Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

Got my RSR and have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005
Type-Race
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
doctor will become famous soon enoughdoctor will become famous soon enough
Got my RSR and have some questions

Now take it easy on me if my questions seem a bit stupid, as this is my first exhaust install by myself. Also, these questions is applicable to anyone whos installed a exhaust. First, Did anyone reuse their OEM bolts and screws? I was only able to use the 3 screws that hook the midpipe to the cat. The other 2 bolts that attach the midpipe to muffler i had to scrounge from the toolbox. That leads to my second question. Where the midpipe and muffler connect with those 2 bolts, Ive got pretty bad vibrations right at where they meet. Is that normal or is it because of my bolts? My firned also advised me to use a gasket? Dont know if its the right word, he gave me a thin metal piece that slips between the midpipe and muffler. Is that required or can i just put those 2 pipes together? The vibrations is causing the muffler to shake too(though the oem muffler shook a bit too). The souns is so-so. Im one for not attracting attention and Im not ecsatatic bout the noise. Almost sounds a little high pitched. I am however, on stock intake and headers for now. Any insights would be appreciated.
Old 11-25-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
The shop did mine, but I had a bag of old bolts at the end when I picked it up. I think the exhaust came with gaskets and bolts. There MUST be a gasket whenever two pipes connect or you'll leak exhaust and have it sound like poop. The exhaust came with new gaskets for sure. There is a packet in the box with hardware in it. The only complaint I have with mine is during idle in freezing weather, I can hear some rattle. But I have to turn off the stereo just to hear it and once the car gets moving it goes away. About the noise, the exhaust was VERY loud during the first few hundred miles. After about 500 miles or so driving, it will quiet down alot. Its louder in the summer, now that its freezing I can hear it but it almost sounds like a stock eclipse v6 exhaust. You can hear it, but it sounds like just part of the car noise.
Old 11-25-2005
Type-Race

doctor will become famous soon enoughdoctor will become famous soon enough
uh im gonna check my box tonight then.....so youre saying the exhuast had a baggie with bolts and gaskets? I hope that might solve my vibration or is that normal? Gear, does yours vibrate like crazy, midpipe down?
Old 11-25-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
well yes it does vibrate but only in the cold weather at idle and even then its not loud enough that someone will ask what noise it is. did you bend the hangers down on the muffler. the shop said the tip was touching the bumper before they did. now its 1mm away and when it shakes i hear it hitting the bumper but not that loud.
Old 12-04-2005
Escaped Convict

CapYoda has a spectacular aura aboutCapYoda has a spectacular aura about
if it didnt come with gasket then reuse ur stock or buy new ones.

its generally a good idea to NOT reuse.

although I dont know how they bolt up the midpipe to the muffler.. on the stock they have bolt spring.. that is, a long bolt with spring on it. if you reuse the stock bolt and spring, you need to tighten it up from one side to the other.

dont just torque up one side and then torque up the other. you need to interchange so it'll flush the pipes together well and not cause any leak or vibration. also check the torque spec so you dont over torque and spring those bolts, the stock ones are like grade 5 or something and are pretty weak.