Engine Performance Modifications Post your questions about how to modify your engine here Swaps, Flashing, bolt-ons, etc.

Swapping from CVT to DCT

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black_panda is an unknown quantity at this point
Swapping from CVT to DCT

Does anyone know how difficult or costly it would be to swap from a CVT to a DCT transmission. I’ve got a 2018 Civic hatchback sport and I’ve been wanting to add more horsepower but I read somewhere that the CVT transmission can only safely push 300 HP
Old 07-22-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Swapping from CVT to DCT

Do you want to void the warranty?

Buy a manual transmission, problem solved.
Old 07-23-2018
Registered!!

Black_panda is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GolNat
Do you want to void the warranty?

Buy a manual transmission, problem solved.
do you know if I can “beef” up the CVT transmission to handle more HP cause I’ve got the sport model and would kinda like to keep the paddle shifters
Old 07-23-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Maybe there is but not that I know Of. Not much you can do to an automatic unless you send it somewhere to get it built (idk where).

Yea paddle shifters are cool but nothing beats rowing some gears out!!
Old 07-23-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

It'll be more hassle than worth. I'd wait until companies out there come out with kits to beef up our CVTs. There's been a lot of companies out there showing love to the Sport hatch and developing stuff for it. I'd imagine CVT reinforcement will come with time, since the Sport Touring model (at least in the US) only comes in CVT. At the very least, you can buy a CVT cooler kit (PRL motorsports makes one, but it runs a $500 price tag) to help keep your CVT happier.

sidenote and shameless plug: check out the 10thgen DIY section. I've been slowly filling it with stuff (including a DIY SRI if you're like me and want so badly to hear turbo spooling and turbo bypass valve woosh noises.. lol) as I've been dicking around with my car
Old 09-27-2018
Registered!!

2016Touring is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the link I will add it to my shopping list. Like you guys I am waiting for a CVT upgrade so I can add some serious power lol.