Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

k20a1 vs k20a2

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2003
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chrissy is an unknown quantity at this point
k20a1 vs k20a2

i just wanna verify if the mounts made by hasport for the k20a2 (rsx-s) mounts are compatible with the k20a1 (01 type-r civic). they look exactly the same to me, and all i hear is that they have differing compression ratios thats why type r gets 220hp/206tq while the type s is like 200hp/14?tq. and fyi, i have enough in my savings to get a swap and i need to verify this

-chrissy
Old 04-02-2003
#1 S2000 Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ViNRoCk8 is an unknown quantity at this point
i would say get the type s engine instead more available performance upgrades.....its a USDM swap, so the already hard swap will be less hard. The wiring is what is gonna kill you during the swap and the wirinig will be easier on the USDM engine. Either way you will be one happy camper!
Old 04-02-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
The K20A is the INTEGRA Type R engine, not the Civic... The CTR has the same K20A2 that the RSX Type S has. There are other differences besides the compression, however 11.5:1 vs 11:1 compression is responsible for most of the increase. And torque is very similar to the K20A2, right around 150 ft-lb... no where near 200 ft-lb. The Hasport kit will mount either engine.
Old 04-02-2003
Registered!!

well, like where can i get one? i called all the junk yards that i can find in the phonebk but they have no wrecked rsx-s. where is a good place to get one online? lets see, i have about $15K in the bank since i stopped going to ga tech, that school is a rip off, now i goto polk cc and drive to school everyday from my house. is 15k enough? how about the labor??
Old 04-02-2003
Premium Member

EManEX will become famous soon enoughEManEX will become famous soon enough
15K should be more than enough.
Check ebay. Try looking for a place that sells used engines.
Old 04-02-2003
Registered!!

azure is on a distinguished road
After all is done, how much would the whole swap cost (the engine, motor mounts, etc.)? I was thinking of doing a swap myself. Either that or a turbo.

By the way, I think $15k is more than enough.

And yah, check ebay. I checked yesterday and saw a Type-S for $4000 with only 541 mile on it (so they say). They said it came with everything including the transmission.
Old 04-02-2003
Registered!!

ya but isnt shipping gonna be a big one since the engine weighs like 500 lbs? but the labor is expensive, i asked some mechanic my dad knows and he wants to install it for like 2K. and plus how reliable is buying the engine from ebay? it might lack some parts that i have to custom order
Old 04-02-2003
#1 S2000 Fan

ViNRoCk8 is an unknown quantity at this point
i have seen shipping as low as $200
Old 04-02-2003
anti rice

spoon will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by Chrissy
ya but isnt shipping gonna be a big one since the engine weighs like 500 lbs? but the labor is expensive, i asked some mechanic my dad knows and he wants to install it for like 2K. and plus how reliable is buying the engine from ebay? it might lack some parts that i have to custom order
the seller has/should post all the parts there bidding, so ur clear on that and u know what ur bidding on, and ebay is actually pretyy reliable, u shud check the seller rating on the person, actually helped me alot of times. Good luck with ur swap, i wish i had 15g's to spend.
Old 04-02-2003
Registered!!

RedDragon333 will become famous soon enough
check Ebay or some shops around here that have swaps. Groupbuycenter will have info as well. Your looking at around 10k for the swap including parts and shipping ETC. AS far as aftermarket support for the ITR or the K20A youll have to look but they do have them. The K20A2 or RSXs has more available at the moment. If it were me you can get the K20A for around 5 to 6k tranny LSD and everything i would go that route
Old 04-02-2003
End Bringer

Voiceofid is an unknown quantity at this point
here are some links i keep around when i am ready to buy mine

jdm power
technical power automotive
k20a
sun coast customs, this is also located in florida, might wanna go look at their stuff if you are close
j-spec motors
j's garage, direct export from japan
jdm honda parts

i think all the site i listed only sell k20a (ITR) but there is some sites you can base off of

Last edited by Voiceofid; 04-02-2003 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-03-2003
Registered!!

mike0404 is an unknown quantity at this point
well, like where can i get one? i called all the junk yards that i can find in the phonebk but they have no wrecked rsx-s. where is a good place to get one online? lets see, i have about $15K in the bank since i stopped going to ga tech, that school is a rip off, now i goto polk cc and drive to school everyday from my house. is 15k enough? how about the labor??
if you want to spend 15K on swap, why dont you sell your civic and buy your self a new rsx type r, which should come out this year i think.. or you can buy type s.
Old 04-03-2003
Registered!!

There's going to be an RSX Type-R? Damn! How much are those going for?

Edit: Okay, nevermind, I researched it.

Last edited by Azure; 04-03-2003 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-03-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by mike0404
if you want to spend 15K on swap, why dont you sell your civic and buy your self a new rsx type r, which should come out this year i think.. or you can buy type s.
i wanna keep this civic since it has a lighter body and seems kinda more stylish and "cleaner looking" but i guess a type s swap would be perfect for now. all i wanna see now is a real wrecked type s in my area so i can salvage the engine
Old 04-03-2003
Registered!!

