General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NaHoOnEyYa is an unknown quantity at this point
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege

yeah...earlyer today i got to test drive one...gosh i love that car! I was suprised how the engine performed..it felt better then the 1.8T on the GTI...now..i was really temped to trade in my civic over the Mazdaspeed..! i got the price down to $17000 plus Tax..but dang..i just didn't have money! but the car was blast to drive! i would recomend the car to all of ya!
Old 11-08-2003
Lek
Registered!!

Lek is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeh! and just wait until the Mazda 3 comes. It's going to be the best car in it's class.
Old 11-08-2003
Registered!!

BlueTroll is an unknown quantity at this point
its gonna worth crap when the mazda3 comes
Old 11-08-2003
(SnOwBoArDeR | FoReVeR)

Civic_Racer9 has a spectacular aura aboutCivic_Racer9 has a spectacular aura aboutCivic_Racer9 has a spectacular aura about
mazdaspeed sucked....i test drove it and it didnt worth the sticker price....i thought the gti was alot better
Old 01-25-2004
Registered!!

nbpEMCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Civic_Racer9
mazdaspeed sucked....i test drove it and it didnt worth the sticker price....i thought the gti was alot better
My MSP is 100% less sucky than your Civic.
Old 01-25-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
I haven't driven one, but the mazdaspeed has a really nice look to it, not to mention the factory Kenwood sound system.
Old 01-25-2004
Registered!!

Drnknmnky13 is an unknown quantity at this point
And the turbo...and the factory tuned suspension. The numbers it throws down are comparable to an RSX-S. I am seriously seriously considering buying one. I want to check out the 3 first. I drove the 6..it was too big for my taste.
Old 01-25-2004
Registered!!

Unleaded is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by nbpEMCivic
My MSP is 100% less sucky than your Civic.
stop hating, you used to be one of us. the mazdaspeed is much nicer than the civic for sure, but the mazda3 is much better i think.
Old 01-25-2004
RESIDENT ROTOR HEAD

nookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of light
The Mazda 3 is pretty much the reincarnation of the Protege base models. There is a 160 hp variant, but don't forget the 3 is pretty much based off of the Focus. Mazda did this on their own without Ford intervention, so all you can do is trust in Mazda, but the Protege is hands down a much more rigid and refined chassis. This has been established by the likes of the MP3, P5, and the Mazdaspeed edition. So, for someone to say that the Mazda 3 is better is like saying the 7th gen civic coupe is better than a EK Type R hatch. It's an opinion based solely on styling cues. Now, when the Mazdaspeed 3 and Mazdaspeed 6 come out, that's a diff story altogether...
Old 01-25-2004
RESIDENT ROTOR HEAD

nookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of light
Oh yeah btw, I got mine first
Old 01-25-2004
Banned

CiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond repute
ok what are the variant of the mazda3 again? 150hp & 180hp? or only one engine 160hp?

cuz i thought it comes standard with 160 hp. but i was reading one of the magazines at my cousins house and it said it offers 150 and 180.

btw: i love the front end of the mazda3 but i think the back end protrudes too much and looks too bulky- the tailights look great thou.
Old 01-25-2004
RESIDENT ROTOR HEAD

From Edmonds.com:

The base sedan uses a 2.0-liter four-cylinder rated to produce 148 horsepower (144 in California), while the upgraded "s" models use a 2.3-liter four-cylinder that bumps the horsepower number to 160.

Great numbers from an entry level compact sedan. Honda, are you listening? Give me a Mazdaspeed Protege anyday though. Best handling FWD produced to date. Knocked the ITR off its thrown. That's from sport compact car, and car and driver. Enough with the mag racing...

Last edited by nookiemonster; 01-25-2004 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-25-2004
Banned

CiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond repute
the mazda3 looks straight up like a mini camry and i thought the new civic looks like the camry.
Old 01-25-2004
RESIDENT ROTOR HEAD

Mini camry?? This?

Damn pass the ganja
Old 01-25-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
It doesn't look like any other car. I don't know why people say that.
Old 01-25-2004
Registered!!

usafstud will become famous soon enoughusafstud will become famous soon enough
i drove the mazda speed protege at the mazda rev it up last year, i fully enjoyed it

i think mazda3 is too hefty with all the luxury items (leather, nave, etc..)

i agree, if ur going to pick up a protege, wait til the mazda3's have been out for a few month

by than, there are going to be a **** load of mazda3's and a few mazdaspeed protege, than get the protege when they are in desperate need of space
Old 01-25-2004
I sure wish my car was newer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
white2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of light
The Protege looks fine, but I think the 3 is hideous.
Old 01-25-2004
Banned

look at the sedan, the front end looks like a camry.
Old 01-25-2004
Registered!!

6_funk is an unknown quantity at this point
it looks like the 6, not the camry
Old 01-25-2004
Registered!!

Miss_Hatchy is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by CiViCPrAnInG2k1
the mazda3 looks straight up like a mini camry and i thought the new civic looks like the camry.
Yeah, the 04 Civic DOES look like a Camry...that's why we bought one $15K for a tiny car that looks like a $25,000+ car. Yeah, that's a bad thing

I like the new Mazda3 as well, very stylish. We were interested in them back in October, but did not want to wait for their January release. They are already all over the Mazda dealers in our area.
Old 01-25-2004
RESIDENT ROTOR HEAD

Originally posted by usafstud
by than, there are going to be a **** load of mazda3's and a few mazdaspeed protege, than get the protege when they are in desperate need of space
Not likely, there were only 2000 mazdaspeed proteges produced. They sold the last one this month from what I read.
Old 01-25-2004
I sure wish my car was newer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
white2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of light
^Not completely true. A local Mazda dealer here has a TON of RX-8s (I thought they were selling well?) and a few of the MS Proteges.
Old 01-25-2004
Banned

yeh i just saw a mazda3 and i can honestly say that my car looks better lookwise. i like the front end headlights and grill and the wheels and that's probably it. the backend section of the car is really weird. it looks like its a mix sedan/hatchback, you know what im saying? it's long to be considered a hatchback but its shorter than the regular sedan trunk. lol wtf? although i like the tailights looks kinda like the VW phaeton tails imo.
Old 01-25-2004
Life Begins > 6800rpms

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
I hate the grill on the 3.
Old 01-25-2004
Registered!!

Miss_Hatchy is an unknown quantity at this point
I hate the hatch grill, but I really like the sedan version.
Old 01-26-2004
Registered!!

NaHoOnEyYa is an unknown quantity at this point
are they gonna come out with a turbo charged version of the 3? maybe the mazdaspeed 3..^^;;
Old 01-26-2004
Registered!!

nbpEMCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
The 3 in sedan form is UGLY AS POOP. The hatch is nice. Oh and I got like the last MSP in Houston, so yes they are almost all gone.
Old 01-26-2004
Wicked Moderatuh

fraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of light
Damn that Mazda 3...
Old 01-26-2004
RESIDENT ROTOR HEAD

Dude I'd rather have your 6 than the 3...yeah the 3 has a few more creature comforts, and will probably pull more lateral g, but your car is just overall better. It's like comparing Accord and Civic...