allowed to take her for a spin.

HOLY ****. Within the first 15 seconds I was totally sold. Most of what I experienced could have been accomplished with a simple ride-along with a spirited driver. . . but I was actually at the wheel for this. Beyond the obvious lackage of some features, I found the car to be a solid performer, definite head-turner, and most certainly a big source for me smiling all the damn time, now.

Quick Reply: any undecisive car shoppers out there