North East Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont

Damn it, another ticket!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004
DIY King

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
Angry Damn it, another ticket!

Allright, here goes... This is something I wrote the day it happened.

The following is my account of what I witnessed on 02/03/2004 at around 10:45AM – 11:15AM. This document was written on 02/03/2004 between 12:30PM – 1:00PM.

I had just gotten out of work early and I was on my way home when I decided to go to Solomon Pond Mall to buy a present for my wife. My legs were tired from standing up at work, so I decided to set the cruise control at 70mph. I pulled into the left-hand lane to pass some slower moving traffic. I did not accelerate at this time. I had both of my feet planted on the floor of the car. The left-hand lane was free of faster-moving traffic behind me as far as I could see, so I did not hesitate to slowly pass the slower-moving traffic.

Some time had passed as I was still slowly passing the row of slower-moving traffic and I noticed that a patrol car was accelerating towards me in the left-hand lane. I did not increase my speed to let him pass. Instead, I decreased it to 69mph and I slowly waited until I was clear of the slower-moving traffic, so that I could move back into the middle lane. After moving back into the middle lane I again decreased my speed. The state trooper now had an opportunity to pass me by.

This is what I thought that he was going to do. I was somewhat shocked when he moved into the middle lane right behind me, but I thought that he might be ready to exit the highway. I was even more shocked when he turned on his lights and his siren. I signaled, changed lanes, and pulled over onto the shoulder right before my exit to the Solomon Pond Mall. I thought that the reason the officer pulled me over might have something to do with my recent change of my car’s registration.

I turned off the stereo, rolled down the window, turned off the engine, and waited for the officer to approach the car. The officer asked me if I knew how fast I was going. I said that I was going 70mph because I had my cruise control turned on. He said that I was going 80mph – 85mph and he mentioned that I could have accelerated with the cruise control turned on. I did not have a chance to explain anything else, as the officer promptly asked me for my driver’s license and registration. I complied with his request and he asked me if my license was in good standing after receiving my documents. I answered that it was. He then told me to wait in the car.

The officer went into his patrol car and I was expecting him to come out with a warning. Instead, I received a citation for speeding “80+mph” in a 65mph zone. I asked the officer if he had given me a speeding ticket and he confirmed. I again tried to tell him about the fact that I had my cruise control set at 70mph and he told me that I could appeal the ticket as he walked back to his patrol car. I said that I would and drove off disgusted as I took the exit to the Solomon Pond Mall only to get back onto the highway in the opposite direction to get home.
Allright, the above is what happened. Now, the most retarded thing is that it turned out that my wife's present was not in that mall. It was in the Greendale Mall. I'm appealing of course.
Old 02-06-2004
Wicked Pissah Admin
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Havok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant future
Check your speedo to see if it is off. I know you are running different from stock tires and this could have effected it. When I'm going 80 in my car, Brandon's speedo says closer to 85. I used a GPS to verify mine. Maybe Black would lend you mine... I mean his.... GPS....
Old 02-06-2004
Premium Member

Krepoort is an unknown quantity at this point
Good luck getting this one appealed. With the other one you got, I'm sure the court magistrate wont just throw it out. Just hope the cop doesnt show when you get the court date with a judge.
Old 02-06-2004
Registered!!

PhatChevy is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Havok2K1
Check your speedo to see if it is off. I know you are running different from stock tires and this could have effected it. When I'm going 80 in my car, Brandon's speedo says closer to 85. I used a GPS to verify mine. Maybe Black would lend you mine... I mean his.... GPS....
You better remember who owns you...I mean who owns the GPS.

Dude, just stop driving

Between the fact that you have different size tires (from stock) and the differential in speed between you and the cars you were passing it may have appeared as though you were traveling faster than you were.

I'd bet if you had sped up and let the cop pass you wouldn't have had any problems!!!

-Black
Old 02-06-2004
Registered!!

FTK01CIVIC is an unknown quantity at this point
that cop sounds like a punk... hope everything goes well.
Old 02-06-2004
Wicked Pissah Admin

Havok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant future
Originally posted by PhatChevy
I'd bet if you had sped up and let the cop pass you wouldn't have had any problems!!!

