General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

civic ex or mustang

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
orion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really nice
did you saw my calculation???

Originally posted by Jandree22
v6 Stangs are for chicks that know nothing about cars. I've gotta say, though, that V8's will always be hot, and nothing beats the sound of an aftermarket exhaust on one of those!! Because all domestics are on a rebate kick right now, a new Mustang GT, no lie, can be found for $20-$21,000. CarsDirect.com, check it out.

BTW, I know V6 stangs are poinless, but unless your Civic is blown there's no way you're gonna beat a '00+ V6 stang....If you think a 127hp vic can beat 193 horsies, that's RE-F*CKING-DICULOUS!!! Sure they weigh more, but not like 2000lbs more
actually, yeah, mustang v-6 is 2000lb more then ex

please check my previous post.

that is why people actaully beat it with civic EX on high way over 5000rpm

when domestic is better I will say it is better, and when import is better I will say import is better. I won't have bias opinion to either of them. Good car is simply good car.
Old 06-27-2003
Registered!!

chobits is an unknown quantity at this point
mustang is a domestic piece of crap
Old 06-27-2003
Registered!!

AZD17A2 is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree that the current SVT Cobra, or even previous gen Mustang Cobras, going back 10 years to the original '93, are in a class by themselves. I would give my spleen or other non-essential organ to own an '03 Cobra. I think the point of this discussion is that the base Mustangs are not a good purchase vs. a Civic EX, whereas a GT or Cobra is another class completely, so it becomes a moot point. In other words, Civic EX > Base Mustang (for now).
Old 06-27-2003
Registered!!

AZD17A2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: did you saw my calculation???

Originally posted by orion_squall
actually, yeah, mustang v-6 is 2000lb more then ex

please check my previous post.

that is why people actaully beat it with civic EX on high way over 5000rpm

when domestic is better I will say it is better, and when import is better I will say import is better. I won't have bias opinion to either of them. Good car is simply good car.
Actually, for the record, a base Mustang V6 5 speed is only about 400lbs heavier than a Civic EX 5 speed coupe, believe it or not. Check edmunds.com for specs if you don't beleive me. Not that 400lbs isn't a lot more weight, especially when it comes to racing, but it's nowhere near 2000lbs. I have driven several V6 Mustangs, and they do feel heavier than that though.
Old 06-27-2003
Registered!!

OMega is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by OMega
Never under to why companies keep making econo versation of their cars. I rember the old 80's vette v6's. Those thing were dogs slowest vette ever I think. I would go as far as to say the old 58 is faster.
I guess the wabees gatta have something....
My bad. Could sworn that they made v6 convertable vette in the 80s. Rember seeing one for sale in the paper a while back. Must have been a type-o. I was thinking thats why some of them were so slow.
Old 06-28-2003
Registered!!

XxJDMCivicxX is an unknown quantity at this point
I know it's still a civic and all but it's the top of the line civic so it does have a crap load more options and things like that and v6 stangs are just garbage my friend has one pos, my other friend has a gt with magnaflow exhausts now that's the **** mad power and the sound is just sick. It's like someone buys a lowest model benz i.e. C230 when you could have got top of the line maxima or sumthing but they just want the name cuz its a benz.
Old 06-28-2003
Registered!!

Kape is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey, didn't they make a 4 cylinder Mustang too in the 80s? I'm not sure, but I remember seeing coupes with only a 4-banger, and if that's true, that puts all V6s to shame, lol.
Noone mentioned that so I might be wrong, then again, we're strictly talking about the V6 base
Old 06-28-2003
TUCKIN 19s

2k2EXCOUPE will become famous soon enough
Yeah, They made a four cylinder mustang. It was slow.
Old 06-28-2003
Registered!!

orion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really nice
Re: domestic does not suck but...

Originally posted by orion_squall
talk about performance?

basic mustang coupe (not cobra, not GT): 190hp,weight 3,450 lbs--> (0.0550 hp/lb)

civic EX : 127hp, weight 2449lb--> (0.0518hp/lb)

mustang we are comparing here is powerful but also heavy.

we must take weight into account, please, basic physics. So, they actaully differ by 0.032hp in power. Please explain how in this case Ex will see mugtangs tailight??? assuming both driver are same skill of course.

I like any car which is good, I won't repel domestic nor import. But please show some prof to back yourself and do not bring out Cobra or GT VS civic EX. It is not the subject.

In the case we talk about here, is it worth it choosing basic mustang over civic EX for 800$ more??? more insurance, more maintainance?

I just quoted myself. around 1000lb difference guys. I am talking about hard top mustang here. check my calculation and do you agree in high RPM race they should not differ much.
Old 06-28-2003
TUCKIN 19s

2k2EXCOUPE will become famous soon enough
I think they will differ in high rpm race (highway) because i think our civics have more top end power than the v-6 stang.
Old 06-29-2003
Registered!!

