Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues & Fix-It If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Name/Part # of Fasteners that hold the engine splash shield

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
penright is an unknown quantity at this point
Name/Part # of Fasteners that hold the engine splash shield

I have a 2016 civic and when changing the oil there is what I am calling the engine splash shield. I done a lot of googling on this subject and most splash shields are the inner fenders. Also when you ask for splash shield fasteners you get the kind that poke in and then you push the center.
For the engine splash shield, there are two kinds. The ones across the front are threaded on the inside and the rest have a tab on the edge that you give it a half twist. My car is bought used and I am missing one of each.
I guess I may have to go to the dealer, but I would like to know what to call the parts, without having to ask for a thingy.

Any like to where you can buy them online?
Old 11-07-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Name/Part # of Fasteners that hold the engine splash shield

Dzus is the name I've always associated with 1/4 turn fasteners, but these aren't quite the same.
NOBODY in a Honda dealer will know what that name is though.
And they suck for this application IMO.
And I don't think they are shown in the parts catalog separately form the entire undercarriage shield set. (If you look in an online parts catalog, it's in the section called "Under Cover")
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...y5=UNDER+COVER

The regular bolts might be in the parts catalog (see item #18 in the catalog pic below), but I've never had to look for them... I just grab handy bolts of the right thread size and a washer and run em in. You can probably find some plain 6mm bolts (6mm x 1.0 x maybe 15-20mm long, should take a 10mm wrench) and suitable washers that will take the place of the missing bolts with normal thread, at your local hardware store or parts store.
I'd rather replace the 1/4 turn fasteners and their associated clips with something more normal like bolts and speednuts. Or zip ties LOL
Or just leave that chunk of tin out altogether.