General 10th Gen Got a question or want to post but it doesn't quite fall under any other topic? Post up here!

Why do people dislike the 10th gen Civic Si?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2021
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Challa is an unknown quantity at this point
Why do people dislike the 10th gen Civic Si?

I really don’t think the 10th gen Si is getting hated on. I don’t see it on this sub, and I don’t see it in the automotive journalist world. Does it have some drawbacks or things that could have been better (or different)? For sure.

Its main complaints from what I’ve gathered are this:

No more Jekyll and Hyde characteristics from the engine, power delivery, and sound. This is both a good and bad thing. But that’s a big characteristic that the 6th gen and 8th gen (and 9th gen to a lesser degree) had in spades. It’s one of the main components that defined some of the older Si’s.

It’s too quiet of a cabin. Again, this is both a good and bad thing. Gone is the engine and exhaust noise you get from the older Si’s. The 10th gen is a more grown up driving experience in regards to cabin noises.

Lack of VTEC by way of a turbo, and thus a lower redline. Again, this was a huge characteristic of some of the older Si’s. Honda’s were always known for high redline screaming engines. All the power used to be up top. But with the 10th gen, you gen a much lower redline, with power coming on much sooner and dropping off sooner. No need to redline anymore, because there’s no point.

Sure, the newest Si is the quickest one yet, but gone are the things that made people fall in love with the older Si’s to begin with.

Last edited by electric130; 03-09-2021 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Removing spam links
Old 02-24-2021
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,159 Likes on 807 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why do people dislike the 10th gen Civic Si?

I think the reason for any hate is the fact that it's not a super drastic increase in performance or features when compared to non-Si models

moved to correct sub-forum
Old 02-26-2021
Registered!!

rog_moore is an unknown quantity at this point

From what I could find, Honda isn't offering Civic Si and Coupe for the 2021 model, strange y skipping but that's what it is. Carindigo 2022 Prototype article says a redesigned Si and Type R both making it next year.
Old 02-26-2021
Super Moderator

Received 1,895 Likes on 1,335 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

There was no Si trim for the 2001 model year either. My guess is the design wasn't finished in time.
Old 02-26-2021
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,159 Likes on 807 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

2021 is the last year for 10th gen. Not sure why they're nixing the trim for the last year of a generation, but it is what it is

seriously though, the price increase for a mildly different turbo (different exhaust wheel), beefier rods, slightly bigger/digital MAF, 2mm beefier rear sway bar (compatible with all trim levels, Type R included -- which also means the 21mm Type R rear sway bar is compatible with all trims), adaptive suspension (which people bypassed when upgrading suspension), LSD (the LSD able to be used in lower trims, mind you) and HDMI exhaust tip (that people didn't really like) with a slightly different exhaust pipe route for a slightly more free flowing exhaust? I'm not sure it was worth the price increase. For $450, I got my '18 Hatch CVT to be faster than a stock Si coupe.

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 02-26-2021 at 10:48 PM.
Old 03-03-2021
Registered!!

rog_moore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
2021 is the last year for 10th gen. Not sure why they're nixing the trim for the last year of a generation, but it is what it is

seriously though, the price increase for a mildly different turbo (different exhaust wheel), beefier rods, slightly bigger/digital MAF, 2mm beefier rear sway bar (compatible with all trim levels, Type R included -- which also means the 21mm Type R rear sway bar is compatible with all trims), adaptive suspension (which people bypassed when upgrading suspension), LSD (the LSD able to be used in lower trims, mind you) and HDMI exhaust tip (that people didn't really like) with a slightly different exhaust pipe route for a slightly more free-flowing exhaust? I'm not sure it was worth the price increase. For $450, I got my '18 Hatch CVT to be faster than a stock Si coupe.
Honda has dropped the Civic si as well as coupe body style for 2021, so Civic si can be had for 2020 only. Though the next-gen civic lineup will have the Civic Si - revamped. I also found a 2021 civic review which highlighted that Civic Si will be back for the 2022 model. and type r is there for 2021 as a limited edition model.