I agree. Welcome to the Mass State Police. I see it everyday on the Pike. Statie pulls up behind you in the fast lane, you get the F out of the way immediately. The most they do is flash the lights. You continue to drive in the fast lane for any longer than a few seconds, and you're getting a ticket. That is how it works in this state.
Old 02-06-2004
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

Mystic3030 has a spectacular aura aboutMystic3030 has a spectacular aura about
bleh. I got pulled over this morning too, but no ticket. I was told it was to alert me that it is illegal to drive with my rear window obstructed. I donno about you, but when its snowing like a motherfu*ker, theres no way I can keep my rear window clean unless I tie a midget to my trunk and have him wipe the window every 5 min.

Some cops **** me off
Old 02-07-2004
Registered!!

TwilightX is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry to tell you, you're out of luck to get the ticket thrown out...not only because of your prior infraction, but because just admitted you were going over the posted speed limit.

Rule of thumb my friend, you don't know NOTHING when you get pulled over. Chances are, anything you say can and WILL be held against you, right?

This was posted before, but I think it's an awesome guide...read up my friend, and don't get caught again...

http://www.blackmarket-press.net/inf...ay_no_fine.pdf
Old 02-07-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry to hear man. There are some crooked cops around. He probably had a quota to meet.
Old 02-07-2004
207 Mod is 10-8

kyle4583 is just really nicekyle4583 is just really nicekyle4583 is just really nicekyle4583 is just really nice
no quotas.......
Old 02-08-2004
Registered!!

Renamazazo is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by TwilightX
Sorry to tell you, you're out of luck to get the ticket thrown out...not only because of your prior infraction, but because just admitted you were going over the posted speed limit.

Rule of thumb my friend, you don't know NOTHING when you get pulled over. Chances are, anything you say can and WILL be held against you, right?

This was posted before, but I think it's an awesome guide...read up my friend, and don't get caught again...

http://www.blackmarket-press.net/inf...ay_no_fine.pdf
That's not true, if you say "I was gone 37" and they give you a ticket for going 50, and you actually were going 37 and you can prove it, the ticket will be invalid because the officer pulled you over illegally since you weren't doing what he said you were when he pulled you over...
Old 02-08-2004
DIY King

The speedometer is fine. I had my winter wheels and tires on. Same diameter as stock, so no change in the speedometer.
Old 02-08-2004
Registered!!

zupfox is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, this kinda reminds me of my dad's story. He was driving up the interstate a couple weeks ago, and got pulled over doing "85" in the right lane. He was only going 65, as he has been pulled over before by aircraft. It wasn't like he was driving a car that stood out, it was my mom's Honda Pilot. Anyway, he went to court, and it got thrown out. Scary thing is, this is the second time that this has happened.
Old 02-09-2004
Premium Member

Originally posted by Renamazazo
That's not true, if you say "I was gone 37" and they give you a ticket for going 50, and you actually were going 37 and you can prove it, the ticket will be invalid because the officer pulled you over illegally since you weren't doing what he said you were when he pulled you over...
Nope. Not in my case anyway. Cop said I was doing 90 MPH and gave a BS story at the trial about him pacing me for 2 miles. I know I wasnt doing 90 and I know damn well he wasnt pacing me for 2 miles. I decided to be truthful and told the judge I was only doing about 80 MPH cause it was an empty highway at 11:00 PM. Judge said I admitted to doing 80 so I would still have to pay the 'lower' fine that the court magistrate set.
Old 02-09-2004
Registered!!

exactly...it really doesn't matter unless you can prove you were going under the posted speed limit. A judge isn't going to let you go because you were less wrong than what the police officer gets you at. Admitting you were still speeding anyhow will more than likely get you tagged for some kind of payment, but you might be able to negotiate a lower fine. At least that's what I see your options as.
Old 02-09-2004
< My future wife.

armieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to behold
Wow and to think I'm about to move to boston for the next 4 years...
Old 02-09-2004
Premium Member

Oh yeah..and in MA, you cant take the defensive driving or anything to keep from getting points. Once you get a ticket, you're fawked.
Old 02-09-2004
< My future wife.

armieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to behold
I'm gonna buy a camcorder and a headrest mount to record my driving 24/7 before I move up there
Old 02-09-2004
Registered!!

