Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

KMS Intake Manifold Thread #2 *Continued*

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
As far as the butt dyno goes on the question of torque it may have more torque at lower RPMS than before, but then it just kinda falls off at high RPMS 5700+
The stock one used to pull all the way to red line but did not have the low end like this one. I'll post Gtech results on Monday.
Old 06-20-2003
Registered!!

RedDragon333 will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by GideoN
I feel the same. Still waiting for others to install their's and their opinions.

RedDragon333: When you get yours, I would love to see it!
Its at the post office going to pick it up today. IM a little weary to put it on tho, im wanting to see at least some kinda numbers otherwise i might just sell this and stick with the OEM one till my swap.
Old 06-20-2003
Registered!!

GideoN is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by djmota
As far as the butt dyno goes on the question of torque it may have more torque at lower RPMS than before, but then it just kinda falls off at high RPMS 5700+
The stock one used to pull all the way to red line but did not have the low end like this one. I'll post Gtech results on Monday.
Many of us would greatly appreciate that if you could post Gtech results.

Hopefully djmota results will turn out well so you can put your IM on Red, but it might just be better to sell if you are very adament about getting your swap done. Add the money that you get from selling it to your saved money already. YOUR CHOICE!
Old 06-20-2003
Registered!!

yea i know Gideon, bought this a while back when i was going NA but then decided to go with the K20A
Old 06-20-2003
Premium Member

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
Whats up with the other 2 that where installed???? can you guys chime in here with your results and opinions? I would be very interested in some other opinions.
Old 06-20-2003
Initial D!!!!

nightkids1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by RedDragon333
Its at the post office going to pick it up today. IM a little weary to put it on tho, im wanting to see at least some kinda numbers otherwise i might just sell this and stick with the OEM one till my swap.
you can sell it to me
Old 06-20-2003
Tell me what you don't like about yourself....

CarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to all
Originally posted by nightkids1
you can sell it to me
Sorry, It has already been promised to me.
Old 06-20-2003
Initial D!!!!

Originally posted by FlyRiceRacer02
Sorry, It has already been promised to me.
noooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-20-2003
Premium Member

I might be in the market to sell...but i have not decided yet.
Old 06-20-2003
Registered!!

This SUX, call up John and find out whats up?
Old 06-20-2003
Initial D!!!!

ill buy it if you install it for me
Old 06-20-2003
Registered!!

cwick187 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok guys...I'm sorry for not posting sooner, but I have been sooo busy with work and class. Dj is right about it "feeling stronger" in the lower RPM range and kinda falling off in the mid to upper. The thing is, you really need to tune your car after you intall the IM because of the air is coming in quicker. At least that's what someone told me. I'm going to get my VAFC dyno tuned July 7th and I will post my results then. If you don't plan on getting a SAFC, VAFC, nitrous or FI it's not going to be worth it IMO. If I don't get any gains from the dyno tuning, I'm going to call John and get up in his *** about this. I suggest you guys do the same!!! I hope this helps clarify things for you guys.
Old 06-20-2003
Initial D!!!!

Originally posted by cwick187
Ok guys...I'm sorry for not posting sooner, but I have been sooo busy with work and class. Dj is right about it "feeling stronger" in the lower RPM range and kinda falling off in the mid to upper. The thing is, you really need to tune your car after you intall the IM because of the air is coming in quicker. At least that's what someone told me. I'm going to get my VAFC dyno tuned July 7th and I will post my results then. If you don't plan on getting a SAFC, VAFC, nitrous or FI it's not going to be worth it IMO. If I don't get any gains from the dyno tuning, I'm going to call John and get up in his *** about this. I suggest you guys do the same!!! I hope this helps clarify things for you guys.
tightness, il cant wait to see the results
Old 06-21-2003
Registered!!

orso is an unknown quantity at this point
all right this is getting rediculous. all we want is numbers NOW!!!!!!!!!
i am tired of hearing about well it feels more powerful blah blah blah. someone please prove that this box actually performs and is not an expensive piece of junk.
Old 06-21-2003
::+::My Girlfriend is hot, but I'm still GAY::+::

yourinmyw0rld has a spectacular aura aboutyourinmyw0rld has a spectacular aura about
yea i want to know too. if its all good N20 next mod hahahahahahah
Old 06-21-2003
I Am Legend

CGodwin3103 is an unknown quantity at this point
It's not easy to get 'numbers'...

It makes more sense to me anyway for them to say it pulls a bit in the lower end, and drops off at 5.7
seeing as how I understand every aspect of my car, a number wouldn't really say as much as a situational opinion.
Old 06-21-2003
I Am Legend

CGodwin3103 is an unknown quantity at this point
Also.. sorry, did you try reseting the ecu? it helps, maybe it would do a thing or 2 for the airflow maps the ecu reads to judge applicable fuel injection..

although it seems... if at all possible.. that form the angle, the im should be like the d16 ones, and come out the side.. wtf was honda thinking with this design?
Old 06-21-2003
Registered!!

