Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

Bang For Your Buck!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pjcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Bang For Your Buck!

I know that the topic has been posted and debated before, but I would like to open the floor to discussion. Which performance parts give you the most bang for your buck? I'm new to modifications. I currently have an AEM short ram intake on my 2001 Honda Civic EX AT. It's hard having the AT because AEM doesn't make a CAI for the AT. Anyone else that has an 01 EX AT, and has done mods, let me know what you think!
Old 05-12-2003
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
slystad810 is an unknown quantity at this point
It's all about air flow, a few degrees temprature isn't going to make any difference. An intake doesn't really make that much of a difference anyway.

The best bang for your buck has to be NOS/Turbo, on top of basic bolt ons.
Old 05-12-2003
Registered!!

L23Tan is an unknown quantity at this point
If you want a CAI for your car... go for the INJEN RD CAI. I also have an automatic and I'm looking into getting the same thing, but I'm still trying to find it for a good price. It's gonna cost me atleast 440CDN.! That's expensive for a long piece of tube with a filter on the end of it in my opinion.

As for my mods... things related to air flow so far is just a custom catback exhaust. Everything else I've modded has to do with looks and or audio.
Old 05-12-2003
Registered!!

reflekt is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by slystad810
It's all about air flow, a few degrees temprature isn't going to make any difference. An intake doesn't really make that much of a difference anyway.

The best bang for your buck has to be NOS/Turbo, on top of basic bolt ons.
an intake doens't make a big difference? true on our cars, but on an RSX engine? try 20 extra horsies. eh. not fair
Old 05-12-2003
Registered!!

Weaponx12o is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by reflekt
an intake doens't make a big difference? true on our cars, but on an RSX engine? try 20 extra horsies. eh. not fair
are you sure its that much? my roomate has a DC5 with a CAI and it makes a difference, but i dont think by that much. it still sucks that they get gains like that
Old 05-12-2003
Registered!!

RedDragon333 will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by Weaponx12o
are you sure its that much? my roomate has a DC5 with a CAI and it makes a difference, but i dont think by that much. it still sucks that they get gains like that
on the DC5 the gains are a lot bigger than i thought. Its not 20 but its pretty close to that with the AEM CAI i believe
Old 05-12-2003
Registered!!

JumpingBean is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Weaponx12o
I think Honda Tuning had an article on the different intakes and dynos for them tested on the RSX. They said that they got 20 ponys out of that intake.
Old 05-12-2003
Registered!!

Validus is an unknown quantity at this point
I highly doubt 20 hp. Read up on a type-s forum- they dont get gains that much better than our engine on most things. it COULD be 20hp if you were lucky, but def not 20 hp to the wheels
Old 05-12-2003
Registered!!

Da2K1 is an unknown quantity at this point
i believe the article did mention 20 hp to the wheels. There are dyno pics in the article.

The gains you get are dependent chiefly on stock intake design. The worse the stock intake is, the better the aftermarket one. I remember reading some Mercedes Benz tuners use the stock intake, as it has the best design.

For our civics, if you want to keep it NA, the best bang/$ should be obtained by a cam.
Old 05-12-2003
Registered!!

sc1golfr is an unknown quantity at this point
it said in honda tuning more than once that the AEM CAI was the best for the RSX-S at just short or 20 hp
Old 05-12-2003
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
slystad810 is an unknown quantity at this point
You have to remember that the RSX has a much better platform to work with. I think Honda basically tried to squeeze all the power possible out of our engine, so it's pretty much maxed out besides forced induction.

Another thing to remember is that not to believe everything you read in tuner mags.
Old 05-12-2003
Registered!!

Alex1 has a spectacular aura aboutAlex1 has a spectacular aura aboutAlex1 has a spectacular aura about
if ur not going to focus on big mods such as turbo or nitrous, i say leave the car stock. it is quick... though not enough high end power. but to take advantage of something that u already have, u might wanna consider, a torque converter, falken azenis tires, carbon fiber hood and trunk, fiber glass fenders, light weight seats, stiff suspension for faster cornering and a better stronger launch. give it a try, its just my opinion. but theyre well worth it and the gains are quite visible. quicker acceleration and etc.
Old 05-12-2003
Registered!!

RobearRacing is an unknown quantity at this point
Ill vouch for that HT Intake DYNO. It yeilded like 19.8 HP's..INCREDIBLE!
Old 05-12-2003
Registered!!

R3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to all
this is just my opinion on parts:

Best Intake - AEM CAI
Best Exhaust - Tanabe Racing Madallion
Best Header - HP Racing
Best Cam Gear - AEM
Best ECU Upgrade - Jet Chip
Best Nitrous - NX, Nos
Best Turbo - something custom made
Old 05-12-2003
Registered!!

Wanger is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Bang For Your Buck!

best bang for the buck? i have to say vafc. someone dyno'ed for +7hp on the wheels with it tuned correctly. thats pretty good for $270 or less.
Old 05-13-2003
Registered!!

mos_skeeto is an unknown quantity at this point
car audio
Old 05-13-2003
Registered!!

jungleboogie is an unknown quantity at this point
well i just think that with cars these days... they're built with so much restrictions under all these damn emissions laws.. i think just basic mods that lessen the restrictions would bring some power back... but that's taking into consideration that your car makes at least a decent amount of hp... or something like that... that's what i think
Old 05-13-2003
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Easy, A good set of sticky tires. something like Flaken Azenis sports, or Michilin Pilot sports. as in Almost an R compound tire. Better acceleration and cornering. The falkens are cheep too, 205/50R15 are around $60-$70.
Old 05-13-2003
Registered!!

BlueFlame is an unknown quantity at this point
Some of the fastest cars I've seen are covered in stickers ... so that must be a pretty good investment

Sorry .. if I didn't say it, somebody else would have
Old 05-13-2003
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Its a proven fact that air sitcks less to Vinyl then it does to paint!!!

seriously, best bang for the Buck really depends on what you want to do with the car.

do you like strait lines? then engin mods are the best way to go.
Do you like out cornering every one like me, the suspension parts and tires are your best bet
do you plan on making a show car? then all those unieque parts are the things you should be looking at.

Personally, I autocross, so if it dosnt make me go faster or turn better it isn't going on the car.

ie, no body kits, no stickers, no extra lights, no wing/spoiler, no big sound system. Just Sticky tires, good springs/shockabsorbers, and a little engine work.