So you're going the sleeper route? Cool!
Old 04-03-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold

Ok dude... It's becoming obvious you really don't know what you're getting yourself into. I would strongly suggest you do a shitload of research before you go and swap a new motor into your car. This isn't a job for a normal corner mechanic to do. This is something that should be done by a well established shop that knows imports (preferably Honda) inside and out. Especially now that there are substantial differences between the K and D series engines (there were between D and B, but at least D's and B's rotated in the same direction). If you want to see what is involved, get the December 02 'Honda Tuning', it outlines the swap in a good bit of detail, but still doesn't completely cover it. Do some homework on this before you do it. Just because you have the money to do it, doesn't mean you need to do it right know. Learn what you're doing first, you'll be happier later.
Old 04-03-2003
Registered!!

dragoon is an unknown quantity at this point
shipping, labor, and all the little parts you need are gonna cost an arm and a leg. good luck, but i wouldn't waste all that money on a car. i see that you're still going to college, so my advice would be for you to save that cash for a rainy day.
Old 04-03-2003
Premium Member & 1 Millionth Poster!

THEANTIRICEST has disabled reputation
research around who had done it on the site talk to them about the details....

http://www.hondawerx.com/swap.htm
Old 04-03-2003
Premium Member & 1 Millionth Poster!

THEANTIRICEST has disabled reputation
Buy this one for me
Old 04-03-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by THEANTIRICEST
research around who had done it on the site talk to them about the details....

http://www.hondawerx.com/swap.htm

omg i want, i want, I WANT! then i can beat a stock 01 lightning seriously, i checked the specs and that civic on that site and the lightning would actually run the same times like mid 13s if i am not mistaken!
Old 04-04-2003
Registered!!

NoBottleJustThrottle is an unknown quantity at this point
Good luck on your swap!
My entire swap is costing me about $5000, i bought the RSX-S front clip for $3800 with 6900miles on it, and i am doing the swap myself with some friends (no labor costs).
Dont think that you will run 13s either after your swap. Yes, you can after some work to the motor, but right after your swap with intake and exhaust...im guess, cause it hasnt been proven yet, about a 14.6. To get 13's, you would have to get aftermarket camshafts, cam gears, ECU upgrade, I/H/E, clutch, flywheel, Short shifter, and a good set of tires. All that stuff will put you at about 220whp. I will let you know how my swap goes in a couple months when i get all the parts that i need for it.
Cheers~
Old 04-04-2003
Registered!!

Tiki is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by ViNRoCk8
i have seen shipping as low as $200
Id have to say thats about right My friend just shipped a Zc motor for his rex and it cost him about 2 bills

Originally posted by Azure
So you're going the sleeper route? Cool!
Is there any other way??

Last edited by Tiki; 04-04-2003 at 07:49 AM.
Old 04-04-2003
Registered!!

NoBottleJustThrottle - Wow! $5000 for the swap? You lucky bastard. Hehe, j/k! Keep us updated.

Tiki - Haha! That's true.
Old 04-04-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by THEANTIRICEST
Buy this one for me
Yeaah! That's the one I was talking about.

Man, everyone is doing a swap. (*thinking: swap?turbo?swap?turbo?... hmm ) Oh well.
Old 04-04-2003
Registered!!

Duckor is an unknown quantity at this point
i believe hondawerx did a k20 swap in a 2k1 coupe. i suggest talking to him to get all the little details.
Old 04-04-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by NoBottleJustThrottle
Good luck on your swap!
My entire swap is costing me about $5000, i bought the RSX-S front clip for $3800 with 6900miles on it, and i am doing the swap myself with some friends (no labor costs).
Dont think that you will run 13s either after your swap. Yes, you can after some work to the motor, but right after your swap with intake and exhaust...im guess, cause it hasnt been proven yet, about a 14.6. To get 13's, you would have to get aftermarket camshafts, cam gears, ECU upgrade, I/H/E, clutch, flywheel, Short shifter, and a good set of tires. All that stuff will put you at about 220whp. I will let you know how my swap goes in a couple months when i get all the parts that i need for it.
Cheers~
lol short shifter, extra 1000 hp, 7 sec quarter!

j/k

but it actually helps you shift better by making the throws way shorter.

220 fwhp is what i am looking for if i ever find a k20a2 locally, then i can go upgrade it when i have time. i just cant deal with the online sales sometimes. ive had bad experiences when i used to order parts online for my former old a$$ 1985 300zx. i sold that p.o.s. for 1k it was a headache
Old 04-04-2003
K20 Member

ImportRacer2123 is an unknown quantity at this point
OK from what i read and posted adding a AEM CAI gets a Type S 20+hp so just from a CAI it is now at 220HP stock. Here is a great place to buy your motor.

www.hmotorsonline.com
Old 04-04-2003
Registered!!

I think Chrissy meant at the wheel, no?

Last edited by Azure; 04-04-2003 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-04-2003
End Bringer

Voiceofid is an unknown quantity at this point
i don't think a k20a2 (whichever that is) will give you 220fwhp, not even the k20a can do that
Old 04-08-2003
Registered!!

csjrishere is an unknown quantity at this point
There are RSX Type S' getting over 200 whp right now and you know 220 isnt that far away and the aftermarket is just starting!!!

Last edited by csjrishere; 04-10-2003 at 12:12 PM.

Quick Reply: k20a1 vs k20a2