Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

Anyone Have a CP Cold Air for DX/LX

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JSlick is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone Have a CP Cold Air for DX/LX

I won a bid for the CP Cold Air Intake for the 2001 DX/LX that's always up for bids on ebay. Guess it was $79.99. I also added in the Bypass valve for what-the-hecks sake.

Now the real question: Has anyone gotten this intake? After searching through the threads, it sounds like this cheapy intake isn't going to come with a transmision bracket to secure the trans line. I'm also lead to believe that this intake won't come with a welded on bracket on the lower intake tubing to mount to the supposed transmission bracket.

This is supposed to be an AEM replica, i'm sketchin the fact that they might have chosen not to replicate the whole design and cut the cost by not including any lower bracket or mount point for this intake.

Please, someone give me the bad news or goods news.... if this intake doesn't come with all this lower tubing mounting stuff.... looks like I'm gonna need to take the darn thing to some place which would weld that lower mount point onto the lower intake tubing. Damn... that'd suck. Seriously... the anticipations kinda gettin to me.
Old 09-19-2002
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

speedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the rough
the worst thing that can happen is that u lose a couple of hps[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
but then again. intake is just a noise maker for our cars.
i have an injen cai
Old 09-19-2002
Registered!!

Nuts is an unknown quantity at this point
you get what you pay for.[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 09-20-2002
End Bringer

Voiceofid is an unknown quantity at this point
my friend brought a CP cai for his lx, the intake filter fell apart after 3 days
Old 09-20-2002
Registered!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Old 09-20-2002
Registered!!

Oh Wait... the filter??

I'm not concerned with the filter. Filter's definitely being replaced w/ a K&N or AEM.

Does anyone no if you can just use the top tube portion of the CP intake as a SHort Ram?!
That'd be at least worth part of my money

Lemme know
Old 09-21-2002
Premium Member

Bartkat is an unknown quantity at this point
Cap Yoda has one of those intakes. An AEM replica. There are several threads about this sort of thing.

If you wanted a SRI you could have got an Ebay one for less. But you still need to mount that tube so it supports the filter so it doesn't flop around. Proabably use wire ties.

If you buy a K&N filter you are then adding another $30 to the cost.

The best thing I have found to do with that Ebay stuff is to resell it and try and recover some of the losses, then go buy a name brand intake that fits.
Old 09-21-2002
End Bringer

Voiceofid is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: JSlick
Oh Wait... the filter??

I'm not concerned with the filter. Filter's definitely being replaced w/ a K&N or AEM.

Does anyone no if you can just use the top tube portion of the CP intake as a SHort Ram?!
That'd be at least worth part of my money

Lemme know[hr]
yes, my friend was too lazy to take his bumper off to make it a cai, so he made it into a short ram, i'll take a look at his engine bay tonight and check for anomalies

Old 09-23-2002
Registered!!

Thanks Bartkat.... Reselling did cross my mind. But damn... already sufferin the losses even before I've received the thing in the mail. Oh well. I was also thinking about trying to cop a refund. And if the seller doesn't wanna give it up... file one of those eBay refund complaints deal and use "Product Damaging to Engine Compartment" as a good reason to force my dollar bills back. But that'd take some 2 months... I really dug myself a deep hole this time.......

Lesson: Be Patient.... Get Brand Names

Wire ties, eh? those plastic ones, right? wouldn't those melt? or do they make aluminum or metal ones?
Right now... wire ties sound feasible.

If anyone has any other ghetto-rigging suggestions... speak on it... I wanna know (I wanna know about that special somebody; " Sorry.... not this commercial." ----- I wanna know about Rogain.... "With Monoxadil?" ----- Yeah!!!...... "Anyone else" YAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!).

Voiceofid..... definitely tell me if his short ram rig worked for him... thanks.

Old 09-23-2002
Premium Member

Bartkat is an unknown quantity at this point
Wire ties won't melt in the area where you would be using them. I must confess I have used them on some "temporary experimental" items. I've bought several things that I didn't relly like when I got them on, so just sold them. Now I finally have what I want. Sometimes that's the only way to find out what really fits, and works for you.
Old 09-24-2002
Registered!!

Got my CP intake today. To my surprise.... It does come w/ a transmission line bracket and lower tube mount. Really is an AEM replica.. not exact but somewhat there.

Pretty dope sh*t. I just need to slice the upper tubing to attach the bypass valve.

Threre was one problem. The cheap CP filter inlet was 2.5" while the lower tubing is actually 2 3/4". Doesn't sound like much a difference... but it is. But no matter... new filter was always on the agenda thanks to Capyoda's insight.

Old 09-24-2002
Escaped Convict

CapYoda has a spectacular aura aboutCapYoda has a spectacular aura about
hey cool, thats a surprise too. looks like CP really went out of their way, I mean they even went and get a CARB exempt number.

weird. my pippings are 2 and 1/2. not 2 and 3/4.

K&N universal filter time! they're like 20-30 bucks if u look for it, and you get the dimension, and styles you want. check out: http://www.performancecenter.com/bra...randname=K%26N (I think there are definitely cheaper sellers out there, but this site is decent since its easy on the selection of K&N universal filters... I suggest going for the ROUND STRAIGHT instead of the ROUND TAPERED. Since they sure jib you on the price difference. But the Round Tapered ones are really interesting. Its K&N's new design I guess. their "Xtreme Universal round Tapered filters"

I duno, shop around. there's a lot of selection. And I dont think the difference between a straight round cone filter and a tapered filter matters that much, especially how the filter is positioned for the CAI.

see that really wasn't so bad for 80 bucks, was it? I mean you're going to spend another 30 on filter.. so thats 110 total... AEM's run close to 200. save yourself 50-70 bucks, IMO.

I'm really really surprise they come with transmission line bracket though..

lol. I did use wires for temporary, just to drive to the hardware store to buy some nuts and bolts and fabricate my own bracket or the sort.

on another side note, everyone's so happy with the FIPK, when u get sick of this CAI, you might want to try the costly 200+ bucks K&N FIPK out. I'm still thinking about it. I might as well save it up for something bigger later. Not sure.