I'm getting tired of people posting without reading all the post in a topic. I said I was going to get my car dyno tuned on the 7th of July... I will post before the tuning to see where the manifold is causing the decrease and I will post the sheets as soon as I can...It just kills me that people can be such *******s about this stuff...I happen to have somewhat of a life and I can't just go out and have a dyno run because you guys are bitching about it...Eitherway, don't get the manifold unless you plan on tuning your car...I'm not even sure that will help, but I will be the test subject for you guys I guess.
Old 06-21-2003
Initial D!!!!

Originally posted by cwick187
It just kills me that people can be such *******s about this stuff...I happen to have somewhat of a life and I can't just go out and have a dyno run because you guys are bitching about it
I am looking forword July
Old 06-21-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by nightkids1
I am looking forword July
for real man, im not trippin tho, ill wait till i have the money to blow on a dyno/tune run
Old 06-21-2003
Registered!!

It's gonna cost me $155 to have my car tuned...I think they told me that there will be a number of runs until they tune the VAFC for optimal performance. It costs alot more than I suspected. Who wants to post the pics once I have it done? I don't have web space to host the pics myself.
Old 06-21-2003
Escaped Convict

CapYoda has a spectacular aura aboutCapYoda has a spectacular aura about
you can email them to me and I'll glady host them.

I assume they're in reasonable sizes.. if not I can adjust as necessary.

heh...

man if I was you I would like only PM or email to the people not bitching about the numbers...

and for those bitching about the NUMBERS (i want numbers now wah wah, prove to me this thing works)

you're hardly responsible for proving anything to them, they talk as if you need to convince them to buy this product.

anyway I dont know why I'm venting about your problem. lol.

Last edited by CapYoda; 06-21-2003 at 10:54 PM.
Old 06-22-2003
Registered!!

Exactly Yoda!!!! That's a great idea about PM the peeps WITH the manifold installed. Everyone who has the manifold installed can PM me for private disscusion and for everyone else, I will send Yoda the dyno sheets to host my results. Until then, I'm only up for private disscusions with the people that have real questions or that can be helpful with this topic.

Sorry you got dragged into this Yoda, but someone needs to set some order on this topic!!!
Old 06-22-2003
Premium Member

runner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to all
so for optimal performace it is best to get a VAFC to equal the new the air flow, also what else would be good to get with the IM?
Old 06-22-2003
Registered!!

5PEED EX is an unknown quantity at this point
I know this is not part of the tread subject, but I'm thinking about purchasing V-AFC in about week or so. What do I need to modify in order for it to runner properly (w/out any check engine lights or b.s. like that) If someone could please answear this for me. Thanks.
I'm also waiting for my KMS IM and my cam gear, so when I get those parts and install them, I'll have them dyno tuned right away (upon installation). From what I have been told by the shop here, dyno will run me $170 per hour. I'll keep you guys updated definetly.
Old 06-22-2003
Registered!!

the VAFC isnt bolt in so much but there is a lot of wiring know how that will be needed tyhen to get the best performance out of this its best to tune it professionally. There is a DIY diagram so it wont throw a check engine light on the forums somewhere
Old 06-22-2003
Registered!!

No one has really gotten the VAFC to work...I tried every DIY that has been posted and it still throws the CEL in the mornings when the temp. outside reaches below 70. I think the only people that have gotten it to work live in climates where it stays warm, hot all the time. Anyway, this should be posted on the VAFC thread (not flaming you) that has all the info you need.

As far as the ? from runner1738 about having to have the VAFC to get the manifold to function as it should, we don't know yet...Havng the VAFC tuned might not yield great numbers because the design of the maniflod. It's gonna take people to install the manifold that has one to see what can be done, if anything to get it working correctly. I personally think he should have made longer runners to increase the mid to high range torque.

If everyone who has the IM would install it and see how it functions on theyre cars, we might could easily get our money back or a better design if everyone didn't like it.
Old 06-22-2003
Tell me what you don't like about yourself....

CarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to all
Just wait and get the VAFC II when it is released in August.
Old 06-22-2003
Registered!!

5PEED EX is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks guys.
Old 06-23-2003
Premium Member

ok here go my results from various Gtech runs.

Using all the same settings including the place where I did the runs originally. The fuel in the car was a little less than what I had on the Original runs and the outside temp was 10 degrees lower than the original runs. So this should be slightly biased in the favor of the Manifold.

this is the average mesurement of 5 runs ...... 107 gtechHP

I did the installed runs on 2 different days just to make sure the results where Kosher.
average of 10 runs from both days is 99 gtechHP. A loss of 8 gtech HP. Watching the meter and doing these runs pretty much confirm what I was saying before. The car just fall on its face after 5500-5700 RPM Which normally is where it makes its peak HP. Unfortunatly I can't measure torque or see how the TQ curve was affected by the manifold. But may *** tells me it was improved in the low end. Which...who knows may be better in the 1/4 mile. But in my book a loss is a loss.
So cwick187 once you get your real Dyno numbers let me know. I hope that with tuning it will net gains. That will make it worth while. But if not than it was a waste of KMS and our time and money, and we should be taken care of somehow I would be happy with a redesign or refund. As a bolt on part...its not worth it. As a tuned part cwick187 will let us know.

Quick Reply: KMS Intake Manifold Thread #2 *Continued*