HondaCivicEX02 is an unknown quantity at this point
id take the civic over any mustang, just bc i love imports
Old 07-03-2003
Registered!!

"Jandree22"

sorry for the 2000lb difference mistake.

is actually mustang exceed EX 1000lb. not 400lb...you might checked for the convertible.

and for HP/weight, EX is pretty much the same as hard top mustang.

conclusion, we should never try to be cheap and expect to get good car. Even for domestics, it is money for quality. You pay more to get better car.
Old 07-03-2003
Registered!!

JDog2001CivicEX is an unknown quantity at this point
Actually there are a few turbo 4 cylinder mustangs that came out in the fox body style, those were factory turbo'd and they were fast as hell to
Old 07-03-2003
Registered!!

I really want to blame Honda not making turbos!!
Old 07-03-2003
Registered!!

JDog2001CivicEX is an unknown quantity at this point
why, honda has done turbo's before, just not on american versions of their cars. Just like they also have AWD civic's just not american versions. The main reason that they don't use turbo's is reliability and earth friendliness
Old 07-03-2003
Registered!!

Warlock_THR is an unknown quantity at this point
This Saturday I drive my Mustang in to the Honda dealer and leave it there and drive back in a new Civic... although I haven't driven the Civic enough yet to state if it's better or not than the Mustang, I have had the Mustang for 5yrs and well, nice car, lots of room but the mileage was horrible (only had the V6), fixing was kinda pricy, and had the oddest of probs like scraping in the back because the e-brake mounts were wrong, the air bag sensor was fixed 3 times and still at random the air bag light would flash, stock speakers weren't great.... also, if you live in a place like Canada... we call them Rustangs, because they rust. And finally... if the back tire even hits a wet leaf it'll skid... definately not a winter driver and not great in the rain either.

Oh... another thing... mods for a V6, like finding performance mods for a Civic CX... if you wanna mod the car get the GT V8
Old 07-03-2003
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

03Eclipse should not be trusted03Eclipse should not be trusted03Eclipse should not be trusted
Originally posted by chobits
mustang is a domestic piece of crap
This is about as sensible of a quote as "Civics are rice" .... lease:

Do you notice how other people in this thread actually have information and knowledge on the subject and don't just post random crap like this ..... The Mustang (be it a GT or a Cobra) is an amazing vehicle, so I doubt its a "domestic piece of crap"......
Old 07-03-2003
Registered!!

Warlock_THR is an unknown quantity at this point
True... it's one of the few sought after cars Ford makes... been around for a long time for a good reason.
Old 07-03-2003
Cat

Cat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to behold
Hmmm....depends on what year it is. I prefer the older models better. Older like 1969.
Old 07-03-2003
Registered!!

Logan is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Cat
Hmmm....depends on what year it is. I prefer the older models better. Older like 1969.
We actually have a 60's Mustang for sale at the shop right now. It has a 289 with auto trans and sounds AWESOME at 5500+ RPM's. It's overpriced at $12000 (not negotiable) if anyone is looking to purchase an older muscle car.
Old 07-04-2003
Registered!!

Jujarso is an unknown quantity at this point
I would be willing to bet that the majority (not all... ) of the people saying that, "mustangs are nothing but domestic pieces of crap" have never stepped a foot in, let alone driven a V6 mustang. So... in responding to this thread based on specs alone... you aren't really doing anyone justice. Specs aren't everything.

Just for some background information on me......Besides the fact that I have always favored imports, I used to think mustangs (current generations) were nothing more but worthless pieces of auto waste. Everyone, their mom, and their moms monkey drive a mustang (down in south florida anyway...they're everywhere) not to mention their non-functional poser air ducts.

Well, since my mom decided to get a base model mustang mid last year, I have put quite a few miles in both, a '02 Civic EX Coupe (Mine) and a '02 base V6 mustang (Mothers), I wouldn't call either one a bad vehicle. (both slush-boxes by the way) It just depends on personal preference.

So, for those that are interested... a quick comparison between the cars....stock vs. stock, I'm not talking about modded cars here.

Civic
I'm not going to go into great depth here.... as I'm sure many of you know the strengths of your own car. But for those of you who dont drive a Civic: A combination of Honda reliability, peppy performance and a tasteful well-layed out interior, create a great car for the money that gives you an excuse to go out more. It really is fun to drive.

Highs: Nice roomy interior, decent all-around performance, honda reliablility, Sharp edgy exterior styling, great aftermarket support

Lows :Engine could use more power (I-VTEC K-series anyone?), stock tires not that great, suspension could use some TLC. (watch those speed bumbs)

Mustang
Ok... the moment of truth, the mustang is...ok. There I said it. Was that so hard?

