General 10th Gen Got a question or want to post but it doesn't quite fall under any other topic? Post up here!

It's all about the bass

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Retta75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question It's all about the bass

I just got 2019 Civic Touring on Monday and I've been playing with the sound settings but there doesn't seem to be much bass. I have the sound up, subwoofer as high as it goes, but still haven't noticed much change. What do you guys have your settings at? Or maybe cuz it'm streaming music from my iphone it's different? With 9 speakers and a sub I thought it would be louder/more bass.
Old 05-01-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: It's all about the bass

Research a bit, I think the sub isn't really a true subwoofer as most of us think of it, but more like a low range woofer

does regular and hd FM radio and XM radio sound any better or worse than your phone?

Are you using a cable with the phone? That's supposed to sound better than connecting the phone via bluetooth or wifi
Old 05-01-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Research a bit, I think the sub isn't really a true subwoofer as most of us think of it, but more like a low range woofer

does regular and hd FM radio and XM radio sound any better or worse than your phone?

Are you using a cable with the phone? That's supposed to sound better than connecting the phone via bluetooth or wifi
No I wasn't using the cable. I'll try that next time. When I listened to Sirius, there was definitely more bass, so that's encouraging. I mean, the sound is crystal clear when I'm using the Bluetooth, there's just almost no bass. There was definitely a difference with Sirius. I didn't try listening to FM radio yet. Thanks for the tip.
Old 05-01-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Retta75
No I wasn't using the cable. I'll try that next time. When I listened to Sirius, there was definitely more bass, so that's encouraging. I mean, the sound is crystal clear when I'm using the Bluetooth, there's just almost no bass. There was definitely a difference with Sirius. I didn't try listening to FM radio yet. Thanks for the tip.
Sounds like the car does not have a problem, your phone setup does
Old 05-01-2019
Registered!!

It's entirely possible. Maybe I need the volume turned up on my phone more, too.
Old 05-03-2019
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

If you are using the music app on the phone check your phone EQ settings. If they are on normal it has no bass and sucks. I think it is separate from other app settings but maybe not. Worth a try.

Go to:

Settings - Music - scroll down to EQ ( I keep mine on rock).
Old 05-04-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
If you are using the music app on the phone check your phone EQ settings. If they are on normal it has no bass and sucks. I think it is separate from other app settings but maybe not. Worth a try.

Go to:

Settings - Music - scroll down to EQ ( I keep mine on rock).
wow thanks. I didn’t even know you could do that haha. I feel sheepish. The EQ was set to off. So I put bass booster on since I listen to all different kinds of music. I’ll test if out tomorrow.
Old 05-04-2019
Registered!!

So I tried it out, and also turned up the volume on my phone and I have BASS!! I'll play around with the other options but Bass booster seems to do the trick. Thanks again GolNat
Old 05-04-2019
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Retta75
So I tried it out, and also turned up the volume on my phone and I have BASS!! I'll play around with the other options but Bass booster seems to do the trick. Thanks again GolNat
Awesome. It's important to have good tunes while driving. I listen to all different types of music too and found the rock one to be the best balance. Really depends on the car though. In my Fit the rock offered the best balance for country, rock, rap, hip hop, metal, soul, dubstep and any other type of music that I might be in the mood for.
Old 05-04-2019
Registered!!

For sure. I gotta have good sound to go with the tunes. I'll check out the rock one and see how I like it
Old 07-14-2019
Registered!!

BobAlbright is an unknown quantity at this point

Little late getting to this thread, but thought I’d give you my two cents of info. Consider replacing all the speakers that came in the car from new. Car manufacturers generally put really rap speakers in their new cars. I bought a 19 Civic LX Hb a few months ago and just replaced all four factory speakers with Infinity speakers from Crutchfield. Around $50 each. Infinity speakers always have an excellent high end with nice imaging Another plus is they are very efficient. My head unit remains stock. Using the factory speakers, I was finding I was using mid 30’s on the digital readout..which peaks at 40. With the Infinity speakers..to get the same volume, my readout is in the mid 20’s. Amplifier therefore is not having to work so hard...lower distortion.
Also...and very important! Play with the front to rear fader. My experience is that I generally need to fade several notches towards the rear. Find the ideal sweet spot by moving your head forwards and backwards so as you feel the sound is all around you. Typically also s to bump the treble pretty close to max. Great Bass is fun, but it’s the high end that adds the detail, presence, and imaging. I might add the Infinity speakers have a considerably better high end over the factory speakers and the bass is a little deeper, but much tighter
Old 07-14-2019
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

What I've done in my 18 sport (non-touring) to get better sound is mess with the eq setting my my phone, too. Made a huge difference. I stream via Bluetooth almost exclusively, too. I also have my factory head unit settings to almost full bass (like 2 ticks from highest) about 2/3 highest setting mid, and about -1 or -2 ticks treble. Bass is acceptable, and overall sound is actually pretty good, considering I have a stock sound system with tweeters wired in (mine didn't come with tweeters, sub, or center channel like yours).
Old 07-15-2019
Registered!!

BobAlbright is an unknown quantity at this point

You will get better sound if you plug in rather than stream
Old 08-15-2019
Registered!!

constantin_md is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BobAlbright
Little late getting to this thread, but thought I’d give you my two cents of info. Consider replacing all the speakers that came in the car from new. Car manufacturers generally put really rap speakers in their new cars. I bought a 19 Civic LX Hb a few months ago and just replaced all four factory speakers with Infinity speakers from Crutchfield. Around $50 each. Infinity speakers always have an excellent high end with nice imaging Another plus is they are very efficient. My head unit remains stock. Using the factory speakers, I was finding I was using mid 30’s on the digital readout..which peaks at 40. With the Infinity speakers..to get the same volume, my readout is in the mid 20’s. Amplifier therefore is not having to work so hard...lower distortion.
Also...and very important! Play with the front to rear fader. My experience is that I generally need to fade several notches towards the rear. Find the ideal sweet spot by moving your head forwards and backwards so as you feel the sound is all around you. Typically also s to bump the treble pretty close to max. Great Bass is fun, but it’s the high end that adds the detail, presence, and imaging. I might add the Infinity speakers have a considerably better high end over the factory speakers and the bass is a little deeper, but much tighter
You got lucky, because the Infinity speakers you bought have probably better Sensitivity(can produce more sound per watt input) than stock speakers.
This is very rare, because stock speakers are usually built of crap and very light materials which are easy to drive and have great Sensitivity.
Higher-end aftermarket speakers are usually built of better, heavier materials and are harder to drive (lower Sensitivity) so if you went with other Speaker model you could have spent a lot of money and time and had worse sound.

A much better and sure sound improvement is replacing the amp. Even the crap speakers in any car may sound great with a better aftermarket amp, but for doing it right you'd need an expensive Audio DSP (DIgital Signal Processor) also.

As for the OP , he asks for more bass a LC2i converter + an alpine PDX m6 ($260 on ebay, very power efficient) + any subwoofer found on craigslist (can always resell it if you won't like it) would give great results.

Last edited by constantin_md; 08-15-2019 at 02:23 PM.