It's not that bad really...a radar detector helps tho and being aware of hot spots for staties to be lurking
Old 02-09-2004
< My future wife.

^ yeah but i'm just unlucky.

I get the cops on their bad days whereas my friends get off going 90mph in a 65 with just a warning.
Old 02-09-2004
DIY King

Originally posted by TwilightX
exactly...it really doesn't matter unless you can prove you were going under the posted speed limit. A judge isn't going to let you go because you were less wrong than what the police officer gets you at. Admitting you were still speeding anyhow will more than likely get you tagged for some kind of payment, but you might be able to negotiate a lower fine. At least that's what I see your options as.
Exactly my friend, exactly. This time I only hope to lower the amount of the ticket. Under 10mph over the limit is only a mandatory $50 or $75. Anyway, it's lower. Not onlu the ticket I think, but the seriousness of the offense with regards to insurance. They'll take it more lightly too, and won't raise my insurance as much. So my friend, that's the case here. I hope to simply be fined for what I was doing. I don't expect to get the case totally dismissed, but who knows... Maybe my good driving record and some sweet words of sorrow will make my case stand out among all of the cases of the day that the magistrate will deal with? Wish me luck my friend.

Originally posted by armieo
I'm gonna buy a camcorder and a headrest mount to record my driving 24/7 before I move up there
That's an awesome idea. Actually, marketing something that just keeps recording 1 hour intervals would be great. It would be your safeguard against stuff like this. I wonder if such a product already exists? Hmm...
Old 02-09-2004
Registered!!

Take a look at that pdf I posted on the last page - it's pretty helpful IMO - at least you'll be a little more prepared should you ever need it.
Old 02-09-2004
Registered!!

lol too many "my friends"
Old 02-09-2004
Wicked Pissah Admin

Originally posted by Grey
Not onlu the ticket I think, but the seriousness of the offense with regards to insurance. They'll take it more lightly too, and won't raise my insurance as much.

Not true. Speeding ticket will give you two points on your license no matter if 5 over or 45 over. Sadly, I've had close to both and they impacted my insurance the same.
Old 02-09-2004
Registered!!

Interesting...moving violation (55+ in a 35, cop gave me a break and it was placed as 45 in a 35 - went to court, it wasn't overturned) did not go on my insurance record. They had it listed but it didn't make my insurance to go up at all according to my insurance company.

Then again, I have two minor accidents on my car and my carfax history is clear, so beats me what happens when the insurance company or anyone else for that matter makes a note of anything...
Old 02-09-2004
Registered!!

PhatChevy is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Grey

That's an awesome idea. Actually, marketing something that just keeps recording 1 hour intervals would be great. It would be your safeguard against stuff like this. I wonder if such a product already exists? Hmm...
Make sure it's admissable as evidence before you go spending the $$$. Talk to a lawyer...don't forget cops speedometers are calibrated at frequent intervals which allows them to use "pacing" as an estimation of speed.

-Black
Old 02-09-2004
Wicked Pissah Admin

Twilight, the first speeding ticket on your record is free for insurance purposes. Every one thereafter is two points....
Old 02-09-2004
Registered!!

Ah that would explain it
Old 02-10-2004
Premium Member

Twilight, the first speeding ticket on your record is free for insurance purposes. Every one thereafter is two points....
But you do lose the -1 point (?) for having a clean record.
Old 02-10-2004
Registered!!

mykungfuisthebe is an unknown quantity at this point
I have appealed 2 tickets for the exact same reason. some jackass cops like to think because you move to pass slower cars your "recklessly driving' and speeding. a cop once gave me a 65 in a 45 speeding ticket and TWO reckless driving tickets( i was going 48-49 mph and avoiding a car that turned with no brake lights/blinker) all of with i won on appeal. not only did i not pay a dime but the judge made the police department send me an appology letter signed by the officer.

ps. if your insurance is going up because of 1 or 2 speeding tickets you get to get rid of whatever crap geico or whatever and get some good privately owned insurance company to insure your car.

Last edited by mykungfuisthebe; 02-10-2004 at 05:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Damn it, another ticket!