ENGINE: Auto for Auto..... the mustang will pull on the civic. The Civ FEELS faster but when you look down at the speedometer with the pedal to the floor in the mustang..... its instantly noticable that this thing has a little go. Especially from rolling starts...... if the civic gets stuck in a high gear..... you can go get some coffee, read a newspaper, and do a little happy dance before it starts accelerating with any force. You can definetly feel the added torque in this thing. Everytime I get into the car.....I think "I bet this would be a blast in a stick". Dont get me wrong...it still isn't very fast.

INTERIOR: If you ever wonder how plastic molders make their money... this is it. The interior is cheap. It smells cheap, feels cheap, and tastes cheap...uhh..... scratch that last part. The coinholder is absolutely useless, holding a grand total of around 4 coins. For a car this size... it is difficult to concieve where all of the interior room went.... because theres not much. If you are anything taller than a midget..... you are not going to be very comfortable in the back... and even then......

SOUND: This is what supprised me.....the base mustang has considerably more bass than a civic. The civics system stock, while clear....bass need not apply......there is none! In the mustang, you can actually get a little thump going.....your mirrors shake, and you can feel it in your seat. It's still nothing special mind you.... my advise: go aftermarket either route.

HANDLING: To put it bluntly, this thing feels like a tank compared to the civic. Well ok, not a tank, but maybe a heavily loaded hummer. The steering could be classified as sluggish, and when locked in either direction.... it just hits with an audible thud. I really can't describe it any more than that. About the only plus to the mustang is its rear wheel drive. If you try, you can coax it into a nice rwd drift everynow and then. By the way, Warlock_THR said it best, when he commented on its handling in the rain. A small spit wad could though this off it's path.

FUN FACTOR: When it comes down to it, the mustang isn't nearly as fun to drive as the civic. The civic motivates me to take the long route home... while you could really care less in the mustang.

Highs: Nice torque, sporty look?, decent engine sound.

Lows :Crap interior, sluggish handling, feels like a cruise-ship among tug-boats, Ford reliability

CONCLUSION: I would no doubt take the civic over the mustang any day. It actually motivates you to get out and drive, while the mustang is just your everyday transportation. I hope this has been informative for some of you out there. Take it easy everyone........~Jujarso

Last edited by Jujarso; 07-04-2003 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-04-2003
Registered!!

very good review.

also, think about it. the hard top base mustang is 8000$ more than a civic EX, and buyer has to pay higher insurance.

All that only for less than 30hp/lb!!!! it is not worth it!!! probably with 4000$ people can mod civic and beat stock hard top V6 mustang!
Old 07-04-2003
2003 Nissan Frontier

cryption should not be trusted
agreed, the car I took my drivers test on was a V6 mustang .. and with 100k miles on it .. the engine sounded like somethin I would find in a junkyard. And I had the seat all the way back, and I was still to tall to drive the thing .. and I'm not even 6", and yes my driving position is a little far back but the mustang couldn't acomidate even that. And the back seat ... why is it even there? I was cleaning out my vic today and put the passanger seat all the way forward and had room to vaccume the back, then lay down for a lil R&R. I love my Vic!
Old 07-04-2003
Registered!!

devilvtec is an unknown quantity at this point
That is weird, I've driven a mustang gt and i'm 5'11 and I had enough room to drive, and I don't think a different trim level makes too much difference in interior room, but I could be wrong
Old 07-04-2003
2003 Nissan Frontier

Eh, I found the mustang very cramped.
Old 07-05-2003
Registered!!

XtremeJM is an unknown quantity at this point
Camaro.
Old 07-05-2003
Bobaganoosh!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Pharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud of
Originally posted by OMega
All I can say is civic ex = good resale. Mustang v6 will be worth hole lot less once you drive it off the lot.
The V6 Mustang will be worth nothing once you take it off the lot. I often wonder why when I drive past a Ford dealership I see soooo many of those eyesores. If it's to be the flagship car of the company, the darling mustang....then why do they friggen keep so many around...Makes it look like they can't sell them...

Anyway....d00d...Take the Civic.
Old 07-05-2003
Registered!!

Huh_Oh Sh*t! is an unknown quantity at this point
the only stang i would get is the 5.0 or better like cobra, cobra R , etc. those are the ones that attract my attention.
Old 07-05-2003
2003 Nissan Frontier

I can't believe this thread has gone on so long
Old 07-05-2003
Registered!!

GotVTEC is an unknown quantity at this point
Civic all the way, I walk away from stock gt stangs all the time, civics are much easier to mod and they look alot nicer! Also yeah i've seen a v-6 mod'd but it was still only runnin low 15'shigh 14's i'm runnin low 16's

Quick Reply: civic ex or mustang