Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

Are AEM Cam Gear(s) Worth Buying for an 04' EX Auto?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005
Ill punch you in the face before you visit Myspace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SinaloaCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Are AEM Cam Gear(s) Worth Buying for an 04' EX Auto?

i searched the threads and i havent seen anything relevant, im planning on purchasing the 5 bolt cam gear, whats the differance between 3 bolt one?? also if you have it installed do u get any good gains??? was it hard as f*** to tune it???
thanks,

-PeTeY!! ::EM2::
Old 11-17-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
A cam gear sounds to me like a last little ounce part. Its kinda worthless to alter the timing on a stock car. What are you gonna get? 1HP?

And a guess... if the flange on the end of the cam is a 3 bolt, you get the 3 bolt gear, if its a 5 bolt, you get the 5 bolt gear.
Old 11-17-2005

oh i see ok then people have told me they can get up to 10 HP out of a cam gear from a SOHC engine
Old 11-17-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion

Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
on WHAT sohc engine? A built Y8 with the works already done? You're not going to see 10 HP from a timing change on this engine, probably on any completely stock engine. Thats why its claimed as "up to" 10 HP. Just like a K&N filter makes up to 40 HP
Old 11-17-2005

oh i see......well u see what i got in my sig.....thiers like NOTHING else i can do to squeeze some N/A power out?? lol i know im a noob but what can i say i know more about cars than others at my school haha
Old 11-17-2005
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
perhaps AEM adjustable cam gear would work better with an aftermarket cam shaft.
Old 11-17-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion

Originally Posted by D17A2/4G63
oh i see......well u see what i got in my sig.....thiers like NOTHING else i can do to squeeze some N/A power out?? lol i know im a noob but what can i say i know more about cars than others at my school haha
This motor?
If you find a way to get the stock crank HP to the wheels I'd call success.
a cam, springs, retainers, new IM, etc...
the head just doesn't flow well at all, and it takes a $2000 computer to get the car to rev higher, but the head still doesn't flow.
Old 11-17-2005

true... but then that would'nt make my car reliable huh??? i use my EM2 as a daily driver so..... all i want is more acceleration because right now it sucks, but then i dont have the 4K for the turbo and the tranny adjustments
Old 11-17-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
get the 5 bolt model because there are two more bolts to tighten. the old 3 bolt model had some cases of the timing slipping up and ruining motors. its very easy to tune, just adjust it and do a dyno run each time to compare. there is actually a graph of stock dyno with cam gear advanced 2 degrees and it made a few whp above 4k rpms. but really you only need em if you have engine work done or maybe turbo? it does not control lift or duration, only when the valves open and close. Since we have sohc, adjusting the cam affects both intake and exhaust. thats why dohc engines see much better gains from cam tuning.
Old 11-17-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
you don't need the 4k for a turbo. dezod motorsports is making an economy kit for around 2k and then you just need some few extra parts like fuel system to make it work. but under 3k for a low boost turbo is definately possible in the future and thats at least 25-50whp instant.
Old 11-17-2005

thanks for the info gearbox.....ill look into that dezod kit, because im really wanting more power...but my budget isnt allowing the more expensive kit come my way. but i also need a tourque converter and a overhaul kit for my auto tranny.

Old 11-17-2005
Registered!!

se7engen_riDe is an unknown quantity at this point
cam gears wont do jack to our cars unless you got turbo. dont get it if your motor is stock. you can get them if you order camshaft.
Old 11-18-2005
"mmmBAHHHH" - vtec y0

mugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond repute
take it from me bro nothing is worth buying for an auto
Old 11-18-2005

damn thats jacked......u see i was born with a ****ed up left hip...and i cant use clutch....if not then heck yess i would go 5 speed but i just cant...

Old 11-18-2005
Registered!!

that sucks man. but yea. i got an auto too. and damn it really pisses me off cuz of the slowness. if i were you i wouldnt bother fixing up the engine. just drop it, get some wheels, lip kit, tint window if you dont have it, and do a custom blackout headlight housing. you can always turbo an auto though.
Old 11-18-2005

well i basically have 18" wheels, Honda Aero Kit and some other exterior mods that make it stand out a bit, all i do need left is a drop i guess.
Old 11-18-2005
Registered!!

haha...nice. save up and get some coilovers and shocks.
Old 11-18-2005
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all
honestly i think you would notice more of a difference if you just leave the car in d2 if your going from 0-60 and switch to 15in or light 17's. Our auto trannies always tries to shift to the higher gear to save gas unless you really gun it.
Old 11-18-2005
Premium Member

if you floor it the rpm goes to redline auto or not.
Old 11-18-2005
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by gearbox
if you floor it the rpm goes to redline auto or not.
thats what i meant by gun it
Old 11-18-2005
"mmmBAHHHH" - vtec y0

mugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond repute
dude im just messin ive done stuff 2 my auto and just from experience nothing is really worth it.
Old 11-19-2005

haha yea mugenman im just sayin ur not the only person whos told me that so i get all sad and shyt lol but whatever i love my EM2 and idc if its worthless ima keep modding the F*** out of it but since im still 17 and in high school with an OK job at a audio and customs shop i think i should do jus a lil bit more, oh btw when im at a stop and i floor it why is it that i have poor acceleration until 4k rpms?? could it be my chrome 18" wheels?

Old 11-19-2005
Registered!!

its cause we don't really hit our power band until 4k+. Wow chrome 18's?!? Each wheel must weigh like 70lbs with tire . That'll do if you wanna kill your accerlation.
Old 11-19-2005

haha yea.....i kinda guessed that....but the power band at 4k??? wouldnt that be the VTEC kicking in?? i read the VTEC cam dont start till like 2500k RPMs.........can u clarify that for me?? lol

Old 11-19-2005
Registered!!

just look at gearbox's dyno. You notice the power goes up slowly and then there a steep increase in power after around 4k rpm

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=232543
Old 11-19-2005

yea, im guessing the Cam Gear might help me if i want lets say...3 whp??? anywho that dynochart looks good, i should go to dyno mine soon haha

Old 11-19-2005
Registered!!

blackdragon will become famous soon enoughblackdragon will become famous soon enough
this is our civics

the only engine/performance mod is gotta be turbo or a swap we all know that ish take some $$$. just my .02 cents
Old 11-19-2005
Premium Member

ya after 4k is the vtec
Old 11-19-2005

ya after 4k is the vtec
oh i see ok thats what i wanted to know lol thx gearbox, when i go into work today ima see if my boss can hook me up with a dyno run, then ill post it up here soon

Old 11-19-2005
Premium Member

yea and cam gear is worthless. don't forget you pay the same labor as a timing belt to have it installed.

Quick Reply: Are AEM Cam Gear(s) Worth Buying for an 04' EX Auto?