Bolt-on Engine Performance Modifications Intake, header, exhaust, flywheel, pulley and other bolt on information and questions belong here.

98 LX 1.6L SOHC Header and Cat

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014
I spent What?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nitronaught is an unknown quantity at this point
98 LX 1.6L SOHC Header and Cat

I'm going to be passing on the family Civic to my eldest son. I've had it since new and maintained it really well. All Highway miles....

So I've put on some nice rims, tires, struts, from the main center exhaust to the end I've replaced with nice tubing and muffler but no header or cat yet.

The engine's been totally rebuilt and so has the tranny. Just about any component has been replaced, fans, compressor radiator, belts, everything...

So now I've a 160,00 miles on the exhaust manifold/catalytic. My mechanic friend is telling me he feels it's time to be replaced.

At the cost of replacing this header/Cat, I'd rather put on a header and cat system... SO far I see the MAgnaflow jobby with the cat built on the header, I would rather go with a 4 2 1 type setup and put the cat underneath......

Does anyone have any suggestions that are not $500.00 + ?
Old 03-11-2014
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 98 LX 1.6L SOHC Header and Cat

You can check Ebay for some used parts, or check your local scrapyard. Why does it need to be replaced, anyway?
Old 03-12-2014
I spent What?

Originally Posted by Poopies
You can check Ebay for some used parts, or check your local scrapyard. Why does it need to be replaced, anyway?
Hey Poopies... Basically at low rpms after being on the highway it's running a little hot and seems to be laboring...

OK before we go to far into this, engine was rebuilt 20,000 miles ago and so was the tranny. New radiator, fan, temp sensors. Checked the head it's no passing any exhaust gasses, checked the block too. Only thing we have not changed is the Cat.

Now mix that with the "Bling" factor a teenager likes and the cost of a new one (I'm not putting a used cat on after everything I've replaced on this car. More than just described I can tell you that. This car is basically new mechanically.

So my kid want's it to look cool, sound like a Ricer. 2 birds 1 stone. I doubt it's the cat, but it takes it off the list... PRetty sure it's the builder's problem, but the builder is standing by his warranty and wants me to change out the catalytic anyways....
Old 03-12-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

A backpressure test would show if the cat is restricted.
Old 03-12-2014
I spent What?

Originally Posted by ezone
A backpressure test would show if the cat is restricted.
Pretty sure high temps would happen on the highway as well if it were restricted, but I have seen cats act up when they are hot and not when they are cooler. How do you test for backpressure when this darn thing is directly on the exhaust manifold? Anyways, I seriously doubt if this is the problem, my best friend (might as well be family), he's offering to pay for the header and cat system as the Uncle he wants to be... It's mainly bling factor.

So I'm 99.9% sure it doesn't solve the issue, but still would like to hear anyone with experience on this setup... Those Magnaflow and Hedmen bolt ons just aren't my kind of idea for a decent header... If I'm paying that kind of money I might as well look into it from others who have experience in this area..

My I'm an ole V8 straight 6 naturally asperated guy... I know just putting on an exhaust isn't going to make it that much more powerful (good cause it's his first car)... The D16 IMHO unless you drop serious coin, is better left alone IMHO... My experience with Honda's is extremely limited when it comes to headers/exhaust and what fits right... I would like to avoid bangingm heating, bendings, swearing, as much as possible on this venture.

God knows I've done enough shoe-horning of headers on V8's to know it's best to ask first

Thanks for the responses folks.

Last edited by Nitronaught; 03-12-2014 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-12-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

How do you test for backpressure when this darn thing is directly on the exhaust manifold?
Short version: Remove primary (front) O2 sensor, screw in a pressure gauge.
God knows I've done enough shoe-horning of headers on V8's to know it's best to ask first
Grew up with cars of the 60's-70's here...Did that without asking first. Jack up the front of the ol Chebby more than 3 feet off the ground (on wheels, logs, cinder blocks) so you can stand the header up on the collector under the car, unbolt motor mounts and jack the engine up as far as the trans tunnel will let it go......cuss, bleed, kick, scream, etc.

Then wonder why the starter quits after it gets hot....
Old 03-12-2014
I spent What?

Originally Posted by ezone
Then wonder why the starter quits after it gets hot....
And of course the starter motor is where? Right behind the collector? So much fun to replace that one...

But yeah, this little Ricer is going to my eldest.... I just need some advice on which is an easier fitment, price, quality...

Of course also wanting the best bang for my buck without banging up the knuckles too bad...